Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Change

RogueHavenRogueHaven Member Posts: 16

Many people will agree that RuneScape has changed quite dramatically in it's 9 years of success. If you're new to RuneScape, you'll pick up on something. There's the average player, who plays the game and welcomes most updates, and there's a conservative type of player, that clings to the way the game used to be played. Beware the nostalgic, this game has a lot of them..

Comments

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Beware what? Are you trying to flame bait?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Any game that is 9 years old has changed dramatically. That's part of having nine years of experience in what to do and what not to do.

• ArtGArtG Member Posts: 2

looking at this thread brings back so much memory...

i started playing as soon as it came out(when it was in 2d) that was the most fun ive ever had in a MMO, sure there were a lot of glitch and there wasnt much content but people were nice and the word "noob" didnt exist. i was even member for a year or 2

i played till they removed the wilderness pking and they introduced the grand exchage, The game is nearly singleplayer now that was the final blow to an already dying game

runescape was fun but now i only go to do the events. I just cant accept my char not having someting and never be able to get it. i dont think ill ever play again but it seams im still attach emotionaly to my account(yes im in love with pixels)

im wonder if im still one of the most wealthy runescape

player? maybe you guys can give me info on that...

having started so early gave me time to amass so much stuff.

if i remember well i had something like 13 phat set, 23 mask set, around 50 santa hat enought rune ore to get the exp needed from 1-99 2/3 times, 50k cooked shark and enought magic log to reach 99 10 times...

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

this game died the moment other f2p games came out with better graphics

• RogueHavenRogueHaven Member Posts: 16

Yes, you're very rich >.> See? Nostalgic people.

LMAO,

That's because majority who come here are VETERAN players, who have played the game for YEARS.

That's something else that annoys me. People wouldn't consider me a veteran, having played for five years, which is pretty arrogant.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by RogueHaven

Many people will agree that RuneScape has changed quite dramatically in it's 9 years of success. If you're new to RuneScape, you'll pick up on something. There's the average player, who plays the game and welcomes most updates, and there's a conservative type of player, that clings to the way the game used to be played. Beware the nostalgic, this game has a lot of them..

What is your definition of success? Building up a huge player base and then messing up the game and losing over 4 million players because you want to promote your game as a junior mmo? It was doing quite well before they decided to do this:

Now why would they need to make a T-shirt commemorating their poor decisions if they didn;t make poor decisions? image

The average player hates the updates, you would be in the 2m out of 6m players that thought that was a good idea...

but then again, if your idea of a good mmo is a Junior mmo that  makes a game that is perfect for botting. I could see why you might think that.

1. Quick chat makes it easier to bot by creating silent worlds. Mods used to report for not answering them, oh yea they can no longer do that.

2. Programs access the client in a different manner than individual users. Jagex made no attempt to cut them off from the client, instead made changes to the world that made it more profitable for them to sell high level accounts than they made off of selling in game gold since high level botted accounts fully stocked are worth much more per sale and require many more hours logged in. After their update, the number of individual users greatly dropped whereas the number of programs only slightly dropped. resulting in their being less bots because they no longer needed to have tons of level 3's instead it was more profitable to sell quality accounts fully loaded. Since they can train fully loaded high level accounts faster, and they are more profitable, it forced the bots into members worlds due to the incease in profit per account. Jagex just basically made the bots buy memberships.. that is all.

3.Name change makes it easier for a kid to buy a fully loaded account, then change it's name to make it their own. Allows them to personalize it, and helps remove the history of the bots player reputation when they sell the account.

4. The removal of death randoms makes it much easier to bot without the risk of death.

Now, do you really think this was  great change to the game? LOL! image

Reporting for being silent was a lousy method, since no one's ever paying close attention to their woodcutting. The complaints, I magine, must have been ridiculous, so they had to scrap it because of how shallow a reading it was. ust because what RWT makes them more money and hasn't stopped them from doing that, it has kept their hands out of our economy. The whole reason for these updates was that essential items were no way to make money anymore.  Since agex keeps tags on the username (which sticks with an account) and IP addresses, I don't know what name changes have to do with anything. And last, death randoms had to be annoying for people who didn't want to stare at their training in an effort to avoid randoms. Plus, randoms are typically more complex these days. It's not all sandwich picking anymore.

Reporting for being silent was a lousy method, since no one's ever paying close attention to their woodcutting. The complaints, I magine, must have been ridiculous, so they had to scrap it because of how shallow a reading it was. ust because what RWT makes them more money and hasn't stopped them from doing that, it has kept their hands out of our economy. The whole reason for these updates was that essential items were no way to make money anymore.  Since agex keeps tags on the username (which sticks with an account) and IP addresses, I don't know what name changes have to do with anything. And last, death randoms had to be annoying for people who didn't want to stare at their training in an effort to avoid randoms. Plus, randoms are typically more complex these days. It's not all sandwich picking anymore.

LOL what economy? Do you seriously even for a second think that the economy is player run? It is an artificial economy, and a very broken system at that. 1. The bots are not out of the economy, you see they sell fully loaded accounts, and account training services, so all that money in those accounts and all those supplies are still dumped into the world.

When playing afk is the best way to play a game why play it at all? " playing a game" means you are supposed to be actually playing it. That the game is so much fun you wouldn;t want  to be doing a million other things than playing it. That means it is boring, not fun.  does that even make  any sense? the levels do not even have any rewards compared to every other game out there.

Name changes have to do with the players previous interactions with players. say if everyone knew character 0094567 was botting in mines for months, and then suddenly starts running around talking to them after everyone already knew they were a bot, why would a player want to buy an account with that kind of rep amongst the player base? Why would they want to buy a character with a bad player reputation? Also the bot itself can change it;s name frequently so they can appear to be a different person in the same area, so players would be unaware of who they were before if a bot starts getting too well known. A great selling point is the player can now customize not only the characters gender and appearance they can now customize the bot with their  own chosen name, so that no one will know they were actually that stupid bot running around the mines for months.

Bots have become more complex as well, as when they are unable to do a certain task for a numbr of seconds an alarm sounds and the account logs off.  So no fear of death allows for  no risk for doing this, which enables them to engage in much higher level tasks in better armors and such as to avoid detection. The death randoms were initially  placed in the games because once the player engaged in combat it would not log out from server killing the bot, and not allowing the log out bot feature to engage.

Bots these days have advanced much further than  prevention systems. Actually Jagex doesn;t have much of a  RMT prevetion system at all really. AND yes, that is right EVERY other game out there calles it RMT not RWT. Jagex likes making up alot of words so that when people go out into the real gaming world, they are completely lost. image

The other developers refer to that as RMT, and do not call their games " Junior MMOs"  . Many much more successful and populated games handle RMT much better without destroying their games.

How big is the RMT market anyway?

How more popular successful games that charge No monthly fee combat RMT without ruining their game:

Home > Support > Real-Money Trading Policy

Now  don;t get used to it.. I kinda like the eyes bleeding thing. image

I just barely started reading your post until I got tired of the red. Yes, there's a player run economy. Could you change the color of your text to white, ust for meh? I have bad eyes. Last time, I had to highlight your whole thing to read a word.

I just barely started reading your post until I got tired of the red. Yes, there's a player run economy. Could you change the color of your text to white, ust for meh? I have bad eyes. Last time, I had to highlight your whole thing to read a word.

There, I fixed it for ya. The economy is not actually player run, but they would like you to believe that. It is an artificial economy manipulated by Jagex , though. image

The supply and demand doesn't work, so they had to intervene.

Um, yeah, there's limits, and jagex can adjust prices, but if merchant clans have shown us anything, it's that we affect the market VERY much. There isn't a game out there that has people so interested in their training that they're attentive toward it. Unless, of course, it needs attention. Everyone's always doing something like, watching YouTube. I don't know what your point in saying that a game should be fun when jagex is making the game less of a grind, and more of a game, yet you argue against it. You can change your name once a month. How that's equivilant to "all the time" is beyond me. I really, really doubt people are paying attention to players they suspect of botting for a period of time longer than the short while they're training in the same area. If they were, a month seems like plenty of time to catch on and do something about it, so name changes don't pose a threat at all... Saying RWT is some trick to make people stupid is, really stupid. And jagex is a MMORPG, not a "jMMO." Again, my enter and backspace keys aren't working, so a wall of text is what you get for now.

Um, yeah, there's limits, and jagex can adjust prices, but if merchant clans have shown us anything, it's that we affect the market VERY much. There isn't a game out there that has people so interested in their training that they're attentive toward it. Unless, of course, it needs attention. Everyone's always doing something like, watching YouTube. I don't know what your point in saying that a game should be fun when jagex is making the game less of a grind, and more of a game, yet you argue against it. You can change your name once a month. How that's equivilant to "all the time" is beyond me. I really, really doubt people are paying attention to players they suspect of botting for a period of time longer than the short while they're training in the same area. If they were, a month seems like plenty of time to catch on and do something about it, so name changes don't pose a threat at all... Saying RWT is some trick to make people stupid is, really stupid. And jagex is a MMORPG, not a "jMMO." Again, my enter and backspace keys aren't working, so a wall of text is what you get for now.

Actually My clan back in the day is  one of the reasons why Jagex took over trade..image

But the core problem was that because of the steep curve at high levels to max stats meant mindless repetition of the the same products over and over again to max, the market was flooded with tons of end product with not enough buyers making the skill  unrewarding at high level. WhenJagex started to control that it eased it a bit, not near enough but a bit.

Yes, there are games out there that are actually fun to play that  you actually want to play, and that are actually challenging so you are attentive to your training. That is what games are supposed to be like, not just mindless, thoughtless repetition.

Many modern games are more like FPS action based, not boring asian grinders. 

Most of my friends have been or are still mods on this game.. yes, yes they are paying attention to the same players in an area, never speaking, botting but from what I have been told Jagex doesn't do much. A month long enough? LOL they world hop constantly just for that reason. I also KNOW account sellers, you would also be surprised how many player mods have been guilty of  RMT and are STILL playing. LOL

Of course you could ask simiswim about that on here, I mean he was a mod for quite some time after posting all the stuff he had on here about what he could do as a Mod. I guess they finally read it. LMAO!

Jagex was the one who claimed they were a junior MMO, not me Jagex was the one showing off their child saftey awards at e3, implementing their parent control dashboard, and promoting their lefting of the 13+ age restriction. I didn't tell Jagex  to tell the entire gaming world that their game was a " training ground for other mmo's" LOL..I didn't ask them to do that, I asked for 18+ age servers.  I do not think RWT was a trick, LOL I just think Jagex wasn't educated  enough in RMT to know what they were talking about, little lone trying to solve it properly.

What is your definition of fun?

Previously posted by deviliscious:

You do know that they didn’t care about real world trading as  much as they claimed, right? They could have easily solved the  rwt problem outside of game. They could have added an email  verification to make an account among other things, but they  chose the most destructive path to the game, and the reason for  that is because the majority of their players had become stupid  little kids and they wanted to make the game centered around  them.                     

The kids were tired of dieing and getting scammed and putting in  hard work to level skills, so jagex took all the risk out of the  game and added a trade limit so they couldn’t get scammed,  removed the full loot style wildy so noobs couldn’t wander in and  then die(that’s why they still have the wildy ditch so they don’t  wander in and the revenants kill them), made it so you could only  bet your trade limit in the duel arena so the noobs wouldn’t cry  and then quit after they gambled all of their money away. They  added grave stones so the noobs wouldn’t lose their items if they  died, they made the chat filter so strict that you couldn’t even  say the alphabet without getting a part of it blocked  just so  the kids couldn’t see any foul language(look how that turned out  lol), and then they started nerfing the skills.

When they nerfed prayer with ecto it made me mad, I spent over  400m getting 99 prayer back in the day but they did it to cater  to the noobs and then they added pc to nerf all the combat skills  so the noobs could power level with little to no effort in a  fraction of the time it used to take to level those same fighting  skills. Then they decided to nerf prayer even more with house  alters and now you can get 1 to 99 prayer in less then a week if  you have the money, and they are still going to nerf ruinedscape  even more to cater to the kids and now the kids parents since  they are adding an account managing system for the parents so  they can control how much their kids play, what worlds they can  play on, who’s on their friends list, and even if they can talk  in game or not. So it was never about rwt, it was always about  appeasing the kids, that’s why the game is failing and that’s why  jagex is going to dumb it for mechscape in a few years(if not  sooner) and then make another failed game(mechscape).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

Claim 1:"There isn't a game out there that has people so interested in their training that they're attentive toward it.

The truth:

Says who? Almost ALL MMORPGS have non-combat skills. Your statement is null and void.

Claim 2: "Unless, of course, it needs attention. Everyone's always doing something like, watching YouTube."

LOLOLOLOL. So in defense for the countless BOTS that thrive, you state that they watch "youtube"? Have you even played RS to a decent extent. Have you even  BOTTED in the past? Unless you have done so, there is no way one could tell likewise!

Claim 3: "You can change your name once a month. How that's equivilant to "all the time" is beyond me."

The task of reporting players belongs to the common players. You don't see Jmods or Pmods roaming around every world in mass. That means, if people change their name, the risk of evading these idiots, is high.

Claim 4: "I really, really doubt people are paying attention to players they suspect of botting for a period of time longer than the short while they're training in the same area. If they were, a month seems like plenty of time to catch on and do something about it, so name changes don't pose a threat at all"

And your point is? Jagex is a self-righteous company. They don't care about players. They care about $$$. That's the verdict. If you try to defend their non-existent customer service, their non-existent active detection algorithms, their non-existent player friendly mod-base, then you are obviously deluded.

Claim 5: "Saying RWT is some trick to make people stupid is, really stupid. And jagex is a MMORPG, not a "jMMO." Again, my enter and backspace keys aren't working, so a wall of text is what you get for now."

This is completely false. Other  games have much better systems to deal with RMT, and Jagex was  aware of these things. They chose to remove the posts prior to  the announcement that they were removing the wildernesss. They  did not remove posts because they were against the rules, they  removed them because they did not want the runescape public to be  aware they had many  better options than to do what they were  choosing to do.  When they removed these posts all they stated  was " this is a matter that Jagex takes very seriously, and we  regretfully have to remove this post." They chose  to take the  option removing the wilderness because they were gearing their  game up for the childrens market. They wanted to make their game  a child safe and friendly game which they have recently announced  in interviews at e3.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I was so pissed off when they removed wildy, and free trade.

Way to ruin a game.

If they wanted to make it safe for children, then they should have made some servers for adults, who got to keep the things that were removed, or dumbed down.

Then have called the servers with the update "Runescape 3" and left Runescape 2 to the vets of the game.

I left after wildy was removed, Been back a couple of times, but it never is the same..

RIP Runescape.

Originally posted by Blissey

Previously posted by deviliscious:

You do know that they didn’t care about real world trading as  much as they claimed, right? They could have easily solved the  rwt problem outside of game. They could have added an email  verification to make an account among other things, but they  chose the most destructive path to the game, and the reason for  that is because the majority of their players had become stupid  little kids and they wanted to make the game centered around  them.                     

The kids were tired of dieing and getting scammed and putting in  hard work to level skills, so jagex took all the risk out of the  game and added a trade limit so they couldn’t get scammed,  removed the full loot style wildy so noobs couldn’t wander in and  then die(that’s why they still have the wildy ditch so they don’t  wander in and the revenants kill them), made it so you could only  bet your trade limit in the duel arena so the noobs wouldn’t cry  and then quit after they gambled all of their money away. They  added grave stones so the noobs wouldn’t lose their items if they  died, they made the chat filter so strict that you couldn’t even  say the alphabet without getting a part of it blocked  just so  the kids couldn’t see any foul language(look how that turned out  lol), and then they started nerfing the skills.

When they nerfed prayer with ecto it made me mad, I spent over  400m getting 99 prayer back in the day but they did it to cater  to the noobs and then they added pc to nerf all the combat skills  so the noobs could power level with little to no effort in a  fraction of the time it used to take to level those same fighting  skills. Then they decided to nerf prayer even more with house  alters and now you can get 1 to 99 prayer in less then a week if  you have the money, and they are still going to nerf ruinedscape  even more to cater to the kids and now the kids parents since  they are adding an account managing system for the parents so  they can control how much their kids play, what worlds they can  play on, who’s on their friends list, and even if they can talk  in game or not. So it was never about rwt, it was always about  appeasing the kids, that’s why the game is failing and that’s why  jagex is going to dumb it for mechscape in a few years(if not  sooner) and then make another failed game(mechscape).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

Claim 1:"There isn't a game out there that has people so interested in their training that they're attentive toward it.

The truth:

Says who? Almost ALL MMORPGS have non-combat skills. Your statement is null and void.

Claim 2: "Unless, of course, it needs attention. Everyone's always doing something like, watching YouTube."

LOLOLOLOL. So in defense for the countless BOTS that thrive, you state that they watch "youtube"? Have you even played RS to a decent extent. Have you even  BOTTED in the past? Unless you have done so, there is no way one could tell likewise!

Claim 3: "You can change your name once a month. How that's equivilant to "all the time" is beyond me."

The task of reporting players belongs to the common players. You don't see Jmods or Pmods roaming around every world in mass. That means, if people change their name, the risk of evading these idiots, is high.

Claim 4: "I really, really doubt people are paying attention to players they suspect of botting for a period of time longer than the short while they're training in the same area. If they were, a month seems like plenty of time to catch on and do something about it, so name changes don't pose a threat at all"

And your point is? Jagex is a self-righteous company. They don't care about players. They care about $$$. That's the verdict. If you try to defend their non-existent customer service, their non-existent active detection algorithms, their non-existent player friendly mod-base, then you are obviously deluded.

Claim 5: "Saying RWT is some trick to make people stupid is, really stupid. And jagex is a MMORPG, not a "jMMO." Again, my enter and backspace keys aren't working, so a wall of text is what you get for now."

This is completely false. Other  games have much better systems to deal with RMT, and Jagex was  aware of these things. They chose to remove the posts prior to  the announcement that they were removing the wildernesss. They  did not remove posts because they were against the rules, they  removed them because they did not want the runescape public to be  aware they had many  better options than to do what they were  choosing to do.  When they removed these posts all they stated  was " this is a matter that Jagex takes very seriously, and we  regretfully have to remove this post." They chose  to take the  option removing the wilderness because they were gearing their  game up for the childrens market. They wanted to make their game  a child safe and friendly game which they have recently announced  in interviews at e3.

Actually the part in lavender was quoted from Palo_god. imageI kept thinking for a minute.. saying to myself .. " why am I not remembring this?" then I got to the prayer comment and was like  No way, I killed my own dragons to max pray the hard way, and didn;t buy it. LOL! http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2358689#2358689

That in green was me though! image

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/192131/page/1

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

That might be another issue in itself. We are just getting older, and our experiences greater. We expect different things, view the world differently, and have matured. 

I used to play a lot of runescape in middle school. Even to this day I have to say it was probably the most fun I've ever had in a MMO. After they removed the wildy I still played, as did most everyone but older players. When they removed free trade I left. I feel this is mostly though because of me growing up, and expecting the free trade to be there even though they removed it. Sure they lost players on these updates, but I imagine it also did exactly what they wanted it too, made the game safer for new and young players. No player plays a game forever, and the game may have been at its player base, and then towards the future. Let's face it, it was a simple game. What better audience to market it to than to young and casual gamers? 

I still find myself playing the game and working my way through the new content, which I enjoy. 

Runescape might be dead for a lot of us, but the game itself is thriving. They've increased the number of worlds, introduced new skills, and have at least tripled the content since I last played. I can't see a dying game doing that. It was a wise choice that just had a bad taste for older gamers.

LMAO!

Totally irrelevant.

Being older doesn't mean you get more susceptible to incredible tyranny. People who choose to speak against JAGEX's tyranny, are open minded people. People who choose to "go with the flow" and accept these lame excuses as a legitimate reason, are close minded, and easy deluded people. I have played RS since 2002, I know what I am talking about. JaGEX had choices. They had options. To say "yeah yeah, they choose to fuck the game up, grow up", is pointless. A grown up person would not tolerate these things. A mature person would see past these false pretentions, and look at the game from a retrospective point of view. There is a difference between critisizing the game via experience, and bad mouthing the game via first impressions.

"Runescape might be dead for a lot of us, but the game itself is thriving. They've increased the number of worlds, introduced new skills, and have at least tripled the content since I last played. I can't see a dying game doing that. It was a wise choice that just had a bad taste for older gamers."

And the point is?

1) The number of worlds increased is irrelevant. There are better alternatives out there with less world, yet more capacity.

2)New skills? Even within the elite circle of "no-lives", there are legitimate players out there, with legitimate reasons as to why these new skills don't quality as skills compared to previous skills, or they are totally dumbed down compared to previous skills. You have to observe trends over a period of time in order to understand this.

3)Tripled the content, at the expense of what? Everyday, unecessary tweaks designed to dumb down the game further?

More child-friendly updates? The conscription of more and more random Pmods to fill the ranks lost to legitimate players who chose to move on?

4)Wise choice? Of course, if you look at it from the POV of a 09er, or a kid who jacks off to the essence of corporate greed, corporate game, overrated crap like WoW.

Okay. Where do I start...? I was hoping to make a point of how the game is changing, in aspects such as new ways to train, quest rewards and Dungeoneering, but instead I've gotten into an economic discussion (which could be one worth having, but is a separate talk in itself) and a nostalgia for the older game, which is missing the point. RS isn't the same game it used to be, and that's okay, and I think it's better. The only thing worth doing was grinding til you had levels to show off. It was all about a silly sense of pride you had in how long you could sit at your computer. It's changed. Now, I go on because I want to enjoy myself. That new Conquest game is awesome, and a great way to train defense.  But see, the problem is when people complain, taking this example, that their hard earned  capes would mean less. God forbid the game be interesting and rewarding. That's the kind of thing I was getting at. Not having free trade is fine. The expanded limits for long standing friends keeps me able to supply my group with everything out of my own pocket, if I wanted, so I couldn't care less about the trade limits, because I can still function just damn fine. The Wilderness is stocked full of content, even quests, to the point that it is a much more rich experience than it used to be. The game changed.

I don't see the point on ranting on how "awesome" Jagex's actions were. You know that majority of RS players despise, and hate these updates. I don't need to tell you that. The truth speaks for itself. Go on YOUTUBE and check. The sentiment is overwhelming.

Don't blame it on us. I, deviliscious, and many others were are mere witnesses of this horror. What horror, you ask? The UNCESSARY nerfing of minor and major aspects in items, contents, quests, and the holistic economy.

You say : "The Wilderness is stocked full of content, even quests, to the point that it is a much more rich experience than it used to be."

I say again, at the expense of what? A rich legacy, a driving force, a UNIQUE aspect of Runescape? The wildy is what made RUNESCAPE the REAL DEAL, the trump card.

Nothing can equal the thrill of 3 hitting your opponent. Even to this day, ask any RSC pker and he is sure to recall his best 3 hit kill. Not just 3 hitting, there are also 1 hit and two hit kills though these are mostly for lower level kills.

Unlike today's RS combat system, in Runescape Classic you could not eat for 3 rounds of fighting. 3 hitting is when you are able to kill your opponent in exactly 3 rounds of fighting while he is still unable to eat.

3 hitting is very simple and looks effortless yet it is so rare. To those who have been 3 hit, this is the ultimate in humiliation and weakness as they are completely defenseless against it.

You say: "The expanded limits for long standing friends keeps me able to supply my group with everything out of my own pocket, if I wanted, so I couldn't care less about the trade limits, because I can still function just damn fine."

So let it be! I still don't see the point of ranting against people who despise tyranny, who have the guts to fight the power.

Double post. Tried editing and something weird was going on.

"You know that majority of RS players despise, and hate these updates." You should know that that's a terrible argument. If I told you the majority of people agreed with my stance, would that convey you? It shouldn't, because I couldn't prove a statement like that. Oh, but everyone agrees with me. Also, I was naming the good things not to praise them, but your argument consists of insults, why can't mine contain something positive? At this point, The positive surely outweighs the negative. Like you said "at the expense of what?" Well, if you lose something but make enough progress to surpass what you lost, isn't that beneficial? We don't use the Colosseum anymore, but we know the history, the glamor, but we've gained from losing it. How is me saying "that it is a much more rich experience than it used to be," without a point?