Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The View of Runescape from a 9 Year Player

ShadowruinShadowruin Member Posts: 2

Hello,

My name username is Shadow Ruin on Runescape, and I have something to say for all of the people that put RS down for being completely Unfair when it comes to Discipline, or it's a bunch of repetitive clicking that leads to nothing.

What some of you may not know is that the Runescape that alot of yall know is actually RS 2. Many of the people who current play RS, probably never knew that there was an original RS, I myself have gotten to play RS(Classic), which is the original RS. If you compare the graphics and logistics of RS Classic to RS 2, you'll find many small differences, but only 1 huge difference. The huge difference is only the graphics which in RS Classic, were extremely poor. The distance that RS 2 has come since i began playing in 2001 is completely astonishing. Alot of you may mock RS for being a very poor game graphics wise, but think about it.

YOU PLAY FOR FREE!!!

What do you expect from a game that is 100% free to play, the graphics for a free-to-play game are of course gonna be rather poor, but, in my honest opinion, the graphics for this game are rather well done. If you play this game on HD Fullscreen, the game looks alot more Legitimate. But for all of the Non-Member players in Runescape, you are limited to HD in a Set View Making the Full Screen Version of this game out of reach.

Alot of you do not appreciate a good game when you see it. I know alot of you think that this game is just alot of reptitive clicking, but if ou think about it COD: Modern Warfare 2, or Halo 3, or whatever, are just a bunch of reptitive button pushing. So what makes Runescape so much more different from COD or Halo? Other than the ability to shoot people at will, the slightly better graphics, or use a controller to play it? A huge Similarity between these 2 games is the fact that these two games are massive online multiplayer games and that they are both extremely competitive.

And now, maybe the most important part of this post, is directed towards the people who think that the discipline system is unfair or macroed.

The fact about this system is that they "will" more than lilkely catch you if you use macros. If you use a macro in Runescape, they have a special piece of software that will detect it and it will notify, the leader of Discipline, who is of course, the person in charge of mutes, bans, etc. If this person sees fit that you should be banned or muted, then he will take action against you. You may think that you dont have a fair chance to over do the ban or mute but you do. It's called, DONT BREAK THE RULES!!! And even if you are completely sure that you have no offence, RS has a system that you can use to appeal you ban or mute. They take this system into much consideration so don't think that you're getting short-changed.

This goes out to everyone!!

IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES YOU WILL HAVE A MUCH BETTER EXPERIENCE WITH RUNESCAPE.

Thank You,

Shadow Ruin

•*??)
`?.•??.•*??) ?.•*?)
(?.•? (?.• Shadow Ruin

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I played it back in 2001, and played it for a few years, and from then it was on and off. I quit shortly after they introduced the expanded areas like seers village and added items like the dragon sword/baxe and what not.

All I can say about it is, for the time, the graphics were not great, they weren't even good. But they were not "BAD" either. People always complain about it's shit graphics... Well duh, it's a browser based game from 2001. This is close to the age of "ULTIME ONLINE" We are talking about.

• ArkinoArkino Member Posts: 3

*No Cussing* :)

I personally started Runescape in the 5th grade 8-9 years old. I got taken advantage of first farming for friends @ school and then got into some dumb drama, though good thing I was too young to understand the pain. Also there was competition between me and older people but it also led me to hurting others and leaving them wait for a 9 year old yes I admit I lied about my age back then. Today I am 15 i quited like the day they got that dumb 3D update that made every guy look like a girl you do the math. Jagex was never involved with the community for me to see I always killed people with cheap tricks up my sleeves and back then my honest opinion was Runescape was a dating game. Those of you saying oh this guys a fail, I considered myself to be above noob, I made level 91 and the time I quited Runescape sent an additional 90$ bill out of nowhere (Yes, I was a member). So that happened and got straighten out but Runescape is a death trap.

Why is it a death trap? Let me tell the parents of what stuff I got into. I had a 16 year old girl around me all the time and didn't know what to do with her (I was 9). I had to get into a mix with my friend account sharing or not (I thought he got hacked and had to save the account myself). I had to compete with a level 70 member when I was along the lines of level 30-50 and I ended up beating him being 80 when I met him again because of the same girl. To those husbands of desperate house wives I knew a Mod who got married in-game while she was married herself in real life. Laugh my butt off, In my opinion never trust a girl that plays games. I had endured nights of staying up to play this game at such a young age; If I could exchange all that time for sleep I would probably be able to keep up with all my A and AP classes without a problem. If I didn't use Runescape as an excuse for having something better to do my dad wouldn't be 45 years old now and I haven't learned one thing from him. I was never in the rush to grow up but that is what Runescape does to you.

9 years back, it was a stressful game.

15 years old today, that game wasted 4 years of my life and it will take years more to make up the years I had lost doing nothing.

P.S. those years in Runescape meant nothing and I could have done alot better with the same life given to me.

This game was made by the devil himself if you lose your account people, sorry but it's gone forever I've tried 3 times in the past year.

Part 2: Were there memories to be remembered? Heck no Laugh Out Loud. It was like being homeless seriously. The game was pretty much designed to be like George Bush, holding it off until their time is over. Nothing can help Runescape because it was never a great game. Again Runescape is a waste of your time I did not appreciate all the times it felt to kill someone on that game or to be in a Clan. None of my friends survived Runescape and neither did my account. I lost completely everything those 4 years and Shadowruin can flame me like he did to Dajart but forget that dude (Shadow Ruin) Laugh My Butt Off. Also my best friends (who were just serious egoes) were all drama and they got themselves screwed so bad in the end I would never see them again.

Username (RS): Asianboy7777, Good luck finding me.

*Grammar editting in progress*

• EpicHandsEpicHands Member Posts: 15

Cool bro you forgot to mention that jagex are a bunch of hypocrits though that use a bot for there appeal system, youtube videos have proved that people putting in song lyrics or plain out cursing jagex for getting banned have gotten account appeals accepted!

Jagex are a bunch of bums.

GF though ;)

Yeah, I did forget. I think that Runescape should be sued ruined socially and lawfully. There is no right or wrong just what's just and it would be just to stop Runescape from making these unjust actions, am I right? I`m too young though, to think critically. I think if a grown up could either ruin them socially or lawfully would make the world right. How many people play Runescape? Alot. By the way one more thing. I came back after years and everyone @ an usual spot was gone. I don't know how that could happen like it was just DEAD. Runescape should've never had happen. If they offered my account back or whatever. I would say, " You aren't poop without your damn game and cash and I don't know who you are because your doing alot of weird poo." Last but not least a 12 year old couldv'e accomplished a way better MMORPG than Runescape, a 12 year old could find a free making mmorpg and be all against runescape and no doubt runescape will be down to 1,000 players that just love to play because they wasted time already, why not more?

Let me ask you readers, what does this game have to offer but pedophiles, drama, and the emotionally detatched. This game led me through hell and I wasn't where i should be, with my father. This game will traumitize your kids.

P.S. I'm going to TELL you what kind of people play Runescape. I have a retarded friend, yes a retard that plays Runescape and half the stuff you don't want me to tell you what I see. The dude still plays it and has the SAME reactions and he's a junior in Highschool. Then there's the creepers. People who only talk pervertedly and no doubt play with themselves literally and THEY do go to this game "Runescape" think about WHO your kids are making friends with. People do play Runescape during school time @ my Highschool and it's just pathetic. Where are these kids to go you ask? I'll tell you, out in the real world where people CAN save people unlike Runescape bringing everyone down, I could've been with my father.

@ Parents: there are no other games like Runescape. This is NOT a social phase it's just so evil I'd call it the devil. I got a 90$ bill from them just for ending my membership and we were like what the heck?

I'm sorry for not introducing myself more but this is my past and I only registered to send a dog slap straight to Runescape.

,Sincerely and Deeply from a 9 year old that used to play.

Somebody please post some statistics on how messed up this game is I might dabble in it but you know what this game is? Just Horrible. Don't play this MMO :). This should be as big as any other news story that's like oh its a tragic because this game is.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

I've played this game for around 5 years before finally calling it quits. My current name (Oracle Fefe) is my Runescape name after changing it, incase you wish to see my stats (Yes, they are mediocre but I never was a determined person.)

One of my problems with the game, is the over-repetitiveness of leveling. You want to level your melee stats, kill thousands of "This creature", run to a bank to get food, and come back to kill a thousand more.

You want to level magic, cast this one spell ten thousand times on an item.

You want to make money? Tough luck, you can't make good money without spending days killing the same monster over and over, and even then if you're unlucky you will never see that rare drop from the boss, or it will be given to someone else.

My MAJOR problem, though, was that I was a magic fan in any MMO. I'd play a mage or atleast a spellcaster class in any game that I could, if there were no magicians but magic-like spells, I'd go for them.

In Runescape, being a mage is actually shunned upon. The only real use is to Teleblock in pvp, use one spell while meleeing/ranging, or cast one spell to freeze an opponent in place so you can melee/range. All three classes (Melee/Ranged/Magic) are very..stale in terms of gear. Everyone uses the whip, godsword, or crossbow (Though Jagex are trying to convince mages to use staves more then anything, it isn't working as well.) I could continue explaining my troubles, but I bet this is too much to read anywho. I'm sorry.

Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

I've played this game for around 5 years before finally calling it quits. My current name (Oracle Fefe) is my Runescape name after changing it, incase you wish to see my stats (Yes, they are mediocre but I never was a determined person.)

One of my problems with the game, is the over-repetitiveness of leveling. You want to level your melee stats, kill thousands of "This creature", run to a bank to get food, and come back to kill a thousand more.

You want to level magic, cast this one spell ten thousand times on an item.

You want to make money? Tough luck, you can't make good money without spending days killing the same monster over and over, and even then if you're unlucky you will never see that rare drop from the boss, or it will be given to someone else.

My MAJOR problem, though, was that I was a magic fan in any MMO. I'd play a mage or atleast a spellcaster class in any game that I could, if there were no magicians but magic-like spells, I'd go for them.

In Runescape, being a mage is actually shunned upon. The only real use is to Teleblock in pvp, use one spell while meleeing/ranging, or cast one spell to freeze an opponent in place so you can melee/range. All three classes (Melee/Ranged/Magic) are very..stale in terms of gear. Everyone uses the whip, godsword, or crossbow (Though Jagex are trying to convince mages to use staves more then anything, it isn't working as well.) I could continue explaining my troubles, but I bet this is too much to read anywho. I'm sorry.

Here's my feedback, the leveling was so and so but it's not impossible. Money could have been made with non-fighting skills like wood cutting, making bows, and ect. As for mages... I never been killed by one. Also its not that long compared to mine and I don't mind reading smacks to Runescape.

Also P.S. I forgot about these 2 things I wanted to share, 1 Runescape is out to get the elementary school children because I remember there was a Runescape book of some sort @ a educational book fair. 2 I only joined because when I was in the 5th grade I got invited.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by Arkino

Here's my feedback, the leveling was so and so but it's not impossible. Money could have been made with non-fighting skills like wood cutting, making bows, and ect. As for mages... I never been killed by one. Also its not that long compared to mine and I don't mind reading smacks to Runescape.

Also P.S. I forgot about these 2 things I wanted to share, 1 Runescape is out to get the elementary school children because I remember there was a Runescape book of some sort @ a educational book fair. 2 I only joined because when I was in the 5th grade I got invited.

You're absolutely correct. Money can be made such way, but the net profit is either really really low, or it takes far too long to accomplish too little. In the past Maple Logs and Yew were a source of Income, along with willow. Now it's just very repetative and there are people who actually wish the bots were back (Not that I do. I actually wanted them gone.)

The fact that you've never been killed by a mage (And I, as a mage, never killed anyone in a world pvp server using full zuriel and Ice Barrage/Blood Barrage/Miasmic barrage with mage pot) adds to the imbalence of the combat triangle. Ranged and Melee are fine, maybe Ranged may be even better since they have effect-enhancing crossbows. Magic, for all the years, was never considered a pvp option unless you're in a giant clan group, even then your only thing to do is Ice Barrage or Teleblock.

P.S: I know. I own the book Betrayal at Falador, and I joined when I was invited in the fourth grade. The book isn't elementary-suited since it involves murder.

• mad_webbiemad_webbie Member Posts: 45

To OP, goodluck. I was much like you a year ago. Now, i keep hearing people that are close to me getting penalize or worst got banned! I am muted for two days for saying "Megan Fox is a dude", lol!

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

To be Jagex means to fill one's day, facebook wall, or blog, or life with many pointless updates aimed to generate a highly negative response.

A typical RuneScape coversation:

Mike - Hey dud* where can I find ****** *a****s*?

Peter - Yeah I ***** a **c** with **** yesterday ******t* lumbridge tutor **** with a ********* pot of ******** *** ***** fun.

Johnny - You have to be at least 13 to play RuneScape?!

Pmod - All banned for excessive use of offensive language. But if you apologize I might mute you to make the game even more pointless and piss you off. Viva Jagex and Lenin!

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Just what I expected from a 9 year old; blatant, unwarranted, rabid love for JAGEX.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Runescape was created around the time I was entering middle school, I am now a 23-year-old man and it once was a decent FREE game, let me repeat that one word, FREE.  Something it should have remained being.  We were hooked to the game because at the time it had relative freedom in the sense it was open PVP and if I remember correctly was full loot to a point.  For many of us it was our first MMO and it was a blast playing with all our friends... so much so our school had to ban the game from being played on school grounds.

Once Jagex started "carebearing" the game a lot of my friends including myself slowly started leaving the game behind, we no longer had the fun we once did.  I have fond memories of the game, and still have an active account with a two letter password... but like I said, the "wilderness zone" or whatever they wish to call it really did mark the downward spiral for a lot of us. 

There are many better games out there to play these days, and really if you're a member I feel bad for you because really another 10 bucks most and you could be playing at least WoW.

I've never had to email Jagex or anything so can't comment on customer support, I will say this though.  What do you expect? small company with a younger player-base... I wouldn't want to deal with childrens petty complaints either.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• knapleknaple Member UncommonPosts: 56

I can see where you were going with this thread, but really you have not mentioned anything that would make someone want to actually give runescape a fair chance. That fact of the matter is that Runescape is not a good game. The quests are really long and only moderately rewarding, there is little reward in reaching max level is most skills(only reward is saying "hey look how much free time I have with this cape"), and it takes forever to get anywhere even if you teleport. The "rules" that were set in Runescape are rules that you give a 5 year old. Things that used to make the game fun like killing people and taking all their stuff, and buying things for super cheap from someone that doesnt know better and selling it for a huge profit, you are unable to do these things anymore because Jagex thinks that it is unfair for those being taken advantage of. You cant take little things like these out of a B rated game and except people to get into it. The only things that RS has going for it right now is a wide selection of skills. With the skills it is just a bunch of repetitive cycles and trips to the bank. The only way to start making money is by doing the same thing over and over again for hours. I think that RS is a great game..... for kids, which is the only audience that Jagex cares about (which is the audience that usually cant afford the 5 dollars a month to be a member), and it is a great tool for kids to learn about economy. 

Why RS is for kids : Filtered Language, being muted for working your way around the language filter, predetermined pricing, poor graphics, easy access on any computer (no download required), all of the mini-games, farming is a skill, corny animation..... Oh and the 100,000 elementary school kids who play it.

~Knaple~

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

Shadowruin is clearly a Jagex worker or a mate of them to falsely support them and fail to find a single bad thing when Runescape 2 probably has the most failures of any online game

Note: to self; don't rave on as even MMORPG here logs us out with too much to say!

Now consider from an adults point that a lot of us played it to enjoy dialogue with some decent online friends. Please realise that I made friends with a lady stuck in her home due to a very bad car crash so played to pass the time. Another friend is fully bed-bound after working hard & bringing 3 kids into the world only to have her back fail. Then there's the 3 ladies in their 30s that were such nice personalities and great to talk with along with their kids that made this game so worthwhile - the cancer finally got to all of them so I can't ask for their support here but I hope they truely are RIP. Still a lot of my adult friends play so I just casually go online to do a bit and talk with those that are left. Those of us that have played for 8 years don't like quitting all our hard work and I have often complained at the unfairness of sensible people on just an hour or 2 paying for idiots and mostly botts to play 24/7.image

To those ignorant of where the macroes went; they are still playing and now the macro programs operate your mouse and keyboard which means Jagex lack of skill can't detect this at all. Take certain high level accounts that skite on YouTube, these use multiple bott accounts to replenish anything they loose so nothings a worry to them. Botts can do everything and they are tuned up to do it better than what the operators can play themselves thus even PKing is done by botts. Botts can do all skills, all fighting aswell as all quests and now also do all the diaries so 'High Scores' is probably the biggest joke in the game. Have you noted how "Dungeoneering' is mostly botted since those at the highest level on it have to get 670k experience a day from day 1 which is only possible maybe 24/7!!!image

Then think what you or your parents have paid for! In NZ it costs at least $11 a month and in my time I have spent $1500+ to play but just 1 lowlife took my account and stole 500mgp of gear so thats like 3/4 of all my work and an estimated $1000 that got stolen but Jagex still allow all hackers to continue to play! Just recently I found out another friend had a friend who just got hacked after 8 years of playing - something about a Mod talking to him that led to the loss but he won't say any more about it. This points to real life these days where kids are so disgusting that they think they can hide online stealing peoples hard work and ignore the fact that there is a caring human behind the accounts they steal. If you know a hacker then immediately avoid that person in real life as they can never be trusted and should always be reported for their dishonesty.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I played RS back in 2003-2004 and its definitely not as bad a game as I am about to make it out to be.

OK, even for a free to play game (and p2p if you want members), this game isn't all that good...times have changed, and the MMO markets have expanded greatly giving f2p gamers many more options.  Even games that use to be p2p have added some f2p aspect to them (LotRo is a recent addition, and everquest II has been for a while now).  there are some cheap b2p games out there that are worth more than there cost in members fees in RS...hell, there are lots of flash games I like more than RS.

please stop deluding yourself if you think the line "YOU PLAY FOR FREE!!!" improves RS's value as a MMORPG.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

i played this game back when its came out. its was fun to kill everyones everywhere ,then they make pvp only in the wilderness , since then i was only living in the wild pking people until RS2 came out. its was good time

my name was Kardo  lvl 105, i was sharing the character with my sister, if anyones remember kardo . i was pratictly only in server 9 :P

:P

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

I don't pay Jagex anymore to go on the game and I feel so sad for the friends I talk with since they are still paying. Jagex work on the premise that starting the skill levels with so little experience and to do far too much work to max them plays on the expectation that addiction will keep people going regardless of how bad they make things.

There is always so much pathetic debate by mindless selfish kids that just keep asking for better graphics. All the graphics improvements have done is slow the skilling and fighting rates down to snails pace while removing all the longer players that haven't kept replacing their computers to handle the graphics that Jagex dont even think about on their member paid new computers. I remember when I swung my pick up then down & got 1 ore, now my character swings all around taking probably 6 to 8 times as long to swing and the ore just comes every 5 to 20 strokes of the pick - do you still pay your $5US to take 20 times as long for the same experience, thats $100US to get what you used to 8 years ago for $5US!image

Note also these days that Jagex dont attempt to fix any thing as their technicians are too incompetant to repair anything and deleting the Romeo & Juliet quest was a test for removing everything us long time players have stuck to in skilling. When Jagex keep ignoring the longest time players, all they do is distroy their own game more all the time. Word of mouth is the best advertisement and it used to get people into playing but now is the best way to bring them out of their addiction!image