Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a trial?

ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

I just wondered if there was a trial available for sto yet?, I'm looking for a casual mmorpg to fill the void between single play games (playing Fallout 3 and Kings Bounty: Legend atm)

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Shari

I just wondered if there was a trial available for sto yet?, I'm looking for a casual mmorpg to fill the void between single play games (playing Fallout 3 and Kings Bounty: Legend atm)

I found the game to be horrible after playing beta and launch so don't quote me on this but I do believe there is a trial for STO best to check on the Cryptic site to be certain though.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Shari

There is a very limited trial (the short tutorial and one mission afterwards), but it's not enough to give you a feel for the game. Give the trial a try, but remember that what you do in the trial is pretty much it for the game play.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

If you want a casual game I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online. 

Community:

LOTRO: 10/10 helpful players and great staff.

STO: 3/10 Disgruntle staff, angry customers.   The drama in the forums are often the highlight of the game.

Price:

LOTRO: Free, Premium (casual subscribers), VIP (long-term subscribers). The higher the tier the better the perks (but not in a way that unbalances the game for free players).

STO: Pay for the box + 1st month, subscribers, Life-time-subscribers. Not much difference between the subscribers and Lifers...except some trivial perks and a whole lot of shouting.

Cash Shop

Present in both games but unlike STO, in LOTRO the currency is Turbine points which can be earned by completing quests.  VIPs get a monthly allotment to spend, on top of what they earn in-game.  In STO, anything that is worth having can be bought in the shop.  The shop's inventory expands faster than "free" player content.