Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm impressed.

GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

FFXIV is a great game. I went in without too much in the way of expectations, but this game is awesome.

Obviously the controls are a bit crappy at the moment, having to use IJKL to rotate the camera easy as you run around - but the right mouse button works well for that as well, so it's not an overly annoying situation. You get used to those controls after a while. I assume they'll have customizable keybinding at launch, but for now, it's locked out, so can't change anything. 

The combat is pretty cool. Seems a little slow at first with the one skill to use, but you quickly get a couple more as you complete the first main questline, and rank up your job. It fits the game well. Press F to enter active mode/unsheath your weapon, run up to the enemy and start pressing the corresponding number keys to use each attack. Each skill that's not just a normal attack takes a certain amount of TP that you build up quickly through your basic attacks, and you have to keep your stamina gauge within a certain limit (refills fast) in order to continuously attack without rest. 

But I'm sure you all knew that already. 

The meat and potatoes of this game is definitely the storyline and atmosphere. In my opinion, FFXI has the best atmosphere of any MMO out there, and FFXIV is following suit. Square-Enix really knows how to bring a world to life. The story is pretty compelling, and I didn't wanna stop playing just to keep going and see what happened. All of the NPC's from each of the different areas (You can choose to start in Limsa Lominsa, Gridania, or Ul'dah) have their own unique ways of talking (at least some of them) and assumed accents and stuff. Each starting area has its own storyline to follow, though they kinda all follow the same pattern when it comes to travelling around - there's just different events that unfold. 

Though one thing that was a bit annoying was having to run long periods to get to places. Seemed to take like 5-10 minutes or longer to get from one quest location to another at the beginning, because the area is big. Not sure if it'll get worse than that later on for everything. It's not really a major deal, really. Chances are there'll be all kinds of ways to speed up travel later.

Ul'dah is my favorite starting area. The desert city with a market place and all that good stuff. I really loved the environment outside of the city, in the desert. The mountains far off into the distance and the general quality of everything were great, and I was wowed when the sandstorm hit. Loved that. 

I don't really feel like typing much more, and you've all read about the other systems in the game by now, so no real need for me to talk about my small experience with guildleves and other stuff. 

Definitely gonna have a good time with this game for a while. Though I have to run it on almost lowest settings with my 2 year old computer, otherwise it crashes a lot. Sometimes locks up my computer entirely.  

Comments

• maskedtearsmaskedtears Member UncommonPosts: 345

Ul'dah is my favorite too. I laughed so hard when I got called a poxy whore. I thought to myself, "Wow SE, you outdid yourself. I managed to get offended by a game!" The rain and storms in Ul'dah are enchanting that's for sure. 

I'm hoping everything is cleaned up at launch though I have no doubts that it can only get better with the way they've been on top of the updates. About how long did it take you to get used to the UI set up? Did you manage to figure out all the chat tricks?

You wanted my time, so I played you. You wanted my money, I forked it over. You wanted my soul, I gave it willingly. Not to complain... but when do I get my end of the deal? And no, I don't want your flippin' carrot. If you can't do that give me back my youth and keep the change. Why don't you try chasing your own damn carrot for a change? I'll gladly hold the stick.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Shh, we know it's a great game, despite not being perfect... it's just more fun to complain about it.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

How am I supposed to troll about a positive review?!

*fumes*

EDIT: Oh wait! I can say "You're wrong nah nah boo boo *farty noises*"

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Oh boy, here comes the trolls to rip you a new one OP. They wont be happy at all that you enjoy ffxiv and they will try their best to draw you into their miserable existance because they dont have a game to enjoy, or look forward to.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

it's a decent bit of code that is not yet worth 50-70 bucks of my money yet.  Can't jump or use a hardware mouse... come on Square... get the basics down first.  Seriously...

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Shh, we know it's a great game, despite not being perfect... it's just more fun to complain about it.

I hate posting.  I hate complaining, and I find nothing fun or enjoyable about the celebration of a 3rd rate mmo.  I am not the least bit amused at how awful the mmo genre is in general these days.  Failure after failure after failure.  I'm not having fun yet. 

Do any of you realize how many times I've seen these same posts, trolls vs fanboys, in mmo forums?  It's nothing new.  'oh it's just beta' 'oh there will be a miracle patch' 'oh you are just a wowbie who can't handle a real mmo'.  It's so old and tired and pitiful.  In two months this forum will be dead, killed off by the realization that ffxiv is awful.  Hardly anyone on this forum will remain playing after six months.

Originally posted by Terikan3

I hate posting.  I hate complaining, and I find nothing fun or enjoyable about the celebration of a 3rd rate mmo.  I am not the least bit amused at how awful the mmo genre is in general these days.  Failure after failure after failure.  I'm not having fun yet. 

Do any of you realize how many times I've seen these same posts, trolls vs fanboys, in mmo forums?  It's nothing new.  'oh it's just beta' 'oh there will be a miracle patch' 'oh you are just a wowbie who can't handle a real mmo'.  It's so old and tired and pitiful.  In two months this forum will be dead, killed off by the realization that ffxiv is awful.  Hardly anyone on this forum will remain playing after six months.

I really respect your opinon here.  I played TR and loved it.  I played SWG and loved it.  Problems are problems but a game is either fun or it isn't.  FFXIV is not fun, it's a time sink for no-lifers.  Flame all you want but I want to play something with FFXIV's graphics and the gameplay of wow or another major MMO that did well.

Since you know the future, can you please PM me the winning lottory numbers for tonight?

Originally posted by toddze

Since you know the future, can you please PM me the winning lottory numbers for tonight?

You seriously didn't post just to make yourself feel better did you? wow...

Yoda has some advice for you.

Such a wise puppet *sniffle*.

Originally posted by HardwareGuy

You seriously didn't post just to make yourself feel better did you? wow...

Why are you still here exactly? Oh ya you already admitted that you want another wow clone with FFXIV style graphics. Ill help you out bud, its called TERA.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/477/TERA.html

Good luck.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Right.  Fear.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

So much for not biting...

I've realized that FF fans are incapable of leaving trollbait alone.

p.s. FFXIV is terrible

Right.  Fear.

Exactly.  Let me break it down for you:

1. After seeing MMORPG after MMORPG fail - if not necessarily financially in a case, then fail to entertain you - you've come to fear it's going to happen again.

2. This makes you angry.

3. Consequentally, you have decided to start hating any MMORPG that fails to entertain you right off.

4. Ergo, you are bringing suffering to those of us who can enjoy the game by raising a ruckus over how you can't enjoy it.

Listen, I've been playing games for over 26 years.  Like it or not, Final Fantasy XIV is a keeper.  It's not going to be as successful as World of Warfcraft... but then, nobody else has even come close.  It's going to get a few hundred thousand players, if it topped a million I would be surprised.  However, that's pretty common even for big named MMORPGs, and those few hundred thousand players are going to have a great time   Anyone who doesn't feel like Final Fantasy XIV do that for them, kick back, relax, your ship will come in sooner or later.

Originally posted by Zookz1

p.s. FFXIV is terrible

You only have to deal with us for a few more days then we will be gone. We will be enjoying a game while you guys can sit here in your own self pity continuing to troll a game you have no intention on playing. GJ. Ill come back during sever downtime to laugh at you guys some more.

p.s. FFXIV is terrible

You only have to deal with us for a few more days then we will be gone. We will be enjoying a game while you guys can sit here in your own self pity continuing to troll a game you have no intention on playing. GJ. Ill come back during sever downtime to laugh at you guys some more.

edit: If you can't stand the trolling why don't you post on a site like BGLS or Core? Why subject yourself to it? By the way, I don't recall ever saying I hated FFXIV and wish the fans would go DIAF. There's still a good chance I'll play, just not in the first few months... or until they iron out the issues I personally have with the game. I played XI for five years -- nostalgia is calling me back. So quit being such a miserable prat.

p.s. FFXIV is terrible

edit: If you can't stand the trolling why don't you post on a site like BGLS or Core? Why subject yourself to it? By the way, I don't recall ever saying I hated FFXIV and wish the fans would go DIAF. There's still a good chance I'll play, just not in the first few months... or until they iron out the issues I personally have with the game. I played XI for five years -- nostalgia is calling me back. So quit getting so defensive.

Well I havnt got the PM for the numbers yet, when I do ill be more than happy to share, becuse i cant possible spend 50Million.

We have played OB we know we like FFXIV so thats not predicting anything, and I personally dont like fan sites.

btw whats DIAF, the terms that these wow kids make up are a never ending task to learn them all, and just when you think you know them all you guys come up with new stuff. image

p.s. FFXIV is terrible

edit: If you can't stand the trolling why don't you post on a site like BGLS or Core? Why subject yourself to it? By the way, I don't recall ever saying I hated FFXIV and wish the fans would go DIAF. There's still a good chance I'll play, just not in the first few months... or until they iron out the issues I personally have with the game. I played XI for five years -- nostalgia is calling me back. So quit getting so defensive.

Well I havnt got the PM for the numbers yet, when I do ill be more than happy to share, becuse i cant possible spend 50Million.

We have played OB we know we like FFXIV so thats not predicting anything, and I personally dont like fan sites.

btw whats DIAF, the terms that these wow kids make up are a never ending task to learn them all, and just when you think you know them all you guys come up with new stuff. image

Let me know. I could use a few million in the bank.

You don't like fan sites. Instead you prefer to post on a forum where the haters gonna hate and then complain about it. Mind blown.

By the way, what's btw? The terms these super-awesome non-WoW players make up are a never ending task to learn.

• StuckovStuckov Member UncommonPosts: 101

p.s. FFXIV is terrible

Let me know. I could use a few million in the bank.

You don't like fan sites. Instead you prefer to post on a forum where the haters gonna hate and then complain about it. Mind blown.

By the way, what's btw? The terms these super-awesome non-WoW players make up are a never ending task to learn.

If I were not looking closely to your names I dont think i could distinguish one from the other by just reading your posts. They follow the same pattern and grammar. You sure u guys are not the same person arguing with himself using 2 different accounts?

• saddragon69saddragon69 Member Posts: 81

can not wait for the 22nd ..

• navyalcnavyalc Member Posts: 32

I liked your post OP. I'm glad you enjoy FFXIV. I just preordered yesterday despite some friends telling me not to bother, mostly because it's a pve game. I enjoyed it way too much though despite there not being pvp, and most likely not great pvp later on either. I fully understand why FFXIV has so many haters. They may not be angry, but they get to be opinionated about a subject they are comfortable with(MMORPGs). Both sides take it too far at times but in the end it doesn't matter. No one is right or wrong. It only matters if enough people enjoy it the way we do to keep it going.

I've enjoyed a few games that have ended up failing SWG, and TR included. Hopefully this won't be one of them. This game feels very solid though. I can run it max settings and only feel a bit of slowness on the UI. Can't wait to see what is in store for this title down the road.

Originally posted by Stuckov

If I were not looking closely to your names I dont think i could distinguish one from the other by just reading your posts. They follow the same pattern and grammar. You sure u guys are not the same person arguing with himself using 2 different accounts?

haha i do not have to make an alt account to argue with someone, on this board. Theres a large influx of people to do that with. I use to watch my grammer and spelling but after a while it just got old, and rather pointless.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Actually I considered myself a fanboi of the FF series; I own them all except the MMOs. Yes, even X-2, which I even on some level enjoyed despite the opinion of almost everyone else (grinding the dress spheres kinda sucked though).

I still think ff14 is the lamest piece of crap out there. I really, really expected more from such a huge IP. They clearly have the money and the talent for something much grander than what amounts to a face-lifted ditto of every other game out there. The worst part is that on top of lack of originality, the battles aren't even fun. They just these slow toil away moments of 'can we get on with it already?'-ness

All games are a waste of time if you think about it. You are in fact wasting time by playing something that's in no way productive. However, I've never actually ~felt~ like I was wasting my time as much as I did while playing in the ff14 Beta. Players should be more aware of how much better spent the hours they spend on video games could be, and decide if the game they're playing is really worthy of that investment. You'll never get that time back, after all.

Mind you I'm still a gamer through and through and will continue wasting hours of my life in front of a video game. I'm just going to pick a better one.

If this is your bag then stick with it. I thought APB was lame as well, but I still feel bad that it went down because I know people that enjoyed it, and it seems a shame for all the work and effort that went into it is now wasted. I personally, have never been more uninterested in a final fantasy game.

Sad, really. Like watching your favorite character in a movie crash and burn.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Actually I considered myself a fanboi of the FF series; I own them all except the MMOs. Yes, even X-2, which I even on some level enjoyed despite the opinion of almost everyone else (grinding the dress spheres kinda sucked though).

I still think ff14 is the lamest piece of crap out there. I really, really expected more from such a huge IP. They clearly have the money and the talent for something much grander than what amounts to a face-lifted ditto of every other game out there. The worst part is that on top of lack of originality, the battles aren't even fun. They just these slow toil away moments of 'can we get on with it already?'-ness

All games are a waste of time if you think about it. You are in fact wasting time by playing something that's in no way productive. However, I've never actually ~felt~ like I was wasting my time as much as I did while playing in the ff14 Beta. Players should be more aware of how much better spent the hours they spend on video games could be, and decide if the game they're playing is really worthy of that investment. You'll never get that time back, after all.

Yeah, we get a lot of these, too: "I'm a big Final Fantasy Fan, but I hate MMORPGs, but nonetheless I expected to like a Final Fantasy MMORPG, and really let down because it played like an MMORPG!" (Followed by, in more extreme cases, claims of burning various Square-Enix merchandise.)

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that there's significant technical overhead involved in making something a massively multiplayer experience that wil make the game play signifcantly differently, which can be a bit of a slap in the face for Final Fantasy fans who don't like MMOs. 

It's kind of misleading they spin it as part of the same series, really.  Should make it more of a spin-off title, e.g. ":Crystal Chronicles" and not "XIV."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Mind you I'm still a gamer through and through and will continue wasting hours of my life in front of a video game. I'm just going to pick a better one.

If this is your bag then stick with it. I thought APB was lame as well, but I still feel bad that it went down because I know people that enjoyed it, and it seems a shame for all the work and effort that went into it is now wasted. I personally, have never been more uninterested in a final fantasy game.

Sad, really. Like watching your favorite character in a movie crash and burn.

And the self centered attitude continues. " I dont like this game therefore no one else will like it"