Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OB and it's already begun...

PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

Log onto my OB account to play around with the crafting and try to do a few leves for fun.

Instead, I am greeted with gold seller spam ...

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................``~.,

.............................,.-"..................................."-.,

.........................,/...............................................":,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:"........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}

...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../

...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"

............/.`~,......`-...................................../

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,__......`,.................................

...................`=~-,,.,...............................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_..........._,-%.......`

...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

Sweet Jesus, can't they at least let us play OB without this rubbish?  I can just see some smart azn at SE saying, "Gold farmers are a real problem in FFXI so lets remove the Auction House and make it a player driven economy."

So, now we have NO auction AND gold farmers.    Cool.

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

No kidding.  Gonna have to figure out how that /blacklist command works

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

There was someone selling Gil or at least advertising the website on the first day of oben beta.

• SgtEchoSgtEcho Member Posts: 139

There's always going to be someone that does this. In every game. But why is it more common in asian developed games? Not to say that all of SE is asian but you get what I'm sayin'

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

what you guys fail to realize in game after game, is if you dont buy the currency, theres no market to sell it.  if they spend money on accounts and man hours advertising and no one buys any, after a while they say hell with this and they go back to wow where they make money.  if you dont buy it no one will sell it, period, end of story, pure truth fact.

on the game company side of things, all transfers of money should be logged, and any account that moves alot of money, in large amounts of tons of small transactions should flag for investigation, and when found to be doing gold selling they should be deleted imediately, both buyer and seller, such a crack down would drive anyone that needs to buy currency away from the game, and would cause far more people to sub due to no spammers bothering them.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by neorandom

what you guys fail to realize in game after game, is if you dont buy the currency, theres no market to sell it.  if they spend money on accounts and man hours advertising and no one buys any, after a while they say hell with this and they go back to wow where they make money.  if you dont buy it no one will sell it, period, end of story, pure truth fact.

on the game company side of things, all transfers of money should be logged, and any account that moves alot of money, in large amounts of tons of small transactions should flag for investigation, and when found to be doing gold selling they should be deleted imediately, both buyer and seller, such a crack down would drive anyone that needs to buy currency away from the game, and would cause far more people to sub due to no spammers bothering them.

Yes that is true, dont buy and there is no demand.  But they will still spam,  and spam, and spam, and spam ect.......and that is the part that many cannot stand.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by SgtEcho

There's always going to be someone that does this. In every game. But why is it more common in asian developed games? Not to say that all of SE is asian but you get what I'm sayin'

If someome always does this in every game, how is it more common in asian developed games?

• SgtEchoSgtEcho Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by dhayes68

If someome always does this in every game, how is it more common in asian developed games?

It just seems like more of a problem in them. Aion for example. It seems like there are more gold sellers in asian games than in western games.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Actually, I've read post after post that has stated this.  I think the overwhelming majority of players understand this simple concept.

However, just like losing weight (which in the end is eating less / exercising more than you feel like doing), the concept is simple, but the execution is much harder.  There will always be those with more money on their hands than time.  But there are things game companies can definitely do to throttle it down.  On many nights, I remember getting gold spam either through whispers or in general chat in a capital city in WoW.  I remember getting not as many, but still a lot, from in-game main in CoX.  I very rarely get any kind of gold spam in LOTRO (in fact, in 6 months of playing, I'm pretty sure I've only gotten something twice).  So clearly Turbine figured something out.  In fact, gold is *so* expensive to buy from the vendors due to whatever Turbine is doing that you might as well just grind the gold yourself.

Gold sellers will be moderated only by companies that will spend the resources to reduce the incidence of it.  Blizzard is not such a company.  Not sure about Sony...how are their other games?

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

There is always going to be a market for gold/gil/credits in mmo's.  There are some people that have a busy schedule who don't want to spend the time farming.

Farmers buy accounts and pay subscription fees. Cracking down on gold farmers hurts a companies bottom line.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

It just seems like more of a problem in them. Aion for example. It seems like there are more gold sellers in asian games than in western games.

Well, WoW being the largest western game seems to have tons of gold sellers.

Pick your favorite AAA western game and you are going to find gold sellers. My guess is that eastern games might not have as many instances and you see more of them? Not sure.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

In some ways gold farmers speak to the popularity of the game.  The more folks buying gold, the more popular the game must be.  On the other side, the more folks that buy gold, the more the game's popularity is hurt.

My main beef is this:  S.E. obviously had gold sellers targeted when building this new player-driven economy "utopia."  The price we pay is simple perks such as a central Auction House and replace it with Retainers and Bazaars.

But as of OB I'm already seeing gold spam.  And I do mean spam.  Not one simple shout " hey we got gold at xxx.com"  no, line after line after line of spam.  Makes me sick.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

That is one of the issues with player driven economy it is probably going to happen the same as it did with L2 or Aion, gold sellers will strangle the economy.

• UldahUldah Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Phife

In some ways gold farmers speak to the popularity of the game.  The more folks buying gold, the more popular the game must be.  On the other side, the more folks that buy gold, the more the game's popularity is hurt.

My main beef is this:  S.E. obviously had gold sellers targeted when building this new player-driven economy "utopia."  The price we pay is simple perks such as a central Auction House and replace it with Retainers and Bazaars.

But as of OB I'm already seeing gold spam.  And I do mean spam.  Not one simple shout " hey we got gold at xxx.com"  no, line after line after line of spam.  Makes me sick.

Blacklist untill SE gets rid of them just like they did on ffxi.

I just cant understand why would rmt go as far as to go and spam a beta -.-

• felizcatfelizcat Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by Atlan99

Farmers buy accounts and pay subscription fees. Cracking down on gold farmers hurts a companies bottom line.

Farmers hack and phish for accounts. Cracking down on gold farmers keeps the customer service department smaller. Which ic otherwise busy refunding lost and stolen items.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Uldah

Originally posted by Phife

Blacklist untill SE gets rid of them just like they did on ffxi.

I just cant understand why would rmt go as far as to go and spam a beta -.-

or even better what retard will buy it? It would just get wipped in a couple weeks image

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I was at the Aion launch. I had a full /ignore list and I couldnt see what I had typed in any channel for more than a millesecond. FFXIV is going to be worse, much worse. Expect it, shit will be crazy.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Thanks alot for the heads up about the gold spammers. I will do as I did with Aion and probably not buy it all :)

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• golightgolight Member Posts: 104

It's the same in every game, it's just more hidden or dealt with differently in some than others. You can buy Gold or urrency for every single major Western Game. For example WoW it's so cheap and simple it's laughable.

That there is gold sellers in Beta seems a bit weird though, what's the point? I can't see them allowing you to keep your toons after the beta is over anyway.

Play: -
    Played: FFXIV, WAR, Allods, Aion, AoC, DDO, EQ2, GW, Lotro, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WoW

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Bullshit. Subscribe to Warhammer Online and check the advice channel. it beats all asian games in terms of gold selling.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

For those who may not have been players, or followers of FFXI, I can assure you that SE will be on top of it.

It took them a bit of time to finally recognize the problem of RMT in XI (such as insane inflation), but once they acnkowledged it, they took the most aggressive stance on it I've ever seen taken in a MMO.

A favorite quote of mine from SE regarding RMT/Botters is "They are not customers. They are criminals". I believe that came from Sage Sundi. The great thing is, where with other MMO developers whose games I've played in the past that would have been all talk they never backed up, SE was serious about it.

For one, they created a RMT Task Force that exists solely to track, research and eliminate (or at least greatly mitigate) the presence of RMT. They do so with full disclosure to the player-base, and for a while you could find monthly reports on the main playonline site of how many were banned, what activities were the main focus, how much ill-gotten gil was removed from the economy, etc. etc. The RMT Task Force would also publish a separate report discussing what they'd focused on, what still needed more focus, etc. After a time, they moved the reports to a separate part of the site, to keep them all in one place. To my knowledge, they still release them once a month.

Within the first couple months of the TF's inception, the economy in XI went from beyond ridiculous, back down to earth. In some cases that I saw, it was even more accessible than when the game first launched in the US on PC. An item that cost me 450,000 gil a few months after launch and went up to over 3 million when inflation was at its worst, was going for about 150,000 after SE kicked into gear. And that's a lesser example.

They took a multi-pronged approach to it..

1. Implemented server side applications to track and report RMT-like behavior (repetitive actions over a long period of time, in the same place, etc)

2. Exchange of large sums of gil from one character to various other characters - tracking both the provider and the recipient.

2. Implementing in-game changes, such as:

- Changing the drop status on highly sought items dropped from rare named mobs. They made the world mobs drop a "no sell, no trade" version of the item so that RMT couldn't bot, sell and monopolize them. Then they took the normal, sellable/tradeable version and made it a possible reward for doing "BCNMs".. basically instanced PvE battles where a treasure-chest spawns after completion, with a chance of the rare item being inside. Since RMT couldn't monopolize BCNMs, they couldn't control the items or the market prices.

- One of my favorites, they implemented Goblin Bounty Hunters. Basically, they took a common world mob and created a version that's faster and tougher than others of its level, and had them patrol along shorelines across the world. RMT used a lot of naked level 1 fishing bots to control the fishing market, so they were effortless targets. A Bounty Hunter would run up, kill them, and be on its way to look for more. The fish bots disappeared almost literally overnight. You'd see a straggler here and there who found a safe spot, but the problem of them monopolizing the fish market was pretty much eliminated.

And so forth...

SE's already stated that they intend to come into FFXIV with the same amount of focus on fighting RMT and, it seems, some of FFXIV's systems were set up to be unfriendly to bots in various ways. So... while they'll still have a presence - you'll never be completely rid of them - I don't expect the problem will be a major one.

SE takes it very seriously, as it should be. It's inexcusable, in my opinion, that there's any MMO developer out there that continues to turn a blind, passive eye to the problem, doing token bannings once in a while to "soothe the masses" but otherwise ignoring it, knowing the criminal tactics implemented by the companies to do their thing.

And, let there be no doubt, RMT has become a very serious problem that goes far beyond the "oh it doesn't affect anyone else so why should you care?" argument people used to make to support it. RMT activities have passed well into the realm of being illegal. Stealing people's account info through keyloggers, etc... Illegal. RMT companies will use stolen credit card numbers to buy the accounts they bot/spam with... Illegal. So, not only does supporting these scumbags completely screw up an in-game economy, which most certainly *does* affect other players. By giving RMT companies their business, people are also supporting everything they do.

I've seen people attempt to spin or use relativistic arguments to defend RMT, which fall flat on their face. I've seen people use pleas to compassion about how the botters/RMT are "just trying to make a living and botting helps provide food for their family". Sorry... a line of work that entails stealing from others is indefensible.

There is no justification for supporting any venture that involves stealing people's property, be it credit card numbers, game accounts, or anything else.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

No, I don't get what you are saying.  Please explain yourself.

I've been playing MMORPGs since the genre started.  I can promise you that off all the MMORPGs I've play (and I've tried over 60 in my time), three of them stand above the rest when it comes to gold sellers.  WoW, SWG, and L2.  Now I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard, SoE, and NCSoft don't exactly scream Asian developers to me.

I would like to roll back the time clock and have you read a blog from our forums back in 2008.  Even though we are rapidly approaching 2011, the main point of the blog is just as valid today as the day it was written.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/zergwatch/032008/1328_Why-we-buy-MMO-Gold

It's important to read the entire blog, but here is the main point:

"The underlying blame for gold buying does not lie with the gamer. It does not lie with Uncle Chin. The blame can squarely be placed on the MMORPG publisher for creating games that drive people to spend real life money to keep up with the core gamers."

Your trustly healer who happens to be a doctor in real life and works 65+ hours a week and needs that new mace that would take approximately 20 runs with a 12 man raid to get to drop.  They can get one of equal stats out the Auction House for only 5,000 gold.  The cost of mace is about 15 minutes worth of real life work for the doctor.  What do you think that doctor wants to do?  20 runs to get a mace to drop or buy it and get on to the good stuff with his friends?

So don't blame the gold farmer, don't player the gold buyer, don't blame the gold spammer (the IGE's of the world), blame your favorite developer.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

I do give credit to SE for their crack down in FFXI.  I don't think you will find too many people that would ignore their efforts, if even a little too late in the game's life cycle.  Hopefully they will adopt that standard at the START of FFXIV, not at the end when the economy has already been ruined.

I agree with the poster who said earlier something about buying gold for a Beta, ... yeah lulz to to that getting wiped.