Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do next?

marowitmarowit Member UncommonPosts: 268

Ok so i'm in my 4th week of eve, i'm caldari, i got my BC skills to fly the drake (saving money for it) got my heavy missiles to 4 shields to 4, learning stuff etc. also other generic stuff like target painter cap skills etc.

What skills should i go after next?

I would want to do some pvp, from what i heard the drake is ok in gang PvP so that suits me just well as i don't have what it takes to solo pvp (for now).

I don't want to get caught in that whole missioning routine as it gets boring fast.

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS AND REGRET THEY HAVE PASSED.

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Find a good corp, one that has good players that will coach you, and join them.   :)  That is what I recommend.

• StikatoStikato Member Posts: 55

The Drake is an excellent ship for small gang PvP... The high insurance payout and killer shield tank mean the cost over time of using and losing Drakes is very manageable with some minor missioning on the side. Eventually you could train into Caldari Command Ships, which are some of the best sub-capital in the game.

If you want a Caldari ship for Fleet (large-scale) PvP, the Rokh is a nice BS. The Raven doesn't really stack up because the slow time of missiles aen't as affective in large PvP. In other words, often they won't arrive to their target before it is dead. By the time you cycle to the next target, same thing happens. In smaller PvP, targets don't die as fast, which is why the Drake is a good ship for it.

I used to fit my Drakes for PvP with:

7x Heavy Missile Launcher

1 x Small Neut or Nos (can't remember)

Shield Extenders and Invulnerabilty Fields. Maybe a painter or a Warp Disruptor

Shield Power Relays, Power Disagnostic Systems, and Ballistic Control Units

^^ Train your skills to fit the Tech II versions of those modules, and your Drake will make an a good PvP ship.

Find and Download Eve Fitting Tool. This will help you see the effects of various fittings and skills.

Good Luck!

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

FIRST...Get all your core skills to 5. Engineering, Mechanic, Gunery, etc... After that, chose a side profession, i.e. miner, manufacturer, marketer, ratter, WH exploer, runner, etc...and start on those skills. OR, specialize in one of the combat styles like logistics, tanking, stealth bombing, tackler, etc...

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Teala

Find a good corp in an alliance who owns part of some null sec, one that has good players that will coach you, and join them.   :)  That is what I recommend.

Best advice ever. There are plenty out there. 

My advice to any player past the first 21days is to get into a good null sec corp and gtfo of high/low sec.

From there, you will learn what you need to know and what ships you should try an fly. The best thing to do first is fly and fit a good HAC. 

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I would say stealth bomber for null and cloak in general. Then drone skills making sure to give sentries some time. You need to find a place where you can split your time between making ISK and PVP training, unless you plan to use plex , both are equally important right now. You're right though, IMO, the less you can do without the mission crutch the better player you will be.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Whatever skill or category of skills you decide to learn next,  just make sure you do some research on it first.  Ask questions about it and other skills..

That way you can avoid making the mistakes that a certain someone who wrote an article recently made. XD

Eve is like learning a language, somethings just dont make sense.. you just have to accept it and learn to use that knowledge to your advantage.

having a rock solid skill plan based on well thought out reasons will make the next few years of your eve career MUCH easier!

After just 2 months of playing Eve I had pretty much planned several years ahead, and I also planned what I was going to do if I got a second character.   No, I didnt write down what skills exactly but I knew what I wanted to acheive and figured out the best way to acheive that by researching and, most importantly, talking to more experienced people about it.  Dont ask vague questions.. tell them your entire plan, and they can point out the flaws in that plan.

i've been playing for 5 years now, and I'm still pretty much following my plan, I havnt wasted a single day and both my characters are exactly as I imaged them to be.

i guess what im trying to say is that, noone can tell you what to do next, you have to decide on what you want to acheive long term then the short term plan becomes really obvious.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by StikatoI

used to fit my Drakes for PvP with:

7x Heavy Missile Launcher

1 x Small Neut or Nos (can't remember)

Shield Extenders and Invulnerabilty Fields. Maybe a painter or a Warp Disruptor

Shield Power Relays, Power Disagnostic Systems, and Ballistic Control Units

Don't fit your pvp Drake with SPRs OP, try something like this:-

(substitute T2 for named as skills/funding dictate)

Heavy missile fit,

[Drake, HML]

Ballistic Control System II

Power Diagnostic System II

Pseudoelectron Containment Field I

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive

Warp Disruptor II

Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Invulnerability Field II

Invulnerability Field II

Large Shield Extender II

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile

Small Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Medium Core Defence Field Extender I

Warrior II x5

Heavy assault missile fit,

[Drake, HAM]

Power Diagnostic System II

Damage Control II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive

Warp Scrambler II

Stasis Webifier II

Invulnerability Field II

Invulnerability Field II

Large Shield Extender II

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Terror Assault Missile

Small Energy Neutralizer II

Warrior II x5

As for the other skills you may want get your fitting and capacitor skills up to level 4 or 5 and general support skills like shields and hull trained again to 4 or 5, a rough list of some other skills you might want would be:-

• Weapon upgrades V

• Advanced weapon upgrades IV

• Signature analysis IV

• Long range targeting IV

• Propulsion jamming IV

• Navigation V

• Evasive maneuvering IV

• High speed maneuvering IV

• Acceleration control IV

• Electronic warfare IV

• Long distance jamming III

• Frequency modulation III

• Target painting III

These skills will take a few weeks and this list isn't completely inclusive but it should give a rough idea. If you have any other questions or want some more detailed info just send me a PM and I will do what I can to help :)

Fly safe.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

Thats definatly an awesome drake fit :D

The only trouble with training for that though is that being just 4 weeks old he is going to be paranoid aboutflying it, for fear of losing it!

Great for making money though.. pve in high sec.   But if he wants to dabble in pvp best to start cheap with t1 frigates in Faction warfare...   If he likes pvp over pve then might adjust his training plan for interceptors and assault frigates.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

A corp for what? its clear that the guy is a pver.

OP Do you like missions? Do you want to play without constant harassment through wardecs?

Look... If your going to get into heavy pvp, Industry or wormhole exploration I would suggest finding a corp of like minded individuals and having them show you the ropes.

But if your just casually playing, running a mission here and there with a goal of getting into bigger ships to do harder pve then why make yourself a target?

Your basically playing exactly how I play with my Pve Mission runner/explorer alt. I stay in a NPC corp to avoid douchebag wardecs, I joined private chat channels, help channels and various other channels to connect with people other than Npc corp chat.

If your only goal is to pve, make isk and fly cool ships casually dont put yourself at risk. play smart.

If i were you I would skill that guy up for Pve missions and Exploration (combat, hack, salvage and arch) sites and once your happy with the ships you have (since your caldari you should be looking at the Drake, Raven and then Tengu) I would stop training and start a pvp or industry character thats supported by the first pilot.

unless you plan to do everything with one character, then i would join a corp lol.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

He says he doesnt want to get caught up in the missioning routine...  with I empathise with.  Iwas caught up in that for a long time  (part of my plan then)  but it does get boring and I think I quit eve several times before deciding to dive into 0.0,  Now I wished I had done it much earlier.

So I think he opening his mind up to possabilities with is comendable.  If I were him I'd leave the drake, just for now.. go and join a Faction warfare corp, do some pew pew in some cheap disposable frigates just to test the water.   If its not his thing he can always return to high sec and farm a bit more, or learn more about other aspects.

The trouble is I think he feels that he must commit to a path, and is seeking advice about that path.  My advise is to feel free to experiment, dont feel pushed into doing one thing or another..,  explore!  :D

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by sadeyx

He says he doesnt want to get caught up in the missioning routine... 

Bahh I missed that part of his post.

Sorry guys.

I need to stop quickly skimming posts so early in the morning before i have coffee.

OP if you want to dabble, join a corp they will help you.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

My suggestion is to wait for a next-gen mmo to release very very soon as EvE is always on the backburner for ccp and will be even moreso when their other 2 games release. I could go on and on about how ccp sucks as a developer but anyone who jhas done their research will come to the conclusion that CCP sucks.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Just because you can fly a ship does not mean you should.  At four weeks old, you should not be flying BCs.  I know it's tempting but I promise you, you will want to round out your skills before jumping into bigger ships.  Also, never undock in a ship you can't afford to lose.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Mokwee

My suggestion is to wait for a next-gen mmo to release very very soon as EvE is always on the backburner for ccp and will be even moreso when their other 2 games release. I could go on and on about how ccp sucks as a developer but anyone who jhas done their research will come to the conclusion that CCP sucks.

340,000 subs says you're wrong.  Not going to disagree there's things to hate on CCP for (large scale fleet lag being one of the biggest at the moment) but overall EVE is a great game that I've enjoyed for over 3 years and I don't see anything quite like it on the horizon in the near future.

Waiting for a next gen MMO means you'll probably always be waiting.  Play EVE and have some fun in the here and now.

As to the OP, nothing burns people out more on EVE in the beginning than falling into the PVE only mission running or mining trap. If you're interested in doing some PVP, fit a cheap frigate (train up a Rifter real quick, you won't regret it) and join the faction wars or Red vs Blue.

Even missions and mining can be more fun if you join a corp and have friends to chat with and get help from.  (heck, you might even work together).

Now its true, your corp might get wardecced.  You can respond in two ways, leave your current corp (they may just make a dummy corp for just this purpose), or try and tackle the war deccers heads up.  Sure, you'll die like dogs, but what you learn from the experience will benefit your EVE career immensely.

I was in one such situation , we fought the Mercs and lost something like 12 B ISK to 3B ISK.  But even managing to always come out fighting when we knew we would lose (we actually prevailled in a couple of good fights) earned us big time respect from our opponents who eventually invited us to fly with them for a spell. (then they wardecced us again, go figure)

So don't shy too much from PVP in EVE, of course, never fly that Drake of yours when it is most of your assets, stay in cheap Frigs (RIFTER) and learn the ropes, save the Drake for your PVE activities until you can afford to throw them away. (one day you will)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

To the OP don't overlook your support skills. There are more than are listed in this thread. Research really goes along way in this game.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Mokwee

You have piss poor research skills Mr. Mokwee, but you did make me laugh.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• marowitmarowit Member UncommonPosts: 268

Thanks guys for all the replys and ideas.

Using a BC in my 4th week seems ok since i can do almost all lvl 3 missions without a problem.

Also found a corp that wants to move in 0.0 later on, so i'll stick with them and learn the ropes a bit.

I will stick with the drake since it sounds ok for my pvp needs at the moment.

Don't feel like jumping into faction pvp since i heard it's mindless zerg fest and i don't want to get a bad idea about pvp so early, it might throw me off.

I'm not yet at the stage where i have to plan my char a few years ahead, i'm stickyng to just a few weeks, since i'm playng e few hours a week when i have free time.

Also not planing on using plex, since if i spend allot of time farming for them, i will never have time to enjoy the game.

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS AND REGRET THEY HAVE PASSED.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by TheHatter

Originally posted by Teala

Find a good corp in an alliance who owns part of some null sec, one that has good players that will coach you, and join them.   :)  That is what I recommend.

Best advice ever. There are plenty out there. 

My advice to any player past the first 21days is to get into a good null sec corp and gtfo of high/low sec.

From there, you will learn what you need to know and what ships you should try an fly. The best thing to do first is fly and fit a good HAC. 

** not recommended untill you are aware of 0.0 PVP and have a good wallet.**

I see people go into 0.0 waaay to soon and then buy t2 cruisers which they can't afford to lose or have the knowledge to fly properly. Hacs are lost very easily so if you are not really familiar with pvp and you buy a number of hacs you will go bankrupt very fast if your fleet gets nailed a few times. (and it will happen)

empire pvp and 0.0 pvp are totaly different, If you dont have enough pvp experience I would suggest you find a newb friendly corporation (a 'pet' alliance to some bigger alliance maybe?) and fly cheaper ships for starters.

Battlecruisers are very cheap compared to recons/hacs and very viable in wars. Especially the Drake.

As for skills, you would be better off to train multiple shiptypes, like the one I quoted said, you could go train for hacs+recons, interceptors, covert ops just to be able to use other ships when asked.

And of course the support skills matter, get ALL rigging skills at once in empire, just inject them ,they are very cheap and train them to lvl 4, should be done fast and you never regret it.

And then train the rest of the support skills, basicly you are never done, think of the ships you are flying and train the skills that make you better in that ship first.

And ofc the learning skills to lvl 5 asap ofc.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"