Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The UI (mouse lag) is an issue, at least for me.

dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I know I can use a controller, and I do for other games, but for MMO's a genre in which I expect to be interacting with other players and have a far greater range of options for my char, I want my hands on a mouse and keyboard. A controller is just to passive for MMO play. Let me also say that the difference of the UI is a bit off-putting but ultimately not a big deal because I know if the game hooks me, I'll get used to it quick.

That being the case let me say I love the fact that the game just plops you down with no tutorial, no cues, no info. Here's a world, you're in it, go explore and learn. That is great. Especially in contrast with most mainstream MMO's released in the past couple of years. The problem however is that given a situation in which you're encouraged to explore, the UI discourages the tons of mouse/keyboard work necessary to explore. So what I'm finding is that I'm logging on, then losing interest in figuring out what I need to do because the UI is so unrewarding, then logging off.

I really hope this changes, cause I really like what I've seen so far.

Comments

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

This morning Eorzeapedia announced that someone had solved your problem.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/09/06/community-develops-hardware-mouse/

Check that out and maybe you can find this guys tweak. As far as I understand it, SE has the software mouse turned on for testing purposes only, and most people seem to think that the hardware mouse will be enabled by the time launch occurs. I guess we'll see. Either way, this guy has tweaked the settings to enable the hardware mouse.

Hope this helps you!

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Yes I know about that. Using it in fact. It's awesome. And that doesn't help matters. That the mouse issue could be resolved so simply yet SE chooses not to, doesn't really inspire confidence that SE is concerned about it. Also, it gets disabled and has to be reinstalled after every update and how often is that going to be around launch?

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

being forced to play in window mode makes it worse. Pretty sure it'll be a none issue during launch. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by dhayes68

Yes I know about that. Using it in fact. It's awesome. And that doesn't help matters. That the mouse issue could be resolved so simply yet SE chooses not to, doesn't really inspire confidence that SE is concerned about it. Also, it gets disabled and has to be reinstalled after every update and how often is that going to be around launch?

First off, it's a beta. We're not supposed to be PLAYING the game, we're supposed to be testing it and as I said as far as I understand they have the software mouse enabled for testing purposes. Something to do with the PS3 later on.

Is it annoying that they have it turned on in the first place? Hell yes. But isn't it better that its turned on during beta for them to test it, rather than have us testing it three months into gameplay? Well, I should say so.

I don't think a lack of confidence in SE based on a software mouse is... well I think its silly, but thats just me.

I think that if they had it turned on still at launch, well then it would be cause for concern, but considering its still a beta, we're still in testing mode, than I think its perfectly justifiable.

I'm not some fanboi of SE's. Quite frankly, I despise FFXI. But I think that games should be tested to their fullest and if that means turning that absolute-god-awful mouse on, well thats their choice.

Originally posted by Splinki

Originally posted by dhayes68

First off, it's a beta. We're not supposed to be PLAYING the game, we're supposed to be testing it and as I said as far as I understand they have the software mouse enabled for testing purposes. Something to do with the PS3 later on.

Is it annoying that they have it turned on in the first place? Hell yes. But isn't it better that its turned on during beta for them to test it, rather than have us testing it three months into gameplay? Well, I should say so.

I don't think a lack of confidence in SE based on a software mouse is... well I think its silly, but thats just me.

I think that if they had it turned on still at launch, well then it would be cause for concern, but considering its still a beta, we're still in testing mode, than I think its perfectly justifiable.

I'm not some fanboi of SE's. Quite frankly, I despise FFXI. But I think that games should be tested to their fullest and if that means turning that absolute-god-awful mouse on, well thats their choice.

In beta you test by playing the game.

You'll notice however I said that I hope SE addresses it.

As far as the turning on/off if it during beta and the confidence, I think you missed my point. The fact that in 2010 the mouse interface is an issue at all impacts my confidence that SE in interested in making the UI into something I'm comfortable with. I mean if it was something SE was interested in, it wouldn't be an issue.

Originally posted by xpiher

being forced to play in window mode makes it worse. Pretty sure it'll be a none issue during launch. 

What do you mean? I'm not forced to play in window mode.

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

I still don't know what all this mouse lag is about.  I have my complaints about the game but I have no problem with my mouse.  Is the problem simply that your mouse doesn't zoom around the screen and moves rather slowly for your input, or does it actually lag somehow?  My mouse moves slowly but I'm used to that and it has no problem following each of my movements perfectly in game.  Just curious.

*Edit - I suppose I should clarify.  My mouse acts like I have low sensitivity on, no lag though, just low sensitivity so traversing the screen takes a few moments.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

Originally posted by Fortenc

I still don't know what all this mouse lag is about.  I have my complaints about the game but I have no problem with my mouse.  Is the problem simply that your mouse doesn't zoom around the screen and moves rather slowly for your input, or does it actually lag somehow?  My mouse moves slowly but I'm used to that and it has no problem following each of my movements perfectly in game.  Just curious.

Yes.

In all other respects the game runs fine. but the slow response of the mouse really impacts my ability to casually interact with the UI.