Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a shame...

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by sebbonx

It is only a matter of time before it happens, and I say good. I am sick of the lifeless players getting it all, the working strike back!

Almost every single gamer I have ever known has not only worked and had a family but still had time to game and have top gear if that was a goal they had. I find the misconception of hardcore gamers all being lifeless losers to be quite funny and usually coming from people who simply are not good at the game in question and want to use their bank account to try and make up for their inept play.

Of course the other side of that is if a player lives in moms basement he probably has more disposable income then the average working person with a family and he would not only find more time to play and have more then you, he would also have the money to outspend you and stay ahead that way too. Either way whining about who has more is just sad. Like anything in life the more effort and time you put in the more you are likely to get. Some pople play games as a hobby instead of other things and they can maintain a perfectly normal life and still have a couple of hours a day to play.

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

theres a big misunderstanding thats followed all 3 pages of this post.  most mmorpg gams to have come out in the last 5 years are 2 month your at end game woohoo.

DDO was not built with end game squaters in mind, the games honestly more about your alts than your first toon. Its not a 2 or 3 month  adventure to gain  a end game squater , its a 2 or 3 year trip to build a legacy of player . You can see the progession in your toon line up, your 10th lvl 20 will by far out power your 1st , and be  better even thn your 9th .

the fact that your daily game experiance changes none at all. " beings its full insance" lets the player not only know but master these instances. This IS a game for elitists . for better or worst thats what it is.

ive ran so many toons to lvl 20 in this game i can walk a team threw any instance " even a 0 skill nub tastic pug group" and tell them steps ahead of time what  to do whee whats comming up run here , jump them, BB here FW there.  This is the true end game for DDO a mastery of every instance , the ability to finish these instances even with a blind fold on.

I know the old timers at times can be short with these new players , If you are let in to a party of  old groovy cats . and these groovy cats run you threw a mission telling you do this here  not do this  dont do that do this , if instea of getting upset  you listen and do , you just got years worth of training in a instance in 20 mins to 1 hour . Hell i get short with the new wave  sometimes , walking players threw instances is a gift from the groovy cat to the new player . its a gift of information that took  years to harvest . so it can be upseting when someone spits on this great gift your giving them . . . . If you have  questions  hold them for a rest shrine , a groovy cats gunna tell you what you need do along the way , And if u tell him you got questions 9 times out 10 he will sit in party with you and answer away after the run.

to make a long story short ,  dont take the do this  and this and dont do thats , that you get in quests as a bad thing , most those groovy cats are not giving you these directions in a bad manner , there try to give you a gift .

Originally posted by farfanugon

theres a big misunderstanding thats followed all 3 pages of this post.  most mmorpg gams to have come out in the last 5 years are 2 month your at end game woohoo.

DDO was not built with end game squaters in mind, the games honestly more about your alts than your first toon. Its not a 2 or 3 month  adventure to gain  a end game squater , its a 2 or 3 year trip to build a legacy of player . You can see the progession in your toon line up, your 10th lvl 20 will by far out power your 1st , and be  better even thn your 9th .

the fact that your daily game experiance changes none at all. " beings its full insance" lets the player not only know but master these instances. This IS a game for elitists . for better or worst thats what it is.

ive ran so many toons to lvl 20 in this game i can walk a team threw any instance " even a 0 skill nub tastic pug group" and tell them steps ahead of time what  to do whee whats comming up run here , jump them, BB here FW there.  This is the true end game for DDO a mastery of every instance , the ability to finish these instances even with a blind fold on.

I know the old timers at times can be short with these new players , If you are let in to a party of  old groovy cats . and these groovy cats run you threw a mission telling you do this here  not do this  dont do that do this , if instea of getting upset  you listen and do , you just got years worth of training in a instance in 20 mins to 1 hour . Hell i get short with the new wave  sometimes , walking players threw instances is a gift from the groovy cat to the new player . its a gift of information that took  years to harvest . so it can be upseting when someone spits on this great gift your giving them . . . . If you have  questions  hold them for a rest shrine , a groovy cats gunna tell you what you need do along the way , And if u tell him you got questions 9 times out 10 he will sit in party with you and answer away after the run.

to make a long story short ,  dont take the do this  and this and dont do thats , that you get in quests as a bad thing , most those groovy cats are not giving you these directions in a bad manner , there try to give you a gift .

As a long time player I find doing a quest the first time the best fun in DDO, your gift is not a gift at all. You are ruining the little bit of challenge DDO has, because the first time is really the only time you might struggle and have to think after that DDO requires very little thinking.

Do the new players a favor and stop questing with them. You are killing their fun with your amazing skills.

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

Really ?, I cant go out into devils with out at least 1 party asking for help. they just fail one of the quest 3 or 4 times in a row . or we in  and ran around for a hour or more not finding the way threw the mission.

To Top that all the devils quests are pre regs for the raid. Its no fun when you finally get to the 18-20 area , and you really really want to see the cap lvl raid . But you cant  becouse the pre reg quests are not the ez walk in the park events  the quests on every other map are.

Sure its fun to win on your own merit . but for high lvls its not pratical anymore.  the do it do it  gamers are gone or have already done it. which is why  every game coming out  gets ezer and ezer every year, The play to win gamers are all but  extinct . If we all stopped helpping the new players  shroud and devils would be empty , all day every day. There hard and very time consumming .

The fun of a first run is only there if you WIN . if you  fail or get lost , your party with out a oldster to show the way will fall into discontent and quickly fall apart . thats just the way it works  in F2P mmo gamming now, and for better or worse DDO is now a F2P mmo . hard and unknown are hated , ez and predictable are the in thing. as it is even with a handful of Oldies walking threw new waves of players in devils the place is still a ghost town 90% of the time.

I would have to disagree with your full comment . It isnt taking the fun out of the hard areas  buy walking players threw quests , its showing them a area of the map that they would not see with out the help. they would just skip he map and head off to the new " higher lvl maps" that are so much ezer to win. " Blaw  even weapon shipment is harder than mind sunder "

Originally posted by farfanugon

Really ?, I cant go out into devils with out at least 1 party asking for help. they just fail one of the quest 3 or 4 times in a row . or we in  and ran around for a hour or more not finding the way threw the mission.

To Top that all the devils quests are pre regs for the raid. Its no fun when you finally get to the 18-20 area , and you really really want to see the cap lvl raid . But you cant  becouse the pre reg quests are not the ez walk in the park events  the quests on every other map are.

Sure its fun to win on your own merit . but for high lvls its not pratical anymore.  the do it do it  gamers are gone or have already done it. which is why  every game coming out  gets ezer and ezer every year, The play to win gamers are all but  extinct . If we all stopped helpping the new players  shroud and devils would be empty , all day every day. There hard and very time consumming .

The fun of a first run is only there if you WIN . if you  fail or get lost , your party with out a oldster to show the way will fall into discontent and quickly fall apart . thats just the way it works  in F2P mmo gamming now, and for better or worse DDO is now a F2P mmo . hard and unknown are hated , ez and predictable are the in thing. as it is even with a handful of Oldies walking threw new waves of players in devils the place is still a ghost town 90% of the time.

I would have to disagree with your full comment . It isnt taking the fun out of the hard areas  buy walking players threw quests , its showing them a area of the map that they would not see with out the help. they would just skip he map and head off to the new " higher lvl maps" that are so much ezer to win. " Blaw  even weapon shipment is harder than mind sunder "

So if they would not see it without the help how did you and I get there? The I want it now players will love the help, the ones who want to think for themselves will not like being led through everything. For more on this go read the Turbine boards where more actual players post and see how many have made posts complaining about just what you do.

As a long time player who has obviously been new in many games I would not group with your type unless there was no other way to finish the quest. It is more fun to fail by trying with friends then to be dragged to the end by a know it all.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Yamota

I am currently waiting for next good MMO to be released so I decided to try this game and I was pleasently surprised. I dont think this game is really an MMO, as I didnt interact with other people at all however single player RPG elements were good.

I particularily like the way health and regen are not regenned and this leads to you having to be tactical about what abilities to use in what battles.

However I saw that in the store you can buy all kinds of things to make you more powerful. From healing potions to NPC pets. Really sad to see such a good game being ruined by this P2P system that gives a big advantage to people who shell out more money.

But ah well, I hope I can play the single player RPG element without spending much.

You chosing not to interact with other players doesn't make a game not an mmo that was your choice and in this day and age you should have that choice.  I played and ironically the game used to be so difficult that many people are used to and continue to group, as such I rarely didn't group when I played.

Also as usual people get this whole "p2p" theory so wrong it isnt funny.  If you paid the standard monthly fee that all mmo's charge you would have access to all the games content and also recieve a certain amount of turbine points for extra's in the store.  Ultimately anyone fleecing themselves and buying things seperately is foolish to say the least.  And most of the things found in game are more than likely available through questing as well.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

I played this game when it went FTP and gave it a shot. It is FAR more MMO than EQ1 when I played. Thats right I said it. All EQ1 was about was end game raids or overpowered broken classes quadding outdoor zones. This game owns EQ1 and I have grouped more here than any EQ1 expansion minus LDoN , and I spent as much time LFG in LDoN as playing.

Originally posted by jaxsundane

I am currently waiting for next good MMO to be released so I decided to try this game and I was pleasently surprised. I dont think this game is really an MMO, as I didnt interact with other people at all however single player RPG elements were good.

I particularily like the way health and regen are not regenned and this leads to you having to be tactical about what abilities to use in what battles.

However I saw that in the store you can buy all kinds of things to make you more powerful. From healing potions to NPC pets. Really sad to see such a good game being ruined by this P2P system that gives a big advantage to people who shell out more money.

But ah well, I hope I can play the single player RPG element without spending much.

You chosing not to interact with other players doesn't make a game not an mmo that was your choice and in this day and age you should have that choice.  I played and ironically the game used to be so difficult that many people are used to and continue to group, as such I rarely didn't group when I played.

Also as usual people get this whole "p2p" theory so wrong it isnt funny.  If you paid the standard monthly fee that all mmo's charge you would have access to all the games content and also recieve a certain amount of turbine points for extra's in the store.  Ultimately anyone fleecing themselves and buying things seperately is foolish to say the least.  And most of the things found in game are more than likely available through questing as well.

Actually most everything in the store can not be found in game. You can earn the points in game to buy them but the store items are not also available as drops in the game.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The concept of D&D is essentially that you meet up with other adventurers (often in towns) and then go off and adventure. DDO has this, but they also allow the majority of low level content to be easily soloed. So if you choose, at lower levels you can avoid all other players and advance just fine.

It's not that it isn't an MMO, it is that at lower levels you do not NEED other players.

• GunboatGunboat Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

The concept of D&D is essentially that you meet up with other adventurers (often in towns) and then go off and adventure. DDO has this, but they also allow the majority of low level content to be easily soloed. So if you choose, at lower levels you can avoid all other players and advance just fine.

It's not that it isn't an MMO, it is that at lower levels you do not NEED other players.

QFT.

Soloing is a perfectly fine option at low levels but most mid - high level quests require at least one other person, preferably several if you are doing hard or elite.

Of course its possible to solo even epic quests with the right player/build/gear but thats well out of the reach of the vast majority of newer players and even with veteran players, with most builds its just an awful lot quicker and easier to do quests with a group.

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

However I saw that in the store you can buy all kinds of things to make you more powerful. From healing potions to NPC pets.

The only thing to make you more stronger from DDO store is the +2 Tome. The rest in the store are mostly useless,. Potions will never make you stronger. They just barely helps the weaker to get through Normal difficulty.

Try Elite difficulty. Thats the difficulty level everyone should not miss.

Originally posted by Larry2298

However I saw that in the store you can buy all kinds of things to make you more powerful. From healing potions to NPC pets.

The only thing to make you more stronger from DDO store is the +2 Tome. The rest in the store are mostly useless,. Potions will never make you stronger. They just barely helps the weaker to get through Normal difficulty.

There are potions that absolutely can make you stronger and unlike many in game items they stack with everything. Of course since DDO has no PvP worth doing and no competetive PVE being stronger is more of an exercise in showing what is possible with all buffs in the world as opposed to making a huge difference in the game.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

There are potions that absolutely can make you stronger and unlike many in game items they stack with everything. Of course since DDO has no PvP worth doing and no competetive PVE being stronger is more of an exercise in showing what is possible with all buffs in the world as opposed to making a huge difference in the game.

All the potions sell in DDO store you can buy from vendor with gam coins except a few other potions such as mana restoration potions. Only rich people would buy potions from DDO store because they are very expensive in real money. 

The way to make you stronger in this game are +2 Supreme Tome, True Reincarnation and doing raids to farming ingridients to upgrade unique item.

There is no potions to make you strong. Even the guild airship buff do better than any potions sell in DDO store. 

All the potions sell in DDO store you can buy from vendor with gam coins except a few other potions such as mana restoration potions. Only rich people would buy potions from DDO store because they are very expensive in real money. 

The way to make you stronger in this game are +2 Supreme Tome, True Reincarnation and doing raids to farming ingridients to upgrade unique item.

There is no potions to make you strong. Even the guild airship buff do better than any potions sell in DDO store. 

You can buy potions in the store that are not available in game that stack with in game potions. The guild airship buffs will stack with the store potions as well. Not that you need anything to make you stronger, DDO is a very easy game these days anyway.

And the +2 supreme tome is a huge waste of money.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by nickster29

I have also been playing this a bit lately, just about to hit level 9 on my Fighter.

The biggest advice I can give you is this:

1)  Buy a $6.50 pack of Turbine Points to remove some of the restrictions on the account.  You will get 2 more character slots, chat restrictions removed, and auction restrictions removed.

2)  Roll a toon on each server up to 50 favor.  This will net you 100 Turbine Points per server, so 700 points.

3)  With those ~1100-1200 points you should have, make sure to buy the Delara's Graveyard adventure pack.  This is a VERY VERY VERY good quest pack to have.  High exp and incredible rewards.

Edit:  Oh, another reason for you to get the Delara's Graveyard adventure pack is that the Delara's quest line is narrated by Gary Gygax!  (This probably only matters if you actually play PnP D&D, and know who Gary Gygax is)

Thanks for the tips as I think this game certainly is worth $6.50 but I still dont think this is an MMO. I have no reason what so ever to interact with anyone and the quests are instanced so no random  encounters either.

However as a single player game or Diablo like multiplayer game it is quite good, so far.

This is exactly the main reason I quit WoW, I didn't have to group for anything to advance or get epic loot, the game turned into a huge single player game.

Sure it's got raids, DDO has raids, but heck you don't NEED to do them to advance, you can got all the way to max lvl without speaking to another soul in the game.

More games should force you to grp, down with solo play I say, soon as you login your placed within a grp that you HAVE to stay with, thats the way forward =).

Originally posted by MMOrUS

I have also been playing this a bit lately, just about to hit level 9 on my Fighter.

1)  Buy a $6.50 pack of Turbine Points to remove some of the restrictions on the account.  You will get 2 more character slots, chat restrictions removed, and auction restrictions removed.

2)  Roll a toon on each server up to 50 favor.  This will net you 100 Turbine Points per server, so 700 points.

3)  With those ~1100-1200 points you should have, make sure to buy the Delara's Graveyard adventure pack.  This is a VERY VERY VERY good quest pack to have.  High exp and incredible rewards.

Edit:  Oh, another reason for you to get the Delara's Graveyard adventure pack is that the Delara's quest line is narrated by Gary Gygax!  (This probably only matters if you actually play PnP D&D, and know who Gary Gygax is)

Thanks for the tips as I think this game certainly is worth $6.50 but I still dont think this is an MMO. I have no reason what so ever to interact with anyone and the quests are instanced so no random  encounters either.

However as a single player game or Diablo like multiplayer game it is quite good, so far.

This is exactly the main reason I quit WoW, I didn't have to group for anything to advance or get epic loot, the game turned into a huge single player game.

Sure it's got raids, DDO has raids, but heck you don't NEED to do them to advance, you can got all the way to max lvl without speaking to another soul in the game.

More games should force you to grp, down with solo play I say, soon as you login your placed within a grp that you HAVE to stay with, thats the way forward =).

That would be one empty game, but interesting while it lasted. Unfortunately game makers have to come realize that solo options make a game more money. For some the inability, due to many other commitments in life, make setting aside a couple of uninterrupted hours for a game impossible. For others they are simply antisocial misfits incapable of operating within a team and adding anything to it. All of these people though are willing to spend money on  a  good game so in order to maximize profit games are being designed and built around a lot of solo friendly content. DDO has continually made their game easier to cater to the lowest common denominator. DDO used to require grouping to do almost any content after the first few "get to know the game" type quests. Now DDO requires an extra person basicly in quests where no one person can operate doors or gates alone.

Bah, I just found this thread is so clueless about potions. Potions already being used in DDO long time ago while it was P2P, however, until today, the potions you can buy from DDO store you can also buy from vendors.

I don't care anyone like to beating down DDO but first of all please picking the right issue and get a clue. If you'd say weapons/armors makes the imbalance, I think most people would probably agreed with that in certain depth because it's a common issue in any game. Picking potions was really clueless.

Bah, I just found this thread is so clueless about potions. Potions already being used in DDO long time ago while it was P2P, however, until today, the potions you can buy from DDO store you can also buy from vendors.

I don't care anyone like to beating down DDO but first of all please picking the right issue and get a clue. If you'd say weapons/armors makes the imbalance, I think most people would probably agreed with that in certain depth because it's a common issue in any game. Picking potions was really clueless.

Except the DDO store potions can stack with in game potions that do not stack with each other. You seem very unaware of what you think you understand. I am not talking about healing potions. I am talking about stat potions and also Spell point potions. I would also appreciate if you lose the insults.

I did not say these potions ruin the game I simply said they can make you more powerful. Armor in DDO imbalances nothing. Weapons would be the biggest issue but DDO itself is not hard and you can get by anything short of some Elite content with no special weapons other then what you would get through normal game play.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Edit:  Oh, another reason for you to get the Delara's Graveyard adventure pack is that the Delara's quest line is narrated by Gary Gygax!  (This probably only matters if you actually play PnP D&D, and know who Gary Gygax
    Well what do you mean by roll a toon to 50 favor, I have a toon on each server but didnt gett anymore turbine points,

Also what do you mean by chat and auction house subscriptions I dont see any option in the store to remove restrictions

Well what do you mean by roll a toon to 50 favor, I have a toon on each server but didnt gett anymore turbine points,

Also what do you mean by chat and auction house subscriptions I dont see any option in the store to remove restrictions

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

If you enjoy the game, invest in it.

Spend a bit in the shop. unlock those races, quest hubs and stuff.

Playing these games completely free doesnt give the player the full experience.

Would you complain about not having the full experience and being at a disadvantage to other if you were doing a trial in a p2p game? F2p is the same way.

Trial = 100% free play, Sub = CS user.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

This would be a problem indeed if the game was PvP oriented. Since DDO only is about PvE, spending money to make the virtual life easier, it's up to you to spend or not... Personally, I would not spend that much in DDO, other than paying for extra content (both quests and races / classes). I could not care less about making the game easier by purchasing weapons, armour and other gear making me more "uber". Without it I'd have a more satisfactory feeling of accomplishment ;-)

...small note, I do not play DDO since I don't like D&D 3.x as well as the Ebberon setting

Except the DDO store potions can stack with in game potions that do not stack with each other. You seem very unaware of what you think you understand. I am not talking about healing potions. I am talking about stat potions and also Spell point potions. I would also appreciate if you lose the insults.

I did not say these potions ruin the game I simply said they can make you more powerful. Armor in DDO imbalances nothing. Weapons would be the biggest issue but DDO itself is not hard and you can get by anything short of some Elite content with no special weapons other then what you would get through normal game play.

As said, the most powerful item in DDO store is not potions, it's resurrection cake. You can use it to resurrect yourself while group wiped. The eheapest cost 150 points to buy. I found DDO store is reasonable item shop compare with any other F2P on the market.

It would be nice if you could name a few potions that you think  making player stronger so we got a clue about what you really meant.

As said, the most powerful item in DDO store is not potions, it's resurrection cake. You can use it to resurrect yourself while group wiped. The eheapest cost 150 points to buy. I found DDO store is reasonable item shop compare with any other F2P on the market.

It would be nice if you could name a few potions that you think  making player stronger so we got a clue about what you really meant.

I meant exactly what I said. There are potions that stack with all enhancements and in game buffs that add to your STATS. There is a +2 stat enhancement potion that says it stacks with all other stat enhancements, meaning the highest score in any stat can only be reached by a Turbine store potion, those potions ARE NOT available in game any other way.

I do not think they make a player stronger, I know they do since they get you to a stat score that would be unavailable in any other way. Now are these potions needed? No, but again to say that the +2 all stat tome and true reincarnation are the only things making you stronger from the store is absolutely incorrect. The store sells potions that cover any one stat and they sell one that covers all stats so you could buy the +2 all stat tome(waste of money) and buy +2 all stat potions and they would stack.

The rez cake is not that great, it is not usable in raids and lets face it elite raids might be the only place I can recall a party wipe in over a year. I have not seen a wipe in any quest in so long that I have all the free rez cakes I ever got from Turbine still in the bank. I can not possibly agree that it is the most powerful item in the DDO store. I would rank it one step ahead of hair dye in my opinion. I find the easily purchased spell point potions to be much more game balance breaking then any other item you can buy.

I suggest next time instead of calling people clueless you do some research into the subject you wish to discuss.

Edit: Your debate keeps evolving. You never mentioned the Rez cake before today. Your previous point was only the +2 stat tome and True Reincarnation make you stronger. Both of those are clearly more powerful then the rez cake but they are not the only things that make you stronger.

Originally posted by pmaura

Edit:  Oh, another reason for you to get the Delara's Graveyard adventure pack is that the Delara's quest line is narrated by Gary Gygax!  (This probably only matters if you actually play PnP D&D, and know who Gary Gygax

Do you have 50 favor points on those chars? Get to 50 on each server.

The store does not sell a way to remove those restrictions, but the first time you BUY Turbine Points with a purchase as low as about 6 bucks you are upgraded to premium player and the restrictions are lifted. You can not use points you earned in game for free to become a premium player, that requires a one time purchase of Turbine Points.

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by Heltern

Other games favor the guy who lives in Mom's basement, so working people can outgear them, I say GOOD !!!

But you would be wrong here. DDO does not allow you to outgear them with your credit card. The best items in DDO are not available for purchase.

True, true. You don't get overpowered characters in DDO by buying things directly from the store. Nah, it's the TRs. A lot of TRs that does the trick.