Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Botting and WoW

It seems that Blizzard may be turning a blind eye to bots being run. I recently started working on some of my alts and while in the Plaguelands at Sorrow Hill I came across a pair of Paladins that were running the same circle over and over killing skellies and ghouls and obviously using waypoints to handle their route. I reported them and they disappeared only for two more identical Paladins with different names to reappear there. These two paladins have gone from level 1 to 70 in 5 days and according to their armory pages have only ever done 1 quest each and have killed over 15,000 mobs. Each time these have been reported Blizzard GMs get back and say thanks it will be taken care of but they are still out there grinding away in circles on these mobs.

I am not one big on conspiracies or thinking that the game developer is turning a blind eye but this is just completely but for me I find this quite frustrating to see these toons being leveled this way while I play according to the rules.

I can only hope that Blizzard does actually ban these toons quickly.

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Well you cannot beat all bots, Blizzard have warden running checking for bots and also did what one one else could and shut down glider bot.  Blizzard have done more than any other dev to tackle bot's but it's an endless battle.

Best thing to do with bots it to whisper them, most bot programs will then log off as it could be a GM whisper... or steal their kills.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

With all the spamming, account hacking, and not to mention their work on the expansion, why would you expect them to act within hours on a complaint. And not even really why, but how with all that going on would you expect action to be taken almost immediately?

I think they will get to it but they probably have their own methods that are probably a little more detailed than an armory search.

I think it's great you ratted them out and I would do the same thing but to get upset that action isn't being taken swiftly, well just wait, they will do something.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

If I had reported them today or even yesterday then I certainly could understand saying I should be a bit more patient but it has been four days since they were reported and I know that other people have reported them also. I'm sympathetic that Blizzard can be quite busy at times but this isn't a bug or a cosmetic issue. I guess I will wait but it still is highly upsetting to see them running in circles hour after hour killing the same mobs for 2 or 3 levels and then move to another spot and do the same thing.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that the botters can be so blatant and unconcerned about people seeing them. Also, I suspect that if they hit level 80 the toons will be sold off to some idiot on ebay though I don't have much sympathy for anyone dumb enough to buy an ebay'd toon either.

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

Botters in open world have the smallest impact, now imagine you queue up for WSG and 4 out of 10 players are botters! 

Blizzard can't fix this and they have proved it. So in essence blizzard is saying, deal with it or leave. 

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Okay this is just BS. I am starting to suspect that something is going on with Blizzard. The two Paladins that I reported have disappeared but amazingly two new ones with the same gear and stats but different names have appeared in the same old spots doing the same old stuff.

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

I've only come across two bots, and after reporting I made some awesome gold. One was in Shimmering Flats killing turtles. He would just walk in circles all day long. Was there for weeks. The character I was on was a skinner. I just followed the bot and skinned every turtle. I did this for like two weeks. It pretty much funded epic flying, mounts, purchasing new professions, and updating skills all the way to 80 for that character. haha

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

My entire time playing WoW I only saw 3 bots. One of them was a fishing bot in the crossroads area who was there for about a week until it got banned. The other two were two of the kids from my school who also got banned pretty fast.  Botting isn't that prominent in WoW. You might see a few, but it isn't ever Lineage 2 or Silkroad status.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

This is an issue I'm fully behind. Blizzard could do more, like any issue that's brought up, but what they've done so far will suffice. They sued and dismantled glider bot (a huge message to other botters starting up) and seem to be banning more of them now. Unlike gold spammers, they don't really bother me so I don't take as much attention to it as I probably should. Just report them if you catch them doing it. Blizzard (like OP said) can access their server databases and easily see who's botting.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

The problem is the sheer amount of stupid people who get their accounts hacked by phishing emails.

Look at the history of this forum.  " haha, blizzard is stupid, I quit playing 3 months ago and they banned my account".

No, they didn't ban your account, but by checking the email, you just allowed goldfarmers to use your account to bot.

I've only ever encountered one botter and as someone else said. he was in barrens fishing for deviate fish.

But in your case, I'm really curious about what they were doing.  Even if you botted 24/7, the amount of gold you could get from level 50ish mobs is very little gold compared to what players get from questing/dungeons/dailies in wotlk.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I haven't seen so many bots since Aion.

WoW has had a ton of bots since vanilla... it's just that since Activision bought WoW they've curbed enforcement.

If you ever play in the battlegrounds then you'll be familiar with a wide range of bots. Some stand in one place casting spells, some auto-follow players, some actually play the game, and some are ran by players.. they just automate a lot of the combat functions and cause character lag to avoid attacks.

People use to deny that WoW was full of bots. Now that you can see bots in almost every random battleground as well as spelling out websites in the main cities it's pretty hard to deny.

WoW is right up there with Aion for number of bots; the bots just tend to hang out in instances in WoW.