Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real intentions...

2»

Comments

• camelguycamelguy Member UncommonPosts: 9

I have played the game and dealt with it's issues, it's glories and it's shortcomings since the initial open beta key release.  In the week nearly that this has happened I have seen various issues change within the game itself, ranging from new patches implemented almost daily to NPC's, Population Shift's in the Social Dynamic (People Talking about progressing not loitering**) and Server Congestion. Fix the UI - no one can be that blind.

I like the game.  I say that first because I do.  I see enormous potential within the engine of how the beta is initially set up. Amidst the talk of whether or not the game is fully complete or not; the potential is universally agreed upon. This is why there's hype in the first place about this game. It's been under wraps to their credit.  It's impossible for alot of people in my opinion to judge this game at all playing it for a small test of a day or hours, or small amounts during this beta test. There is alot to do in this game... crafting alone is insane. There are numerous quest hubs IN the game where quests are empty at the moment. Entire pieces of conversations with the same 2 lines spilt over 3 scenes. There are obviously gaps in the story as to not give it away?

I think the developers left out a vast majority of the storyline and places within the game initially, almost staggering it into a demo state.. which truly is a hit or miss with beta testing.  Some Regional Guildleves will grant you a certain amount of points and awards, then you wait the 2 day cooldown until they are avail and do it again.. The problem is items available on vendors are remarkably all 5k; extremely unobtainable by the point standards they are giving you. So players become discouraged at an either obvious roadblock put into the game which makes logical sense in a beta, or players label it a failure etc etc.. This is a universal example of alot of the rights and the wrongs with the game that players are discussing. And of this message was brought to you by..

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by AnimatorKid

Originally posted by Belarion

Originally posted by Jenadara

I don't think that was their intention for the UI.  It is a playstation game first, so it will have some features that favor the gamepad.  I'm talking about the game itself really.

Heh, to bad this game doesn't work on the Ps3 thus the 6 month push back on that release lol.

Why are you posting such trolling comments?  You aren;t going to play and you will be terribly missed but we have all already mourned your loss. So you can go shave your back hair now.

Its not trolling its a sad fact. On another note I was a pre order Ps3 peep anyways. So now I am on the Pc fence because I really don't want to wait 6+ months and get involved in the Ps3 Beta... Lastly I probably have more logged time on FFXI then you have.

Besides I think S.E is confused on what an actual "Casual" gamer really is.

It's just the way they develop the game.  Even 11 was released later on PS2 than the PC release in North America.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

I don't think that was their intention for the UI.  It is a playstation game first, so it will have some features that favor the gamepad.  I'm talking about the game itself really.

Heh, to bad this game doesn't work on the Ps3 thus the 6 month push back on that release lol.

it works but its taking more time to compress the gfx down and stuff

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by camelguy

I have played the game and dealt with it's issues, it's glories and it's shortcomings since the initial open beta key release.  In the week nearly that this has happened I have seen various issues change within the game itself, ranging from new patches implemented almost daily to NPC's, Population Shift's in the Social Dynamic (People Talking about progressing not loitering**) and Server Congestion. Fix the UI - no one can be that blind.

I like the game.  I say that first because I do.  I see enormous potential within the engine of how the beta is initially set up. Amidst the talk of whether or not the game is fully complete or not; the potential is universally agreed upon. This is why there's hype in the first place about this game. It's been under wraps to their credit.  It's impossible for alot of people in my opinion to judge this game at all playing it for a small test of a day or hours, or small amounts during this beta test. There is alot to do in this game... crafting alone is insane. There are numerous quest hubs IN the game where quests are empty at the moment. Entire pieces of conversations with the same 2 lines spilt over 3 scenes. There are obviously gaps in the story as to not give it away?

I think the developers left out a vast majority of the storyline and places within the game initially, almost staggering it into a demo state.. which truly is a hit or miss with beta testing.  Some Regional Guildleves will grant you a certain amount of points and awards, then you wait the 2 day cooldown until they are avail and do it again.. The problem is items available on vendors are remarkably all 5k; extremely unobtainable by the point standards they are giving you. So players become discouraged at an either obvious roadblock put into the game which makes logical sense in a beta, or players label it a failure etc etc.. This is a universal example of alot of the rights and the wrongs with the game that players are discussing. And of this message was brought to you by..

The fact is that Beta is never intended to be a free demo; it is meant to help the developer work out the kinks. Unfortunately people seem to incompetent to realize that.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Haha, they say it favors the casual player but there is no way it would appeal to any other player but the hardcore player. Along with leveling your main class you have to level:

1-3 other battlecraft classes

1 gathering class

1 crafting class

and that is at minimum. :D Not to mention the game takes an incessant amount of thinking to make sure you are optimizing your characters abilities and stats. Combat seems to be more complex than other MMOs, seeing as it takes a tad more strategy than just following a rotation (of course I was a lower level). I don't think the casual player will be attracted to this game. 

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

There is a difference between the casual player and the idiot player. STO was aimed at suckers, not casual players.

A game aimed at people who don't have a lot of time to spend isn't the same as STO.

Originally posted by dhayes68

There is a difference between the casual player and the idiot player. STO was aimed at suckers, not casual players.

A game aimed at people who don't have a lot of time to spend is the same as STO.

I play STO and I agree. It has to be one of the most dumbed down games i have ever played. And, unfortunately many in the STO community are some of the dumbest players I have ever met( i mean really how hard is it to hit the M key select a planet and go there). That being said i do not mind the fact that FFXIV is complex. I welcome it with arms wide open!

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by Presbytier

Originally posted by camelguy

The fact is that Beta is never intended to be a free demo; it is meant to help the developer work out the kinks. Unfortunately people seem to incompetent to realize that.

Beta WAS never intended to be a free demo. That is what it has become.  Looking at it realistically, the only thing a week or 2 of open beta before launch serves testing-wise is load testing of the servers, beyond that the publishers DO see it as a marketing opportunity to spread word-of-mouth about the game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The hardcore play might not be able to max his character as fas as he would like to but he will definitely be able to have more skills available to him making their characters more flexible and better overall.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by dhayes68

A game aimed at people who don't have a lot of time to spend isn't the same as STO.

What this guy said.  It sounds to me like a lot of people seem to think casual player == stupid player.  I'm a fairly casual player and I assure you I am far from stupid.  I personally like FFXIV's UI as well since it allows me to plug in my controller, kick back, and have fun rather then be limited to sitting up with one hand on my keyboard and the other on my mouse.  I love how I never even have to so much as look at my keyboard except to chat.  Though I think it'd be interesting if they added voice chat in a way that resembled how it would be irl.  For example if I whispered only the person standing directly in front of me with their ear by my mouth would hear me while if I yelled everyone in the immediate area or so would hear me (and everyone in the immediate house would think I was crazy).

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by MisterSr Combat seems to be more complex than other MMOs, seeing as it takes a tad more strategy than just following a rotation (of course I was a lower level). I don't think the casual player will be attracted to this game. 

While i agree with the casual comment, the combat itself i find to be as basic as can be and a step down from FFXI in terms of complexity. As much as SE made a big stink about positioning, you still remain stationary during combat and there's really no movement to ficilitate any complexity. The combat system itself is a roadblock to improving on anything from FFXI.

• KxianiKxiani Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by MisterSr Combat seems to be more complex than other MMOs, seeing as it takes a tad more strategy than just following a rotation (of course I was a lower level). I don't think the casual player will be attracted to this game. 

While i agree with the casual comment, the combat itself i find to be as basic as can be and a step down from FFXI in terms of complexity. As much as SE made a big stink about positioning, you still remain stationary during combat and there's really no movement to ficilitate any complexity. The combat system itself is a roadblock to improving on anything from FFXI.

So because characters in FFXIV are stationary during battle ... they are lacking in complexity?

I guess Chess games must be severely lacking in complexity because there is certainly a lack of movement during chess games.  Yes, I understand chess games and video games are different.  The point beng made is that lacking in action does not, in and of itself, automatically equate to lacking in complexity. 

Remember, FFXIV is an MMO, not an FPS.  Anyone looking for twitch control and strategic positioning during battles would be better served playing an FPS game. 

Long story short, battles in an MMO can certainly lack in complexity, but the fact that the battles are stationary does not alone make them so.   

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

This is getting pretty old, but what the hell I'll give it another shot.

This game only appears casually oriented to the people who know nothing about the game, and how its systems work.  There is a sticky thread, a video, and a thousand other sources if you would actually like to know something about this game before trolling the forum here.

Some people confuse a developer known for an extremely hardcore and casually unfriendly game like FFXI making promises that this time around it will be possible for the casual player to enjoy their game as taking it to mean that it will be more casual than any other MMO on the market.  Get a clue, it won't.  It will be just as hardcore as any other MMO including FFXI, only difference is that casual players actually have things to do this time around than standing around town emoting.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Kxiani

Long story short, battles in an MMO can certainly lack in complexity, but the fact that the battles are stationary does not alone make them so.   

As i stated, the combat mechanics makes it so for this particular MMO. I wish it were different but let's be honest, it is what it is. Without freedom of movement, we're relegated to tank and spank encounters with basically the same rotations as any other game. After 6 years of basically the same mechanics, i expected an upgrade in a new game and have not received one.

You're correct it alone does not make it so but i definitely doesn't help either.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Aside from the whole fatigue system, the director basically said the focus of the game will be for the casual player. 

Having played the beta, I'm not too worried, and can only surmise this means one of the following:

• The director is referring to how, compared to Final Fantasy XI, certain concessions have been made to allow casual accessibility to this otherwise hardcore game.

• The director considers casuals as something other than twits who need to be force-fed virtual success to be happy.

Because this game is brutal compared to a casual-friendly MMORPG.  It doesn't point you where you need to go (with the exception of an activated guildleves), the GUI requires some level of wilingness to learn, the mobs vary wildly in potency bringing about rude suprises to anyone who blunders around blindly, and the crafting is as perilous as taming a lightning bolt with a fork: you will get burned, painfully.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

SE has bad community relations cause they dont give a flying **** about unsolicited ideas; they have a vision.

Hitler had a vision too.

• KxianiKxiani Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Kxiani

As i stated, the combat mechanics makes it so for this particular MMO. I wish it were different but let's be honest, it is what it is. Without freedom of movement, we're relegated to tank and spank encounters with basically the same rotations as any other game. After 6 years of basically the same mechanics, i expected an upgrade in a new game and have not received one.

You're correct it alone does not make it so but i definitely doesn't help either.

Here's the thing though ...

You can not judge combat mechanics of a game if you've only had access to the first 15-20 beta levels of a game.  I think it goes without saying that, by design, the beginning 15-20 levels of any game are going to be basic combat.  For the simple fact that you are still equipped with very basic skills and the monsters you are fighting are also of the most combat basic variety.  As players progress through the game though, they will gain more skills and the monsters that they will begin to fight will require more strategy to defeat.

Ok, I am getting sleepy so for the sake of brevity, I'll leave you with the one of the announced changes that will be implemented once the game launches, and let your imagination do the rest  ...

Part Damage

On some monsters, players will be able to damage individual parts such as arms and legs. For example, vines can be cut from morbols, and horns and tails can be struck from monsters that have them Parts can be damaged by using certain weaponskills while standing in certain positions. The effect will not only be visual, but will accomplish the following: * Weaken the monster

* Prevent the monster from using its special attacks

* Allow the player to obtain the damaged part

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

i love games where u dont need to have ur hand held to figure shit out most of it is common sense with fiddling for 1 min you can find the answer urself :P

Originally posted by Unlight

SE has bad community relations cause they dont give a flying **** about unsolicited ideas; they have a vision.

Hitler had a vision too.

And alas it has happened; somebody has finally made an irrelevant reference  to Nazis. This thread is officially doomed.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

yup, a hitler post, its circling the drain