Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Shortest Lived MMOs: Revisited

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Ghostflame

I miss Tabula Rasa. Is there no way to play it now? No secret, private server somewhere? They should just make it ftp with an item shop...

I seriously doubt it. It wasn't nearly popular enough for people to data mine it.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • lordessedesslordessedess Member Posts: 56

Tabula Rasa impressed the hell out of me , and it shouldn't have been cancelled if it wasnt going the way they wanted NC should have done something about it instead of abandoning it.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by golf

Earth and Beyond lives, you can play it any time. just just to http://www.enb-emulator.com/ and make an account

YES!  I think Earth and Beyond should of been mentioned.  That game had a huge followiing. When they pulled the plug, many people were really upset, me one of them.  That game was fun and I never figured out why they closed it down.

I have been following the emulator, but it will never be the game it was.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

it is not really a canceled game, but i would add there original (idea of) horizons - players are themselves unlocking new content (areas, races) by their actions

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Originally posted by cyress8

WHAAATT!! Time to hound the hell of him. I still wonder to this day why in the hell they decided to close the doors while in beta. The game was freaking awesome! I loved those GM Events. I still remember when one of them interviewed me after a goblins raided the starter town. I was awed when they had quoted what I said and put it in the in-game newspaper. BRING IT BACK!!

LOL, yeah, that was almost definately me interviewing you. Half of my job was doing the in-game newspaper. Amusing.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• uPuppetuPuppet Member Posts: 7

what about infinity lol !

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Wow did APB ever go out with a whimper, the first mention I saw of it officially closing was from this article and after wards googled it to find maybe one story regarding it.  What's really crazy is games like this while a vast majority of the comments I've heard have said the game is lacking I haven't heard too many people claim to hate the game unlike turds like STO.  Let's hope they can make this list (though I doubt it).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• TelonTelon Member Posts: 81

I believe #1 should be Carpe Diem, from launch to cancellation was like a month or so.  Not only did it not last long but the whole company closed it's doors the same day.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

I really love Seed, the short time it existed  - unfortunately it was too unstable to enjoy. Would love to see this game come back as free to play.

And I don't agree that missing combat alone was the reason for its failure - ATID works just fine without?

imageimage

• deceasedecease Member UncommonPosts: 51

lol been waiting for years for fury to come out.. then it was p2p... when they launch at f2p model.. i notice that my system could not run it T_T...well still can't =P

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Wraithone

Well... Considering that NCsoft has now axed *four* games (all of them from western developers) I'd say thats a pretty obvious pattern. I also note that Linage2  has had server merges.  Any bets if it had been western, that NCsoft would have added it to their list of axed games?

Its too bad about APB. I always hate to see a game fail, but they never really found the audience they had intended the game for.  Given all of the time, talent and money these games cost, its too bad that such things happen, but the MMO market tends to be brutal these days.

Lineage 2 only remains in NA because they can afford to take a loss on it.   It still has over 5 million active clients in South East Asia.  As to the rest, it's called national pride, which this country lost after WWII.  When a nation of individuals backs a publisher, simply because they originate from the same nation, how can other companies compete.  The other side of that coin in that said publisher is obviously going to axe game titles that don't originate from developers from their country.  However, NCSoft USA still has a large fan base due to Silicon Valley based Cryptic Studios with their CoV/CoH and Guild Wars Lines.  Cryptic however seems to be looking around for a different publisher, i.e. Star Trek Online going to Atari.

• viperincviperinc Member Posts: 3

HaHa I read through the post to see so many flaming APB (must be the ones that die constantly) So funny, I mean really. If you want to know heres from a person that started off in the beta +PTW+release......you make a incredible game like APB even with its content flaws (expected on new game release). APB was released to early number 1,  number 2 a system that made it possible to pay to play with in-game points.....(ok really my game was paid til Dec. 2020 only paid cash for game itself) so they made no money there. And number 3 was the lack of hacker protection...punkbuster + unreal engine = HACKER DELIGHT....so lets add it all up gliches=people leave but adds lack of  funds....pay methods= I can sell ingame items for point toward game time (1 gun can pay for a month) do i need to say it = lose funds there   Oh and the all time killer hackers take the fun out of games so with aimbots from beta phase on through to release people who dont use the hacks will leave....HOLY CRAP more money that will never be made..............So why did APB end? Oh yeah they ran out of money pretty simple..........Sucks they are gone I really enjoyed shooting people in the face ! Guess I go play a NCSoft game now and wait for a revival or private server .

GAM3OV3R

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Aramath

Originally posted by Wraithone

Well... Considering that NCsoft has now axed *four* games (all of them from western developers) I'd say thats a pretty obvious pattern. I also note that Linage2  has had server merges.  Any bets if it had been western, that NCsoft would have added it to their list of axed games?

Its too bad about APB. I always hate to see a game fail, but they never really found the audience they had intended the game for.  Given all of the time, talent and money these games cost, its too bad that such things happen, but the MMO market tends to be brutal these days.

Lineage 2 only remains in NA because they can afford to take a loss on it.   It still has over 5 million active clients in South East Asia.  As to the rest, it's called national pride, which this country lost after WWII.  When a nation of individuals backs a publisher, simply because they originate from the same nation, how can other companies compete.  The other side of that coin in that said publisher is obviously going to axe game titles that don't originate from developers from their country.  However, NCSoft USA still has a large fan base due to Silicon Valley based Cryptic Studios with their CoV/CoH and Guild Wars Lines.  Cryptic however seems to be looking around for a different publisher, i.e. Star Trek Online going to Atari.

Well, nationalism is simply another expression of tribalism, and we've seen from history what that gets us.  Any way, given NCsofts past record, if I was a western Dev' I'd avoid them like the plague.  I entirely understand Cryptic wanting to bail on them.  Given the general reaction to STO, they must be really worried.  Actually, I'm quite looking forewards to GuildWars2, as it looks like fun, and I plan to give it a try.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

How about adding the total cost of the associated games ? 

Cuz Fury, Seed and the like died early but didn't cost much, compared to the 50 MILLIONS that APB ate from its Investors ! Man i'd be pissed if i had put my monies on RTW, they are worse than subprimes.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I heard rumor that Epic Games might buy APB so I doubt APB is dead forever.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

To be honest this whole APB incident will make me want to be very careful around any of the indie developers or even some of the bigger developers who I personally don't have a lot of faith in. 90 days and out for an MMO is basically a money grab and then jumping ship imho. Almost like they knew it was going to fail so they put it out got as much as they could in the shortest amount of time and then when sales seemed to drop off they canned it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Simsu

To be honest this whole APB incident will make me want to be very careful around any of the indie developers or even some of the bigger developers who I personally don't have a lot of faith in. 90 days and out for an MMO is basically a money grab and then jumping ship imho. Almost like they knew it was going to fail so they put it out got as much as they could in the shortest amount of time and then when sales seemed to drop off they canned it.

You should always be careful around MMOs. Surprisingly many suck and releases way too early.

Wait a month after release and read the forums (ignore the worst fanbois and haters, the one between are usually pretty honest).

APB had some things right but they missed to make a game that is fun for month, and without that they just can't keep any subs.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Loke666

You should always be careful around MMOs. Surprisingly many suck and releases way too early.

Wait a month after release and read the forums (ignore the worst fanbois and haters, the one between are usually pretty honest).

APB had some things right but they missed to make a game that is fun for month, and without that they just can't keep any subs.

Oh, no. I meant even more wary than normal, lol. Like I'm not gonna touch anything from the people described for atleast like 90 days.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

So where's my F'n refund for a game tha barely lasted... what a waste.  I bet anyone that bought it last week is REALLY pissed.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

Fury was such a great game... the people who say otherwise either couldn't run it, didn't understand the core game mechanics, or got their ass handed to them over and over again.

The 4v4 Arena was so intense and at the top level playing against the best of the best everyone on the team had to do their job and do it perfectly. If you lost because your oponents found a new strategy you would have to go back and find a counter which would eventually lead to them adjusting to you. What a shame, I built some long lasting friendships through that game probably the golden age of my PVP gaming days.

Then I went from Fury to WAR, where in Fury you had to build your "Charges" via "+" Charge skills and dump em with "-" Charge skills you really were never left without an ability or action to cast/do. Then I went into Warhammer where its just spam spam spam ok out of power... what do I do now???? Runaway??? Was totally fail and pathetic.

Also who the hell would predict APB would close down meanwhile Crime Craft is still up and running... talk about some twilight zone sh!t right there.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I really miss APB. It's a shame it's gone. It was unique and before its time. I hope it doesn't keep people from making another MMORPG like it in the future. The Customization in APB was truly worthy of an subscription all by itself.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Nightdragon8Nightdragon8 Member Posts: 53

I liked APB, granted it had alot of fualts... the major fualt was "upgrades" that while they said didn't effect combat too much really did effect combat alot.

the 4 major lvl 3 upgrades where these.

Charcter mods

Monolith 3 15% more health

(forget the name) 3 Resitance (i think) 7% less damage

Gun mods

Savage 3 (I think I know it was the same % as the resitance mod) 7% more damage

Spray'n pray 3 I think 15% rate of fire

then it was an option of what other gun mod ot have if you wanted to pay the million for a 3 slot gun.

now you will say wow those are low %'s but in that game it gave you enough of an advantage to kill people generally no problem....

Now the aimbotting was an issue but not a major one.

The only major issue was that after you max your contacts it was like what do i do now?? There was no real end game to it... if you where an artisy person you could then use all the art stuff in game to make what you want... I mean there where some great Icons in that game from anime chr's. But after all that sure you could still go around do the same quests over and over again to the point where your eyes would bleed to get the cash for the 'best' car but for the car upgrades like the nitrious honestly it sucked... sure it was a tiny bit faster for 20 seconds but that was it..

What killed the car scene was the fact that the PIT manvour really had no effect... It just made the car turn around so they could take off the other way. Also while I'm talking about cars, the car physics where questionable... there where plenty of times where a car would be going head on with eachother and 1 car would go flying in the air. And the SUV had the worest physics of them all it was more like a normal car, before it was more like a carboard box going around. Plus there was no real pushing power like you would think it would have.

The major killer of the game was the quests that where the same all the time... and when you had to deliver a "large item" it was pretty much hopeless in big group battles.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Looking at this list you might be fooled into thinking that every F2P that launched was a success, but that’s hardly the case. We yet again only get articles on P2P folding.

To me what is more of a concern than the MMO’s themselves is what we lose in terms of the ideas and coding that went into them. So many good ideas exist in successful MMO’s that never get passed down the line to new MMO’s. Those that were formulated in MMO’s that don’t make it have the stigmata of ‘failed MMO’ attached to them.

The proprietary nature of coding means all that work is lost to the industry. Cancellations like these take the industry back a step.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Nice article. Thanks!

I really wanted Tabula Rosa to succeed.  Great concept, but, the game just failed. Too many bugs making the game unplayable.

APB-another great concept game. Somewhere in the development of the game, it seemed to me, the developers got lost with what they wanted the game to be-and-turned it into a "shooter", which, just fails for me.

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

I don't even rememeber Seed tbh, although it sound's like a great idea, as some of you have already said. They shoudl start resurrecting some of these, f2p with item shop etc... :)