Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player Question, AoC Quest Stories

cw2icw2i Member UncommonPosts: 26

Recently began playing AoC under a trial, and have finished in Tortage, and now debating whether to sub. I've immensly enjoyed the combat system, character development, and the appearance of the game.

However, I've been unable to get over the questing. This game feels completely like a single player RPG with access to an MMO world. Tortage is a few paths, with a very narrow area to adventure in. But worse than that, the quests are not designed for an MMO world...how can 8,800 characters (yellow gremlin's census of Wiccana) all have killed Strom, or exploded a volcano, or completed any of the many opening quests that all are designed to make a single player a hero?

Would someone please tell me if this is the style of all the quests throughout the game, or a fluke of the opening?

__
Playing: AoC
Hiatus: EVE

Comments

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

The first 20 levels are very different from the rest of the game.  Once you leave Tortage you enter the rest of the game world which is more open and has multiple directions you can go.  The voice acting in quests is more limited however, usually restricted to just the destiny questline (continuation of the single-player questline from Tortage) and a few other significant quests.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Tortage is like a huge tuturial with story to get you a little exited, after tortage the game changes into more of the MMO you might be used to, but some things stay, the good things :)

The main story of the game is divided into several tiers trough the game.

lvl 1-20, lvl 30, lvl 50, lvl 60 and finaly lvl 80. 1-20 being Tortage ofc. Voice overs covers the main quests and a few others, rest are read only.

The rest of the game is like:

- A lot LARGER areas then any of those in Tortage, some might feel pathed, and some are just open.

- PvP if you like that, lots of it on FFA servers

- Plenty of instances that require groups, or outside quest areas that requires groups.

- Plenty of places to just enjoy the view on full graphics! :)

A lot more also, but you can read up on mostly.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by cw2i

However, I've been unable to get over the questing.

1. This game feels completely like a single player RPG with access to an MMO world. Tortage is a few paths, with a very narrow area to adventure in.

- It is just the tutorial so there really wouldn't be alot of options.  Plus the SPG element is limited to the night time Destiny quest line.  The day time quests still have all the other players around you and allow you to group up and help each other out.  The game world itself is larger and does allow you more freedom.

2. But worse than that, the quests are not designed for an MMO world...how can 8,800 characters (yellow gremlin's census of Wiccana) all have killed Strom, or exploded a volcano, or completed any of the many opening quests that all are designed to make a single player a hero?

Would someone please tell me if this is the style of all the quests throughout the game, or a fluke of the opening?

2. The same way 200,000 SWG players can help out Han Solo at the start and all end up with a landspeeder and custom paint job (tell Han this is the last favor I owe him, him, him, him .....).

I've yet to see a MMO that didn't do quests this way.  It sounds like you're talking about a living game world and if that's the case then the only time Storm would have been killed would have been 3 years ago by the first lucky yahoo to power level up to that point.

Just how fun would the game be, or how long would it last, if it went like this "Hey, let's go Kill the Cultests in the Temple of Doom!", "Nannnn, they did that 2 years ago and now all the Cult types just stand around selling flowers",  "Oh, well I heard there's a Lady of the Evening that needs rescuing", "Nope, been there, done that, now she's fat and we've got 10 kids which is why I'm sitting here in this bar drinking with you."

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter