Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW: The hollow shell of a forgotten game

The current state of WoW is hideous. It is the most shallow and depressing form of an MMORPG I have seen to date. Let me sum up the entire game for you:

1) Level from 1-80. There is not real problem with this. Its your standard multiplayer quest-simulator found in most MMORPGs now days.

2) Endgame. Ding 80! w000t lolol, oh wait. Now what? We farm points through the two methods available.

A) PvE

a1) Queue your self in the RDF for about a week, rehearse button cycles against a spreadsheet, hope that random dice rolls go in your favor. Repeat.

a2) After obtaining enough points from fighting the same spreadsheet many times, join a guild to raid against bigger spreadsheets. Only there is a catch here. Now you rehearse button cycles against a spreadsheet while trying to obtain maximum efficency possible, while manuvering predefined obstacles while being told what to do by some random guy you've never met. Repeat until you have enough points to satisfy your e-peen.

B) PvP *Note: This is the more entertaining of the two, since you won't be fighting predetermined spreadsheets but a dynamic opponent that thinks for their selves. Though I am making some assumptions here.

b1) Queue for random predefined map and objectives to accumulate points. Repeat until enough points are had to procede.

b2) Queue for random predefined area for small-scale battles against fellow competitors for more points. *Note: This is the only part of the game that takes any player skill/knowledge. Repeat until you have enough points to satisfy your e-peen.

That about sums up World of Warcraft for you. Any one else see whats wrong here? Also...

*Note: Almost all of this can be completed with out coming in contact with another human being, the only exception being some higher end raids which do require a decent amount of co-operation with your guild. But nothing other than that.

Comments

• EtherniaEthernia Member Posts: 104

And this can't be applied to almost any other mmo out there?

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Wow has became a cow to be milked by blizz....

• Roadkill2000Roadkill2000 Member Posts: 32

Wow becomes stagnate really quick if thats all u do is farm badges or pvp honor, sometimes quite boring but if u find the right group of people to play with its fun for the most part. Its the back end of this expansion and Cataclysm is coming up soon so the new stuff will be coming up and for those of u that play this game as a means of approval by GS ur missing the game for what its supposed to be. Story is the biggest part of this game whether u agree with me or not i really dont mind or care. All games are repetative no matter what one u play, but its how u spend that time in game and who u spend it with thats the fun part. The reason Blizzard is implementing the 10 man raid loot being the same as 25 man for the Cataclsym xpac is for more people to enjoy the Story. Hardcore gamers are not the money making community for this game or many others. Keep the hardcores happy and u might get enough to hold up a profit.make the casuals happy and well... Sub numbers tell the truth bout that, do u think there is 9-11 million hardcore players for this game, i seriouly doubt it. Hardcore mentality for the most part ruins the community and im not on any game to be scolded by some nerd that has more time on his hands and lives for the mindset of Game being more important than Real life.

Applications for MMO guilds??? Sorry not that pathetic just yet

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

And what would be a good end game?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Wait ! There are actually still people playing WOW ?!

• Originally posted by Lobotomist

only around ten million or so I hear :p

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I'd have to say plenty of people can look past the mechanics and just have fun.

I'd also say it's the least forgotten game...ever.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112

Over half of the world's recorded population plays WoW.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

i quit wow today completely.....the community is no more.....never seen a game that had so many people and still you play alone trough the group system.

sad.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

If WoW is a forgotten game...then what does that make the other mmorpg's with much less subs and low populations? Oh, I see, players just sub up and leave their toon sitting in WoW as they play...what?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Hey OP, how on Earth have you been able to play over 1400 hours of Darkfall? That is insane.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

wow is far from forgotten....it loaded with people and still you cant FEEL the community.....sad :(

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by orlac

And what would be a good end game?

One that is different today then yesterday and tomorrow will be different again.. A world that is ever changing, and characters can actually have an effect on it and in it...  This follow the breadcrumbs themepark needs some serious tweaking..

• DricDric Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by professer

The current state of WoW is hideous. It is the most shallow and depressing form of an MMORPG I have seen to date. Let me sum up the entire game for you:

1) Level from 1-80. There is not real problem with this. Its your standard multiplayer quest-simulator found in most MMORPGs now days.

2) Endgame. Ding 80! w000t lolol, oh wait. Now what? We farm points through the two methods available.

A) PvE

a1) Queue your self in the RDF for about a week, rehearse button cycles against a spreadsheet, hope that random dice rolls go in your favor. Repeat.

a2) After obtaining enough points from fighting the same spreadsheet many times, join a guild to raid against bigger spreadsheets. Only there is a catch here. Now you rehearse button cycles against a spreadsheet while trying to obtain maximum efficency possible, while manuvering predefined obstacles while being told what to do by some random guy you've never met. Repeat until you have enough points to satisfy your e-peen.

B) PvP *Note: This is the more entertaining of the two, since you won't be fighting predetermined spreadsheets but a dynamic opponent that thinks for their selves. Though I am making some assumptions here.

b1) Queue for random predefined map and objectives to accumulate points. Repeat until enough points are had to procede.

b2) Queue for random predefined area for small-scale battles against fellow competitors for more points. *Note: This is the only part of the game that takes any player skill/knowledge. Repeat until you have enough points to satisfy your e-peen.

That about sums up World of Warcraft for you. Any one else see whats wrong here? Also...

*Note: Almost all of this can be completed with out coming in contact with another human being, the only exception being some higher end raids which do require a decent amount of co-operation with your guild. But nothing other than that.

I can certainly sympathize with your frustration with the state of the game.   The major mistakes I feel blizzard made with regards to gearing up were the RDF tool, removing attunement to heroics, making tier gear purchasable via emblems, and the heroic-mode dungeon drops.  However, the system is still pretty sweet (just wish more people wanted to do old content).

I have 8 80s and a bunch of other chars. and have been playing for over 5 years and I get bored all the time.  I haven't played the game for about 2 months, but intend to go back after a number of mediocre experiences with other mmos.  However, the only way I find I can go back is if I bring a few friends with me.  I'm looking forward to Cata, but will probably wait a few weeks before playing it to avoid feeling rushed to compete.

I'm an alt-guy.  As a result, I have never really had a single character that was an epic (heroic raid loot) badass.  As a result, I didn't excel in PvP and found it to be incredibly frustrating.

I was a big fan of vanilla pvp prior to the formation of battlegroups (not a vanilla elitist).  World PvP was alright, but I preferred the BGs contained on a single realm--people made names for themselves, and a community naturally formed. Now, with the addition of the battlegroups, name, faction and server changes, people abuse the afforded anonymity, treat eachother like shit, ragequit BGs, deliberately sabotage for a few laughs, etc.  

There is a ton to do in the game, but really only if you give up on trying to be the best PvPer, Raider, etc.  Find your niche, seek out others whose hobbies in game align with yours and try to enjoy it as best you can.  Or, just find another game (though it's kind of hard after being infected by the great gameplay offered by wow [at least for me]).

Or, if you find yourself feeling stale after you logout, you could try that one game:

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The bottom line is that the game is just old and Blizzard needs to show us their new mmo instead of milking WoW to the extreme.

• AmarandesAmarandes Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by professer

A) PvE

I see WoW as much more than just what you described above.

• professerprofesser Member Posts: 102

To give you some insight on where I'm coming from....

I'm one of thsoe ex-wow players from Vanilla wow. I have moved on since then, and now play hardcore-sandbox-pvp MMOs. I laugh at all the replies in this thread, other than a couple valid ones, and you simple mindedness!

Come look me up in Darkfall where I'll kill you, take your stuff, and keep killing you untill you log out. Or in Dawntide, or the next sandbox PvP games that happens.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

Many things you said can be comparible with other games, but I neever really liked how players focus on gear so much it drives away the fun aspect of the game. I played WoW from late BC around 3 years ago.

If you do focus on the fun aspect, you'll find it costs alot more and takes more time ><, the below sentences are opinions and made up on spot as a wild guess.

Lets say you are brand new and want to be a Draenai/Blood Elf Hunter. You spend around $30 or 35 on the battlechest, and $15 for 2 months of game time. You're brand new to the game so you probablly get to around level 30 or 40 if your good, 25-30 if your a rookie. You pay another $30 for 2 months and you get to around 55, probably getting used to the game. But you get anxious about the Death Knight class and buy WotLK for $20 or $25, whatever. You play the DK and tend to like him, and you already get to level 58 quick! Why bother spending 3 levels of your hunter when you can just quest in outland now?

So you do the outland quests after showing off in PvP BGs, spending another $30 after you hit level 68 or 70, and the last month may take you to 75 or 78 if you play for a few hours a day. Spend $30 and you're 80! Yaay...great, now you want to be a tank and you dont have good gear. So you get into a good guild, great friends and such. You learn about addons if you havent already, and use them. After around months of grinding gear to just start doing heroic dungeons, you spend more months grinding emblems to get gear for TotC. You want to do Naxxramas and Ulduar, after you saw some vids and it looks awesome...but no one else wants to.

So you just do TotC, after that you spend weeks trying to find a group for naxx but cant, and people call you a too low GS to do ICC. You do your daily dungeon, get bored, then remembered you have a hunter! You get on your hunter, level him up three levels, then reread paragraph 3 but shave off $15.

I made the mistake of getting my dk to 80 first just because he was closer then my mage.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

How is this a hollow shell? A new expansion is coming out, signifying growth and content. The playerbase has remained steady at 11 million or so. Tell me how that is a shell?

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by CyanSword

Originally posted by Lobotomist

only around ten million or so I hear :p

Currently listed as 11 million, but 5 million of which are Chinese.  When WoW was down for China only, the number of subscriptions dived down to under 6 million.

• echose7enechose7en Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by Toxilium

How is this a hollow shell? A new expansion is coming out, signifying growth and content. The playerbase has remained steady at 11 million or so. Tell me how that is a shell?

Who knows?. He's probebly just pissed his sandbox game isnt pulling the same numbers as wow does.

• birdofhermesbirdofhermes Member Posts: 7

I have to agree with the OP here on a number of things.

I've played WoW since the very end of 2005. Somehow it has kept my attention since. I've been heavy into the RP scene, heavy into the raiding scene, ventured somewhat into PvP (mostly WG and random BGs in WoTLK), had twinks for PvP, ect. So I'd consider myself pretty well rounded. 

I have to admit Blizzard was ingenious in introducing the achievement system to WoW. Although you still do not receive a GREAT reward for doing achievements, it's something else to pass the time. I guess I've come to realize that all I have done this entire expansion is pass the time trying to get as many of these as possible. In retrospect, even raiding was very bland in this expansion compared to the past. All the way to the Lich King, I found myself getting more and more tired of playing the game.

Maybe I'm just someone who needs more out of a game, but at this point, I'm done with WoW.

I look forward to what Cataclysm has to offer, but I'm starving for something to do in the meantime besides be a productive member of society.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Man, folks are trying really hard to miss the OP's point.

No, WoW isn't forgotten.

Yes, WoW is currently hollow, shallow, or any other synonym that would fit.

WoW was once a beautiful, vibrant game with a decent enough community and a pretty decent amount of depth, with fulfilling gameplay.  What's left now is little more than the molting, shell, or whatever leftovers are there once a thing has shed its skin.  Take a cicada for example; the cicada moves on after molting its shell, and what's left is a dry, hollow thing that resembles what used to inhabit it, but isn't there anymore.

The part that's forgotten is what WoW once was.  Perhaps a better way of putting it would be not that it's forgotten, but not even known by a very large portion of its current playerbase.

That's how I interpreted the OP, anyway.  Common sense people.  Use it!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Oh no a handfull of people are crying cause WoW doesn't hold up to there standards. What's that? I think I hear it. Ah yes, the other few million people that are currently playing DON'T CARE.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• chenhongjuanchenhongjuan Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by birdofhermes

I have to agree with the OP here on a number of things.

I've played WoW since the veryend of 2005. Somehow it has kept my attention since. I've been heavy into the RP scene, heavy into the raiding scene, ventured somewhat into PvP (mostly WG and random BGs in WoTLK), had twinks for PvP, ect. So I'd consider myself pretty well rounded. 

I have to admit Blizzard was ingenious in introducing the achievement system to WoW. Although you still do not receive a GREAT reward for doing achievements, it's something else to pass the time. I guess I've come to realize that all I have done this entire expansion is pass the time trying to get as many of these as possible. In retrospect, even raiding was very bland in this expansion compared to the past. All the way to the Lich King, I found myself getting more and more tired of playing the game.

Maybe I'm just someone who needs more out of a game, but at this point, I'm done with WoW.

I look forward to what Cataclysm has to offer, but I'm starving for something

http://www.eluxurysall.com

to do in the meantime besides be a productive member of society.

No, WoW isn't forgotten