Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which non-mmorpg gamecompany would you like to see making a MMORPG?

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

For me it would be Rockstar, I would be very curious what they could bring to this genre.

I don't know if they would be truly capable of creating a MMORPG but that isn't the point of this topic.

Merly curious and intrested to see other people's thoughts on who they feel should have a go at creating a MMORPG.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Instead of honking your horn to get an NPC prostitute, driving to a back alley, paying her, letting her out of the car then proceeding to beat her until she is dead to get your money back, you could do it to REAL PEOPLE.

Edit: I think I would have chosen Bioware if they hadn't already been making one. I'm curious to see how they do.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Bethesda, Epic games and valve from top of my head.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by colddog04

Instead of honking your horn to get an NPC prostitute, driving to a back alley, paying her, letting her out of the car then proceeding to beat her until she is dead to get your money back, you could do it to REAL PEOPLE.

http://www.rockstargames.com/games#/dl:/games/showAll/priority/

check the link incase you think Rockstar only made GrandTheftAuto.

But thanks for sharing which gamecompany you would like to see trying to create a game in this genre image

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by colddog04

http://www.rockstargames.com/games#/dl:/games/showAll/priority/

check the link incase you think Rockstar only made GrandTheftAuto.

But thanks for sharing which gamecompany you would like to see trying to create a game in this genre.

In case I came off like I thought there was something inherently wrong with the situation I discussed, I want to dispel that now.

That sounds like a fun MMO.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I thought the creative people behind GTA made APB. Well.. thats not exactly the same as Rockstar making it.

I like to fancy the idea of a MMO from Ion Storm even though they closed down. I really loved Deus Ex and Theif so naturally, I wonder how they could be translated into a MMO. Or something like System Shock from Irrational Games.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

The guys who made Grim Fandango, the guys who made The Neverhood, and the guys who made the Myst Series. I don't mean the company, but the actual people behind those projects themselves. I know they already had some kind of Myst online but I'd like to see a reboot. A good adventure and exploration MMO that had a ridiculous amount of content would really make me happy. 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by mmoguy43

I thought the creative people behind GTA made APB. Well.. thats not exactly the same as Rockstar making it.

David Jones founded both Realtime Worlds and DMA design (Rockstar North), he led the game design on APB but i've no idea if there were any other Rockstar employees there.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i would love to see Vigil make a MMO.  oh wait, they already are.  image

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

ID Software or Valve.

I would love to see a fully persistant massive world, with full character growth, done in first person shooter style, by a company who knows how to make FPS games. I dont think any MMO so far has done FPS in a way that has felt as immersive and terrifying as games like Quake, Doom or HL felt. 

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Bethesda, Bioware and Valve.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Rockstar

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

bethesda for sure

• Malvious2Malvious2 Member Posts: 25

Blizzard! oh wait...

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Matel - Masters of the Universe

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

Some social gaming companies like Zynga.

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

Well, at one point in time I would say I'd like to see Bethesda make one. However, now I have found out that one is in the works. That's exciting! I can play their Elder Scrolls-based MMO alongside Ryzom.

www.ryzom.com

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Reklaw

For me it would be Rockstar, I would be very curious what they could bring to this genre.

I don't know if they would be truly capable of creating a MMORPG but that isn't the point of this topic.

Merly curious and intrested to see other people's thoughts on who they feel should have a go at creating a MMORPG.

I'm going to have to cosign the op and say Rockstar.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Going with Valve.

TF2 MMO?

"You are level 2. Not big surprise."

• wozawoza Member UncommonPosts: 21

Honestly, none.  Infact I'd like to see 1/2 of those doing it now scaling their games back to be single player CRPGs or strategy titles.  MMOs have basically killed off these 2 genres which is frustrating considering how 90% of MMOs fail.

If you took a game like Alganon, added a little bit more complexity to the quests and made a party system, you'd have the basis for an awesome single player title, without the need for the whole 'this is a rippoff of WoW' propaganda that killed it.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by woza

Honestly, none.  Infact I'd like to see 1/2 of those doing it now scaling their games back to be single player CRPGs or strategy titles.  MMOs have basically killed off these 2 genres which is frustrating considering how 90% of MMOs fail.

If you took a game like Alganon, added a little bit more complexity to the quests and made a party system, you'd have the basis for an awesome single player title, without the need for the whole 'this is a rippoff of WoW' propaganda that killed it.

While I agree fewer companies should be making MMO's now so they plan them out a bit more, I'd say you're wrong about what happened to CRPG or strategy titles.

SP RPGs still get made by AAA companies. Most SP games have some form of leveling progression system inspired by RPGs. What SP games are experiencing the most now is just melding of genres. That's a good thing. While there are bad games that get made while finding a new style, definite good ones are made still as well. Take the 1st/3rd STALKER games, I'd absolutely call those Shooter-RPG's, where the core of the game/replayability is a purely SP encounter.

Now, if you're saying someone should go back and make some big-budget AAA turn-based tile-crawler, ala M&M3:Xeen saga, that's just unreasonable because AAA budgets denote mass-market target audience, and mass market doesn't want turn-based unless its puzzle or portable. Though, you may have a different intention of CRPG than Might and Magic series.

As for the Strategy genre, they shot themselves in the foot a while ago. Only Relic and Blizzard have kept RTS in favor well. As for turn-based strategy, well, mass-market will take that, but most want it hand-held, either on the phone or portable console. When they're sitting on their butts at home, more people than not want active-engagement from their gaming recreation.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

SEGA's team that makes the Yakuza series. They could probably make a damn fine mmorpg.

• PsycheiPsychei Member Posts: 148

Bethesda would be my first pick, I would love to see an MMO with the elder scrolls style game play, story, dialogue, and interactivity, I always complain that the only thing Elder Scrolls is missing is multiplayer capability. 

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Treasure (they used to make platformer games: Gunstar Heroes, Mischief Makers, Dynamite Headdy) - the mmo would probably be 2D but the epicness would more than make up for it. 

Tri-ace (Star Ocean Series) - say what you want about Star Ocean 3 and 4, but 2 was awesome and had elements that would make for a very deep and engaging mmo experience.

Capcom - Actually they already made a monster hunter mmo I guess?  But more would be good.

Ubisoft - Plenty of nice IPs that would convert well into mmos, and whatever they went with I'm sure it'd be quality.

Sonic Team - C'mon, you know you're curious how it'd turn out.

• wozawoza Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by Haegemon

Now, if you're saying someone should go back and make some big-budget AAA turn-based tile-crawler, ala M&M3:Xeen saga, that's just unreasonable because AAA budgets denote mass-market target audience, and mass market doesn't want turn-based unless its puzzle or portable. Though, you may have a different intention of CRPG than Might and Magic series.

The problem is that all these assumptions that have been made within the industry are just that, assumptions.   They're all based around whatever the newest hardware can provide but are less focussed on what people actually want.

You could take the argument that people want action and game companies are wasting their time making anything but the next WoW, the next Counter-Strike or the next GTA which I've never really understood.  Civilization 5 is just around the corner and it's a grand case of how flashier does not necessarily mean better.  The developers know what made the series good and they're sticking to the formula.  Sure the graphics are better, I'm not saying that they're not, but do I need to be on the battlefield in first person scalping my fallen foes?  No, in fact I don't want to be.  Is Civ 5 going to outsell GTA4? No.  Are the developers aware of this?  I'm sure they are.  Does this mean they shouldn't bother?  I don't see why, there's a niche there that isn't going to be filled by any game that's trying to be one of the aforementioned 3.

Even the triple A titles that are RPGs, while successful I guess, are somewhat letdowns.  Let's take Dragonage.  It sold itself on being the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.  Any RPG fan (who's over 20) would tell you that it was a pale shadow at best.  It was on rails in restricted environments where the character progression was very MMO like and lacking any real depth.  Was it immersive?  In part.  The combat was repetitive and way too frequent for my liking.

I think the problem with game development atm is that people look back at titles designed for 14" 640x480 resolutions, see that it's unplayable on their 22" true colour widescreen and assume that the problem is that the game isn't enough like Counter-Strike (Yes, I hate the game.  No I don't hate shooters, just that one in particular for how much it put back gaming, along with Doom and Starcraft).

I fear for some of the new titles coming out:

X-Com - Seriously a shooter? WTF?

Fallout: New Vegas - I've heard VATs being used as a dirty word in interviews.  It's the only thing that made Fallout 3 succeed where a true shooter would have failed.  How about less of the game being in subway tunnels and more NPC interaction like in Fallout 2.  Here's hoping...........

Deus Ex 3 - I've yet to see a screenshot or a or discussion on how the 'RPG' elements are being implemented.  You know those bits that made Deus Ex the best game ever in many circles?  Sure the videos of how he twists people's heads off with Cyberware while invisible look fun, but that's not Deus Ex, not by a long shot.

I could use the same points on how the death of television has nothing to do with the internet but that's another discussion ;)

As for your point.  No I don't think that Bioware should go out and spend $50M on a tile based cRPG, but do they have to remember their roots?  Absolutely.  I'm not sure that they are though when you look at the difference between Mass Effect 1 and 2.  The second was an inferior game.  It's a shame reviews aren't written by people who get invested in gaming.  I think that as soon as someone does essentially put out 'Wizardry 7' (not 8, it too suffered from Counterstrike-itis) for a more modern system that they'll all be surprised by the reception it recieves.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Jazqa

Bethesda, Bioware and Valve.

SW:TOR?

Valve for me anwyay

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon