Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploring Alganon

rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

While playing tonight, I inadvertently found a way into a huge area off the playable map.  Terrain, but no textures - huge, wandered for quite a while... Interesting to see, but obviously not meant for players - there's nothing there but a giant empty, space...

~ Ripper

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by rhinok

- there's nothing there but a giant empty, space...

~ Ripper

Maybe the files from Derek Smart's latest CAT scan were put on the server by mistake.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Just uploaded a third image where you can clearly see the seams between the textured world (still off the playable map) transitioning to the non-textured world.

@Robokapp you don't often see this in live MMOs, anyway.  

~Ripper

Originally posted by Robokapp

in world of warcraft players managed to enter a very large, semi-textured area that was covered in green grass and weird looking geometries/statues/objects. They did it by blinking through a loading screen and ending up behind it without "triggering" it. They assumed this area is a future Emerald Dream, but two or so years later it became obvious the area is now Hellfire Peninsula in Outlands. (a different planet).

so despite this area being on a different planet, it still exists in the same...'gameworld'. (aka the box). Whatever area you found, and whatever it'll be used for, it's basically undeveloped future territory. At least planned future territory. Could be something instanced, or something added directly into the world.

Yup Yup - interesting, nonetheless.  Weird thing is I pretty much just walked straight  into it from the playable area.  No blinking or anything tricky required...

~Ripper

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

This can happen if you find a "gap" in the area where you are suppose to hit some kind of wall or zone transition. In this case you did not and thus entered a place unintended for the player to reach and thats why it looks bad.  I managed the very same type of thing in Anarchy Online ages ago. Everything looked like blocks (even the water) and the trees were all floating and everything had lines pointing to a center of the object (again water included).  

This type of thing happens all the time in betas, rarer in release but can certainly happen, it could be, i'm just speculating, it's possible you lost connection for a split second where the zone was suppose to be and you moved right past the barrier, but you never lost it long enough for the game to detect it and drop you. This is a bug and should be reported if it hasn't.  

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by whilan

This can happen if you find a "gap" in the area where you are suppose to hit some kind of wall or zone transition. In this case you did not and thus entered a place unintended for the player to reach and thats why it looks bad.  I managed the very same type of thing in Anarchy Online ages ago. Everything looked like blocks (even the water) and the trees were all floating and everything had lines pointing to a center of the object (again water included).  

This type of thing happens all the time in beta games, rarer in release but can certainly happen, it could be, i'm just speculating, it's possible you lost connection for a split second where the zone was suppose to be and you moved right past the barrier, but you never lost it long enough for the game to detect it and drop you. This is a bug and should be reported if it hasn't.  

It's nothing that complicated. It's easily duplicated (I did it at least 3 times) and I can just enter the area at will. As for it being a bug, I agree and I'll report it, although with as many issues as Alganon has, I'd consider this pretty low on the totem pole, especially because it's not populated and even if a player gets stuck, the player has a recall spell.

~Ripper

FYI, bugged it and got this response:

We're aware of this issue and are working on a fix. Thanks for the ticket.

So, it's been reported, they're aware of it and I got some interesting screenshots out of it :)

~Ripper