Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic as in the story of The Old Republic

DicharekDicharek Member UncommonPosts: 177

Simple questions, to lazy to look them up. I figure lots of people here will know the answer to these questions anyway and can provide fast responses.

Loved the KoTOR games and is somewhat disappointed about the saga evolving into an MMO, will KoTOR manage to deliever the feel and storytelling of the originals or will it be questgrinding àla everquest but with voice-acting?

Will there be any level-grind? I would like to continue the story without having to grind a 1000 ewoks in order to be able to continue the story.

Will the immersion be there? Will I be the "special one" or will it feel like I'm the 32,194th guy that NPC says that to?

Perhaps the only answer I'll get will be pure speculation as noone may know. Still, there should be alot more qualified guesses than mine out there.

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Dicharek

Simple questions, to lazy to look them up. I figure lots of people here will know the answer to these questions anyway and can provide fast responses.

Loved the KoTOR games and is somewhat disappointed about the saga evolving into an MMO, will KoTOR manage to deliever the feel and storytelling of the originals or will it be questgrinding àla everquest but with voice-acting?

Will there be any level-grind? I would like to continue the story without having to grind a 1000 ewoks in order to be able to continue the story.

The tendency in the other recent "themepark" MMOs such as EQ2 and WoW has been to allow leveling 100% via questing.  So I expect you'll never need to grind 1000 ewoks between quests.  It's entirely possible that killing a few ewoks will be part of several of your quests, thereby making it part of the storyline.  I doubt you will be able to level up by constantly saying "i'm a peaceful jedi and refuse combat". 

Will the immersion be there? Will I be the "special one" or will it feel like I'm the 32,194th guy that NPC says that to?

Immersion depends more on the player than on the game, so I don't know.  To the second question - it's both - you'll be the 32,194th "special one" that the NPC says the same thing to.

Perhaps the only answer I'll get will be pure speculation as noone may know. Still, there should be alot more qualified guesses than mine out there.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Well, Bioware's goal seems to be to have questing more the depth and intensity that it can have in singleplayer games like KOTOR and ME, if they succeed in this we'll have to see after launch, although early reports seem to be promising in that area.

I don't think you're the "special one" like in singleplayer games, but you're certainly going to be one of the heroes of a side in the character storylines, one of the people that can make a difference in the struggle between the Empire and Republic. Well, that's regarding the dev provided storylines in the quests.

How you experience it will be subjective, although I think BW will be better in that immersion in your quests than other MMORPG's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Like the OP, I am a fan of Bioware's single player RPGs (Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, etc). I am thinking that the class story from Bioware will revolve around you being one of the very best at what you do. If anyone can pull off an immersive experience in a MMO, I would bet on Bioware.