Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it pay to win?

I'm definetly interested in playing this game but was curious on how much Pay To Win it is :)

like in order to be successful in pvp or pve would I have to cash out quite a bit of cash and such?

just a question :)

Comments

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

your question can not be answered with a yes or no'.

heres how it works , you open a free account  and with that account you get 2 toon slots and noob city + the 5 lesser noob city start up maps free.

with the start up content you can ez lvl your way up to around  12-13 max lvl is 20 " each lvl counts as 5 lvls in a standared F2P game." to advance past this point  you now have no opption but to buy  adventure packs. these packs with prem unlock  a new map on your account  with new content " i  think when last i counted there were 37 adventure packs ranging from $1.00- $9.50"  now its a fact that while leveling up your toons you will  get a small amount of FREE cash shop points it will be plenty to buy 1 major map or 2 lesser maps .

the cash shop offers very little that is not  also found  very ez in game if you have access to all maps , so i myself would not call this game a pay to win , but  on the same hand i'd also not call this a F2P.  The class that would fit this game best would be prem free trial . as a true F2P there are no boundry lines  blocking of 80% of the content  with out payment.

now it is a fun game , and if you chose to try it out you will enjoy your self........for a time, by lvl 10 you will have to find out how much you like the game. you will have to  buy maps at this point or go vip to open all maps up , or quit the game and look elsewhere for fun.

games best feature is in game voice chat its nice to do hard dungeon runs and not have to stop moving to type . FYI if you start up with 1 month of vip your account will go to premo after and you will have all the low lvl bonuse maps open to run all 4 of your toons threw befor your months up saving your tons of maney later buying maps

I hope i gave you all the info you need have  fun repost questions if u need more info

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by NateAngel

I'm definetly interested in playing this game but was curious on how much Pay To Win it is :)

like in order to be successful in pvp or pve would I have to cash out quite a bit of cash and such?

just a question :)

It is easy to answer the PvP side, the answer is no one really PvPs in DDO. The system sucks for PvP and that about sums it up really.

As for PVE you can choose to spend a lot of money or you can choose not to, nothing in the store makes you that much better then anyone else and since DDO has NO competitive PVE relative power is not all that important.

There are items that make you better then you could be with all in game buffs, but for the most part if you buy none of these no one will ever care anyway. There have been some recent store additions that make me think DDO is going the way of pay to win, but that is a long way off if it ever happens.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If you count "pay to overcome stupidity" then it is pay to win.  Otherwise, a smart player pays to access content, and nothing else.  You could spend $15 per month on a subscription for all the content or pay a one-time charge for only the content you end up using.

By "pay to overcome stupidity" I mean a healer can buy spell point potions from the DDO Store if they are not good at managing their spell point pool, or if their group is dumb.  There are also "cakes" on the DDO Store that resurrect you if you die in a quest.  Most of the items in the DDO Store that do affect combat can be bypassed by being a smart player.

There are are a few items to buy that don't affect combat.  For example, you can buy storage upgrades for your bank vault or buy respecs.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

To the OP: easy answer is NO.  Pvp?  Well you're better off just saying there is no Pvp in the game.  A few players use it as a toon / build testing ground and you'll generally see 1 or 2 players hopping around in it, but to use the term Pvp in the regular sense .......

For PvE:  yes there are items you could buy that would give you a leg up (buying +2 armor with real $ vice waiting until you earn the coin in game) but you'll out level it or loot it way before you'd see a return on your investment.   You'll really find all you need in the game.  The store is there for convenance nothing more.

Originally posted by farfanugon

you open a free account  and with that account you get 2 toon slots and noob city + the 5 lesser noob city start up maps free.

with the start up content you can ez lvl your way up to around  12-13 max lvl is 20 " each lvl counts as 5 lvls in a standared F2P game." to advance past this point  you now have no opption but to buy  adventure packs.

Not totally true as each level (all the way to 20) has free dungeons avaliable.

Lvl 1 - 9 / lvl 2 - 17 / lvl 3 - 9 / lvl 4 - 8 / lvl 5 - 5 / lvl - 6 10 / lvl 7 - 4 / lvl 8 - 6 / lvl 9 - 1 / lvl 10 - 4  etc.... some have more, some have less, lvl 20 only has 1 that I know of.

Now each dungeon has a solo / normal / hard / elite (not all) setting on it.  Monsters will be harder and loot & XP & Favor will be better.  So you can pretty much look at running each dungeon 3 times before you get stuck repeating it.  If you do like to see new stuff / dungeons / places then yes you'll be looking at buying new packs.

Just as an example I've spent $9.95 in the past 8 months and picked up 3 new adventure packs that i wanted.  It's the kind of game you can play totally free or spend a little or spend a lot or do a sub on.  Your choice.

I recommend it as a secondary game that you play once or twice a week, running some dungeons, hanging out with friends etc....  It seems to fill that niche very well.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99

Win? Win what exactly?

Firstly, you will need to get out of the whole "my gear is uber and l33t and you are inferior with your sub-levels and non epic gear/skills" mentality.

Only then can you experience true gaming and fun.

To answer more directly, no. You can have a blast on just F2P. Even so, I have read articles where people have enjoyed the game making multiple characters over a year and more and have never bought anything.

Just have fun and change the way you play. The game is quite fun and you will find more mature, relaxed people in DDO.

R'

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Nebless

Lvl 1 - 9 / lvl 2 - 17 / lvl 3 - 9 / lvl 4 - 8 / lvl 5 - 5 / lvl - 6 10 / lvl 7 - 4 / lvl 8 - 6 / lvl 9 - 1 / lvl 10 - 4  etc.... some have more, some have less, lvl 20 only has 1 that I know of.

Now each dungeon has a solo / normal / hard / elite (not all) setting on it.  Monsters will be harder and loot & XP & Favor will be better.  So you can pretty much look at running each dungeon 3 times before you get stuck repeating it.  If you do like to see new stuff / dungeons / places then yes you'll be looking at buying new packs.

Just as an example I've spent $9.95 in the past 8 months and picked up 3 new adventure packs that i wanted.  It's the kind of game you can play totally free or spend a little or spend a lot or do a sub on.  Your choice.

I recommend it as a secondary game that you play once or twice a week, running some dungeons, hanging out with friends etc....  It seems to fill that niche very well.

you do kow from lvl 14-20 there are only 3 free quest and 2 of those are very low exp runs  also 11-14 there are only 5 free quests .  8 quests wont carry a player from  lvl 11-20 the exp per run is reduced each run on the 10th run of 1  quest the exp is prem 0

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by farfanugon

Originally posted by Nebless

Lvl 1 - 9 / lvl 2 - 17 / lvl 3 - 9 / lvl 4 - 8 / lvl 5 - 5 / lvl - 6 10 / lvl 7 - 4 / lvl 8 - 6 / lvl 9 - 1 / lvl 10 - 4  

lvl 11 - 4, lvl 12 - 2, lvl 15 - 2, lvl 18 - 1, lvl 20 -1.

you do kow from lvl 14-20 there are only 3 free quest and 2 of those are very low exp runs  also 11-14 there are only 5 free quests .  8 quests wont carry a player from  lvl 11-20 the exp per run is reduced each run on the 10th run of 1  quest the exp is prem 0

The add on above is from Robi3.0 guide which is not up to date as it doesn't show the lvl 20 one.  There's a better (IMO) free quest guide that I have printed out at home by Rowanheal but I can't open it here at work as it's an Excel doc off of her blog or I'd feel in the missing numbers above.  Safe to say pretty much each level has atleast 1 free dungeon.  If anyone wishes to look at it, it's in the same 'helpful hints for newbies' sticky that Robi3.0's is, just farther down the list under the heading 'Exploring and Collecting (don't know why it's there).

I'm not sure how in depth you researched the free dungeon numbers or just went off of a list like Robi3.0's.  As a F2p (premium) player I looked into which one's I could do pretty good.

Now I'm not saying you can breeze up to level 20 just on the free dungeons, not by a long shot.  While it is possible after alot of long (time) work, it's hard to say if that's either desirable or realistic. All I was doing was answering your comment that to get past X level you HAD to purchase adventure packs.

All in all you can have some fun and enjoy the game without spending money if you wish.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• No its not pay to win. 

However there are a few key items you may really want from content from the store.  You can definitely get enough "free" points to get a few of these.

For example the House D sentinels content has a bracer item that almost every monk wants.  But you can get enough TP from favor to get that module.  Will you be able to pay for both monk and that module with favor TP?  Maybe, maybe not.

I have a 28 pt wiz rogue "sahdowmage" that is very strong and versatile.  He is a Warforged, though.  I made him before F2P came out.  Most people who want to be extremely maxxed out probably pay some money.  But you can make a perfectly good char with starting stuff.  On the way to 20 you should be able to unlock more than enough things to compete with anyone.

Personally I am still way behind people even with a VIP sub I just don't put tons of time into DDO and don't really care to grind alot of stuff out.  I could spend $100 and still be worse off than alot of f2P people simply because I am not farming stuff or whatever.

In the end a one time $50 investment on content and maybe WF and a decent amount of playing will make you as powerful as anyone else if you build your guy right with almost no favor for Tubeion points grinding.  Along the way you could easily unlock Monk, would unlock drow without even trying and probably unlock 32 pt builds by 20 (without paying). 

But wioth some favor farming you could get to this with no money.  And with vet status it would be really easy to do that across servers.  I don't really want to do that myself.

Someone who paid $150 they really wouldn't be more powerful at a same level.  They might win out on something like the +2 to all stats tome you can buy.  You can get higher bonus tomes in game.  They simply save on plat/farming and are convienent.  Same thing with a true reinc, you can buy token in game but you still need to get to 20 to even do a true reinc and it just saves you time on getting the ingredient.   I guess with infinite money you can buy xp pots and balance out the penalty from a true reinc some.  But in the end being in a good guild with people who will run you through stuff is more imporatnt anyway.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

you can always look at it as a p2p game, pay the monthly sub, and never need to spend any cash mall points or whatever they're called (the monthly subs comes with a few points a month, which you can spend on frivolous stuff, since the monthly sub gives you all the adventure modules and 10 character slots and probably some other stuff i am not thinking of.)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• wargodbgwargodbg Member UncommonPosts: 1

The difference between this f2p and others, is that u can get money points just by playing the game and only with one time trade money for points(even 6$) its enough to play this game to max level and have pretty decent gear. (The trade will give u 2 extra slots for chars and 30or 40 limit for AH which is awesome) U can buy GH and Vale and u can get to lv 20 easy... which is around 1000 turbine points and U can get 1000 if u make chars in all servers to lv 4...

• dillettidilletti Member Posts: 73

here is my experience ...

it is not pay to win.

it is pay to grind a lot less, however.

mostly everything important can be unlocked by playing a lot.

• fatenabu1fatenabu1 Member Posts: 381

No, not pay to win, also it is quite great that favor can grant more Turbine Points (the points you get with real money) You can make a character on every server to farm favor turbine points. Also it is quite awesome that if you are VIP (15 dollar a month) you get 500 points plus access to all quest and etc. What is great about the 500 points, is if you are in a guild with a bunch of nice guildmates they can buy a free to play player guest passes to join them in the VIP quest.

Dustin

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    It is p2w. Don't listen to those people saying you can grind up points (easily) using favor builds; that's only under very specific circumstances. As far as "winning in pve" (no one does pvp anymore lol), that's not a money investment, that's a time investment. Because TRing exists as the powerhouse for the overpowered players.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/TR

Then you go back and realize that in order to even TR, you have to buy adventure packs to fill in for all of that extra xp you have to earn. So it IS p2w!