Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online September Update: Info about New Build, House of Commons IRC Chat

2»

Comments

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

When is this patch being implemented?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by mrw0lf

When is this patch being implemented?

They estimate the new build will be implemented within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• sakkdaddysakkdaddy Member UncommonPosts: 45

We just have to wait and see how it goes.  It's definitely going to be an epic patch though.  We just don't know for sure if it will be the good kind of epic or not.

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by sakkdaddy

We just have to wait and see how it goes.  It's definitely going to be an epic patch though.  We just don't know for sure if it will be the good kind of epic or not.

This is what reading the MMORPG forums does to you. Suddenly patches from the Unreal Developers and EpicChina become questionable due to the constant trolling that goes on here. Reality is the patch will improve the game ten fold just like the last patch Epic developed, it will have a few bugs for sure but they will get ironed out...

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by thorppes

This is what reading the MMORPG forums does to you. Suddenly patches from the Unreal Developers and EpicChina become questionable due to the constant trolling that goes on here. Reality is the patch will improve the game ten fold just like the last patch Epic developed, it will have a few bugs for sure but they will get ironed out...

I don't think it has anything to do with reading the forums here. Being skeptical is a perfectly natural human reaction, especially in regards to a company that has under-delivered on a consistent basis. We can argue this constitency, but the fact of the matter is that what they're providing to their users isn't exactly what they were claiming it to be before release, just like every other MMO (which makes the presence of skeptics totally understandable).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I don't think it has anything to do with reading the forums here. Being skeptical is a perfectly natural human reaction, especially in regards to a company that has under-delivered on a consistent basis. We can argue this constitency, but the fact of the matter is that what they're providing to their users isn't exactly what they were claiming it to be before release, just like every other MMO (which makes the presence of skeptics totally understandable).

Then you missed the part where this patch has been developed by Epic China and not SV. And as a matter of fact we got more than we were told we would come release, we were told several times the game would be in a non-polished buggy state with X amount of features.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Then you missed the part where this patch has been developed by Epic China and not SV. And as a matter of fact we got more than we were told we would come release, we were told several times the game would be in a non-polished buggy state with X amount of features.

I didn't miss anything, I just believe there are other people like myself who are willing to wait around and ask them to prove it before I determine whether or not this is doomed to fail or succeed. It doesn't matter who the company is, or what game they're providing a patch for - we've all seen posts or information releases like this before, and most of us who have enough experience or insight to recognize the trend are waiting to actually see results. I'd be skeptical even without visiting these forums, and most of that is based upon the expectations I have as a consumer.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

I didn't miss anything, I just believe there are other people like myself who are willing to wait around and ask them to prove it before I determine whether or not this is doomed to fail or succeed. It doesn't matter who the company is, or what game they're providing a patch for - we've all seen posts or information releases like this before, and most of us who have enough experience or insight to recognize the trend are waiting to actually see results. I'd be skeptical even without visiting these forums, and most of that is based upon the expectations I have as a consumer.

Ahhh you hit the button on your last word.  Consumer. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

And? It's still a bug ridden mess of content. If there wasn't such a cult following on UO nostalgia then this game would have never made it out the door.

It is quite the business model, though. Release with very few features and get peoples sub money for a year or so and then release the content that you should have had from day 1.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

It doesnt matter what Epic does.. SV still has no idea how to work the engine to get it to do what they want it to do. Thats why the game has always been in bad shape. It isnt like the engine is so complicated that only the best / most skilled devs can use it. If SV knew what they were doing they wouldnt have to wait on Epic to put out another build.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

It doesnt matter what Epic does.. SV still has no idea how to work the engine to get it to do what they want it to do. Thats why the game has always been in bad shape. It isnt like the engine is so complicated that only the best / most skilled devs can use it. If SV knew what they were doing they wouldnt have to wait on Epic to put out another build.

Quiet misinformed, it's Epic's job to provide engine updates because SV has lisenced the Unreal Engine. Clearly the engine has been adapted for large scale MMO's and needs polishing and tweeking itself, Epic provide SV with development tools for their game and massive performance increases.

It's also clear SV devs are not the most experienced in the world too, they like mucking up things with larger patches and are then forced to repair them throughout the week. Experience is only gained through practise unfortunately. Many games, especially indie releases are buggy and have broken aspects at launch. MO has come a long way and is finally starting to shape up with this next Epic developed patch on its way in.

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

This place has not really changed...

Been playing Mortal Online and NO this patch is not the "Blessing from Above", but it is an improvement. Which is all i've ever seen from this game... one improvement after the next.

A group of  people managed to push out a game without major backing or the countless teams of developers that one always seems to expect from an MMO these days... and it appears to be working.

I'm hoping to see this happen more often in the future.

With Epic Games and SV working together to upgrade and improve the Atlas Technology, you'll not only see improvements in Mortal Online, but future MMOs that choose to go with Atlas and the Unreal engine will also be better off.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by LiquidWolf

This place has not really changed...

Been playing Mortal Online and NO this patch is not the "Blessing from Above", but it is an improvement. Which is all i've ever seen from this game... one improvement after the next.

A group of  people managed to push out a game without major backing or the countless teams of developers that one always seems to expect from an MMO these days... and it appears to be working.

I'm hoping to see this happen more often in the future.

With Epic Games and SV working together to upgrade and improve the Atlas Technology, you'll not only see improvements in Mortal Online, but future MMOs that choose to go with Atlas and the Unreal engine will also be better off.

I agree with you completely.

The Epic patch may in fact come in a series of several patches.  We might not get EVERYTHING they promised with the Epic patch in the next patch, but eventually over a series of patches we will.  But then again, we may get everything promised with the epic patch in the next mortal online patch you never know.  

The point is Mortal Online is moving in the right direction and starvault is keeping there promises by implementing features they said they would implement and improving the game each and every patch.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

MO is slowly getting better, BUT there is so much to fix and add that it may be not enough to keep the present population and get some new players.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Problem now with MO isn't just about bugs and performance but the fact that its boring. during beta I quickly found myself bored and was continiously hoping for stuff to change and content to come. after release I played 1 month and it was the same.

Nowaday, I read MO forums and I see even hardcore fans are getting bored.

SV did a good thing by adding fishing, but its just too late I'm afraid. There is just not enough stuff to keep a player busy and hoping for stuff he can achieve later on if he keeps working on his character.

Say what you want but the whole "no grind" theory is flawed. Players in a MMO just need a grind, wether its levels, exp, or some other thing, but you need a grind to keep you hoping to get to a next stage, a next step, towards some form of accomplishment.

The thing is just to make that interesting and fun, unlike DFO where you would just macro it.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by username509

And with each patch my statement you quoted only gets confirmed....

There have been  players that left to play other games but as you can tell by the fact there's 130 people in a SURPRISE house of commons chat right now there is still a avid following for mortal online and one that grows with the game, much like Eve's playerbase.  There are more people in this surprise chat with a developer than any other games irc room.  

In terms of population Henrik let this little tidbit slip out in a news post.  

"• Better server stability and performance, we can now support a few more thousands of players simultaneously."

http://www.mortalonline.com/news/newsletter-september-2010-09-16

Sounds like a bit more than the 75 concurrent players on the mortal online server that some people have reported on these forums....

Just because the server CAN support thousands of simultaneous players, that doesn't mean there WILL be that many playing. A football club can build a bigger stadium but they need to be able to attract the extra spectators to fill it, and I doubt this newest patch will attract many more players until it first proves to be a success and can win back the disillusioned.

This also all depends on how well SV merge and implement the new engine code and what they do with it. Their track record on utilising third-party technology is pretty poor quite frankly. I'm not saying the patch won't fix anything, I'm just saying that you can't just copy and paste a chunk someone else's code and fix everything.