Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV, the best looking MMO game around so far?

13»

Comments

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

As many have already stated: What really matters is artdirection. Technically FF XIV is top notch: really nice Charactermodells, Animations and Equipmodells but the designs of cities and landscapes are extremely bland and boring. I mean, Desert, Forest, Highlands is all they could come up with? And massive amounts on Copy & Paste on top of it? Seriously guys, that's all pretty sub-par and you know it.

• CelerasCeleras Member UncommonPosts: 93

FFXIV is the best looking MMO ever, by a very wide margin. It's not even close, and anyone who choses to say otherwise is either blind or trolling.

Originally posted by tiapheres

GW2 gfx look ugly, all the gfx in that game are just brushed up from thier old engine, they are blotchy and disguised by over used shaders and light effects. FFXIV has combined smooth model detail with amazing lighting and shadow detail, add in thier physics engine and I cannot help but be jaw dropped amazed at how fantastic a job square enix did on this game.

You gotta be kidding me. Just to be sure: You really want to say that this disconnected, wooden and static puppet-theatre of a "battle" in a barren flat landscape (and we all know the whole starting zone there looks like this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMUiJ1GVvI&feature=related

looks better to you than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JSRh1-tnoo

And don't even get me started on the mob in FF XIV being barely animated and the aggro-behaviour being totaly erratic and random.

Right... . Well i guess to each his own :D

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by goldenkey

Just to insert some facts here I played AOC and as far as Graphics go it is superior to FFXIV the main reason for this is that FFXIV used a tile set graphics style while AOC, LORTO, wow and most MMO on the market use a mesh style design. The reason for using a mesh over a tile set is the terrain does not repeat over and over. While they all copy paste trees buildings and caves over and over while you walk through the world the terrain varies as you go. Now in the developer’s defense they could not run the mesh style with that level of graphics detail on most peoples current desktops. You would have to have a bleeding edge gaming rig to run the game anything less would be unplayable.

So if they wanted to be able to run the game on anything other than bleeding edge computers they had to make some compromises and that means using a tile set graphics design. This style of design loads less information into memory than the mesh style that’s why it's easier on the hardware. The OP is interested in good graphics and that helps his immersion into the game while that is true the people making the game can't expect their customers to all have bleeding edge computers thus the terrain repeat over and over. I for one am one of those that value game play over graphics as a result I like WOW because I feel that the game play is better for the most part.

Back to AOC for a min that game has the mesh style design with top level graphics the immersion as far is graphics go is one of the best out there but you will have to have a top end computer to play it without video lag that's for sure. The sluggishness that a lot of people experience while playing AOC can't be avoided so as a result they quit. The game's Sub numbers have lagged as a result while this is only one reason AOC has had trouble it is a big part of the problem which I would guess FFXIV is trying to avoid.

In another post I remarked upon how I thought AoC's graphics still the best in the genre (Khitai looks absolutely stunning on DX10 settings), but what I've seen so far from FFXIV, it's a close second, no other MMORPG comes close to these two in detail level, texture and polygon count - except Aion but purely the character graphics.

I can see why their companies went for cartoony or 'stylised' with WoW, LotrO, SW:TOR - even a GW2. It's the reason why MMORPG's will always be a step and more behind the graphics of singleplayer graphics: as has been proven throughout MMO history, computers can't cope with that level of graphical detail in MMORPG's. With stylised graphics and thus lower texture detail and polygon count you risk less the chance of people running up against resource bottlenecks, whether it's the CPU, the graphics card, the available memory, the hard disk speed or something else.

Best proof is AoC: sure, it's the number 1 currently regarding graphics, but it comes at a price. AoC is heavily instanced to be able to show its graphics.

And you have to do some tweaking sometimes to get it to keep running it smoothly when in massive PvP or other graphics intensive situations.

FFXIV that comes in my eyes very close to AoC's graphical quality, uses other techniques like tilesets (included with mesh modeling?), but with these they managed to go further than FC with AoC, namely to deliver the highly detailed graphics but also the seamless transitioning that you usually only see in lower-level graphical, stylised MMORPG's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

FFXIV is probably the best looking MMO atm, or at least a very close second to AoC. However, that seems to be the bulk of what the game has to offer atm.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

WoW graphics put FFIV to shame.

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

GW2 gfx look ugly, all the gfx in that game are just brushed up from thier old engine, they are blotchy and disguised by over used shaders and light effects. FFXIV has combined smooth model detail with amazing lighting and shadow detail, add in thier physics engine and I cannot help but be jaw dropped amazed at how fantastic a job square enix did on this game.

You gotta be kidding me. Just to be sure: You really want to say that this disconnected and static marionette-theatre of a "battle" in a barren flat landscape (and we all know the whole starting zone there looks like this):

(snips)

We're talking graphical quality here, not other gameplay aspects.

Anyone who has followed the GW2 blogs and Q&A interviews knows that ANet went purposely for lower-polygon count, stylised graphics for GW2, not the high end of what's possible in MMO's. Even though I personally like the graphical style in GW and in GW2 and I think ANet has one of the best art design teams around in the MMO business, there's no doubt that their graphics aren't as high in texture detail and polygon count as AoC's and FFXIV's, which is most noticeable in their characters design - Aion, AoC and what it looks like FFXIV are definitely better in that department.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by cyphers

You gotta be kidding me. Just to be sure: You really want to say that this disconnected and static marionette-theatre of a "battle" in a barren flat landscape (and we all know the whole starting zone there looks like this):

(snips)

Anyone who has followed the GW2 blogs and Q&A interviews knows that ANet went purposely for lower-polygon count, stylised graphics for GW2, not the high end of what's possible in MMO's. Even though I personally like the graphical style in GW and in GW2 and I think ANet has one of the best art design teams around in the MMO business, there's no doubt that their graphics aren't as high in texture detail and polygon count as AoC's and FFXIV's, which is most noticeable in their characters design - Aion, AoC and what it looks like FFXIV are definitely better in that department.

Honestly, this argument happened with WoW vs EQ2 back in the day.

All the EQ2 Fanbois: I want my character to look as real as possible. I hate cartoony graphics.

All the WoW fanbois: Graphics look fine to me, and this game fucking rocks.

And in the end, after I played both games, I chose the one that ran smooth on my machine and had better overall gameplay. So while FFIV may have some more "realistic" looking graphics, it may have come at the cost of some other very important aspects of the game like gameplay, systems and usability.

This is true but "graphical quality" is not only (and i would argue not even foremost) about shaders and polycounts. When one compares the two films i posted, which one looks asthetically better? I think that there's no real argument about that. FF XIV has higher polycounts and perhaps even more complex lighting but that all amounts to nothing if the battle doesn't look fun and meaty and the chars run around and look as they have some kind of physical or perceptional handycap. Same goes for enviroments. The one in FF XIV look bland and boring regardless of polycount. GW2 achieves much more dramatic and diverse landscapes with an engine that runs better than FF XIV. The overall look and feel is heavily affected by such elements and in the end FF XIV looks barren and dated compared to GW2 while at the same time it has the more powerful graphics-engine, which makes the shame even greater.

In the end no one cares which game has the best graphics engine, when the artdirection fails to impress. Just look at the first 1:30 minutes which show the cities of GW 2:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/manifesto-diary-guild-wars-2/702659

and compare it with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qm4HJyzGBo

FF XIV may have the better egine and more graphical prowess but it really doesn't show.

This is true but "graphical quality" is not only (and i would argue not even foremost) about shaders and polycounts. When one compares the two films i posted, which one looks asthetically better? I think that there's no real argument about that. FF XIV has higher polycounts and perhaps even more complex lighting but that all amounts to nothing if the battle doesn't look fun and meaty and the chars run around and look as they have some kind of physical or perceptional handycap. Same goes for enviroments. The one in FF XIV look bland and boring regardless of polycount. GW2 achieves much more dramatic and diverse landscapes with an engine that runs better than FF XIV. The overall look and feel is heavily affected by such elements and in the end FF XIV looks barren and dated compared to GW2 while at the same time it has the more powerful graphics-engine, which makes the shame even greater.

Let's face it, GW2 will make the environments and gameplay of ALL MMORPG's look bland and boring when it comes out, even some of the other upcoming MMO's.

But it isn't out yet, and of all the MMO's out at the moment, AoC and FFXIV simply have the best graphics out there. Although, I admit, that's also a matter of personal preference: if you don't like the graphics style of a FFXIV or AoC, then sure, it isn't something you'll like. I mean, there are also people who find that WoW's graphics are the best looking of any MMO's around.

Personally, I thought AoC's graphics style helped to boost immersion and I had a great time playing it . But then again, when it comes to graphics I prefer better looking and higher detail than cartoony graphics; when EQ2, WoW and GW came out, I played GW most that first year, it had the best graphics and great gameplay.

• UldahUldah Member Posts: 162

We get it , you like guild wars2 over ffxiv,

I like ffxiv over guild wars2.

Also stay on topic we speaking bout graphics not game play.On matter of fact GW its a solo PvP game, while ffis a group centered PVE game.Comparing the "gameplay" from both is plain absurd.

I will be playing guild wars 2 as well for my pvp ego on pc while ill get later on a copy of ffxiv for ps3 so i can play both .Win-WIN.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Graphics are very pretty, I will definitely agree.  Not really my kind cup of tea though.  I really like Guild Wars 2 "painterly" feel to it.  Their artists (a HUGE team) basically drew everything in the game.

Originally posted by Uldah

Also stay on topic we speaking bout graphics not game play.On matter of fact GW its a solo PvP game, while ffis a group centered PVE game.Comparing the "gameplay" from both is plain absurd.

I will be playing guild wars 2 as well for my pvp ego on pc while ill get later on a copy of ffxiv for ps3 so i can play both .Win-WIN.

I'm talking about graphics too, perhaps read first? And if you don't wanna hear other peoples opninions, don't post in a discussion forum and blog instead.

And you should really get some facts straight. GW was never an "Solo"-PVP-Game and GW2 will have a fully featured persistent world where group PVP will hopefully be as good as GW (best on the market) while at the same time adding what was left out before: meaty group- and solo pve content.

Bottom line for me: Just seeing litle films of GW2 makes me wanna play that game NOW, while actually playing FF XIV made me wanna quit. But as you said, to each his own.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

I wasn't impressed with the graphics tbh.  Too much of the same, too limited an environment, poor optimization.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Finally left town. And as I was one hit by a mob that did 4k dmg to me, not far from the front gate, I couldn't help noticing that the scenery was hands down the best i'd seen in an mmo. Photo-realistic  landscape

• UldahUldah Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Uldah

I'm talking about graphics too, perhaps read first? And if you don't wanna hear other peoples opninions, don't post in a discussion forum and blog instead.

And you should really get some facts straight. GW was never an "Solo"-PVP-Game and GW2 will have a fully featured persistent world where group PVP will hopefully be as good as GW (best on the market) while at the same time adding what was left out before: meaty group- and solo pve content.

Bottom line for me: Just seeing litle films of GW2 makes me wanna play that game NOW, while actually playing FF XIV made me wanna quit. But as you said, to each his own.

You realise those films called gameplay have been over staged  a lot ? of course they look awsome.Wait until open beta from guild wars 2 starts , then we can compare.

Also you call GW is not a PvP solo game based on what ? i seen all the videos and reviews of gw2 and thats the direction the game seems to be heading right now as far as im informed.Just a quote from the GW developers "Every action you take will change the world" or somethin around those lines.Add the no healer class. Add how GW 1 it was.Not sure yet ?Well idk how to put it even more clear.Having 100 people beating the same enemy without being on the same party or using specific strategies or interacting with each other AT ALL IS NOT PVE.In fact is not even grouping.

And im sure i WILL LOVE GW2 for the direction is heading ,but lets get our facts right like you say.And give each game an apreciation in the area and direction they are heading.

On topic.They both have great artist team, but is diferent.Comparing GW2 graphics to FFXIV graphics is like comparing orange to lemons.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

imho GFX mean shit.....but to stay on topic, if i have to choose between the GFX of AoC or FF......sorry guys but i think the GFX of Aoc looks just real to me i guess.

FF makes me feel like your in fairy land or something.....looks too happy for my taste....show me some grim and dark places to convince me :)