Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will anyone definitely NOT be skipping the voice overs?

SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I keep reading posts of how people will say in advance that they will be skipping most/all the voice overs; or at the least hitting the space bar and fast-jumping to the text selections.

I have to admit to being surprised by how many gamers seem to care nothing for the story.   I expected there to be some like that, but on a site full of gamers I did not expect so many.

I can say for certain that I will not be skipping the voice overs until I've replayed that particular dialogue enough times to know in advance all the possible responses.     A lot of people laud the joys of exploration in MMOs.   For me, this is a part of that.   Not knowing what people (NPCs) are going to say, or how they will react.   I find this particularly exciting considering my responses directly affect that.   There are few MMOs where the choices I make determine what an NPC is going to say or do, or affect what following options I may or may not be offered.

Bioware has said this game is as large as KOTOR 3,4,5,6, and 7 put together.   Considering we're getting 8 unique class stories, which can within themselves be very dfferent on a run thru depending on choices made, I'm expecting a plethora of content.    I will certainly not feel the need to rush through any of this by skipping or speeding up voice overs.

I'm not trying to get on a soapbox here, I'm just saying this is how I intend to play.

Comments

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I cant grasp why people are planning to play a game in which they dislike a major mechanic.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• JesterMesterJesterMester Member UncommonPosts: 22

Nope, that's how I feel as well. Only game I ever bothered skipping quest text in was World of Warcraft, I don't need an Essay telling me to kill 30 trolls for their blood.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I won't be skipping the voice overs except if I've done the quest line more than 3 times. Not sure if that is possible but  in general I find that I know the content well enough after three times that I know what the conversations are about.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'll most likely watch and listen to most voice over segments, execpt alien dialogue. WIth those I'll most likely skip and just read what they had to say. That's what I did in KOTOR 1+2 anyway.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JesterMesterJesterMester Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by Malickie

I'll most likely watch and listen to most voice over segments, execpt alien dialogue. WIth those I'll most likely skip and just read what they had to say. That's what I do KOTOR 1+2 anyway.

Yeah, that's what I did as well. Except for the twi'leks, don't know. They always made me laugh.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I will not be skipping any dialogue. The story is the main reason for playing this game, to me.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I think many people will skip them, weither they say they will or not, simply because they are paying monthly for it and a lot of that paid time could get "wasted", depending on how long the cut-scenes playout and how often of course.

Personally, if I planned on playing this, I probably would skip them too for that reason, time vs money and i'm a cheap bastard.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

It depends, though past BioWare VO were great, they have a MUCH larger cast now. It will suck if you have some really good sroty going with really good VO, than one guy has a cheaper VO.

• alpheusalpheus Member Posts: 72

I'm not going to be skipping them unless there's an extenuating circumstance.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by just2duh

I think many people will skip them, weither they say they will or not, simply because they are paying monthly for it and a lot of that paid time could get "wasted", depending on how long the cut-scenes playout and how often of course.

Personally, if I planned on playing this, I probably would skip them too for that reason, time vs money and i'm a cheap bastard.

While I've no doubt some will skip, I think for many watching voice overs is not considered wasted time.   I, for one, have always loved good cutscenes in games.   I feel they can contribute so much to story and atmosphere.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

No plans to skip the dialogs at this time.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

If the voice overs are bad people will skip them.  If they are good and not rambling on for no reason then people will most certainly watch them as voice overs add a huge amount of immersion into the questlines.  Look at AOC and you can see how much more depth is added by voice overs.  I'm sure TOR voices are going to be of much higher quality both acting and substance.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

The only thing I might skip past is alien language that repeats itself every 10 "words" like in KotOR.  Otherwise, not at all.

• bronzeroninbronzeronin Member Posts: 89

No skipping here, looking forward to the change of pace.  I still break out Diablo & D2 from time to time and I will listen to some of the more funnier NPC's just for the heck of it , loved Geglesh or what ever his name was in the second chapter, he was the drunk in the inn, (don't touch my drink or I'll bore a hole in your head with my thumb) or something like that, lol

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

I will definately not be skipping through any of the dialogue either.  Story is one of the main draws for me with this game.  I love BioWares single-player RPG's and play through them a ridiculous amount of times each just to sample every possible variation in storyline and gameplay. 

In fact, I am so in to the whole storytelling process with SW:ToR that if I am doing a group quest and some moron tries to skip through dialogue as fast as they can, they will instantly be placed on my ignore list so I don't make the mistake of grouping with them again.  I just can't understand why somebody would play this game and just rush through it to'endgame' without savouring what the game is all about.

Unfortunately, I know the type of gamer who will be guilty of rushing through the content/storyline though, I call them - 'The Hardcore WoW Endgame Raider Posse'.  They may not all come from WoW, but you know the type; the e-peen brigade.  These guys won't group with people unless they have 'X' piece of gear and call everyone noob.  This bunch of halfwits have managed to destroy the community of nearly every MMO that I have played in the post-WoW era. 

You may have guessed I'm not a big fan of gear dependancy, give me player skill over gear everytime.  I just hope SW:ToR finds a good balance and isn't all about being a gear treadmill at 'endgame'.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by JesterMester

Originally posted by Malickie

I'll most likely watch and listen to most voice over segments, execpt alien dialogue. WIth those I'll most likely skip and just read what they had to say. That's what I do KOTOR 1+2 anyway.

Yeah, that's what I did as well. Except for the twi'leks, don't know. They always made me laugh.

I hated the Twi'lek loop in KOTOR.  I will watch and listen to most all of the dialogue, except the aliens that are using looped speech.  If I can tell its looped, I won't bother listening to it,  if it is mostly varied, I'd consider listening to it.

I'd also consider skipping if I've done the missions before, most likely on repeatable world quests that I've done before,  if the group I'm in also would be willing to skip it.

• I'm also guilty of skipping text and trying to rush to end game in MMO's, but I'm such a huge fan of the KOTOR games that I won't be skipping ANYTHING in SWTOR and I'll be taking my time leveling.

• TicotinTicotin Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by SwampRob

I have to admit to being surprised by how many gamers seem to care nothing for the story.   I expected there to be some like that, but on a site full of gamers I did not expect so many.

Yeah, it's amazing how this genre has been overcome with kids that just want to get to the end, get their loot and brag about it or use it to rofl at others in PvP. My attitude isn't cynical, either...it's just what I've seen over and over.

I will say, though, that it doesn't help that WoW is the top MMORPG for the last several years. I'm not saying the game wasn't great, but it did severely lack storyline interest and storytelling, in general. That has sort of paved the way...

I won't be skipping anything in TOR. I'd like to experience a story the way I used to in FF7 and similar games or by reading books. (rather than spending a couple weeks reaching a level cap and the next year or two being bored in the main city listening to whiny kids spam trade chat)

IE: What's the rush, people?

8)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I hope to be able to, I'm always listening to music and probably wont care to listen to the dialogue that much.

Could've sworn there were only 4 classes that are mirrored on each side.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by JesterMester
    Nope, that's how I feel as well. Only game I ever bothered skipping quest text in was World of Warcraft, I don't need an Essay telling me to kill 30 trolls for their blood.

Well, it depends on how good quests are. If they are KTR (Kill Ten Rebels) kind, why should you ever want to hear a (bad) explanation about a "let's get you some grind and kill those 10 rebels that will respawn anyway in 3 minutes"...

Truth is, you should *live* the story, not have it feeded by NPCs.

• TyilinTyilin Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I hope to be able to, I'm always listening to music and probably wont care to listen to the dialogue that much.

Could've sworn there were only 4 classes that are mirrored on each side.

which would be 8 different class stories...

Aion, All Points Bulletin, ArchLord, Champions Online, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest II, Fallen Earth, Fantasy Earth Zero, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Metin 2, MU Online, RF Online, Ryzom, Silkroad Online, Star Trek Online, Star Wars Galaxies, The Chronicles of Spellborn and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Awaiting: FFXIV and SW:TOR

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

I keep reading posts of how people will say in advance that they will be skipping most/all the voice overs; or at the least hitting the space bar and fast-jumping to the text selections.

I can say for certain that I will not be skipping the voice overs until I've replayed that particular dialogue enough times to know in advance all the possible responses.     A lot of people laud the joys of exploration in MMOs.   For me, this is a part of that.   Not knowing what people (NPCs) are going to say, or how they will react.   I find this particularly exciting considering my responses directly affect that.   There are few MMOs where the choices I make determine what an NPC is going to say or do, or affect what following options I may or may not be offered.

Bioware has said this game is as large as KOTOR 3,4,5,6, and 7 put together.   Considering we're getting 8 unique class stories, which can within themselves be very dfferent on a run thru depending on choices made, I'm expecting a plethora of content.    I will certainly not feel the need to rush through any of this by skipping or speeding up voice overs.

I'm not trying to get on a soapbox here, I'm just saying this is how I intend to play.

Pressing the spacebar to avoid over-emphatic voice acting, clunky NPC animation and sometimes TVM dialogue doesn't mean 'caring nothing for story'. WE can follow the story and be immersed in it just as well from the text.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

That's because there is people who still don't understand there is a difference between offline gaming and MMORPGs.............

And I have to say you are not alone, many developers still want to appeal to the average gamer rather than the MMORPG player, that's why all the recent MMORPGs have been a failure.

I wrote in another thread that I am a huge fan of  Bioware and I own all of their titles dating back to Baldurs Gate.

I never skip any quest text or voiceover in their games because they are good story tellers and I enjoy their epic quests.

However as a MMO player I really don't care about meaningful quests, I just want to play with other people and do things together with others, spending 10 minutes reading a quest is just a waste of time, I prefer having a chat in group with my friends or strangers while we kill mobs in a dungeon................

So I amnot sure extensive storytelling is such a good  idea for an MMORPG, and this is seriously putting me off this title.

RIFT and GW2 are far ahead SWTOR on my preference list............even Cataclysm is above it

And for the records I would have preferred a Fantasy Game from Bioware not Star Wars.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by ste2000

That's because there is people who still don't understand there is a difference between offline gaming and MMORPGs.............

And I have to say you are not alone, many developers still want to appeal to the average gamer rather than the MMORPG player, that's why all the recent MMORPGs have been a failure.

I wrote in another thread that I am a huge fan of  Bioware and I own all of their titles dating back to Baldurs Gate.

I never skip any quest text or voiceover in their games because they are good story tellers and I enjoy their epic quests.

However as a MMO player I really don't care about meaningful quests, I just want to play with other people and do things together with others, spending 10 minutes reading a quest is just a waste of time, I prefer having a chat in group with my friends or strangers while we kill mobs in a dungeon................

So, you're a questtext skipper in MMO's. That's alright, each person has their own preferences, but not everybody skips the quest text in the MMORPG's they play, there are enough who don't, some even find that it helps them ignore the repetitiveness and monotony that is at the core of quests (fetch this, kill x of y etc), a monotony that is even more apparent with repeater quests like encountered in Aion, where you the quest text is completely irrelevant.

Besides, for people who don't care about quest text or story in MMO quests, Bioware still offers the option to skip all the dialogue besides the decision points in the quests. (And in contrast to other MMO's, grouping while questing is even more encouraged in SWTOR)

I myself won't skip the quest dialogues: I liked it and found it immersive in the other Bioware games, and I liked it in AoC.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Im surprised you think so many people care little for the game. Don't see that to be the case at all.

Not sure what you want us to say, I will play the game and se how it goes. I will not be ignoring anything the developers have put in game , I will be buying the game because it is developed by Bioware.