Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC performance defies logic

Comments

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by Vercin

Also one thing I noticed is in your very first post you say "I have a nice brand new shinny graphics card with double the memory of the previous one". In a latter post you say that the previous card was a 128mb card that ran Conan just fine.....

Are you Running a 256mb card with conan and actually expecting to see anything at all?

Once more into the breach my friend!

My very first card back when I first joined AOC was a 128mb Nvidia card. It worked well until it melted but AOC was on 1.5 a reasonably steady release. In total during my time playing AOC I have been through 3 machines and four graphics cards.  All the time the machines and the graphics card have been improving quite dramatically, alas AOC performance has tended to go in the opposite direction.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

All that text and you could have posted your specs. Amazing.

What was the last cause - my performance problems were due to the limitations of my internet connection and bandwidth so said one 'guru' .  AOC needs a decent connection for the client to run well.  Fine I thought, upgrade to cable from a 4mb connection to 20mb connection - oh look no difference. Latency, lag spikes and rubberbanding still happening. Probably my ISP said the guru - but look at  Fallen Earth I said, it runs at 90fps with no lag, latency or rubberbanding and I am connecting to North American servers.  I then had a lengthy load of garbage about the way networks are configured could actually mean North American servers are closer than the ones Funcom use at their European data center.  I think I passed out at that point, oh well the 20mb connection helped all the other on-line games.

I am not posting my specs because I have been down that road before. Unless people want to start posting their CV's/résumé so I can see what industry experience you have and also supply a few references so I can establish you are a defacto 'guru' and not some muppett in disguise who thinks they know everyting - it  just ain't happening.  Suggestions such as running in window mode I will take and try, but I am more interested in the reasoning as to why the AOC client doesn't appear to behave like other game clients and follow the same logic.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I've upgraded twice since AoC has been out.  Once from an old ATI X1950, to a Radeon 3870, then to Rad 5770.  Each time, I've noticed an increase in performance.  What surprises me though, with this last upgrade, is that this 2+ year old game doesn't provide rock-solid framerates, compared to... well... every other game I play; many of them provided far better eye candy than AoC offers.  Bioshock 2, for example, ran great on the 3870, and runs perfect 62 fps on the 5770 at 1680x1050 maxxed.  AoC runs 20's in dx-9 with some settings lowered.

but back to the OP... unless AoC is automatically switching your new card to Direct-x 10 settings, I'm not sure what you could be experiencing.

Originally posted by Robsolf

I've upgraded twice since AoC has been out.  Once from an old ATI X1950, to a Radeon 3870, then to Rad 5770.  Each time, I've noticed an increase in performance.  What surprises me though, with this last upgrade, is that this 2+ year old game doesn't provide rock-solid framerates, compared to... well... every other game I play; many of them provided far better eye candy than AoC offers.  Bioshock 2, for example, ran great on the 3870, and runs perfect 62 fps on the 5770 at 1680x1050 maxxed.  AoC runs 20's in dx-9 with some settings lowered.

but back to the OP... unless AoC is automatically switching your new card to Direct-x 10 settings, I'm not sure what you could be experiencing.

I have a hard time understanding how a 2year+ game struggles performance wise, yet something off the shelf yesterday can run without issue.   I would half expect the new games to be the ones with the issues and the old ones should just improve, or not run at all.

You can take a 2year+ game like Crysis, which I tend to use as a benchmark, and the difference in performance for me is there no messing. In fact I have fallen in love with Crysis all over again because it looks so nice.  Personally apart from version 1.5 of AOC I have never been impressed with performance. Even when it ran ok, it ran sub-par to everything else and considering I have a huge 30gb lump of local data I kind of wonder exactly what it is doing.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by fallenlords

Originally posted by Robsolf

I have a hard time understanding how a 2year+ game struggles performance wise, yet something off the shelf yesterday can run without issue.   I would half expect the new games to be the ones with the issues and the old ones should just improve, or not run at all.

You can take a 2year+ game like Crysis, which I tend to use as a benchmark, and the difference in performance for me is there no messing. In fact I have fallen in love with Crysis all over again because it looks so nice.  Personally apart from version 1.5 of AOC I have never been impressed with performance. Even when it ran ok, it ran sub-par to everything else and considering I have a huge 30gb lump of local data I kind of wonder exactly what it is doing.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

I am not one to say AoC has no performance issues, but you guys are comparing AoC's performance to single player games. Bioshock, Crysis ; com'on there is no comparing  single player games to MMOs. For the most part my machine runs AoC as well as can be expected. I have a dated HD 4850 512mb but it is backed by an i7 920 cpu and 6GB of system ram. However atm I am playing on XP so the ram really isn't helping out much.

I can run AoC  in DX9 with  the  view distance and all video options maxed out with AAx2 in 1600 X 1200 and almost never drop below 30FPS. Usually I am playing in the 40's. I have a  CRT 21 inch viewsonic p225f monitor.

The lag spikes and freezes are a real issue, but they don't happen to me all the time. I can logon and play for several days and never see a lag spike or a game crash. Then other days I may get periodic spikes until I log off. Performance in that area is real inconsistent for me.

I would describe the foundation of AoC not as broken but a little bit wobbly. For me the performance issues are not gamebreaking, but then it is not smooth sailing either. Rumor has it that Funcom is working under the hood  getting the game engine tightened up some. So we will see how that goes.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Why don't you just post your goddamn ATI model?

You can make this stuff work perfectly if you just let us help you ... by giving us all the info.

You are sending a surgeon in an operating room with a scalpel without him knowing what to cut out?!

All this aside ... you can make AOC work like a charm with ATI (until this day I still don't know why users are complaining about ati and aoc so much, coz it allways seemed to work for me after a bit of tweeking).

I am running dual ATI HD2900XTX in cx with Q6600 oc 3.2  and got a serious boost switching from Vista 32 to Vista 64 and just now to Win7 64 (got 8gigs of DDR2 ram crammed in; overkill maybe, don't care, got them lying around).

Aside from the usual lag spikes (which have nothing to do with ones system but is to blame on funcom) this game runs smooth like a baby's bottom.

Now post your freaking model ffs!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Aercus

I am running a 32bit OS

*snip*

Your bottleneck is lack of RAM, not GPU power it seems. I saw a marked increase in performance when I went from 4 to 8 gb RAM, 3 gb is hardly enough anymore, and never was for AoC to get good performance.

I ran it fine with 2 gigs of RAM, Vista 32-bit Home Premium, a 9800 GTX+ and a freakin' 2.71 GHz Dual-Core AMD processor. Back in early 2009, though I can't remember if I had everything on max (I had DX10 on for sure, though, and I believe I had most things on higher settings).

Maybe I just got lucky.

OP: I'm on the "Technology is Crazy and Don't Make No Bit of Sense Sometimes" boat.

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

I am not one to say AoC has no performance issues, but you guys are comparing AoC's performance to single player games. Bioshock, Crysis ; com'on there is no comparing  single player games to MMOs. For the most part my machine runs AoC as well as can be expected. I have a dated HD 4850 512mb but it is backed by an i7 920 cpu and 6GB of system ram. However atm I am playing on XP so the ram really isn't helping out much.

I can run AoC  in DX9 with  the  view distance and all video options maxed out with AAx2 in 1600 X 1200 and almost never drop below 30FPS. Usually I am playing in the 40's. I have a  CRT 21 inch viewsonic p225f monitor.

The lag spikes and freezes are a real issue, but they don't happen to me all the time. I can logon and play for several days and never see a lag spike or a game crash. Then other days I may get periodic spikes until I log off. Performance in that area is real inconsistent for me.

I would describe the foundation of AoC not as broken but a little bit wobbly. For me the performance issues are not gamebreaking, but then it is not smooth sailing either. Rumor has it that Funcom is working under the hood  getting the game engine tightened up some. So we will see how that goes.

I have heard this argument before about comparing an MMO to a single player game. But then I hear you also can't compare AOC to like WoW, Global Agenda, Fallen Earth etc - the graphics just don't compare.  So you have no comparison, AOC having it's own engine as well - certainly no comparison.   Personally I don't agree - I think you can gauge performance and take the MMO part into consideration. 

I have 30gb of local stuff - what does that do? Playing a single instance of Tortage Nightime should give me a good indicator of overall performance. Lag, latency can be compared to other games.   Overall graphics performance can be compared - as somebody else stated there are other games that offer better eye candy than AOC now.   If you are running them on maxed out settings at a decent frame rate yes you have to factor in the MMO part of AOC - but then you also have to factor in age of the game. It's over 2 years old and still has performance issues for some people.

To my mind Funcom could do more with regards to performance - fixed FPS client, more diagnostics, low textures that work, optimal settings option.  They have done nothing to address performance since I have been a customer.  They have only reacted when performance issues have impacted on all users and their hand has been forced.  Which I wouldn't mind if they say focussed on bug fixing, but there focus is on what? Fluff.   People are left to find their own solutions and their own workarounds.  AOC users have become quite good at that over time, but to my mind they don't put enough pressure on Funcom to change. 

• swollenwabitswollenwabit Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

I have heard this argument before about comparing an MMO to a single player game. But then I hear you also can't compare AOC to like WoW, Global Agenda, Fallen Earth etc - the graphics just don't compare.  So you have no comparison, AOC having it's own engine as well - certainly no comparison.   Personally I don't agree - I think you can gauge performance and take the MMO part into consideration. 

I have 30gb of local stuff - what does that do? Playing a single instance of Tortage Nightime should give me a good indicator of overall performance. Lag, latency can be compared to other games.   Overall graphics performance can be compared - as somebody else stated there are other games that offer better eye candy than AOC now.   If you are running them on maxed out settings at a decent frame rate yes you have to factor in the MMO part of AOC - but then you also have to factor in age of the game. It's over 2 years old and still has performance issues for some people.

To my mind Funcom could do more with regards to performance - fixed FPS client, more diagnostics, low textures that work, optimal settings option.  They have done nothing to address performance since I have been a customer.  They have only reacted when performance issues have impacted on all users and their hand has been forced.  Which I wouldn't mind if they say focussed on bug fixing, but there focus is on what? Fluff.   People are left to find their own solutions and their own workarounds.  AOC users have become quite good at that over time, but to my mind they don't put enough pressure on Funcom to change. 

The amount of hate in you for funcom is funny to watch. :)

Originally posted by swollenwabit

The amount of hate in you for funcom is funny to watch. :)

I just find things annoying - Bag of the Mammoth rider has been missing now since the new claim window was introduced, must be around 1.6/1.7.  So roll a new toon - no bag even though it's suppose to be available. As we all know a bigger bag is always useful when you first roll.   The bag doesn't show on claim and you have to petition a GM to create it. They then they don't answer by the time you logout, 'we are experiencing a high number of petitions at the moment'  (what - there are like 20 people logged into the server).  So you end up dumping stuff you would of ordinarily sold and then go through the stupid offline petition loop - login update petition,GM doesn't answer by the time you logout. Around the loop you go until you say screw it I don't need the flipping bag.  

All of this worked before they had the bright idea of adding the claim window, which has added absolutely zilch to the game and is an extra bit of fluff that just wasn't needed.  The problem has been reported umpteen times and we are on 2.0.6 and no fix.  If things don't get fixed within a few releases we all know they turn into features. 

Again these sort of issues don't effect everybody, only those that are entitled to the free Mammoth. So due to that, the issue probably will never get fixed.   Things like this fuel my hate - it worked, they broke it, it's stays broke.  The GD only fixes things that impact a 'significant number of users' which in effect means everybody.  All the way down the road to my mind it's just sloppy workmanship and people allow them to get away with it.  Is a bag a big deal? No, but it's all about standards.  You let them get away with stuff like that and before long you end up with what you have at the moment, a game that is bugged up to the eyeballs with tons of minor issues. Funcom even feeling like they don't have to react any more to any problem if it isn't major. Quality slides, the game slides, the minor issues that you don't think are important just put off a perspective customer or a returning player.  Lost track of the times I have heard AOC and potential in the same sentence, the users see it but the developers don't for some bizarre reason.

Bang, latency of 4844 today - only logged in for a few minutes. Appears my resource database is possibly corrupt according to the patcher and a check needs to be performed.  I take it I follow the same advice as usual and just ignore it. Is that ever going to be fixed? My beard was blond on character selection (bugs the hell out of me) and FPS which was 50 running in window mode the other day is now down to 8.  Switch to PVP/Raid up to 30fps - but looks rubbish.   Hit a crocodile with an oar makes no noise (use to make a noise, been playing long enough to know it should make a noise).  Sadur's head seem to levitate and when I got some new armor my hair bleeds through my helmet, regardless of graphics settings.  All of which is in an area that they have  'optimised'.

In an alternate universe where a game called Fallen Earth exists.  Found a bug, reported it.  Got an email back saying thanks, the bug has been replicated and will be resolved in the next scheduled release.  Release came, boy oh boy the bug was fixed. Not a big bug, minor bug, insignificant bug really.  But I was shocked, just not use to it at all.  Bugs that get fixed.  It can happen and it does happen, just not it appears at Funcom. Why not?

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

Given you used a logical term "alternative universe" I just have to use another one to describe FE. Given its current sub numbers and attention it has (goes down to butthurt tranca and you), it would be more true to say it subsists than exists :)

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Gdemami

Ah, and no specifics given out yet apart from the surprise - ATI card. [snip]

It is the ATI drivers having issues with the rest of the world, not the other way round. Some people like forgetting how famous the quality of ATI drivers is...

So yeah, there are indeed some shite softwere engineers around but I bet there are more of them in this thread than sitting at Funcom.

[Mod Edit]

Funny how you say they're famous for bad drivers when I've never had any issues these last two years with my card, at all. To be honest, I had more trouble with Nvidia drivers than I've ever had with ATI. Sure, ATI had bad drivers 10 years ago, but that's simply not the case today or even within the last half decade. Sure a select few games could have less than par performance, same can be said about Nvidia. To think otherwise is simply ignorant.

• latinuslatinus Member UncommonPosts: 19

Hmmm youre problem sounds to me like the card doesnt go in to 3D mode thus working on very low specs ( 2D, low 3D) otherwise you would see the change while playing with various configuration options ie...shadows etc...

or

even reaching the heat threshold and downclocking...

This is a common issue i found usually related when playing things in windows mode (although full screen could produce the same effects in some situations) either the aplication doesnt detect the 3D aplication or it downclocks when it reaches the heat threshold...mostly in Win 7 OS...

You should check parameters in the " overdrive" menu of the catalyst while the client is active - or use

"RivaTuner", "MSI afterburner" or any other tool...

Originally posted by nihce

Given you used a logical term "alternative universe" I just have to use another one to describe FE. Given its current sub numbers and attention it has (goes down to butthurt tranca and you), it would be more true to say it subsists than exists :)

No idea of the subs, just know there are more people around than in AOC. FE guys seem to fix bugs and implement features people actually want.  There are events and all sorts of things happening, compared to AOC the game feels alive.

• Catriona85Catriona85 Member Posts: 144

No idea of the subs, just know there are more people around than in AOC. FE guys seem to fix bugs and implement features people actually want.  There are events and all sorts of things happening, compared to AOC the game feels alive.

Major differences between FE and AoC. Fallen Earth devs actually play and understand their own game.  FE GM's are a simple /tell away. No ridiculous 4 hour queues as AoC has. Even when the AoC servers are deserted. Of course FE devs actually fix bugs. How long has the hox hair bug been around in aoc. Or broken sieges or comboskipping ?

Tranca [RUS corp]

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

It's kinda weird in performance for me too.

My PC's specs are: E8400, 2GB Ram, ATI 4870 1GB Ram, Windows XP SP3

At 1440 x 900 windowed i get 90 - 120 FPS.

At 1680 x 1050 fullscreen i get 15 - 25 FPS.

I guess the performance difference has to do more with fullscreen / windowed mode than the small resolution difference between the two. Good thing is that i prefer windowed anyway.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

Yeah I can get decent performance from AOC when running in windowed mode, also when I install the third party apps like AOCQS I get a performance boost.  So I am a little at a loss to see the issue is hardware related when these factors are taken into consideration.   More likely the client code is fubar and Age of Workarounds is in full effect.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

it's funny how, even after you claim you enjoy FE so much, you haven't posted even once on the FE forumsection yet you still keep posting here.

Seems like your logic-defying hatred for AoC is larger than your passion for FE, eh? image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by cyphers

it's funny how, even after you claim you enjoy FE so much, you haven't posted even once on the FE forumsection yet you still keep posting here.

Seems like your logic-defying hatred for AoC is larger than your passion for FE, eh? image

What is there to post about on FE? It's a great game and does what it says on the tin.  Don't have any issues with FE, I think it's value for money and I hope it continues to flourish. I have voiced my support for the game on other forums, but contrary to popular belief I don't actually post that much on forums unless I have an issue.  Hence the reason I am always posting about AOC - because it's a bugged up bag of bolts.

I don't think AOC is value for money. In fact I feel cheated. Lack of updates, lack of bug fixes, lack of any sort of performance enhancements, lack of in-game events, lack of community communication, lack of listening to users - plus a whole host of others reasons all fuels my hatred of not AOC but Funcom. It's not logic defying at all, they have failed to deliver on so many levels that it makes me wonder why they are still in business.  What is logic defying is why so many people will stand by a company, and even defend a company, that are so obviously bad at connecting with their users.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

a system is NOT only about it's stats, it's also about it's "state"...

people tend to forget that.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@Fallenlords: It's very simple, people have different mindsets, some people actually talk and post about games they like and enjoy to play and when they have a question or problem that they're looking for a solution for they post about that, and other people post when they have an issue or problem but not to seek a solution but to vent their hatred, dissatisfaction or frustration.

It's clear that you belong to the last group if you find posting to talk about a game you enjoy useless. Posting for you is if I follow your line of reasoning as you exlain it, purely for the satisfaction it gives you to bash AoC and Funcom and thus channel your hatred/dissatisfaction with it. So, not so much for answers or solutions or even reasonable debate, but mostly for emotional relief.

Well, in that case I'd say, go ahead all you like image. Not really my thing, but what others do for satisfaction and relief is their thing. Personally, I'd rather post about the games I like than being stuck in the past and dwell on the games I didn't enjoy.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Fallen Earth I like, it's a great game and they seem to be doing things right.  It isn't bug free but then it also doesn't defy logic.  I switch off options in that game that I think will impact on performance guess what? They do impact and around the ranges I would 'expect'. Same happens in things like Global Agenda and Aion. Overall 99% of games function as expected not including AOC.  When they don't function as expected it's normally down to an issue, not multiple issues or a ten page tut or messing with graphics settings.  Even if I buy a game and find out I don't particularly like it, I don't complain if intent is there from the developer.  By 'intent' I mean passion/interest/a willingness to push the game forward for the benefit of the users.  All the things lacking at Funcom.

AOC performance defies logic is perhaps more of a statement.  But then up leaps the smoke screen, it's down to your hardware. Just because somebody in the world is not having the same issue.  Yet at the same time we see people come forward to say hold on, something isn't quite right here.  Some things don't add up.  But of course while people continue to argue between themselves about things like this Funcom just sit there whistling and twiddling their thumbs.  There is no call to arms, there is no push from the users to improve the game. If anything the majority of AOC users sit on their hands.  They are content with the breadcrumbs that are fed to them.  When I complained that a patch introduced nothing but 'benches' people were pleading with me not to make a fuss because they didn't want their benches to be taken away.   They saw the addition of benches as some massive win in AOC (mainly for RP).  That is how pathetic things have gone.  

Funcom took a character I love, then they butchered the lore and the settings.  Turning what should of been a game based on steel and PVP, into a Harry Potter WoW type PVE clone thing that doesn't really appeal to anybody - even the fans of Robert E Howard. They based an entire expansion on a couple of lines from one story, not because they wanted to present a new and exciting world to their existing users. But because they wanted to appeal to the Koreans and they found a reference they could use in their favor.  All through the history of this game nothing has been done with the current user base in mind.  In a word it's a sin what they have done to the game and a further sin that the existing user base allow it to happen wtihout being vocal.  The only illogical thing I see with this whole scenario of AOC and Funcom is the fact people defend something I think is indefensible.  Funcom are allowed to be rubbish because they produced a few good games back in the day, because their new game may or may not be quite interesting. 

So overall don't feel the need to be vocal if people are doing their job.  Perhaps it is nice every now and again to say keep up the good work.  But I would do that via email or completing a satisfaction survey and giving them good marks.    Depends a lot on the community and what sort of in-game interactions you have (you actually see GM's in Fallen Earth and if you are like me you try to blag gear off them).

• AkrninesAkrnines Member Posts: 12

The engine is pathetic and heavily CPU bound, not to mention all the various driver issues with ATI. (Don't know about Nvidia)

A monster video card isn't all that's required.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Akrnines

The engine is pathetic and heavily CPU bound, not to mention all the various driver issues with ATI. (Don't know about Nvidia)

A monster video card isn't all that's required.

No, Nvidia runs it fine, the ATI issue have been in since launch.

For me is it hardest on the GPU, only game I played that makes my6 480 GTX sound like a Messerschmitt. But that is in Dx 10, Dx 9 runs fine.

I wouldn't call the engine pathetic however, some games (like Vanguard) have a lot worse. I wouldn't call it good either of course, it looks pretty but my computer is state of the art and while it runs it OK it should run it splendid instead. That is still in Dx 10, Dx 9 is no problem for me maxed out, it even run great on my old machine in that.

• baaliobaalio Member Posts: 41

Running windowed mode I get a massive performance increase, 50fps with settings all maxed out and a high view distances at a high res etc.  Client still defies logic to my mind, I switch off particles and performance dips, same with switching off grass, dropping shadow levels etc.  Dropping the quality of the settings actually makes things worse, go from high to low - worse performance.

Windowed mode has resolved the problem, many thanks for the suggestion.  Doesn't really explain the issue but there you go, can't complain too much or I will get a bad rep  image.

Windowed mode uses your desktop settings for all kinds of things (res, gamma, etc...)

If it works perfectly in windowed mode but stutters in full screen, there is something setting-wise causing the problem, as whatever the setting is when the game isn't running is being trumped.

This discussion has been closed.