Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone running the beta on a computer with similar specs?

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160@ 1.80 Ghz, 1803 Mhz, 2 cores

RAM: 3 gigs DDR2 (will upgrade to 4 gigs)

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT  (I have an unopened Nvidia GTS250 as well but I think they're the same card, it came with my Nvidia 3Dvision monitor/glasses)

According to Can I Run It, I can't, but they've also told me I can't run a lot of other games that I've been able to run smooth, like Batman Arkham Asylum. I did run the benchmark at the low resolution option and got a 2k+ score. 

I know my system is pretty fail but was wondering if anyone has a setup close to mine (mostly in ram/processor) that can tell me how FFXIV performed for them.

Comments

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

i run it just fine..... my specs are in my sig. CPU-Z

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

My advice?  Run the official Final Fantasy XIV benchmark.  Yes, there's actually an application custom-built to FF XIV to help you determine if your computer can run it or not.   I scored about 2600, myself, and it's tolerable but not silky (particularly the GUI, which can drag at times).

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

If I recall correctly 32bit OS's dont handle over 3gb?

I have an E6600 at 2.40 ghz, with all effects off, the game runs ...ok@1650x1080(my benchmark came in at 2200 I think)

I'd guess if you run the game at a lower resolution with effects off..you might be fine?

There is a thread that might help

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/289893/How-does-it-run-on-your-rig.html

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• KakusaretaKakusareta Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by geldonyetich

My advice?  Run the official Final Fantasy XIV benchmark.  Yes, there's actually an application custom-built to FF XIV to help you determine if your computer can run it or not.   I scored about 2600, myself, and it's tolerable but not silky (particularly the GUI, which can drag at times).

Yeah I ran the benchmark.... as stated in my original post. I've really been working hard on learning how to read and I saw this on the benchmark page:

Even if the results displayed by this software exceed the minimum system requirements, your system might not run FINAL FANTASY XIV due to the configuration of your computer or resident software. Please understand that this software does not guarantee that your system will run FINAL FANTASY XIV. 

Additionally, the performance of this software and FINAL FANTASY XIV may differ. Please use this software for reference only.

Hence my original post.

Originally posted by terroni

If I recall correctly 32bit OS's dont handle over 3gb?

I have an E6600 at 2.40 ghz, with all effects off, the game runs ...ok@1650x1080(my benchmark came in at 2200 I think)

I'd guess if you run the game at a lower resolution with effects off..you might be fine?

There is a thread that might help

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/289893/How-does-it-run-on-your-rig.html

Thanks.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by Kakusareta

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT  (I have an unopened Nvidia GTS250 as well but I think they're the same card, it came with my Nvidia 3Dvision monitor/glasses)

They're not quite the same card, though they are different bins of the same G92b chip.  The GTS 250 has the whole chip active, while the 9800 GT disables 1/8 of the shaders and TMUs.  The GTS 250 is also clocked higher.  The GTS 250 is thus a faster card, but it's not a lot faster.

In your case, I'd worry more about the processor for gaming.  In many games, you can turn video settings way down and make a game playable on a not so great video card, but you can't do that to nearly the same degree for a processor.

• PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

I've got a similar set up.  The game is playable but certianly not smooth.  I plan on upgrading my GPU and hope for the best. 

• bronzeroninbronzeronin Member Posts: 89

Looks like your CPU is a socket 775, if so http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001157%20600005572&IsNodeId=1&name=Pentium%20Dual-Core

the least expensive quad is around 150 but for less then a 100 you could upgrade you CPU, good luck

edit you could try to get by for the time being and probably after the new Intel chips come out the 775's should really come down, so you could get a quad for less then a 100.  But you never know how long it could take and you will have to watch closely because they could go away fast, good luck again

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by bronzeronin

Looks like your CPU is a socket 775, if so http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001157%20600005572&IsNodeId=1&name=Pentium%20Dual-Core

the least expensive quad is around 150 but for less then a 100 you could upgrade you CPU, good luck

edit you could try to get by for the time being and probably after the new Intel chips come out the 775's should really come down, so you could get a quad for less then a 100.  But you never know how long it could take and you will have to watch closely because they could go away fast, good luck again

The 3.06GHZ Dual-Core Wolfdale should be sufficientto run it pretty well.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I'll just have to drop the settings down on FFXIV till I get a better rig. Either that or just borrow my mom's laptop lol. I'll check into those processors. I'm not very good with computer hardware, the stuff I've done is pretty simple stuff like replacing a network card, changing video cards, or installing a new DVD-Rom drive. I guess now is a good time as any to start learning about more advanced things like processors. Once again thanks for all the help. 

• LastChimeLastChime Member Posts: 107

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160@ 1.80 Ghz, 1803 Mhz, 2 cores

RAM: 3 gigs DDR2 (will upgrade to 4 gigs)

According to Can I Run It, I can't, but they've also told me I can't run a lot of other games that I've been able to run smooth, like Batman Arkham Asylum. I did run the benchmark at the low resolution option and got a 2k+ score. 

I know my system is pretty fail but was wondering if anyone has a setup close to mine (mostly in ram/processor) that can tell me how FFXIV performed for them.

Eh beta's free give it a go see if it runs, 2600 should run it on lower settings (maybe even medium).

Mine's a socket 775 and runs great e8400 (with a buncha other stuff attached of course, win 7 pro, 8 gb ddr2 800, ATI 5850, blah blah blah, not even comparable really).

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I'll just have to drop the settings down on FFXIV till I get a better rig. Either that or just borrow my mom's laptop lol. I'll check into those processors. I'm not very good with computer hardware, the stuff I've done is pretty simple stuff like replacing a network card, changing video cards, or installing a new DVD-Rom drive. I guess now is a good time as any to start learning about more advanced things like processors. Once again thanks for all the help. 

It's really easy to take out a processor and install a new one. The difficulty level is just a few steps above changing a video card.

If you know how to glue, you can do it.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• bronzeroninbronzeronin Member Posts: 89

Yeah changing out a CPU is not much more difficult then changing out the cards.  Now lapping a heat sink for optimum heat dispersal thats when you get in the realm of oh my god am I really going to do this and is it really worth it, lol  Should make a poll to see how many people have done that.

edit forgot to put that lapping is not really that hard either just takes so time and patience.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

• Robb2k03Robb2k03 Member UncommonPosts: 15

Long time lurker but never posted... I created an account just to post this to you.

I do not recommend using this PC to even attempt FF14 on the lowest settings - the stuttering, lag, and over all feel of the game will give you a headache.

My g/f has nearly the same stats as you (little better CPU 2.0ghz e4200, same ram/card) and it was nearly unplayable, after about an hour she couldn't take it - and I'm in the process of building her a new one.

A lot of other people replying to you  stating "I can run it on a Phenom II x4 or a E6+++" - have CPU's that greatly out perform yours, the e2+++ from emachines was meant to be a business style home PC for internet and office use only.

Take the bench mark, and do what you can to upgrade. Even spending 300$ can get you a PC greatly superior to what you have now - and will run the game just fine.

Download Prime95 to test your PC stability under heavy load - my guess is less than an hour before it starts bsod'n - and FF14 will put that PC of yours under heavy load in no time.

Yeah I'm checking into upgrading processors right now. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Though I think I'll probably end up doing like the poster above me suggested and just getting a new computer. My system is pretty gimped as far as how much I can upgrade it. It's a few years old and only cost me about $350 when I got it. This time around I really need to get something that will offer me more options for upgrading in the future. Like ram, PCI express slots, etc. Something with a really powerful processor. I've been considering getting a new one for a while. Especially with how much I play games on the PC.

• AurorusAurorus Member UncommonPosts: 60

FFXIV is a very CPU intensive game. Moreso than many I've played. I did a test on an AMD Phenom II X2 555 and a Radeon 5970 (which should be overkill) and still averaged about 40 fps at 1920x1080 with forced crossfire (since its not officially supported in beta. This baffles me as my laptop with a P7350 and a GTX260m was able to push 26-30 decently at 1366x768. Mind you, in crowded areas both dropped to about 15 fps... which is barely playable. The only conclusion I could reach is that the game relies way more on the CPU.

Intel Core i7 2600k 4.8ghz
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
    Diamond Radeon 7970 3GB
    3x Dell U2412M 6048x1200
    2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 [Raid 0]
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

im 99% certain that a 1.8 ghz 2 core cpu wont handle ff 14 at the lowest of the low without alot more optimization passes.  thats a massively slow bottleneck.  and youll need to reformat to 64 bit to have 4 gigs of ram work for you.  the game just needs alot more optimization period.  im running on a 3 ghz dual core e 8400, 4 gigs of ram, sli 8800m gtx 512s, and i get some crappy lag on moderate settings with bloom/occlusion/aa off.  

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

I'm running pretty much the same rig as you friend, same graphics card too.

I can run FXIV fine. the only thing i'm having is the occasional combat freeze, but a lot seem to be having that even with top end rigs at the min. i get a little delay when i enter main hubs as the pc's dont appear for a few seconds. This is a little annoying.

After last night i dont seem to be crashing to desktop anymore. well last night i was on for 3 hours with no crashes. all in all it ran much better last night. i would go ahead and try running it friend.

• AnimatorKidAnimatorKid Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by neorandom

im 99% certain that a 1.8 ghz 2 core cpu wont handle ff 14 at the lowest of the low without alot more optimization passes.  thats a massively slow bottleneck.  and youll need to reformat to 64 bit to have 4 gigs of ram work for you.  the game just needs alot more optimization period.  im running on a 3 ghz dual core e 8400, 4 gigs of ram, sli 8800m gtx 512s, and i get some crappy lag on moderate settings with bloom/occlusion/aa off.  

Well 32 bit OS max out at 4 gigs of ram. An I agree on the other thigs you posted too.

To the OP if your going to upgrade your system you might as well just upgrade it to something current. There really is no point to upgrade ot something pretty much outdated or near the lower end of the scale. In the end your just going to have to upgrade again plus its just a huge waste of money.

I posted in another topic "Can my Rig run this"  (or what ev its called) where I show you what a Q-6600 unclocked looks like with FF running.

• zandman78zandman78 Member Posts: 14

I have a pretty good computer, though a Geforce 9400GT card and the game is totally unplayable even on the lowest settings.

A friend of mine read in some forum though, that ATI cards works much better with FFXIV than Geforce does. But for Nvidia cards I would suggest a pretty new one to run this game smooth.

Myself I ordered a ATI Radeon HD5770 card which I know will do the job since my friend is on HD5550 and runs on almost max settings in FF :)

• ant211ant211 Member Posts: 54

i have a geforce 9300, i can play on poor settings with heavy lag but it works none the less.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by zandman78

I have a pretty good computer, though a Geforce 9400GT card and the game is totally unplayable even on the lowest settings.

A friend of mine read in some forum though, that ATI cards works much better with FFXIV than Geforce does. But for Nvidia cards I would suggest a pretty new one to run this game smooth.

Myself I ordered a ATI Radeon HD5770 card which I know will do the job since my friend is on HD5550 and runs on almost max settings in FF :)

I don't know. I ordered a 5770 but it wouldn't play nice with my new 64-bit win7 install (driver has stopped responding error) so I had to RMA it. In the meanwhile, my old 8800gt is running the game easily on high with AA 2x, I just can not have AO/DoF and some other setting I can't recall on. Which sucks, as I'd really like AO. But it still runs smooth, occasional hick ups on heavy areas. Other specs are 4gb of memory and a athlon quad core 2.6ghz (I can't recall exact CPU at the moment, I'm at "work" :P).

My other computer where my gf is playing on is running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.6ghz, 2gb of memory and a 5750 and also runs everything on high, even AO. Just no DoF and AA. That PC's even running Vista 32-bit.

Though I guess it's also important to note that just before September both computers went through reformats so they were (and still are, tbh) pretty clean Windows installs.

• valkyriepcvalkyriepc Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by neorandom

Your problem is your vid card. Sli isn't supported in FFXIV and an 8800gts 512 is not going to get you anywhere in FFXIV. My wifes system is the exact same as yours, but she had the 8800 gtx 640mb card and she could only get like 1000 on high, if that. I put a Gtx 260 in her PC and she gets 2600 on high and just about 4000 on low on the benchmark, and i have everything turned off except AA at 2xmsaa and lowest setting shadows, but everything else set on high/highest and it runs smooth. Honestly, pay the 200 bucks and get a GTX 460. It will be well worth it.

• KogaDrakeKogaDrake Member Posts: 29

To the OP, my pc has a faster quad core, much more ram and a very bad vid card and i scored a wonderful 534 on low in the benchmark  (will go up alot with a new vid card) and i can play the game fine, some video lag now an then, but it runs on standard settings.  using frams in congested areas i get about 18-20fps sometimes a little lower and runs great when i'm in less populated areas.  that being said the benchmark realy does not do a great job of saying how well you can play or not.