Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible player with a couple of questions

Hi I am thinking of giving AoC a try, and after I browsed through a bunch of threads on the official forums, I have a couple of questions that I'd really appreciate some insight to.

1. It seems like early in the history of the game, female toons were gimped because their attack rates were slower and their combo animations were longer than their male counterparts. I think Funcom fixed the former, but I'm not sure if they fixed the latter. Can anyone provide a more definitive state of the game regarding gender balance?

2. Players even today seem to have a lot of negative concerns, but it seems like the concerns are focused around PvP. I am confused as to why PvP right now is bad, and more specifically, why some have claimed it has gone down hill after some point in the past called 1.4. In fact, I don't even know what version the game is today. Can anyone provide a brief history of how PvP has changed with each major patch, so i can have a better idea of what it is like today?

3. I am interested primarily in PvE, but I'm also interested in some PvP. Cimmeria seems appealing just to keep PvP open as an option, but I'm not really interested in open world hostility all the time. Wicanna seems appealing because I've heard it's the most populated PvE server, but then PvP isn't an option? May someone provide some guidance here?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

1. Gender imbalance is fixed long ago, so no worries here.

2. PvP in 1.4 was when gear was still +1% stam and +0,5% and stuff, so gear was mostly useless or little impact. This PvP players loved, but PvE players did not see the reason to raid for gear that was no use. 1.5 changed all gear in the game forever, and gear became stronger, to PvE fans joy, and PvP players dismay. My bear Shammy loved 1.5, belive it or not (was a shammy remake in that patch.. ) Gear is still weaker then in other games, so skill still counts!

3. Don`t play in US. But PvP is not only for pvp servers, there are alot of minigames and boarder kingdoms on pve servers also.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

1: There is a PvP exploit that is difficult to pull off on a female toon apart from that no major differences now. This only ever affected melee toons.

2: The main concerns at the moment (on PvE servers anyway) are the dominance of a single guild on the PvP scene, this is especially true on Set with Ascendant.  There is a significant gear difference between this guild and most other players on the server so most new players do not get involved in PvP as getting farming in minigames isn't much fun.  Wiccana isn't as bad as this yet, but they do have a guild there that is going the way of Ascendant.  I would recommend Cimmeria if you plan to PvP.

3: AoC is fairly open PvP on the PvP servers.  I leveled on Cimmeria and you can expect to get attacked by anyone who thinks they have an advantage over you (with friends, higher level, etc).  By signing up to a PvP server in AoC you are pretty much consenting to PvP anywhere at anytime.

If you plan to do PvE content then both Wiccana and Set will do, I wouldn't recomment PvP on either as you'll face premade guild groups in minis and there is little else in the way of PvP content on PvE server (except for Bori, but again expect that to be dominated by 1-2 guilds).

The Enlightened take things Lightly