Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So before i dump cash in this...

adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I have a few questions. 

1. Are there things to discover in the world? I heard you can find things laying on the ground if you walk, is this true?

2. Are there "dungeons" whether like AO/SWG or the more traditional type? 

3. is the world as big as it looks?  Cause it looks huge!!

4. If you craft say a rifle, does the outcome depend on your skills or the mats its made from?  Or is every opalo rifle the same?

I guess im not looking to make money from this unique game, but just want to get a idea of its style before i pump some funds into it..

Thanks Much for any info! 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Comments

• AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member UncommonPosts: 193

1. By things... do you mean artifacts?  No. Do you mean resources that can be sold or utilized as part of the manufacturing process?  Yes.  Don't expect to walk up on a fortune.

2. Dungeons?  No, not really.  Planet Calypso features a sci-fi based story line, set in the far future on man's first colony planet. Rocktropia has a...ummm.. Rock fantasy... I guess... setting.  The other planet partners will have their own story lines and settings when they come online.  On Calypso there was an underground set of catacombs that were populated by Boorums, a well endowed race of humanoid mutants. If it still exists in the post VU 10 planet, it has yet to be located. The other "nearly dungeon" feature would be Beacon Missions, where players would be transported to a multi-level robot spacecraft where the raiding party would then proceed to elimate the robotic crew and then remove plunder from storage boxes before the craft autodestructs. This feature has also been missing since VU 10. First Planet Corp, the company that runs Calypso, says that MindArk, the platform provider, says they will return, but no timeframe has been given.

3. It's big, and there's only one universe. There aren't  "mirror universes" with different server names, so you won't miss your buddies because they're on the "blahblah" server and you're not. Prepare to walk lots, get a vehicle, or a telport chip. In any case, there will be lots of exploring to do while you add the stationary teleporters to your personal map.

4. All manufactured items of the same type require identical materials, so no material variation can effect weapon quality. Skill levels can effect success of crafting an item, as well as the quality of the finished good. You can also alter the desired level of quality when you manufacture items, trading off lower quality/ high success rate for higher quality/ lower success rate for a given skill level.  Some items are disposable (L), and they will stay at whatever level they are when manufactured until usage causes decay. Unlimited items can be repaired to full value even if manufactured at low quality.

Alpha AG Geek
    Founder- Manticore Society

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Thanks for all the information!  I think im going to give it a shot partly because it reminds me of SWG so much and i like the community.  They actually seem quite helpful, which is something i havent seen in a while..

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Cool!  Before you set foot on planet though, do some research. You mentioned "dumping cash". Since Entropia does have a real cash economy, it's easy to go overboard if you're not a disciplined spender. Do some research. Eleswhere in this very form is a link to Alice's guide. While it was written in Calypso's pre-CryEngine era, the information there about the economy, basic interactions with stuff on plnet, etc, are still quite valid.

Several Societies (similar to guilds or clans in other games)  and other organizations have made at least part of their in-game mission to help newcomers. If you're in the area of Swamp Camp, keep an eye out for any members of the "Feed The Newbs" society, as well as Entropia Tour Agency. These are two of the more reputable groups, IMO.

Also, keep an eye out for the unsavory characters. The RCE also means that you can become a target for scammers, thieves and the like. Don't let anyone talk you into getting your armor colored, weapons or armor upgraded, etc.  While some upgrades are possible with the newly implemented tiered items, just don't bother with it until you've gained some trusted friends and allies in the game, and have more than the most basic knowledge of game mechanics.

That's it for now. Welcome to Calypso!!

AG

Alpha AG Geek

• EU_RAZEREU_RAZER Member Posts: 85

Alice has updated het guide to the post VU10 era with all the new stuff in it

http://rp.apachenet.de/downloads/planet_calypso_guide.pdf

be sure to read it, there is loads of info in there that may help you have a more plesant experiance in this game

also go to the forums to get info

www.entropiaplanets.com

and

www.entropiaforum.com

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by AlphaGeek

Cool!  Before you set foot on planet though, do some research. You mentioned "dumping cash". Since Entropia does have a real cash economy, it's easy to go overboard if you're not a disciplined spender. Do some research. Eleswhere in this very form is a link to Alice's guide. While it was written in Calypso's pre-CryEngine era, the information there about the economy, basic interactions with stuff on plnet, etc, are still quite valid.

Several Societies (similar to guilds or clans in other games)  and other organizations have made at least part of their in-game mission to help newcomers. If you're in the area of Swamp Camp, keep an eye out for any members of the "Feed The Newbs" society, as well as Entropia Tour Agency. These are two of the more reputable groups, IMO.

Also, keep an eye out for the unsavory characters. The RCE also means that you can become a target for scammers, thieves and the like. Don't let anyone talk you into getting your armor colored, weapons or armor upgraded, etc.  While some upgrades are possible with the newly implemented tiered items, just don't bother with it until you've gained some trusted friends and allies in the game, and have more than the most basic knowledge of game mechanics.

That's it for now. Welcome to Calypso!!

AG

To add a point of contention - and you will find alot of these in Entropia - Feed the Newbs is NOT a reputable society.  They are a brand new group, created by one person who made the group at the time as part of a knee jerk response to drama surrounding some established folk and a newer players radio station.  The society isnt even a month old yet at the time of this posting!  To say they are reputable is baloney.  They have absolutely no reputation whatsoever, just a name that can sucker people in and some posts made with completely unproven claims.  There's no record whatsoever of what they have done or even can do for a new player starting out. 

There's alot of controversy surrounding this particular group of people, and my best advice is to stay away from any group that is or has been a part of this until you can judge for yourself whats going on.

The rest of this post is accurate and good advice, however.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

I stand by my statement, regardless of your opinion.

Alpha AG Geek

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Its a fact.  That society has been around for roughly a month. Assigning a decent reputation to somoene's organization just because you like their Entropia Forum posts is folly.  All it does is doom the community to repeat the mistakes it has always made.  It fills the waters with Mud.

I say let "Feed the Newbs" prove itself.  Not by handing out a few Emik S30 (L)'s and Vivo T1's, but by getting in there in the trenches, organizing information and events, and actually making things happen for new players on a consistently positive note.

I notice that my society does in fact do all of these things and has for months, but because I am not liked by the popular crowd my group is almost always conveniently forgotten about.   Yet the social group is quite eager to promote another charlatan simply because he likes to bash on the same individuals they do.

For me its quite alright. We at 102 members and climbing, have had more than 4000 PED in giveaways and events this summer, and continue to assemble a vast storehouse of information, player critiques, and journalled experiences for new players to reference.   I point out this lapse in judgement only because I feel its a pervasive problem within this community, not because I want any extra attention.

I wish for once people would stop playing favorites and start looking at whats going on around them.   Its true what they say though, you can wish in one hand and *** in the other and the hand without the wish will fill up first!

Im sure at some point the posts will come my way about how people were "just beginning to respect me" etc.  Im used to garbage like that and to be honest I dont want to earn anyones respect by only posting stuff they agree with.  Thats not respect.  Thats compliance.   Most folks have no idea what respect actually means, so I dont really give a damn if I'm earning any or not! :-)

Anyhow /rant off.   Ive said my piece and now explained why I feel the way I do.   No point in continuing.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

Indeed, users should look listen, and learn. Should they choose to do that, the naked truth will be discovered.

Alpha AG Geek