Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burning out again

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I'm a casual gamer....I only have a couple hours , if that, each night and a bit more on the weekend.

I play EQ2 because it fits my style.

However, what does not fit my style is the seperation between solo and group content.  As in other games in this cookie cutter model, you often find yourself doing certain things solo and are excluded from a lot of the content because of the lack of groups at the lower level.

I find myself in a situation.  I can either take the time to build a good character with lots of AA and solo my way to where everyone is or blow through the lower levels with no AA to try and find a critical mass for groups and such when i get there.

I've tried a couple different guilds but no one seem to have a regular group of lowbies.  As a matter of fact most of the guilds I encountered have no time for actual newbs these days (well I'm not really a newb because my lvl 30 illusionist was born on nov9 2004 :)   ).

Anyway, the problem with this game is population distribution. Yes there are plenty of players but they seem to have done it all.  Anyway....I'm burning out from the solo content and wish getting groups was faster.  

Its a great game but , on a bell curve, I think its sloping downward.

I need my mmo fix but I'm not sure if the game is a fit for me anymore.

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Rekindle

I'm a casual gamer....I only have a couple hours , if that, each night and a bit more on the weekend.

I play EQ2 because it fits my style.

However, what does not fit my style is the seperation between solo and group content.  As in other games in this cookie cutter model, you often find yourself doing certain things solo and are excluded from a lot of the content because of the lack of groups at the lower level.

I find myself in a situation.  I can either take the time to build a good character with lots of AA and solo my way to where everyone is or blow through the lower levels with no AA to try and find a critical mass for groups and such when i get there.

I've tried a couple different guilds but no one seem to have a regular group of lowbies.  As a matter of fact most of the guilds I encountered have no time for actual newbs these days (well I'm not really a newb because my lvl 30 illusionist was born on nov9 2004 :)   ).

Anyway, the problem with this game is population distribution. Yes there are plenty of players but they seem to have done it all.  Anyway....I'm burning out from the solo content and wish getting groups was faster.  

Its a great game but , on a bell curve, I think its sloping downward.

I need my mmo fix but I'm not sure if the game is a fit for me anymore.

Play on the extended server because there is a population to play with?

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Yeah I knew the extended thing would come up.

I guess that is one option but I'm kinda old fashioned.  I just want to pay a monthly fee and have access to the game and I want to play with others who have the same opportunities and challenges I have.  I'm not so sure about extended but I guess I could consider it.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

I totally agree, EQ2 despite the campaigns from the SOE haters is in many ways a great game and me and my wife totally enjoyed leveling up but the lack of people to group with (and it does not get better at higher levels) after the release of TSO and the incredibly boring soloquests that is the only thing you can do to level up after lvl 70 totally burned us out. Your choice is to solo very boring quests up to 90 then grind marks to get gear and after that (maybe) if you are in the right guild you get to do fun things. The dumbing down of the game and the gear differences between casual and people that play a lot have resulted in a game where you as a casual gamer have no one to group with, you have no really challenging content to do and you really have nothing interesting to look forward to either.

EQ2 was the game with the shared dungeons where you could get a group and go to a shared dungeon and have fun, do some quests and get a drop or two of items that actually where useful to you, that was what EQ2 was all about, now with the almost total separation of leveling and gear after the TSO expansion the game really does not offer anything substantial for the casual gamer anymore, and that is a shame because the game had a lot to offer. If you are interested you should also read the thread Bring Back the Adventure on the official EQ2 forums.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch