Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Mods by Pendra

Pendra made a few texture mods that make the game feel more realistic. No grids in sector space ect....they do not mess with the game client so if you use them your ok you wont get banned. Everything is on the website here's the link http://www.sto-advanced.com/ make sure you give Pendra props.

Here's some picsimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

yep i am useing them right now and they are awesome 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Is there a mod that makes the combat less boring?

foxgirl
  • D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Is there a mod that makes this a half-decent Star Trek game?

foxgirl
  • wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

Is there a mod that makes it a quarter decent star trek game?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Wow, you know a developer has failed when you need extensive mods to remove the crap they pushed in there. I have to say that without all the stupid nebulae and the grids in sector space the game looks about ten times better. It makes me wonder what other small design changes Cryptic could have made to vastly improve the game.

If I were to play this game again (and maybe I will in a free weekend or something,) I would not play it without this mod.

• Well i enjoy the game, the mods make it better and I agree just these little mods make it a different game. Now all we need is a mod that puts ambiant life o the planets and random ships in space.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Be careful using any mods; even though the files may not actually change the game client in any way, most companies are still not kosher with these types of mods. Give the EULA a healthy read and make sure you're not violating it if you use it. Kudos to the mod maker for doing what Cryptic has been unwilling to do for so long though; his work is good.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• nclownclow Member Posts: 28

I was wondering how this mod would work so I looked for a bit of technical information:

If you want to use it, DL the file and extract the texture_library folder to your STOLiveLocaldata folder. Restart STO and a good portion of the blue LCARs will be gone! Patching should not be a problem. If you want to turn it off and have your old LCARs back, just delete the files you extracted from the zip from your localdata exture_libraryenvironment… folder.

So this sounds like a fairly common technique (used in WoW and others) of putting a file in a resource directory, and letting the client automatically use that file instead of the packed one.

Assuming this works the way I think it does, the notion of whether this "modifies" the client is nebulous. The contents of the files on disk won't be altered. The process in memory will be, because a different file is being loaded than before.

I've always thought mods like this were just fine, because preferring to load an unpacked file over a packed file is very specific client behavior that the developer could trivially disable for their release builds if they wished. The developer may object anyway though.

If some sort of anti-cheating scan were examining only the files on disk, it would show that nothing had been changed. But if it's hashing blocks of system memory or doing file counts or even hooking its own file loading routine, it would be obvious something had changed. I have no idea what, if any, anti-cheating measures the STO client has.

Anyway, I love stuff like this. I hope fans create entire "graphics packs" and distribute them to spice up an otherwise humdrum game, and I hope that if Cryptic objects, they simply disable the feature, rather than declaring war on their own players.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by nclow

I was wondering how this mod would work so I looked for a bit of technical information:

So this sounds like a fairly common technique (used in WoW and others) of putting a file in a resource directory, and letting the client automatically use that file instead of the packed one.

Assuming this works the way I think it does, the notion of whether this "modifies" the client is nebulous. The contents of the files on disk won't be altered. The process in memory will be, because a different file is being loaded than before.

I've always thought mods like this were just fine, because preferring to load an unpacked file over a packed file is very specific client behavior that the developer could trivially disable for their release builds if they wished. The developer may object anyway though.

If some sort of anti-cheating scan were examining only the files on disk, it would show that nothing had been changed. But if it's hashing blocks of system memory or doing file counts or even hooking its own file loading routine, it would be obvious something had changed. I have no idea what, if any, anti-cheating measures the STO client has.

Anyway, I love stuff like this. I hope fans create entire "graphics packs" and distribute them to spice up an otherwise humdrum game, and I hope that if Cryptic objects, they simply disable the feature, rather than declaring war on their own players.

Whether or not it actually changes anything with the game files is moot; the important thing to know is what the company's policy is on such mods. With Funcom (AoC) and Blizzard (WoW), these types of mods that only effect looks on your end were forbidden the last time I checked. I don't know if there is anyway that they can actually detect the mods or not, but both companies made clear that they considered them to be violations of the EULA/ToS.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Mr_CyberpunkMr_Cyberpunk Member Posts: 71

Damn it seeing this makes me wish I hadn't given up modding the game. The devs really threatened me big time so it put me off continuing it.. plus I feel STO is fucked anyway, its not from a game perspective rather a business model perspective- that even if we modded the game so it was amazing, the developers wouldn't be able to keep the game profitable and all that effort will go to waste soon only to then be focused towards some kind of emulation.. and even that will be rare due to how terrible the game is and how unpopular it is right now.

But thankyou for the link, and if the developers of the mods are here I'm glad you guys are continuing the good fight.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by mbd1968

Is there a mod that makes the combat less boring?

To be fair, there is a FPS mod being worked on. By Cryptic. Can't find the dev post at the moment but apparently one of the builds in testing (i.e. dev testing, not player beta testing) right now is a FPS targetting version - where you miss if you don't aim correctly.

So long as it's optional I'm all for it - since it'll be a bit more intense for those players that like that sort of thing (in my case, I play Global Agenda for a bit when I want to have to target in an MMO)

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I realize this is an old post but it isn't locked, so replies are legit.

I don't know why anyone would make a mod to remove the grid in space since it has been an option in settings to turn off since day 1.