Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon - Why aren't you playing?

13»

Comments

• RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42

i was one of the few who gave alganon the benefit of the doubt and tried to see the positive things of it

but when derek smart took over i never bothered playing again because this man attacked me based on my grammar when i had negative feedback. (im not a native speaker)

not only that but he hasnt made anything worthwile in the past.

his unprofessionalism combined with his awfull atitude is enough for me to never touch alganon again

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

While there are a number of things that need to be fixed (like the giant hole in the capital city I just fell through and am stuck in until my recall recharges in 1/2 hour  - grrr), two things that could make an immediate impact (IMO) are:

1. Remove the non-communication limit for free players.  Socialization is a key component of a successful MMO. Create artificial barriers to communication and players won't like it.

2. Default the Social screen to search for all characters in your race, not just in your vicinity. Currently, in order to search who's online for your race, you have to enter a space into the query box.  That's silly.  Even without a default, maybe just a checkbox to search vicinity or race...

~Ripper

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Better games to play, don't like the character models, my reaver played almost exactly like a WoW warrior, level cap and no chat makes it more like an extended trial than true FTP, only saw 1 other player the entire time I spent ingame, and Derek Smart.

• YakCastYakCast Member Posts: 59

I will give the short sweet truth on why no one is playing this game.  They pissed off their player base by charging 40 bucks and then going with a monthly fee. Then they made the game 20 bucks and F2P. Even though they gave some credit back, this did not go well with people. I fully understand that and would have been upset as well. Now they keep changing their model and in desperation, they give you a trial that doesn't expire.  The problem is while the game is fun at first; this wears off after a few weeks. There is nothing special or unique to this game to keep people interested. You need to have something to separate from the dozens of other F2p or Pay to Win MMO's out there. Plus, they take forever to get out updates and patches. The game doesn't still feel 100% polished yet. It feels like more hobbies by the dev team, with their lack of updates and content. When Guild Wars 2 comes out, this will be the death of this game.

Yak Cast | MMO Podcast: http://www.yak.mmoSmackTalk.com
    Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk
    Follow me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/YakCast

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by YakCast

When Guild Wars 2 comes out, this will be the death of this game.

I think if folks are dedicated enough to Alganon to be playing now, they no doubt will continue to play no matter what.

And even if the whole Alganon playerbase gave up at the launch of GW2, what would they lose, $200 per month?

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

"Alganon - Why aren't you playing? "

Why on Earth are you and six other people playing it? That's the real question.

• greenbow54greenbow54 Member UncommonPosts: 128

If a developer doesn't atleast pretend to love his fan base, how can the fan base love his product?

Case in point - cigarettes.

I'm sure the CEO's of cigarette companies dont give a rats ass about the consumers that buy their products. But they keep their mouths shut unlike mr. Smart. If they came right out and said "fuck yo couch, and fuck yo lungs, I hope you get cancer because I drive a nice car and am way coolier than you", than people wouldn't buy that brand of cigarettes.

Derek Smart is the entire reason that i'll never try this, or any of his games.

@YakCast What does GW2 have to do with Alganon? There's no correlation, that I can see, and why that specific game over others?

@SnarlingWolf Because despite it's numerous issues, it's actually a pretty good game.  I'm enjoying the multitude of quests and having fun.  Besides, it's free (for now) and it's already installed on my hard drive :p 

Regarding Derek Smart, personally I went into playing the game with the intent to give Alganon an honest try, irrespective of what I've read, including the back-and-forth public pissing contest between David Allen and Derek Smart.  What I found was a game that suffers from a number of problems and a stupid, IMO, cash shop model, but that is actually pretty fun (at least for me). For the sake of my personal experience, my thoughts on Mr. Smart as a person are irrelevant to my experiences in game.  That being said, I read an interesting interview with him on Zam.  In regards to David Allen being removed, Derek Smart said

Basically the investors just got fed up of putting money into the company with the game not being released

and then commented further on David Allen missing dates, the game not being ready, etc.. Derek Smart further stated

Things came to a head when in mid-February it became obvious to me that the game, now scheduled for a March 1 release, was not going to make it, despite the fact that David kept saying that it would

All of that sounds reasonable, from a business perspective (Then again, David Allen's "The Real History of Quest Online" blog post was a good read and sounded reasonable, too, up until the point he started people-bashing).  The investors allegedly wanted to cut their losses, according to Derek Smart.  The only problem I have with this scenario is I don't consider Alganon to be a release-quality game six months after Mr. Smart's interview.  I don't think it's launch-ready (even though it obviously has launched, again).  So, what has Mr. Smart accomplished with the game?  Yes, it's launched, but it still suffers from major issues and the player base is almost non-existent. Even if the game is in a better state that it was when it originally "soft" launched, it's still mess, in my opinion (fun gameplay notwithstanding).

~Ripper

The reason why I bring up GW2 is that it will be a fully playible F2P that is not a pay to 2 win or a limated trial. It will be a million times better then Alganon. Better, classes, better game, and more people playing. Yes, Ncsoft and Arena Net have been around a lot longer and this game hsa been in develepement for 2-3 years. People who are playing a crapp F2P with almost no comunity and lack of content will block over to GW2.

Originally posted by YakCast

The reason why I bring up GW2 is that it will be a fully playible F2P that is not a pay to 2 win or a limated trial. It will be a million times better then Alganon. Better, classes, better game, and more people playing. Yes, Ncsoft and Arena Net have been around a lot longer and this game hsa been in develepement for 2-3 years. People who are playing a crapp F2P with almost no comunity and lack of content will block over to GW2.

GW2 is not F2P.  In order for it to be fully F2P, there can't be a barrier to entry.  Since they're charging for the client, it's not F2P.  Can you play free after having bought the license? Yes, but you still had to pay in order to do so and, if you buy at launch, it's $60.  It will also most likely have paid expansion and cash shop for fun items, like GW does.

No doubt GW2 will be very successful and will probably be a great game, but I don't think it's targeting the same market, personally.  F2P/Cash shop gamers aren't exactly  the same demographic, IMO.

~Ripper

Yes, you have to pay for the client. There is no monthly fee, is why I consider it free to play. It is a fully unlocked game and not a pay to win. It's also not pay as you play. Anyways, the question is will this game make it to the end of Q1 next year?

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

Another WoW clone?   Yeah just what we need.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

I voted "Other" because for me it is a combination of three reasons.

1.) Cash Shop (no I will not support a MMO with this no matter how good it is)

2.) "Cartoony" graphics (I do not play WoW for this very reason... if I wanted to watch cartoons I would get cable tv)

3.) Unacceptable Artwork on the MMO's main website (unacceptable to me as a father of 5 daughters) This tells me the Publishers think we players are hormone ruled idiots.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

At Level 80....

1) Paying $15 a month to get my 2 Frost Emblems per day, from a dungeon I have already done so many times I know it better than my own bathroom.

2) Paying $15 a month to get my PvP points once per day towards gear.

3) Paying $15 a month to wait and wait and wait for a Raid to form, after I have done both 1 and 2 , only to see the Raid fail.

Why can't MMO's have good quests with good loot, including at level 80, so I don't have to waste time like this.

Wait raid....fail....wait for raid....fail...oh I got my 2 frost emblems for the day  from a random dungeon cue....CYA!

(yes i shamelessly copypasted that from the WoW forums lol)

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by scuubeedoo

At Level 80....

1) Paying $15 a month to get my 2 Frost Emblems per day, from a dungeon I have already done so many times I know it better than my own bathroom.

2) Paying $15 a month to get my PvP points once per day towards gear.

3) Paying $15 a month to wait and wait and wait for a Raid to form, after I have done both 1 and 2 , only to see the Raid fail.

Why can't MMO's have good quests with good loot, including at level 80, so I don't have to waste time like this.

Wait raid....fail....wait for raid....fail...oh I got my 2 frost emblems for the day  from a random dungeon cue....CYA!

(yes i shamelessly copypasted that from the WoW forums lol)

this is a post for Alganon dude..Not wow...