Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the beloved sandbox!!

for so far i've read threads in this forum, almost evry single person loves a sandbox game. looks like this is the mos beloved morpg style atm.

but is it realy that great?

it is an awesome idea, that you can shape and reshape the world as you want to.

develop your community to the strongest faction

etc

but you can also ruin your economy

lead your faction straight to hell

and so on

since not evry1 has got the same goal in a sandbox game, it could end up in a disaster or in heaven

so is a sandbox game realy the best genre? and if so is it realy the ost beloved style?

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Why is almost every poll like this about an awkwardly described subject and also missing about half of the options it should have? 

• mayebussamayebussa Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Jimmac

Why is almost every poll like this about an awkwardly described subject and also missing about half of the options it should have? 

ok sorry for that, but when you give all options, the poll is about 100 answers long, who will take the time to read em all and answer?

and did i missed any important ones?

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Indeed, I think it's because the posters feel the poll box gives their thread an authoritative air /shrug.

@ OP, if you go by player numbers alone, most mmo players prefer themeparks. The rest of us are left to play niche sandbox games and reminisce about the past. Sad but true.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

The problem is that you're asking two different questions in one poll, and each question can both yield an individual answer not mutually exclusive of the answer from the other question. I'm assuming "most beloved" means a plurality of mmo gamers favorite type of mmo is a sandbox. I'm not sure many people could know this. The other question is which one is the best. This is highly subjective. Mixing factual and subjective answers is awkward, and the answer combination like you said is really high. The results won't mean much. 

It might be better to ask yourself why this information matters to you, and what are you *really* trying to figure out here, then make a simple poll asking about that. 

• mayebussamayebussa Member Posts: 19

The problem is that you're asking two different questions in one poll, and each question can both yield an individual answer not mutually exclusive of the answer from the other question. I'm assuming "most beloved" means a plurality of mmo gamers favorite type of mmo is a sandbox. I'm not sure many people could know this. The other question is which one is the best. This is highly subjective. Mixing factual and subjective answers is awkward, and the answer combination like you said is really high. The results won't mean much. 

It might be better to ask yourself why this information matters to you, and what are you *really* trying to figure out here, then make a simple poll asking about that. 

ok, thx for the advice, but can't realy find atm if i can still change the poll maybe here a new 1....

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

because its not a sandbox.

Originally posted by aleos

because its not a sandbox.

Haha. 

Oh and the new poll is great. I voted best. It's best when it's at its best, and boring when at its worst. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I love sandbox games, unfortunaly and known as a fact I am a niche gamer when it comes to my needs/wants from a MMORPG that is totally different from the majority that play's this genre these day's.

Sandbox games leave things up to the imagination of it's player base and most sandbox games or atleast those with many sandbox feature's have proven that the majority is more into the handhold parts of this genre. Else World of Warcraft would never have become as big as it is. Not saying WoW is a bad game, but it's totally different then how I thought this genre would evolve into.

• WumiWumi Member UncommonPosts: 85

Originally posted by Reklaw

I love sandbox games, unfortunaly and known as a fact I am a niche gamer when it comes to my needs/wants from a MMORPG that is totally different from the majority that play's this genre these day's.

Sandbox games leave things up to the imagination of it's player base and most sandbox games or atleast those with many sandbox feature's have proven that the majority is more into the handhold parts of this genre. Else World of Warcraft would never have become as big as it is. Not saying WoW is a bad game, but it's totally different then how I thought this genre would evolve into.

played WoW cuz the lack of better

Wumi - SWG - Bloodfin - Cancelled
    Wumi - WoW - Eu-Kazzak - Cancelled
    Bulldozer - Aion - Eu-Kahrun - Cancelled
    Wumi - Rift - EU-Riptalon - Cancelled

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

Sandboxes ideally make the best games. However, there has yet to be a decent sandbox made yet unfortunately. A select few were okay but plagued with bugs that ruined it for most people.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

People vote with their wallets.

I wonder which MMORPG made the most money...

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by Karmakazi

Sandboxes ideally make the best games. However, there has yet to be a decent sandbox made yet unfortunately. A select few were okay but plagued with bugs that ruined it for most people.

I'm pretty sure EVE Online has over 250,000 subscribers? 40,000 concurrent on average?

• DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326

Try playing either Vanguard or Ryzom. Both are fantastic sand box games.

Ryzom has a 21 free day trial. Vanguard has a 14 day trial.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

EvE online is very succsessfull its pretty much king among sandboxes here as it has 360'000 subs and its population has always gone up not up then DDDOOOWWNN like most other MMO's.

It helps that its a sci-fi sandbox so no real competition in its nich.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

EvE online is very succsessfull its pretty much king among sandboxes here as it has 360'000 subs and its population has always gone up not up then DDDOOOWWNN like most other MMO's.

It helps that its a sci-fi sandbox so no real competition in its nich.

Right, it's been out for 6 years though, they've had time to make improvements and like you said, it's the only game out there like it. .so they're not exactly competing against anyone either.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971

There can be balance between theme park and sandbox. You can put a theme park in a sandbox after all. Imagine a MMO which has a central hub of cities, they are your themepark, but the wilderness and small towns around them, they are your sandbox. It would cost a fortune, but it could be done.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by luciusETRUR

I'm pretty sure EVE Online has over 250,000 subscribers? 40,000 concurrent on average?

Number of subscribers is open to interpretation, but number of subscriptions passed 360k earlier this year.

Give me liberty or give me lasers