Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speculation: SWTOR will have an in-game cash shop

First off let me say that i am not in the Beta nor is anyone i know, and the links i will provide as rationale for my speculation are public links.

 

Two little nuggets from the internet make me speculate that SW:TOR will have an in game cash shop.

 

First off there is this link that pays heavy emphasis on "points" specifically lines H through K so it seems testing of the "points" system is important to Bioware and EA.

http://www.swtor.com/game-testing-agreement

the second was the recent announcement of a Java based transaction system in game:

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-loa.html

«1

Comments

  • donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

    i hope there is a cash shop!  Im going to play this game so damn hard my computer is going to melt!!!

  • agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

    "...the entire back-end ecommerce suite for the game is 100 percent Java..."

     

    Whoa! That doesn't sound like good news to those of us who prefer level playing field subscription games.

  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

    I actually like java myself.  so i don't see a problem with a game being one hundred percent java.

    Anyhow i'm not worried until i see what the cash shop includes.  Mot of what Eq2 was just fluff items anyhow and i'm sure star wars fans will love their fluff items to make themselves even more jedi looking then before.

    Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

    Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

    image

  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,542

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    I'm in the same boat.

    I'll play it. If I like it I'll continue. If not I'll do something else.

    all pretty spooky if you ask me.




  • SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

    Originally posted by agaga

    "...the entire back-end ecommerce suite for the game is 100 percent Java..."

     

    Whoa! That doesn't sound like good news to those of us who prefer level playing field subscription games.

    This is some major jumping to conclusions.   Even if there is a cash shop, it may well be full of fluff items and not sell any items to make the game unbalanced, lots of MMOs have cash shops like that.

  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

    Originally posted by Sovrath

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    I'm in the same boat.

    I'll play it. If I like it I'll continue. If not I'll do something else.

    all pretty spooky if you ask me.

    image

     

    I have more to worry about than whether this game has a cash shop...especially when someone reads into...

     

    Just play and THEN make a choice, for f**ks sake...

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,395

    I Don't know about the second part, but the first part, every single MMO out has something very very similar in their ToS.

    Do I expect MTs? Yup.  Do I expect fluff and such? Yup.

    Do I expect Lightsaber +2 and jedi Armor of the sith +1. Nope.  They aren't THAT dumb.

  • AgamemmnonAgamemmnon Member Posts: 37

    Originally posted by Relampago

    First off let me say that i am not in the Beta nor is anyone i know, and the links i will provide as rationale for my speculation are public links.

     

    Two little nuggets from the internet make me speculate that SW:TOR will have an in game cash shop.

     

    First off there is this link that pays heavy emphasis on "points" specifically lines H through K so it seems testing of the "points" system is important to Bioware and EA.

    http://www.swtor.com/game-testing-agreement

    the second was the recent announcement of a Java based transaction system in game:

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-loa.html

    HAHAHA omg.........äääääähmmmmmmm, ok no news, so make some up?

    Or did you honsetly misunderstand, because english is not your native language (as it isnt mine ;))?

    Are you referring to: "Moore also explained that the entire back-end ecommerce suite for the game is 100 percent Java." ??

    If YES, than know, that this statement ESPECIALLY in this context has NOTHING, not even the slightest indicator in it, that might point towards an cash shop (not saying there wont be one ;))).

    They are talking about oracle databases and bakend authentification stuff, as well as E-Commerce, like being able to log on to something and enter creditcard information, managing billing stuff and so on.

     

    Best Regards

  • wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

    It probably will.  This is the way of MMORPG future like it or not. Personally i'm just fine with cash shops but I know so, so many are not, but all I can say is if you don't like it you better get used to it.

    image
  • dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    Thats exactly the way I see it. However we can all discuss the game.

  • agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    Well, isn't that a little like saying: 'Hmm, I won't judge a film by chatroom comments, fan discussiona or newspaper previews, I'll just go and trust the studio advertising'?

  • alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 235

    Originally posted by agaga

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    Well, isn't that a little like saying: 'Hmm, I won't judge a film by chatroom comments, fan discussiona or newspaper previews, I'll just go and trust the studio advertising'?

    Nope. Its saying I won`t judge a film by chatroom comments , fan discussions or newspaper previews , I`ll just go and WATCH IT MYSELF ... then judge !

    image

  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 317

    Originally posted by agaga

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    Well, isn't that a little like saying: 'Hmm, I won't judge a film by chatroom comments, fan discussiona or newspaper previews, I'll just go and trust the studio advertising'?

    Actually that isnt a great correlation since those who are allowed to preview the game as it stands now arent allowed to discuss it but your core point is valid.  We need to base our decisions on what information we have in hand and it is best not to only trust those who monetarily benefit from your consumption of their product.

     

    Having said that my post is not an opinion about in game shops or the game itself, i am actually looking forward to the game.

     

    The post was strictly about what i felt was enough proof to allow me to speculate that there will be an ingame cash shop.  Personally i am against in game cash shops but i think Bioware is smart enough not to make it an imbalancing factor in the game and i will personally just ignore it.  What i am more afraid of is a tight integration with the game client blurring the line between the shop and an ingame client purchase initiated by playtime actions.

  • LonestryderLonestryder Member UncommonPosts: 170

    Originally posted by SwampRob

    Originally posted by agaga

    "...the entire back-end ecommerce suite for the game is 100 percent Java..."

     

    Whoa! That doesn't sound like good news to those of us who prefer level playing field subscription games.

    This is some major jumping to conclusions.   Even if there is a cash shop, it may well be full of fluff items and not sell any items to make the game unbalanced, lots of MMOs have cash shops like that.

     This argument isn't really valid, though. One person's fluff items are another's...

  • LonestryderLonestryder Member UncommonPosts: 170

    Originally posted by wildtalent

    It probably will.  This is the way of MMORPG future like it or not. Personally i'm just fine with cash shops but I know so, so many are not, but all I can say is if you don't like it you better get used to it.

     

    ...or not. This isn't a mandatory exercise.

     

    Be the change you want to see in the world.

  • ElidienElidien Member RarePosts: 1,375

    I love how "cash shop" "in-game store" or "micro-transactions" are the new buzz words. No offense to the OP, but using word like that, without a detailed explanation of the extent you think they shop will extend, leads me to think the post was only to try and incite anger in the community.

    As much as people here like to argue about a cash shop, most posters understand that its not the shop itself that is the issue but the extent of what is sold. Almost all MMO's have some sort of cash shop these days be it fluff items or things like name changes or server transfers. The issue is how far does the shop go, For me, specifically, does the shop allow the players to "buy" their success or buy their way to the top? Can the buys get something that I cannot?

    So honestly, your speculation may be accurate but for many of us, we won't care or make a decision about it until we know the extent that the shop allows a player do.

  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

    Originally posted by agaga

    Originally posted by Slampig

    I am the only idiot here that is willing to wait and play the game at release? Then after having done so, I will make a decision... Wow, how odd is that?

    Well, isn't that a little like saying: 'Hmm, I won't judge a film by chatroom comments, fan discussiona or newspaper previews, I'll just go and trust the studio advertising'?

    It would actually be more like saying: "Hmm, I won't judge a film by fan discussions by people who haven't even seen the movie yet, I'll just go and decide for myself if I liked the movie"

     

    Personally, I'd have the approach "I read the comments about the film by people who haven't seen it with amusement, but start making up my mind more concretely when objective previews by reporters who've actually seen the movie start to come in".

     


    Originally posted by Elidien

    As much as people here like to argue about a cash shop, most posters understand that its not the shop itself that is the issue but the extent of what is sold. Almost all MMO's have some sort of cash shop these days be it fluff items or things like name changes or server transfers.

    I agree. Most MMORPG's have some cash shop these days, we will have to see after launch how it's given shape for SW:TOR.

    The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

    The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 317

    Originally posted by Elidien

    I love how "cash shop" "in-game store" or "micro-transactions" are the new buzz words. No offense to the OP, but using word like that, without a detailed explanation of the extent you think they shop will extend, leads me to think the post was only to try and incite anger in the community.

    As much as people here like to argue about a cash shop, most posters understand that its not the shop itself that is the issue but the extent of what is sold. Almost all MMO's have some sort of cash shop these days be it fluff items or things like name changes or server transfers. The issue is how far does the shop go, For me, specifically, does the shop allow the players to "buy" their success or buy their way to the top? Can the buys get something that I cannot?

    So honestly, your speculation may be accurate but for many of us, we won't care or make a decision about it until we know the extent that the shop allows a player do.

    1) This post was not meant to incite anger in the community just to point out correlation among factual information to make an educated guess about an ingame feature.  I cannot provide a detail explanation of the extent in which i think the shop will extend (i assume you mean item types available in the shop) because i have seen no information out there to support any opinion on this.  I dont understand why a simple pointing out of information leads people to believe in nefarious motives.  If you want to speculate on motives do your research and look into my prior posts on TOR you will see i am optomistic and eager about the project.

     

    2) For the most part i agree with the remainder of your post, i will be preordering this and cant wait to get my hands on it myself no matter what the cash shop is like.  As i play it the extent of the cash shop's effect on gameplay will be only 1 of many factors in deciding how long i will subscribe.

  • KlizziKlizzi Member Posts: 110

    I wouldn't mind being able to buy non-stat items or just pretty things like WoW does, but if you can purchase an advantage over another player than that's just going the Korean styled cash shop way which has proven to not work in the Euro/NA market.

  • Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

    Originally posted by Swanea

    I Don't know about the second part, but the first part, every single MMO out has something very very similar in their ToS.

    Do I expect MTs? Yup.  Do I expect fluff and such? Yup.

    Do I expect Lightsaber +2 and jedi Armor of the sith +1. Nope.  They aren't THAT dumb.

    And even if they are it isn't important with the RMT Lightsabre +2 and Jedi Armor +1 unless SWTOR is very PvP centric.

    All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 893

    If swtor has cash shop i will make it my lifes work to dos the fuck out of their servers so the game is unplayable.

  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,883

    Of course this game will have a cash shop...

    lol have any of you actually been following Bioware at all since they became EA's little cash cow?

    Very naive to even doubt it considering.

  • agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

    Originally posted by vesavius

    Of course this game will have a cash shop...

    lol have any of you actually been following Bioware at all since they became EA's little cash cow?

    Very naive to even doubt it considering.

    I agree - buit I wonder to what extent:

    - Subscription with some fluff items?

    - Free but with so many things dependent on the cash shop[ that you end up paying the equivalent of more than a monthly sub?

  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

    *Looks into Crystal Ball*

     

    SW:TOR will have in it's ingame shop :

     


    • Tickets for the Superbowl

    • Real life Lightsaber

    • Purchasable Manual : How to recognise a sister and not make out accidentally

    • Access to indestructable ingame Yoda character

    • A Bowl of Cornflakes
Sign In or Register to comment.