Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you imagine Eve + Joystick control!

Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

***Disclaimer***

Not like it's ever going to happen, but one can dream!

***Disclaimer***

To me, this would be the ultimate addition to an already near perfect gaming experience. It beats the hell outta walking around on a space station!

Just think, working to get on an opponents six and blasting away with your rails. Trying to lock target for a fof missle, then he deploys counter-measures... real wingman usages... etc!

*sigh*

Back to reality... click... click...

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

There is a mod that alows you to fly with a joystick.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by lugal

EVE doesn't have mods, but nice try.

I probably wouldn't play if you had to fly with a joystick, honestly. I always thought it would be cool to have smart fighters on carriers and allow players to fly the drones around manually. 

Originally posted by TheHatter

I probably wouldn't play if you had to fly with a joystick, honestly. I always thought it would be cool to have smart fighters on carriers and allow players to fly the drones around manually. 

http://www.eve-search.com/thread/1047881

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

I'm not talking about flying all the time with a joystick. Something like a [click here for manual control] type of thing. It is truely just a fantasy since what am thinking would require a complete re-work of the tageting mechanics, ie all offensive weapons would only work in a forward firing arch.

Basically a combat flight sim, in space... with laser-beams, and ninjas!

No....... that's just joystick emulation. If I was going to do something like that, I would just use XPadder. 

A Mod, would be changing the game itself to allow for joystick control. Not turning joystick actions into keystrokes via external programs. 

No....... that's just joystick emulation. If I was going to do something like that, I would just use XPadder. 

A Mod, would be changing the game itself to allow for joystick control. Not turning joystick actions into keystrokes via external programs. 

Symantics, but whatever.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• oshi45oshi45 Member Posts: 42

Sorry,    EVE's PVP success is around predictable player movement.    Orbits,  destinations ect.   If you give players a ability to adjust movement with a joystick and you will see network packets from 400 v 400 go from high and laggy to  not possible.      Sorry to ruin the dream but there is a reason MMO's wish to stay with zones or instances,  its to restrict a number of people for a enjoyable experience.     Somehow  CCP found a wonderful balance in the network and has thrived on it since.   

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

^ That makes me sad. Is there any hope for massive multiplayer sized space battles in this universe?

Originally posted by mmoguy43

^ That makes me sad. Is there any hope for massive multiplayer sized space battles in this universe?

There are battles almost every day in EVE bigger than anything I've seen or heard of before and I can participate in at least one a week, and I'm a semi-casual player.

If 800 (my largest) people battling it out isn't massive multiplayer, I don't know what it.  

Symantics, but whatever.

Not really, there is a pretty big difference. If you can't see the difference between turning a joystick into a keyboard and native joystick support, then there is something wrong.  

But whatever. 

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I can immagine it but if you want to see cruisers doing dogfights - think again.

Most eve ships are huge there is a youtube video where someone using the harrys mod tool for Half life 2 where he accuratly creates scale models of eve ships.

Lets just say its too big to see it all.

Fighters and frigates for twitch combat.

Cruisers fast but not as manouverable.

everything else slow and ponderouse.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

If CCP continuously develop Dust like they do EVE then it will likely eventually get some kind of joystick-controlled flight. But the ships in EVE are big. Even a "tiny" T1 frigate like a Rifter is the size of a Jumbo Jet.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

I think EVE could handle both control systems, clearly larger ships could and should only be controlled the way they are now, AI and mouse clicks, orbits etc.

However, if you then give pilots the chance to fly fighters, bombers, intercepters, small fast moving joystick controlled twitch craft, now that would be something.

Imagine this, your corp jumps into a system for a battle, your corps fleet is 200 mixed heavy capital class ships, destroyers battleships and carriers etc, all with their mighty guns, once you exit hyper space, your carriers then launch a further 100 small fighters which are stick controlled.

Your massive ships move in and attack, and your small fighters offer support, dog fighting enemy attacking fighters, and shooting down enemy attack drones, you get the upper hand and then send your small fighters in to attack your enemy, the fighters can kill the capital ships their size is to vast, but they can take out their guns and cause their guns to either totally shut down, or miss fire giving your fleets big ships the opertunity to take them down.

That would be a good way for both systems to work along side each other. I agree though it will probably never happen, but then again, given EvE's age, and the way it continues to evolve, give it another 5 years, and you never know what they might come up with.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Dvalon

I think EVE could handle both control systems, clearly larger ships could and should only be controlled the way they are now, AI and mouse clicks, orbits etc.

However, if you then give pilots the chance to fly fighters, bombers, intercepters, small fast moving joystick controlled twitch craft, now that would be something.

Imagine this, your corp jumps into a system for a battle, your corps fleet is 200 mixed heavy capital class ships, destroyers battleships and carriers etc, all with their mighty guns, once you exit hyper space, your carriers then launch a further 100 small fighters which are stick controlled.

Your massive ships move in and attack, and your small fighters offer support, dog fighting enemy attacking fighters, and shooting down enemy attack drones, you get the upper hand and then send your small fighters in to attack your enemy, the fighters can kill the capital ships their size is to vast, but they can take out their guns and cause their guns to either totally shut down, or miss fire giving your fleets big ships the opertunity to take them down.

That would be a good way for both systems to work along side each other. I agree though it will probably never happen, but then again, given EvE's age, and the way it continues to evolve, give it another 5 years, and you never know what they might come up with.

Kind of like a star wars version of space battle.

Sounds fun as hell to me.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I can feel the extra lag coming on all ready.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Scrap DUST 514, Incarna, etc.

Develop a console flight sim to give players a chance to pilot fighters.

Fix EVE.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

Fighters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would love this, drones and fighters fighting it out. Then comes a bomber along to destroy a frigate and the only things to stop it is fighters and drones. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! I want to control the carriers tough:)