Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best game out there!

Comments

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,706

Originally posted by xx19kilosold

Whatever your taste in games is, its always funny to see the "too cool for school" Lotro crowd  always feel the need to bag on other MMOs to prop up their own.

Just had to point out the irony of this post.  You claim that its the LotRO crowd that has to "bag" on other games to prop their's up.  That's all you've been doing with WoW since this post.  I thought it amusing, so just wanted to point that out.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I agree with the OP.

LOTRO is the best MMORPG.

My only gripe was that certain zones seemed to small, but after returning to it fter playing other MMORPGs, I am fine with it.

Several large RP guilds from Age of Conan including the guild I am in there, have already left AoC and come over to LOTRO, while some are still in the process.

LOTRO is immersive, exciting, and relaxing...and you can play hard core or casual.

Griefing is minimal, and the player community great.

Unlike WoW and AoC who have infantile a$$hat communties.

AoC was a good game ruined by players from the Tyranny PvP server transferring over to the Cimmeria PvP-RP server, where they harrased, griefed, ganked, locked out zones, and pretty much ruined the game for anyone not infantile enough to join their griefer guilds.

Good riddance Tyranny server players, you can have all of AoC.

Hopefully they will stay there, as the several RP guilds that came over to LOTRO from AoC are forming some nice alliances that will enhance an already positive and mature Rp environment within the great game that LOTRO is.

Other MMORPGs in a nutshell:

1) Wow:

If receiving 2 Frost emblems a day and a set number of PvP experience each day before you are locked out is your cup of tea, then WoW and its 2 million subscribers who Blizzard says cant be wrong, but who most will say are just stupid, is for you. Albiet, its fun to level in WoW, but once you get to level 80 the above comments about Frost emblems and pvP experience holds true. Also, if reading "your Mom" in trade chat, or in all chat channels in WoW doesnt annoy you, then yeah WoW is for you as well. Oh yeah, spamming trade chat to get into raids where the only criteria is your gear score, and watching these raids fail ia FUN.

2) AoC:

A token/emblem system worse than WoW's and new zones where you "bang rocks together" for hours, get locked out of zones by griefer guilds, play mini-games dominated by pre-mades from griefer guilds who always try and have one of there own on the opposite team, to just stand their to sabotage that team is FUN FUN.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Philby

However the art styles of the games are different which is why WOW graphics have held up so long and why lotros just look worse and worse.

WoW graphics were dated at WoWs release. Blizzard has always used the lowest possible graphics they could get away with even with DI and DII. They do this to maximize sales. They design their graphics so any 12 year old can play WoW on his hand me down off the shelf 9 year old Hewlett Packard from Office Depot.

here are the minimum specs from Blizzard. BTW the minimum graphics card the ATI Radeon was first released in 2001

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

Windows XP 32/64-Bit (Service pack 3)

Windows Vista 32/64-Bit (with the latest Service Packs)

Windows 7** 32/64-Bit (with the latest updates)

Processor:

Minimum: Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+

Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Memory:

Minimum: 512 MB RAM (1GB for Vista users)

Recommended: 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)

Video:

Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better

Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

I miss DAoC

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

@Daffid011

Lets just say we disagree and keep it at that. We are getting pretty offtopic and our quote war is getting to big anyway, especially as we seem to be the only ones participating in it. There will always be people who are happy with things as they are while there are other people that demand a change from how things are done. Thats just human nature and we won't ever come to a point where we agree on it.

• TimukasTimukas Member UncommonPosts: 695

Originally posted by Garvon3

LotRO is just a slightly better version of WoW.

It's the Wendy's to WoWs Mcdonalds. It was 100 times better in alpha when Turbine still called it Middle Earth Online and it wasn't a linear, immersion breaking single player game like it is today.

Why do companies even try to make a storyline or convincing world when you have moronic game mechanics like teleportation and "you can't enter that cave without the proper quest" all over the place. And who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to let everyone be a wizard and just ruin the lore?

LotRO has just been getting worse and worse since 2004.

Well lotro launchred in 2007 so it must have been getting worse during development?  As for a better version of WOW I would really like to know what lotro does better.

Yes, it got MUCH worse during development. I still have my Turbine Nation shirt from 2004 with the Middle Earth Online logo on it :( 

What does LotRO do better than WoW? Graphics, crafting, the music system, and the lore, as butchered as it is, is better in LotRO. Warcraft lore is just a hodgepodge of unoriginal ideas and themes ripped from Tolkien, at least LotRO IS Tolkien.

By three years after launch WOW was the MMO monster and remains so. Three years after launch lotro has gone F2P,.Some will tell you it was do to the success of DDO but I played lotro and I know what the population was before F2P and know how the game was stagnate at level 65.  I give you the crafting animations and I guess some enjoy the music but for graphics the character animations in lotro are pretty poor althought the scenery is nice. However the art styles of the games are different which is why WOW graphics have held up so long and why lotros just look worse and worse. If you watch cartoons at all you will see they all look pretty much like they did 10 years ago.  But for the OP, lotro may well be the best F2P game available but considering the competition that isnt much of a title.

Agree 100%.

Originally posted by Timukas.

Agree 100%.

so you think that a game that can be played with these specs is the ultimate in graphics design LOL

Processor:

Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Memory:

Video:

Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better

Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

I guess if you are playing on a 2001 off the shelf Compaq they are ok

I miss DAoC

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,593

Originally posted by Jackdog

I guess if you are playing on a 2001 off the shelf Compaq they are ok

Just made the move from EGA graphics!  :P

I think he was referring to the overall art style.  And while I get his point about cartoons, I still disagree.

And having gone back this weekend and trialed some old favorites, EQ2, WoW, CoX, I don't get the criticism LotRO gets for animations.  Sure, they aren't the best, but they're leaps ahead of any of those games.  WoW's are massively overexaggerated, even for a toonish game, and the other 2's running(what you spend most of your time doing) looks silly, especially in sprint mode".

Sure, those games are older, it should be expected that LotRO's animations look better.  But my point is, they do.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I always thought the animations in the game were pretty good.  Not mind blowing omg awesome, but good enough to keep me immersed in the gameplay.  I even like the more realistic approach to the character models.  They look realistic enough while not looking artificial, because they try to be ultra realisitic.  Weapons being proportional in size is a huge plus for me. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member RarePosts: 6,781

This post might be considered a troll to some, but it's my opinion of the problems I had with LotRO. I played for a couple months when it first came out. I also went back to check it out when it went FTP.

The gameplay feels sloppy. It's slow and unresponsive compared to other MMOs.

I felt completely and utterly bored. (With the exception of the instruments. I ended up standing around in town and playing them instead of the game). I'm saying far more bored than I ever felt in WoW. All I can say is - I would rather play a Flash tower defense game than spend another moment in LotRO.

Best game (MMORPG) out there? As a game, in my opinion, not even in the top 10.

The game looks great though. Especially for how demanding it is on PCs. They made it look beautiful without bringing PCs to their knees. Other MMO companies should take a page out of their book when considering graphics requirements vs. quality.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by KyngBills

...Not sure where the hate comes from with this Game...

Mostly from the MEO crowd that to this day compares it to some dream game in their head that never existed...

...or folks that saw the movies, and wonder where all this Mithrandir, Elbereth,etc. "gay stuff" came from...

...and now, the anti-cash shop/FTP people.

Oh good to see you're back to trolling.

Sorry, but Middle Earth Online did indeed exist, it was played and seen by many, including myself. I've got the Tshirts and screenshots to prove it. At least when you troll, try to have something concrete behind it, yeesh.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Timukas

LotRO is just a slightly better version of WoW.

It's the Wendy's to WoWs Mcdonalds. It was 100 times better in alpha when Turbine still called it Middle Earth Online and it wasn't a linear, immersion breaking single player game like it is today.

Why do companies even try to make a storyline or convincing world when you have moronic game mechanics like teleportation and "you can't enter that cave without the proper quest" all over the place. And who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to let everyone be a wizard and just ruin the lore?

LotRO has just been getting worse and worse since 2004.

Well lotro launchred in 2007 so it must have been getting worse during development?  As for a better version of WOW I would really like to know what lotro does better.

Yes, it got MUCH worse during development. I still have my Turbine Nation shirt from 2004 with the Middle Earth Online logo on it :( 

What does LotRO do better than WoW? Graphics, crafting, the music system, and the lore, as butchered as it is, is better in LotRO. Warcraft lore is just a hodgepodge of unoriginal ideas and themes ripped from Tolkien, at least LotRO IS Tolkien.

By three years after launch WOW was the MMO monster and remains so. Three years after launch lotro has gone F2P,.Some will tell you it was do to the success of DDO but I played lotro and I know what the population was before F2P and know how the game was stagnate at level 65.  I give you the crafting animations and I guess some enjoy the music but for graphics the character animations in lotro are pretty poor althought the scenery is nice. However the art styles of the games are different which is why WOW graphics have held up so long and why lotros just look worse and worse. If you watch cartoons at all you will see they all look pretty much like they did 10 years ago.  But for the OP, lotro may well be the best F2P game available but considering the competition that isnt much of a title.

Agree 100%.

Thanks to the Blizzard marketing machine. Thats the key behind the success of WoW. Both LotRO and WoW were not really that good and didn't do much of anything new (nothing in WoWs case), but its clear to see one is higher quality than the other.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

However the art styles of the games are different which is why WOW graphics have held up so long and why lotros just look worse and worse.

WoW graphics were dated at WoWs release. Blizzard has always used the lowest possible graphics they could get away with even with DI and DII. They do this to maximize sales. They design their graphics so any 12 year old can play WoW on his hand me down off the shelf 9 year old Hewlett Packard from Office Depot.

here are the minimum specs from Blizzard. BTW the minimum graphics card the ATI Radeon was first released in 2001

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

Processor:

Memory:

Video:

Of course WOW will run on about any PC and im sure that thought went into devlepment. But that doesn change my point which is,  while the graphics are cartoony, cartoons animations havnt changed much in 10 years whereas LOTRO went for a more realistic scheme which isnt all that real looking and ages much faster than the cartoon style. As for 12 year olds playing it I hope you arnt trying to convey that LOTRO is something complex and challenging. You see, ive played both games and neither game is what I would call hard. Since the move to F2P im sure there are several 12 year olds playing LOTRO while you are here defending the game.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Raserei

I been playing MMORPG's since Sierra's The Realm (First graphical online RPG). I have played WoW since launch, EQ2, EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, AC, AC2, UO, Fallen Earth, Lineage 2, Aion, and the list goes on...

I tried LOTRO and got myself to level 21 and the journey has been like no other. Theres so much to do and Im only level 21.

-Crafting

-Exploring

-Hunting monsters for items (Loot system is like Diablo 2)

-Hunting rare spawns

-Group dungeons (Which scale to your level until the level cap)

-Skirmishes  ***starting at level 20 (Scenario type missions with various goals. Train your own soldier to fight by your side. VERY fun feature)

-End game raiding (I think this starts at 50, and the cap is 65)

-PvP (LOTRO has a unique PvP system called MONSTER PLAY. You can create a monster and level him up jut like your main hero in a zone called Ettinmoore. The hero characters level up in the normal game and join the Ettinmoores later on and the PvP is about territorial control. Theres also raids to fight over in the Ettinmoores.)

-Music (You can literally play a bunch of instruments IN GAME with your keyboard. Come play the Zelda theme song at your local inn and earn some tips!)

-Customization (Theres costumes, dyes, and many ways to customize your look)

-Character playstyle (Every class has multiple playstyles. DPS, healer, tank, support, you name it.... Theres a very indepth TRAIT system which allows you to be what you want.)

-Directx 10

-Directx 11 (Ultra beautiful graphics)

Very good reason you should play this game starting this weekend:

They released 3 new servers... This game is 3 years old. To be able to start fresh on a new server is very unique to MMORPG's. This doesnt happen often for any game this old. There will be a wave of new players, veterans, returning players ALL looking for a new start. Try out the game!

The only thing that LotRO lacks is great pvp, which is fine with me. I enjoy the other aspects of the game and have for the past 3 plus years. :)  One thing though that I wanted to correct you on Raseri on is the assertion that "The Realm" by Sierra was the first Graphical MMO.

I guess many forget that the game population wasn't what many would consider "Massive" so with that in mind, then there were others before "The Realm". Drakkar comes to mind or even NWN on AOL and Sierras Twinion, all three of those existed in the early 1990s.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Rocketeer

Originally posted by Daffid011

Eve has no where close to the graphic assets of a typical fantasy based mmo, not even close.  I think it was a poor comparison to bring up as if all fantasy mmos should update their graphics, because eve has updated the "graphics" or they are someday going to get around to finally adding ambulation into the game.   Which will be the same half a dozen objects reskinned and recycled into 5,000 starbases.  Again, not taking anything away from the game, but the amount of graphic assets in eve is tiny compared to landmass mmos and still will be after ambulation is added.

[1] The devteam working on the same features is also tiny. I do not expect the same work from a 20 man construction team then i do from a 200 man construction team, why is THAT so hard to understand? When i look at what they plan for Cataclysm i think "thats it?", not even mentioning that they cancelled half the actually innovative and cool features ... 

EQ2 is doing a better job at what now?  You go over to the eq2 forums and see just how happy the players are there with the speed and quantity of content that soe has been adding.  Serious, go there and look at just how pleased the playerbase is with the subpar, lacking expansions that have been dragging the game down for years.   I don't think you could have picked a worse example to support your claim that more should come out faster.  The last eq2 expansion was the worst to ever hit and it had an extra 3 months of development time. 

[2] When did i say more should come out faster? I picked EQ2 exactly because just bringing more of what you have is such a bad example, because thats what EQ2 did. And WoW does the same, sure the content is more polished, but the mentality of "lets throw some more instances at people and raise the level so they have to farm all their gear again" is the same. 

I don't think wow needs a graphics update just because other games have had them, that is your expectation, but it certainly isn't a requirement for everyone else.  I don't that blizzard should be expected to match every single game change made in every other mmo, just because they have more money. 

[3] Every MMO thats supposed to stand the test of time and stay competitive needs a a graphics update somewhere down the line. EvE wouldn't be where it was today with the original client, and even WoW has a stagnant/shrinking population these days while the MMO market as such keeps growing. This is mainly due to graphics imho. 5 year old graphics are not much of a problem in the buisness, 10 year old ones however are a no go for a AAA title. The only reason to never upgrade your graphics is if your fine with your game slowly dieing due to already working on a successor.

Perhaps I am not the one who is blindly doing something here.  More money isn't a guarentee of being able to do more and maintain the same level of quality, but you continually go back to that as your basis for everything.  I feel my $15 at wow gets more quality that any other mmo on the market does.  You expect more, so you feel you get less. 

[4] I don't want more or want it faster, i want to see something besides one dimensional progression. The speed they deliver content with is very good, i just do not agree with their 99% focus on certain features like raids or PvP.

And yes, more money is indeed a guerantee to be able to do more, but in limits. It doesn't increase quality thats true, but it also doesn't necessarily lower quality. Money is exactly the difference between a game in maintenance mode and a healthy game. You can't run a MMO without devs, and devs cost money. 

Why do you think so many games fail out of the gate?  They try to do to much to fast.  Look at what happened to warhammer, to much to fast.  400 developers, nearly $100 million dollars and it produced a horribly broken, unfinished game, because they tried to do to much to fast.  Why you can't recognize this trend in mmos is beyond me. 

[5] You see, thats one of the points you just refuse to understand. Do you really not see the difference between a game on a release schedule with 0 income and about to go gold in X months and a game already released and with secured income? Blizzard can take all the time they want to add that new ROFLcopter feature they are working on, it doesn't matter if they take 3 weeks or 3 months, they are under no pressure. They can take all the time they want to polish it, then announce it when its almost done and everyone will be happy.

Go read this dev blog about what happened to APB and listen to what happens when they got a ton of money and started adding more and more developers.   LINK 

[6] I actually read all of it, and i have to say it has absolutely no bearing on what we talk about. Its about faulty developement decisions, bad public relations and the growing pains and internal problems of a rapidly growing new dev house. What exactly has this to do with Blizzard? You think everything Blizzard stands for will crumble if they hire 15 new graphic designers to redo the textures of Stormwind and other cities? Or if they assign some small team to work on aerial combat or adding 50 new emotes or somesuch it would totally make their game crumble because they "threw money at it"?

You keep saying that more money should produce more and better things, but almost the entire history of mmos speaks directly against your opinion.

[7] You simply do not understand the difference between prerelease developement and postrelease developement. Name a single game that had a successful launch(which is hard to do without throwing money btw)  and then went bellyup because the devs added to much content or too much money was invested into it. It doesn't happen. MMO players as a rule are ecstatic over any game addition that does not screw with prior established gameplay, you really can't go wrong if your mindful of that, its impossible. Worstcase your new content doesn't get the attention you thought it will get.

[1]

The team size working on the eve graphic project is tiny, because it isn't a hard project.  It isn't even fair to make this comparison, because the scope and challenge of each is so drastically different it isn't even funny.  That goes for just about any landmass mmo compared to eve. 

[2]

Wow adds plenty of new systems to the game and does so in a quality manner.  EQ2 on the other hand is marked by lack of quality, consistancy and many other issues.  You said eq2 does the same as wow and does it better.  Square peg round hole my friend.  Again, go see what the eq2 players say about their dev team and their results and tell me if you think your example is a good one, because eq2 is a shining example of a game that tries to do to much, to fast and has returned poor results. 

[3]

I see an mmo market that is filled with games that are closing, merging servers and resorting to desperation moves to try to bring in any new blood they can get.  I'm positive almost every other mmo would love to be able to say they are "stagnant" like wow is.  I'm just saying.

Again, a huge graphic update isn't manditory.  It certainly didn't help EQ, caused a number of problems and didn't really keep the games look updated.  Example of a company with deep pockets, large dev team that tried to do to much to fast POST RELEASE.  Still need more examples?

[4]

Here it is at last.  Blizzard is listening to their playerbase by giving them more raids and pvp.  Sorry you want something else, but most players like the direction blizzard is going.  Just because your personal desires are not being met, doesn't mean nothing is being done.  You seem to be rather dismissive in your views because of this. 

Adding more devs adds more management, more layers of distance away from the focus, more working parts that need to be tracked in changes and most importantly more to be tested (where most games fail).  There is a point of diminishing returns and simply throwing money and new employees at something doesn't mean it will work. 

[5]

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't understand.  Do you really think time tables go away after releasing a game or that suddenly resources magically become available?  The reason these companies have zero dollars is because... they try to do to much and fail to create a decent product as a result!  They are getting to this point for exactly the reasons I have been discussing.   

Think about it for just one second and you will see that.  It doesn't matter if it is pre-release like warhammer or post release like EQ2 did with the combat revamp, adventure pack and deserts of flames expansion all at the same time.  To much to fast results in poor quality and a lack of consistent product. 

[6]

I think it is funny how you glibly say 50 emotes as if it is some trivial task to create or that hiring 15 artists to redo stormwind would go anywhere near the graphics revamp you think is so manditory for a game to survive.  How many devs do you really think it would take to work on such a project?  Maybe that is why you are I are on such a different page.  You seem to think that because a company has lots of money they can just add tons of developers to do more work and that it could not possibly affect the overall outcome of the games development. 

The way you talk about ariel combat as if it is some small project that wouldn't affect other parts of the game engine and in turn other projects being worked on makes me question how serious you are on this issue.  These are not some tiny remote little islands that require no effort and can be worked on at whatever pace they want without regard to the rest of the games development. 

I think you are really smart, but I don't think you are seeing this as clearly as you could. 

[7]

Again, just because I do not agree with your does not mean I do not understand.  I never said a game went belly up from adding to much did I?  I said it can cause problems and I have given you numberous examples of both happening pre and post release.  

Where are your examples?  You have no problem holding my feet to the fire so to speak, but all you seem to have to offer is your own personal desires and some theories. 

does this include the walking in station devs in EVE?

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Originally posted by Raserei

I been playing MMORPG's since Sierra's The Realm (First graphical online RPG). I have played WoW since launch, EQ2, EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, AC, AC2, UO, Fallen Earth, Lineage 2, Aion, and the list goes on...

I tried LOTRO and got myself to level 21 and the journey has been like no other. Theres so much to do and Im only level 21.

-Crafting

-Exploring

-Hunting monsters for items (Loot system is like Diablo 2)

-Hunting rare spawns

-Group dungeons (Which scale to your level until the level cap)

-Skirmishes  ***starting at level 20 (Scenario type missions with various goals. Train your own soldier to fight by your side. VERY fun feature)

-End game raiding (I think this starts at 50, and the cap is 65)

-PvP (LOTRO has a unique PvP system called MONSTER PLAY. You can create a monster and level him up jut like your main hero in a zone called Ettinmoore. The hero characters level up in the normal game and join the Ettinmoores later on and the PvP is about territorial control. Theres also raids to fight over in the Ettinmoores.)

-Music (You can literally play a bunch of instruments IN GAME with your keyboard. Come play the Zelda theme song at your local inn and earn some tips!)

-Customization (Theres costumes, dyes, and many ways to customize your look)

-Character playstyle (Every class has multiple playstyles. DPS, healer, tank, support, you name it.... Theres a very indepth TRAIT system which allows you to be what you want.)

-Directx 10

-Directx 11 (Ultra beautiful graphics)

Very good reason you should play this game starting this weekend:

They released 3 new servers... This game is 3 years old. To be able to start fresh on a new server is very unique to MMORPG's. This doesnt happen often for any game this old. There will be a wave of new players, veterans, returning players ALL looking for a new start. Try out the game!

The only thing that LotRO lacks is great pvp, which is fine with me. I enjoy the other aspects of the game and have for the past 3 plus years. :)  One thing though that I wanted to correct you on Raseri on is the assertion that "The Realm" by Sierra was the first Graphical MMO.

I guess many forget that the game population wasn't what many would consider "Massive" so with that in mind, then there were others before "The Realm". Drakkar comes to mind or even NWN on AOL and Sierras Twinion, all three of those existed in the early 1990s.

agreed, if they made pvp meaningful, the game would be a blast.

Mostly from the MEO crowd that to this day compares it to some dream game in their head that never existed...

...or folks that saw the movies, and wonder where all this Mithrandir, Elbereth,etc. "gay stuff" came from...

Sorry, but Middle Earth Online did indeed exist, it was played and seen by many, including myself. I've got the Tshirts and screenshots to prove it. At least when you troll, try to have something concrete behind it, yeesh.

Will the "many", please stand up and be recognized...

...and tell me, in specific terms, how much of Middle Earth you saw in MEO and what made it better than Turbines finished product...  cuz somehow, I feel I have more faith in my view of Turbines LotRO, having played hundrreds of hours, than someone who is likely pretending to be someone who played an empty demo for 5 minutes during a conference for MEO...  

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Hehe, lots of intertwined arguing going on between folks in this thread :D I'm not gonna join.

Facts instead:

- post numbers are again crazy on this board, up to a level only found around launch of the original game in 2007

- servers are packed with new players. Even in EU - yesterday, Tuesday evening at 11:30 PM i have managed to find a PUG to do some FS quests... in EVENDIM. Whoever knows the game will understand what this means :)

Also, my kinship is booming like crazy. 

It IS indeed a great time to check back to the game.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

...and tell me, in specific terms, how much of Middle Earth you saw in MEO and what made it better than Turbines finished product...  cuz somehow, I feel I have more faith in my view of Turbines LotRO, having played hundrreds of hours, than someone who is likely pretending to be someone who played an empty demo for 5 minutes during a conference for MEO...  

I folowed this game since it's origins when Sierra was the publisher wayyyyy back in 1998. See Joe Ludwigs blogs for the demise of that iteration of the game

http://programmerjoe.com/2007/05/28/whatever-happened-to-middle-earth-online/

picked back up on it when Vivendi hired Turbine to develop it

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/45/view/news/page/33/read/98/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-Vivendi-announced-Middle-Earth-Online.html

almost cried when Vivendi cancled it once WoW was released and was a hit. A small factoid for those not in the know Vivendi owns a majority of Blizzard, 54% last I heard. Anyway Turbine bought the rights and changed the name from MEO to LoTRO in 2005.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6120882.html

There was never even a alpha of MEO except a internal one so Garvon you are either a ex Turbine or Sierra employee or you are well..... now is a good chance you might own a T shirt because they were sold at various game expos

I miss DAoC

I folowed this game since it's origins when Sierra was the publisher wayyyyy back in 1998. See Joe Ludwigs blogs for the demise of that iteration of the game

http://programmerjoe.com/2007/05/28/whatever-happened-to-middle-earth-online/

picked back up on it when Vivendi hired Turbine to develop it

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/45/view/news/page/33/read/98/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-Vivendi-announced-Middle-Earth-Online.html

almost cried when Vivendi cancled it once WoW was released and was a hit. A small factoid for those not in the know Vivendi owns a majority of Blizzard, 54% last I heard. Anyway Turbine bought the rights and changed the name from MEO to LoTRO in 2005.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6120882.html

There was never even a alpha of MEO except a internal one so Garvon you are either a ex Turbine or Sierra employee or you are well..... now is a good chance you might own a T shirt because they were sold at various game expos

Yep, that's pretty much what I recall.  I guess to some people, watching a 60 second youtube video of pseudo-gameplay footage = playing a game.

• TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

I haven't played LOTRO yet but if so many people believe it is the Best MMORPG it is worth a try.

• MCEscherMCEscher Member Posts: 97

Hey Raserai! I played The Realm as well :D  Although I believe Meridian 59 was out before The Realm, I know what you're saying.  I also would happen to agree that LOTRO is the best MMO out there.  The game is amazing.

• Originally posted by Tahamtan

I haven't played LOTRO yet but if so many people believe it is the Best MMORPG it is worth a try.

Yeah man don't let this one pass, especially if you have watched the movies and even moreso...if you have read the book!

• TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by Powermike

Originally posted by Tahamtan

Yeah man don't let this one pass, especially if you have watched the movies and even moreso...if you have read the book!

I loved the movies but unfortunately not read the books. But still a big fan of Tolkien. Should play then game soon.

I loved the movies but unfortunately not read the books. But still a big fan of Tolkien. Should play then game soon.

It's a bit different from the movies... it adheres more to the books, but give it a shot, anyhoo...

Not that I have an issue with the movies... lotsa stuff in the books that a moviegoer could care less about.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

As a huge fan of the books, I was actually put off by the game's design of following a storyline I'm extremely familiar with. Would have much preferred a game based on the IP not on the specific storyline. That, plus there being only one faction, made the game a little too shallow to keep me interested for more than a month or two.

However I will admit outside those two issues, its an amazing game.