Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Morrowind vs. Oblivion?

Simply Morrowind vs. Oblivion?

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Morrowind

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

I liked oblivion more for some raisin.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Never played Morrowind, Oblivion itself was boring.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I actually have to go with Morrowind... but if you throw Daggerfall into the equation, you know what my answer is. Oblivion is 100x better with the HGEC though.

Wait. Why is this in the Role-Playing section?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Can't decide, they are both awesome. Oblivion have better graphics and voice acting but Morrowind is little better otherwise.

• Jesse01Jesse01 Member Posts: 8

Oblivion < Morrowind < modded Morrowind < modded Oblivion

True for me at least.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Graphically Oblivion winds hands down. Gameplay/story/world wise Morrowind all the way!

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Out of the Box without any mods: Morrowind. Add a ! to that.

With all the cool TES Nexus stuff Oblivion easily takes the crown... and the ! ;)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Morrowind is the better Rpg.

This doesn't mean Oblivions is a bad game.

I played Oblivion an obscene amount of hours (the out of box version) so I can't honestly bash the game.

Who made up this rule that a sequel needs to be better than the game before it inorder to be considered a good game?

Oblivion stands on its own as a masterpiece even if Morrowind was superior.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

Graphically Oblivion winds hands down. Gameplay/story/world wise Morrowind all the way!

Graphically and Combat wise Oblivion is better.

Sometimes graphics and combat are all that matters, especially in a sandbox rpg where the main storyline is the last thing the player is trying to complete.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Both excellent games

But Morrowind is a more complex and longer game

There are so many quests and subplots in Morrowind that you will take days discovering them

I suggest playing Morrowind first and then Oblivion..also if you want to really enhance your experience get a Mod that adds more and different monsters to the game .Martigens Monster Mod is amazing

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• peste_noirepeste_noire Member Posts: 1

Well never played morrowind but if it was like dagger fall then 100% morrowind.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Morrowind >>>>>>> Oblivion

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Daggerfall.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Game-play: Oblivion

Graphics: Oblivion

Mods: Oblivion

Atmosphere: Tie

World: Morrowind

Lore/story: Morrowind

Unmoded out of the box: Morrowind

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Daggerfall kept me up all night curing glacoma with headphones on when it came out!!

My little sisters were wayyyy into it too. I remember coming home one night and my goth sis had all the lights off with some candles on playing Daggerfall hahaha and I came up behind her and scared the shit out of her and she said that she thought that I was a bat out to get her (she was crawling a dungeon at the time). Morrowind was better and I did the same thing! Oblivion was pretty badass too . .. its hard to say which is best but Morrowind definitely had the most content but Daggerfall was the best by far for its time.

I bet that most girls would say that Daggerfall was the best because they had the most fashionable options. I think they were disappointed in the other in the sense that they could not try on as much stuff.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• HolySaint333HolySaint333 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Hands down Oblivion. I tried playing Morrowind to rekindle and that didn't go so well after having played the newer. Morrowind was the longer of the two. ( Or so thats how I remember it. )

If you ask my opinion I'd have to wait for my turn! :)

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Oblivion because of the one and only Chuck Norris!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDsL6HxE-S0

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

For me, Morrowind was a better sandbox, but Oblivion did a better job integrating storyline.

Long live the BLACK HAND!  *chuckle*   that was my favorite of anything in the last 10 years.

EDIT: also Oblivion eye-candy is still unmatched.  Looks fantastic at hi-res on modern hardware.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Daggerfall.

Isaiah 41:10
  • Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Not even a contest. 

Oblivion only does two things better than Morrowind

Combat

Graphics. 

Since one is a product of technology, it almost doesn't even count, because at its time Morrowind was BREATHTAKING, and with mods, it still is. 

Oblivion had less skills, less quests, less(and worse) story, no factions, no open ended quests, a more generic world, less things for NPCs to say, the horrific compass system, less important dungeons, less spells, less player freedom. 

Ugh, not saying Oblivion was a bad game, its fun for a bit, but Morrowind was sooo much more. 

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Definitely Morrowind. Sure, Oblivion was pretty and the combat mechanics were definitely better, but that was about it. The level scaling is really what did it in for me, though. The first time I ran into a gang of bandits in full glass and/or daedric armor, I was like "Alright, this is ridiculous." Morrowind had it too, but not nearly as bad. Add in the mod that got rid of Cliffracers and you were set.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Oblivion offers just as much freedom as Morrowind just in a different way.  I don't think there's an RPG on the planet that gives me more ways to interact with the world than Oblivion.

In contrast, Morrowind feels more like a traditional western RPG; however, there's a great deal more content in the game.

• 190100190100 Member UncommonPosts: 52

Morrowind's story and lack of level scaling was better, but the washed out bland graphics really killed it when I replayed it recently.

And somehow even on modern hardware it manages to pull some low framerates  at times :<

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Daggerfall.

Morrowind felt rather bleak compared to that, just a tiny game with more bells and whistles(gfx wise).

And then came Oblivion, with was bleak compared to Morrowind, but with more bells and whistles...

*sigh*

imageThe last of the Trackers