Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Untouched Potential - A plea from a gamer to save Vanguard!

Comments

• HasenoHaseno Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Broomy

With all due respect OP, put the pipe down.  No one's going to donate anything to a buggy, unfinished steaming pile AKA Vanguard.  The game was crap at launch, right out of the gate and this horrid launch was the biggest part of the game's failure.  VG simply never recovered.  I like many others here waited with bated breath for VG, loved the classes, loved the ideas, loved the potential.  The game very simply put DID NOT DELIVER on it's promises.  As a consumer I do have a right to expect a decent product, its not my fault if the developers failed to deliver.  Money doesn't grow on trees buddy, we live in a capitalist society where the best rises to the top and the worst sink.  VG Sank.  Correct:  it TANKED.  I dont have money to burn supporting a failed product.

4 Messages from Individuals already, willing to donate between $10 to $50.

I myself, can donate up to $5,000.

No one? Or is it simply just your own personal vendetta's caused by disappointment which make you want to refute such an idea?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

i can promise you SOE would NOT accept any part of such a community generated "donation". the best you could do would be to pay for a bunch of subscriptions with any money you get but SoE would still be able to see that those were dummy accounts with noone logging in.

If you could  gather enough money you could even offer to buy Vanguard from them but do YOU have the knowledge and financial backing to any better than what we have now?  I doubt it.

let it go.. its not healthy to hang on to dead things. you sound like you are at the bargaining stage of grief over vanguards stillbirth... its time to move on..

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Haseno

Dude, I'm not trying to change the entire game of Vanguard, into the best MMO in the world. It already is...

I'm simply trying to turn it's negative curve, into a positive curve. I am persistent and determined.

Blame SOE All day, with your attitude, I can see why it's a goal that will take some rather inspirational individuals.

I'm not blaming soe, I am pointing out the truth of the current situation.  Sorry if hearing the truth bothers you so much.  If anything I have said is false, then please quote it and tell me why it is wrong, but please don't try to personalize this as if my attitude is somehow the roadblock for vanguard and all it needs to achieve massive success is positive thinking.  

You walk in here on a brand new account and start astroturfing for a dieing game.  Then you start pointing your finger at everyone else as if they are the reason vanguard isn't a success as if you are the first person to ever try to help this game or keep the faith alive.  Then you label anyone who points out the reality of the situation that you want to change as being negtive of whatever other spin you like. 

You can keep all your shiny happy people crap and just answer the question.  You are asking people to follow you on some grand mission, spend their money and time on a project that is all but abandoned, but you cannot answer the simple question.  What are you going to accomplish and how are you going to accomplish it?

So pony up some answers, because what I see is a brand new person with no history asking people for money to execute a plan he will not give details for.   You may call that "motivational speaking", but I call it a scam. 

As for vanguard being the greatest mmo on the market all I have to say is this.  Great games sell themselves and don't need repeated player driven volunteer efforts to "save" them.  Again, that is a reality, not an attitude.

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

Jesus christ...has Vanguard gotten this desperate? I applaud the OP for his efforts but just like everyone else who has tried to raise VG up, only fall short because plain and simple its going to come down on SOE's shoulders. Everyone on this board has given SOE money for VG at one point or another. People here have supported this game. If you think $100,000 is enough to get SOE back on developing this game then I'd say you really are misleading yourself. From my household Vanguard has seen monthly subs for 5 accounts for 3 years, I think I've done my fair share of supporting. VG had the potential, we all know the story, we all know what happened/why it happened, its a dead horse now. Even the veterans on the boards understand that the game is "what it is". Just let it be...seeing posts like this make the game look like they already announced that they pulled the plug.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

It is probably best to put your money back into your pocket and just make a really good fan video and accept the fact that the game is only temporary and be a good guild leader while you can. I wish that I could take my GF through Vanguard but there are so many other games out there that we simply will never have the time.

I put a lot into this game. I had every type of crafter built up and was one of the first to build boats on the PVP server and had a twink in each tier that I grinded infamy for years on. The game was awesome but people could tell that it was not going anywhere because broken things would not get fixed (for example . .. starfall in PVP). I think that I kept it alive for a lot of people for a long time by just enjoying myself until low population became unbearable and it doesn't sound like your server is dead yet so you could get a lot more time out of it while you can. To log in for me would be very sad because I would have to transfer my characters to the PVE server but they all have the best gear possible for their level with thousands of infamy for nothing because there is no longer any reason to stay a certain level. I bet my account was worth so much . .. lol made me sick to my stomach the thought of someone else logging in and losing thousands of infamy in a few minutes or something though.

I moved on and went through a few games looking for something else that I could get immersed in and had a hard time at first but eventually found a good replacement. I will always remember Vanguard with fondness and feel lucky to have experienced it while it lasted.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Before the game launched my brother and I were excited to try this game, however at the time he was the only one with a system capable of running the game decently so he was the only one to buy it for release.  I vividly remember the horror of watching my brother try to play the game launch day... needless to say within hours the game was uninstalled and shelved, which is where it belong even to this day.

Was it pretty? Yes, but to me performance + gameplay always comes first and the game clearly failed in that regard.  Launching a bugged game that ran as though even the best of machines were run by hamsters in a wheel and having little to no content is the worst choice any MMO can make, like someone said... we NEVER forget.

Want to know why AoC still suffers even though it's a decent game these days? The poor launch, same applies to this game no matter what you may say.  All I know of this game these days is that there is a very small elitist player-base at max level... other than that finding groups for earlier level content is near impossible.

Wake up and smell the roses, move on from the trash game and find something new to play.

Little to no content? ROFLMAO did you even play the game?The only game i could honestly say that had more on launch was FFXI,EQ2 had a lot of quests but not nearly the game VG was.Even after many years EQ2 still has tons of bugs,imo VG's only true problem was trying to push DX9c into the DX10 category whilst most machines could not handle it ,especially in a seamless world.

Just imagine if VG had 10 million subscribers like WOW has,geesh the game would be astronomically huge and far more content than any game on the market,this of course assuming Sigil was stil lrunning it,as SOE would never allow it to surpass EQ2.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

i saw mention on the forums of some rumblings from Smed about the possibility of F2P

/popcorn

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=54451

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Sorry OP, I applaud the effort and the diligence you show to a game you love, but you only get one chance to make a first impression.

VG fell flat out the gate and has limped along for a number of years now. Many gamers look ahead and not behind. The only thing that might invigorate VG is to go F2P and advertise the crap outta the F2P model for the game. You'll have more willing to try and a number would probably stay, but it's not going to be the revival you hope for.

Good luck to you though.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Even if people give it a second chance, it is going to fail.  I have a computer that can run LOTRO on high settings, and when I tried Vanguard, it skipped every 5 seconds.  Just imagine if the game actually had players where I was.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

as of today i quit wow and went back to vanguard.....this is what i think after a fiew hours of vanguard:

The game started of with a smooth download of the client (about an hour...patches included).

The game runs damn smooth now and is still as challenging as i want it to be......try 4 dot mobs if you want a challenge ;)

3 dot mobs are fun (2 dot is too easy).

Yeah maybe alot of grinding like most mmo's these days but the crafting is still amazing (not even try'd diplomacy yet :p).

The ONLY downside this game right now is that there aint alot of people left in this community.......but those who are are realy friendly and helpfull.

the game itself is good enough....too bad noone is playing it tough :(

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

I think the OP is going a little far with his ideas. It's a game for god sakes, it's meant to be fun. I mean, take it easy there with the "Let's unite and push" non-sense. How are you going to push?? The full extent of what any one of us can actually do, is play the game and enjoy it. You can't do any more. I mean, seriously its a joke or what??

However, the game is really good now and is worth playing or trying it out again. I'm currently playing it and having an amazing time. There are no lag issues, no crashes, the game is very stable, very smooth and its extremely enjoyable. I am enjoying all spheres of the game thus far, combat/crafting/diplomacy. There's a certain feel to the game that I have not experienced since swg pre-cu. The sense of adventure takes a new meaning with this game.

The community is A+, I have literally setup a new window just for /1 chat, just to keep up with the various conversations going on. Its a really nice community. There is no talks about homo's or fags, unfortunately for the wow crowd... Sorry to disappoint yea there!

Additionally, the only issue is the amounts of players. However, the isle where you begin is swarming with new characters at any give time almost. So that's a really good thing. Players outside the isle are a little bit more scattered, which is natural since the game world is so large. However, finding groups is not hard if you use the social tabs, just as you would use the LFG tool in WOW. There are locations where they server as central hugs so to speak, there you can find a lot more people bounched up, as you would find in Dalaran. But again it's very relative, in wow, when you go quest, you do not always see people. Most people are idle'ing in Dalaran. Its the same here, while you are out in the world, you will see less people, which is normal, but once you return to the central hub spots, you are gonna see a lot of other people.

Overall the community is growing as of lately. There is something definetely going on with VG, some sort of buzz is going around and things are picking up.

You have nothing to lose at this point. I'm sure you have enough frost emblems and your gearscore is high enough that you have nothing left to do but to idle in dalaran, so pick up the free trial and come find out what the buzz is about.

You have never been so free. Guarantied you will not need emblems for your next piece of gear!

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by TribeofOne
    if it was as good as you claim you wouldnt have to beg people to play it. have a little dignitude!

and i love where you say "We failed Vanguard" lol thats classic.
    Best of Luck

We did fail vanguard, look at the entire MMO Genre as it stands. We've become so highly selective and our expectations are so high.

Look at the effort and funding put into vanguard. They didn't want it to fail! Over $30,000,000 and still under budget.

The game needed us, and if we could of roughed it. The game would be standing strong.

The game is very good, the closest thing to EQ i've ever seen. Play it yourself, before your sarcastic answers are expelled from your mouth.

Yes the game is good, perhaps one of the best.

But I will never subscribe to it.... because SOE owns it. Get them to sell it off and we'll talk.

That's why I won't sub for VG, nor for EQ2. Both MMOs I very much enjoyed in the trial. I distrust SOE so much now that I would not play any SOE MMO/game even if it was F2P originally or went F2P after release.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Vanguard was a very enjoyable game when i played it,but then people started going away.Which in turn lead  to not being able to find groups.It is the closest game to EQ,but it just isn't getting any love.Unless it goes free to play i don't think this game have much time left.

I'd hate to see that happen.I just don't see a good enough reason to pay 15$ a month to play it.I wish someone would create private Vanguard servers,and i hope Vanguard gets an emulation community.It's illegal,but it will guarantee the gave lives on.

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Gardavil2

Originally posted by TribeofOne

if it was as good as you claim you wouldnt have to beg people to play it. have a little dignitude!

and i love where you say "We failed Vanguard" lol thats classic.

Best of Luck

We did fail vanguard, look at the entire MMO Genre as it stands. We've become so highly selective and our expectations are so high.

Look at the effort and funding put into vanguard. They didn't want it to fail! Over $30,000,000 and still under budget.

The game needed us, and if we could of roughed it. The game would be standing strong.

The game is very good, the closest thing to EQ i've ever seen. Play it yourself, before your sarcastic answers are expelled from your mouth.

Yes the game is good, perhaps one of the best.

But I will never subscribe to it.... because SOE owns it. Get them to sell it off and we'll talk.

That's why I won't sub for VG, nor for EQ2. Both MMOs I very much enjoyed in the trial.

Blizzard is worse! I know about the SoE hate, and I am a also a vivid hater of them, especially John $medley the turd in charge.

However this has nothing to do with Vanguard. Actually, by some miracle, they have made the game playable. I couldn't believe it either, till I tried it myself. I would come here and read that the game is doing better bla bla bla. I tried it, and I saw what's been going on. And I could tell you, I don't know why or how SOE did what they did, but they pulled this game out of the gutter and made it extremely playable.

So, if you're going to stay away from this game, because of SOE, Im telling you, you're missing out on this one. Forget EQ2, I wouldn't play that game either. I'm talking about VG.

And personally, like I said, Blizzard is worse. I have 7 level 80's, with my main character over 6k gear score.... trust me when I say, WoW can't hold a candle in front of VG! WoW has become extremely instanced, very dull and repetitive, extremely annoying to constantly deal with the sihtty community and immature players who constantly talk about homo's, peepee's and weewee's in trade chat.... 

So if you're gonna stir clear of this game solely due to SOE owning it, you're missing out and making a mistake. (for vanguard exclusively)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by glim3mer

Blizzard is worse! I know about the SoE hate, and I am a also a vivid hater of them, especially John $medley the turd in charge.

However this has nothing to do with Vanguard. Actually, by some miracle, they have made the game playable. I couldn't believe it either, till I tried it myself. I would come here and read that the game is doing better bla bla bla. I tried it, and I saw what's been going on. And I could tell you, I don't know why or how SOE did what they did, but they pulled this game out of the gutter and made it extremely playable.

So, if you're going to stay away from this game, because of SOE, Im telling you, you're missing out on this one. Forget EQ2, I wouldn't play that game either. I'm talking about VG.

And personally, like I said, Blizzard is worse. I have 7 level 80's, with my main character over 6k gear score.... trust me when I say, WoW can't hold a candle in front of VG! WoW has become extremely instanced, very dull and repetitive, extremely annoying to constantly deal with the sihtty community and immature players who constantly talk about homo's, peepee's and weewee's in trade chat.... 

So if you're gonna stir clear of this game solely due to SOE owning it, you're missing out and making a mistake. (for vanguard exclusively)

Soe spent the last 3 years and all they really have to show for it is some improvment on performance, finishing content the sigil was already working on and then screwing up the game design when they needed to make their own choices.  That really isn't something to be praised for.  Almost everything that was great about vanguard was already in place when sigil was in charge.  I really can't think of anything soe did that was great in the game which sigil didn't already start.

People are staying away from vanguard and soe, because the very exact concerns they voice when soe was "just the publisher" have come true. 

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Shadus loads his shotgun and says, "Sorry yeller (vanguard)", he then pulls up his gun and shoots yeller in the head while weeping softly and mutters "I'd say you'll see Lil Ann and Old Dan (MxO and AC2) in heaven but we both know they didn't git there."

Edit: (my appologies to Wilson Rawls & Fred Gipson)

Shadus

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

To the OP:

Since Vanguard has very low sub numbers and thus low revenue, SOE doesn't care.

Since Vanguard was not made by SOE, SOE doesn't care.

Since Vanguard is old and on station pass, SOE doesn't care.

Since losing one more customer only costs them $15, SOE doesn't care.

Since SOE only bought Vanguard in the first place, to stop it from competing with EQ2, SOE doesn't care.

I guess my point is, that when it comes to Vanguard, SOE doesn't care.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Amen.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Burntvet

To the OP:

Since SOE only bought Vanguard in the first place, to stop it from competing with EQ2, SOE doesn't care.

Since EQ 2 is going F2P or some hybrid of it . It's very unlikely SOE wants Vanguard ( newer then EQ 2 ) to compete, so it'll probably never make it to F2P .  It's a shame because at this point it's about the only thing that could revitalize this game. At F2P the influx of new and returning players could make this a vibrant game again. Oh well , that was never in SOE's plans though. Everything you said above is absolutely correct, which is the real crime of this .

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

To the OP:

Fully this.

It's a sad thing to realise that SOE might only have bought Vanguard to eliminate some competition, and they have a point: if Vanguard had gone into other hands, a company that went nourishing that unfulfilled potential, then Vanguard could have easily surpassed EQ2 and become one of the gems of these times.

It had a lot in it to become a sleeper hit, but because of SOE this will never come to pass.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by cyphers

To the OP:

Fully this.

It's a sad thing to realise that SOE might only have bought Vanguard to eliminate some competition, and they have a point: if Vanguard had gone into other hands, a company that went nourishing that unfulfilled potential, then Vanguard could have easily surpassed EQ2 and become one of the gems of these times.

It had a lot in it to become a sleeper hit, but because of SOE this will never come to pass.

It's interesting that Vanguard would be a better test bed for their F2P plans then EQ 2 and yet they are starting with EQ 2. That should be a clear indicator of what they think of Vanguard .

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

VG players are out of touch with current MMO demands. SOE told you this nearly 2 years ago. Stop doubting their wisdom.

VG offers many, many hours of enjoyment for the small number of people that want to play it. Just don't expect SOE to invest dumptrucks full of cash into a game that a small number of people want to play. You can certainly ask the small number of people that want to play it to donate the cash, however.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by DailyBuzz

SOE told you this nearly 2 years ago. Stop doubting their wisdom.

I never thought that I would see SOE positioned as the purveyors of wisdom, especially with regards to MMOs.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by dragonbrand

Originally posted by DailyBuzz

SOE told you this nearly 2 years ago. Stop doubting their wisdom.

I never thought that I would see SOE positioned as the purveyors of wisdom, especially with regards to MMOs.

I actually laughed out loud, literally.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I remember a few months ago there was all kinds of excitement about a new guild that started in mmorpg.com called "after hours" at one point there were over 300 members but then players started droping out like crazy and now I dont think the guild is even functioning. there is sometihing about Vanguard that gives people initial excitement and then leaves them cold