Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape is dead.

FrankyDragonFrankyDragon Member Posts: 31

Hello,

I just wanted to write a few comments about Runescape.

Runescape is a quite unique MMO, it has a huge F2P player base. I played Runescape from 2004-2009, near enough everyday. In my opinion Runescape was one of the best MMORPG's from 2004-2007, I say it was the best up until 2007 because they updated so much stuff on the game, it kind of killed it for me. The took away the ability to trade un equal amounts, so this meant I could not merchant. They also took away the original form of PVP, which again in my opinion was amazing, you could team up with friends, lure people, just basically look for people to kill. They have now updated the graphics to the point that it doesn't feel like the same game. Jagex have made the game so easy to play. I remember when I signed up it took me a while to get to a decent level, these days people seem to be able to do it within days/weeks due to the easy EXP rate. They have also made it so easy to gain money which means you can aquire better armour and this mean you will obviously be able to gain levels faster!

I still log on to Runescape from time to time to talk to old friends.

Runescape is good if your looking for a reasonbly simple game.

5/10

My name is Frank :)

Comments

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

Runescape is far from dieing, though it is on the verge of becoming less and less unique.

I actually tolerated the trading and pvp updates in 2007, after all, it would be better to have an RS with them then just nuke the entire game cause of gold sellers. My main problem, however, was pvp, magic being far imbalenced even with buffs, and the economy in general.

In PvP, you always saw four things, a person in rune/prosolyte/barrows with an abyssal whip, full Dharoks, Bandos armor and Godsword/Whip, or Black Dhide crossbow user. If you were to go in multipvp areas you'd actually see mages which isnt a shocker for their spells. It got so boring for me to battle when the game was based on luck. I defeated a level 128 when I was around 109 and I used half my inventory.

As for magic, its only combat usages are slayer dart barrows, Daggonoths (Hardly anyone does it anymore.) and multi-player pvp. I was always a magic person in any MMO, but I hated seeing that I can use full Zuriels and cast Miasmic/Ice/Blood barrage while mage potted, and always lose to any meleer or ranger or they will run away from me cause I cannot teleblock in ancients. If you want to make money using combat magic, you'll make just enough to pay for the runes and food, or even lose in the process then you would using melee or ranged (Whose bolts can be reaquired). I was kicked out of 4 GWD teams in a row when they saw me use magic.

And the big bad in my opinion was the economy. Ever since the Grand Exchange, everyone has been focused on making money, which means if you want to train any skill at all, you'll need money or years of time. Before the economy was less focused on gold, mostly just pvp and armor (along with party hats which was focused on gold.) Now, if you plan on being anywhere in the top, you'll need to interact with millions of players and waste hours getting gold little by little while the people who are much more meaner or lower leveled can get big amounts of gold bulk by bulk. The bad economy was what led to people buying gold and thus, the removal of certain things.

Oracle Fefe (former Runescaper from 2003-2009/10)

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Runescape, to the eyes of a self-centered egotastic, hedonistic individual is alive. Runescape to the eyes of a dedicated MMORPG fanatic, the eyes of a MMORPG veteran is dying from malignant cancer. Dying, not dead. Not yet.

• FrankyDragonFrankyDragon Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Blissey

Runescape, to the eyes of a self-centered egotastic, hedonistic individual is alive. Runescape to the eyes of a dedicated MMORPG fanatic, the eyes of a MMORPG veteran is dying from malignant cancer. Dying, not dead. Not yet.

My reply to both of you...

I was saying in my eyes Runescape is dead, its no longer magic like it used to be for me.

PVP is completely pathetic, people using nerdy weapons that take no skill to kill anyone.

I am currently level 126 on Runescape (highest level before summoning) but like I said I quit after the trade limit and PVP was removed.

I don't play on ever levelling Summoning, or player competitively for that matter. 

Jagex has made Runescape into some childish game where everyone can be amazing.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

That's right. The essence, the crucial, the all important aspect of RS has long been dead. Even the high score tally is messed up.

Other than that, RS just becoming more and more generic, and Jagex is trying ever so hard to copy "popular" MMORPG games, only to fail in the eyes of a well-rounded MMORPG player.

Here is an official Jagex announcement that was published on their news page 7 years ago:

29th January 2003 - Runescape romance turns real

Yet more wedding bells! So Runescape rings DO have special properties.

"I started playing 8 months ago...The last thing I was looking for was another relationship, especially via an internet game. But find one I did, or it found me..."

Lady Pooh met Topcat0711 whilst playing Runescape, and being more charming than the seven hundred odd Topcats that had preceeded him, they soon became trading partners. An act of chivalry took the relationship to a whole new level.

"One day he'd won a stake duel... because of the winnings I teasingly said 'hey wanna be my rs bf?' not meaning it... But after that we joked about it and kept talking, until we fell in love through Runescape and got to know each other better."

Lady Pooh, who hails from Ohio in the USA, is now set to become Mrs.Topcat0711. She even flew over to his native Australia, swapping server-lag for jet-lag to be with her new love.

"I've been here in Australia for 6 weeks now and we get along great! We are making long term plans and its all thanks to you! We just wanted you to know that you created more than just a game...it's a connection to life and happiness." So it's official then: Cupid does exist. As an NPC in Runescape.

You won't see these news in the Jagex news archive because for some unknown reason they removed them. Maybe so that people wouldn't contrast the old, friendly game staff with the new corporate one?

But of course, no matter what crap they pull out, Rs would still be known as the Kid's MMO, the poor man's MMO, or a the "standard starter" MMO in the industry.

Thats the second case of marrage through gaming I've ever seen! It makes me quite happy when things like that happen.

I have to admit myself. I liked Andrew Gower being the CEO. After all, he did create the game along with Paul and I believe a third person whom I cannot remember. Handing over the status to a casual worker may have let some hopes of players down, though there were nice updates he did himself.

Once the combat system feels more...advanced and the economy changes to not always focus on gold, I think I might actually be complied to come back to play the game.

These days I wouldn't be surprised if getting "E-Married" would be breaking a rule.

Jagex are not a good nor friendly gaming company.

I'm gunna try there new Sci Fi MMORPG "Stellar Dawn", I don't doubt it will fail but its worth a try.

I've signed up for a beta key, but we'll see.

It almost angers me that some old MMO's have got to this stage....

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by FrankyDragon

These days I wouldn't be surprised if getting "E-Married" would be breaking a rule.

I'm gunna try there new Sci Fi MMORPG "Stellar Dawn", I don't doubt it will fail but its worth a try.

It is already against the rules of the game to ask another player to be your " boyfriend / Girlfriend." LOL image

http://www.runescape.com/rules/rule_inappropriate_language.ws#what

3. Is it okay to ask for a boyfriend or girlfriend in the games?

No, that is solicitation and is not allowed at all. This is to ensure the safety of all our players.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by deviliscious

It is already against the rules of the game to ask another player to be your " boyfriend / Girlfriend." LOL image

No, that is solicitation and is not allowed at all. This is to ensure the safety of all our players.

with the majority of the players being either teens or 'tweens' its probably just as well, Rs has a very young age group which means they have to take precautions that perhaps in other games, are largely unnecessary (though i wonder sometimes!) im assured by most of the females (?) i've encountered in games, that the asl thing is about as annoying as it gets...

Originally posted by Phry

with the majority of the players being either teens or 'tweens' its probably just as well, Rs has a very young age group which means they have to take precautions that perhaps in other games, are largely unnecessary (though i wonder sometimes!) im assured by most of the females (?) i've encountered in games, that the asl thing is about as annoying as it gets...

Yes, since the removal of the 13+ age restriction, and the implementation of the parents control dashboard , they have made thier primary focus targeting of  younger children through " child saftey award" promotion at e3 and mini clip advertising.  Jagex themselves called Runescape a " Junior MMO", so it is not surprising they must also have to protect the children from themselves in this game.

I think Jagex have gone well over the top with a lot of their rules, they aren't a fair company.

I think their a bad gaming company.

I think the large majority of p2p in Runescape are 14-19 year old.

I think Jagex have gone well over the top with a lot of their rules, they aren't a fair company.

LOL they are mostly bots.. ROFL. Go to bandits and kill all the bandits. See how long they stand there. Go to Damis lair and kill all the skeletons and see how long they stand there. Go to vines and count the bots.. go to gem rocks.. and so on and so on..

The 14- 19 yr olds are also more likely to bot and sell accounts. image They hope some stupid kid will beg their parents for money or abuse their credit card.  for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yIQSljpSg

LOL they are mostly bots.. ROFL. Go to bandits and kill all the bandits. See how long they stand there. Go to Damis lair and kill all the skeletons and see how long they stand there. Go to vines and count the bots.. go to gem rocks.. and so on and so on..

The 14- 19 yr olds are also more likely to bot and sell accounts. image They hope some stupid kid will beg their parents for money or abuse their credit card.  for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yIQSljpSg

HAHA thanks for this reply, I have to totally agree but RS has always had a botting problem like most major MMO's. I think everyone has heard of "TIMMY" getting hacked, that video makes me laugh everytime because the news are trying to make Jagex look like the bad guy although "TIMMY" broke one of the rules that actually made Jagex make Runescape shit.

I think Jagex and many other gaming companies are stupid in some ways, if someone is botting or buying in game currency by and large they are going to be a paying member so if the gaming company has a paying member why ban them and lose their business but I guess rules are rules.

Personally I have no problem with people buying in game currency for real life money because I have made a lot of money out of it from many different games but I dislike the "Chinese gold farmers" for botting the hell out of games and effecting the economy.

Oh and what you said about bandits, I kind of disagree, when I was getting 99 attk, str and def I would always turn my private chat off and be on MSN stuff, I can proudly say I have never botted.

• ArtGArtG Member Posts: 2

I'd drop trade back in the days of classic. When it was alot harder to play.. When you didn't need 33 magic to complete the quest to get Rune stuff.. When everything was could b traded.. I know someone in real life, with an account with a name you can't even use anymore.. aka.. Sexymom. This game use to be so fun.. What ever happened to it.. I quit a LONG time ago, about 2 years or so now.. Level 99, I think. Most of the level was with RS Classic, which the free people can't even play anymore.. I miss that game, and I think everyone loved it at one point in time.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Hello,

Runescape is a quite unique MMO, it has a huge F2P player base. I played Runescape from 2004-2009, near enough everyday. In my opinion Runescape was one of the best MMORPG's from 2004-2007, I say it was the best up until 2007 because they updated so much stuff on the game, it kind of killed it for me. The took away the ability to trade un equal amounts, so this meant I could not merchant. They also took away the original form of PVP, which again in my opinion was amazing, you could team up with friends, lure people, just basically look for people to kill. They have now updated the graphics to the point that it doesn't feel like the same game. Jagex have made the game so easy to play. I remember when I signed up it took me a while to get to a decent level, these days people seem to be able to do it within days/weeks due to the easy EXP rate. They have also made it so easy to gain money which means you can aquire better armour and this mean you will obviously be able to gain levels faster!

5/10

that sums up the way i feel about it.  loved it from 04-07.  i don't think it's dead though, but it is dying.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

I dont think this game will ever die the kids are to crazy about it well to be honest I even have a character in this game and it was the first MMORPG ive played eversince it looked liked a kids drawing on ms-paint well it was also due to the lack that there were no mmos here before but as soon as the first arrived I dropped this and moved on I just dont understand why in this modern age of free to play games they would still play this garbage 

Originally posted by ArtG

I'd drop trade back in the days of classic. When it was alot harder to play.. When you didn't need 33 magic to complete the quest to get Rune stuff.. When everything was could b traded.. I know someone in real life, with an account with a name you can't even use anymore.. aka.. Sexymom. This game use to be so fun.. What ever happened to it.. I quit a LONG time ago, about 2 years or so now.. Level 99, I think. Most of the level was with RS Classic, which the free people can't even play anymore.. I miss that game, and I think everyone loved it at one point in time.

I love classic, its a real game :)

I still have my classic account from back in the day, in other words I've kept it members so it doesn't get deactivated.

Originally posted by Tazlor

Hello,

5/10

that sums up the way i feel about it.  loved it from 04-07.  i don't think it's dead though, but it is dying.

If Runescape was renamed, it would make me happy.

Originally posted by thecrap

I dont think this game will ever die the kids are to crazy about it well to be honest I even have a character in this game and it was the first MMORPG ive played eversince it looked liked a kids drawing on ms-paint well it was also due to the lack that there were no mmos here before but as soon as the first arrived I dropped this and moved on I just dont understand why in this modern age of free to play games they would still play this garbage 

Like I said, I only think it is dead.

It has many years to go yet, without a doubt.

Runescape just isn't Runescape anymore.

I am kind of excited to see their latest production Stellar Dawn.

I have applied for a beta key.

Originally posted by thecrap

Like I said, I only think it is dead.

It has many years to go yet, without a doubt.

Runescape just isn't Runescape anymore.

I am kind of excited to see their latest production Stellar Dawn.

I have applied for a beta key.

Ooh! I have completely forgot about that game! Tell me, is there anything about it thats leaked or something? I'd like to find out about it and see if I'd want to apply too.

All I know is that Stellar Dawn is Sci Fi MMO and like I said I've signed up for a beta key :)

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Unfortunately, they fell to the old addage: "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely."

In the final months of 2007 Jagex went on a power trip. They tried to control prices and got rid of the one truely great aspect of the game, PKing.

They claimed it was to "save the game", but, in the process ruined it for most everyone who played.