Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon - Why aren't you playing?

Comments

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

You mention your highest being level 17.  I do think the game is pretty enjoyable early on.  I'd like to know what you think at around 40.  I usually see the perspective change  around then.

But honestly, even though I ran out of things to do there, I left for one reason only.  It wasn't a friendly place to be anymore.  And I'm not referring to the players.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Voted other.

Poor MT model

Unappealing graphics (not to MY tastes because there's already plenty of cartoony games that look tons better)

It's just about dead population wise.

Badly promoted (Derek Smart did more damage than good, but David Allen had already well & truly screwed the pooch with his slavering over-emulation & adoration of WoW before Derek was even at the helm).

Nothing really "grabs" you about it, it just feels like an empty boring seen-it-all-before pile of bug-ridden crap (admittedly a big chunk of beta bugs got sorted during Derek's early time at the helm, mostly the net code got a total re-write that sorted a lot of them - but it's still full of simple "toes stuck on a twig" type beta bugs that should have been squashed before release).

I didn't feel it had anything to ameliorate the above things I disliked about it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by pupurun

Originally posted by nariusseldon

There is no point. A wow clone. And even if it is a diamond in the rough, there are enough diamonds out there and it just don't cut it.

In fact, the only reason why i am in this forum is to watch Derek bickers with his potential CUSTOMERS and watch the train wreck.

Well i bet you can't play WOW with 30$ for more than 2 months ,now can you? But i guess you can play and fully enjoy Alganon for a year with around 50-60 $.So there is a good reason why to play it. If you like wow-type-mmos but don't want to spend a lot of money Alganon is your game. Shaking off the "wow clone" paint was Quest's Online's biggest mistake !Noone should be ashamed to be called the clone of the best ever(commercially speaking ofc) MMO in history. Alganon could gain a lot from WOW-quiters now that it's free.

In my opinion the best FTP game is "Runes f Magic" BUT you can't max your progression unless you spend a lot of money once you reach the endgame levels.And i mean A LOT OF MONEY. Most FTP games are NOT better from Alganon.

First of all, i like WOW and play WOW, not WOW clones. Secondly, Alganon is SAD as a wow clone. Just look at its population. HOw can you even find groups?

If I want to play a F2P wow clone, there are plenty of MUCH better choices: LOTRO, ROM, Alloid, even EQ2 which i hate.

Plus, no one has to deal with Derek Smart if you play those other games.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Derek Smart is keeping me away from the game, I refuse to give my money to such a foolish and arrogant man...

He knows F all on how to run a business and game.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Derek Smart is keeping me away from the game, I refuse to give my money to such a foolish and arrogant man...

This

Frog...If Derek Smart decides to sue us I'll go halves on a lawyer with you.

• Equinsu_OchaEquinsu_Ocha Member UncommonPosts: 112

Originally posted by ezjay1975

This

+1 Never will I go near a game with him attached.

Edit: Make that 3rd's

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate!?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

1) I cannot stand WOW graphics

2) I heard the game had problems

3) I have been lied to so many times by game company's, that "diamond in the rough" is enough to make me click to another subject

4)games that say they are FTP.......and the list is a long one......but really aren't........repel me more than  #1

you asked

• AlisanosAlisanos Member Posts: 4

I played in closed beta and got a character to level 45 (soldier). I enjoyed playing the game despite it's bugs and crashes, it was a beta release after all. Problems arose from mid 30's onwards, the content didn't exist, no quests or gameplay other than to grind levels.

There was a lot of hype about up and coming content but the end-game as such didn't exist when I was testing. I soon realised that there was practically nothing to chase or follow from level 35 upwards.

The graphics didn't impress me but were reasonable, I have seen a lot worse. It was very much a wow clone but that was acceptable too. One thing about the beta testing, the community seemed to be the mainstay of the game and great emphasis was put on this factor, claiming that the developement team and GM's would be very much involved with the gameplay and community. Even David Allen himself would make appearences in game.

I left the game soon after the soft launch and never returned, mainly because I didn't see the missing content being added, and many of the same issues and problems were still being talked about on the games forum. I waited to see if the community would grow somewhat but it seemed to be on the decline and when it became ftp, I decided not to go back.

Overall I enjoyed playing the game, it was fun and could have developed into a very good game if the investment and game development had progressed from beta. That didn't appear to be happening, so to go back to a game that I had reached the end of in Beta, would have been pointless, I would have returned if I had read that more playable content had been introduced. or that the community was growing but none of this was happening.

At the time of the second release and the upheavels within the management and power base I couldn't see any major developements or features that  would make it worthwhile playing again, sad really because the game had a lot of potential.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I chose "I like other F2P games more".

But there are lots of reasons why I don't play. 

1) The graphics engine and models are clunky and pathetic.

2) The soldier class and many other aspects were completely ripped from WoW

3) Derek Smart has ruined their forum with his "iron grip of ego"

4) I don't consider it free if I can't atleast reach max level.  This is a big one for me.  Let me at least get to the level cap and decide if I want to spend money unlock endgame content/gear.

5) Lack of endgame content.  I rush through my levels and pick one class to play.  I generally don't get replay value out of alts.  Even if reaching max level was free, I'd reach it very quickly and be bored.

This game is about two years and one Derek Smart away from my actually trying it again.

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

In all honesty, I am not playing this because it is, in every way, a sub-par WoW clone. I know that this term gets thrown around a lot lately, but I do not use it lightly. Warhammer Online? Runes of Magic? Allods? These games are sufficiently different from WoW to not be WoW clones. Alganon, however, has no unique features whatsoever, as far as I can tell, except for the EVE-like study system "Frankensteined" on.

Furthermore, it's just not a very good game. You still have to pay 20 bucks to access the full game, and it's simply not worth it to me. I would rather pay a monthly fee and play a vastly superior game. If I wanted to play a game with no monthly fee that subsists on microtransactions, I'd play Runes of Magic or Allods (as I understand it, Allods ridiculously expensive fatigue system has been fixed, though I don't care enough to check.)

Basically, Alganon is severely lacking in polish, in interesting content, in almost everything I look for in an MMO. It plays just like WoW, so why would I play it when I can play WoW?

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by gamer2171

This

Add me to the group. Apart from the bad word-of-mouth, main reason I won't play is because of Mr. Smart.  I will not "reward" this arrogant and foolish man by giving $ to anything he is assosiated with...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

It's a WoW clone... is what I picked in the poll.

Don't mean that as something bad, but I already play WoW. So theres not much point to spend time on something similar thats not quite it. Now if it was any better, then the situation would be different.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

It is a blatant theft of Blizzard's ideas with an element stolen from Eve thrown in.  

I mean look at battle shout for example, a skill that is identical to that of WoW.  Same effect, duration, class that uses it, etc.

They hardly tried to make it something of their own, instead it has a ton of stolen ideas that aren't changed in the slightest to somewhat make them their own.

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by kakasaki

Originally posted by gamer2171

This

Add me to the group. Apart from the bad word-of-mouth, main reason I won't play is because of Mr. Smart.  I will not "reward" this arrogant and foolish man by giving $ to anything he is assosiated with...

Agreed.

Proof:

http://www.werewolves.org/~follies/

• zencommandozencommando Member Posts: 33

After reading Beau's write-up on Massively, I wanted to try it. But the client download was so slow I gave up. 

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by zencommando

After reading Beau's write-up on Massively, I wanted to try it. But the client download was so slow I gave up. 

Weird - I didn't have any problems downloading it and I have crappy 1.5 Mbps DSL.  Of course, I've had numerous issues in game (it absolutely needs work), but I'm still having fun playing it, albeit by myself..

~Ripper

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Btw. the Derek Smart interview is removed from the Alganon overview section^^

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I didn't answer the poll since it was done with radio buttons not checkboxes, and thus I could only pick one issue.

I would actually tick every single box in that poll other than "I don't play F2P games". And I'd add to that "an MMORPG with less than ten people online generally? LOLWUT"

Someone said that if you want to play a WoW-type game and don't want to spend money, then Alganon is the game for you. Wrong. Actually, LOTRO, EQ2X, Runes of Magic and Allods are the games for you - all four are light years beyond Alganon in content, depth, quality and polish. All four have thriving communities.

I would particularly recommend checking out the recent F2P launches of LOTRO and EQ2 - those games are buzzing beyond belief at the moment, you'll see more other players in five minutes than will be logged in to Alganon all night. And these are games that, while they didn't get close to WoW's numbers, did attract hundreds of thousands of paying customers. They've got years of development added on top of their initial content, too.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by Banquetto

Someone said that if you want to play a WoW-type game and don't want to spend money, then Alganon is the game for you. Wrong. Actually, LOTRO, EQ2X, Runes of Magic and Allods are the games for you - all four are light years beyond Alganon in content, depth, quality and polish. All four have thriving communities.

Erhm i was the one that said that...

Well tbh, i have played for quite a long time all of those games(now i also started to play the free Lotro) and i can quarantee you that you CAN'T fully progress/success unless you spend LOTS of money, especially RoM and Allods.Everquets 2 is a great game BUT it's not a wow clone(clone means identical in looks and structure). Main difference that wow has from all of the above games is this :COMPLEXITY....WoW HAS..NONE...It's a simple easy going carebear game for stressless nights...Just like Alganon. Alganon is much closer to WoW than any other game, but for me that's not a bad thing.And you can spend a small amount of money and fully enjoy/progress/success in it. The question remaining is : Do you like playing the game?

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

When Alganon first announced it was going f2p, I actually signed up for a free account and downloaded the installer to give it a shot. Shortly after that, Derek Smart came on the forums and started running his arrogant mouth. I immediately deleted the installer and never tried it.

Short answer: Derek Smart

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

After I hit level 5, the only quests I had in my quest journal were group quests, and I couldn't find where to go to actually pick up more quests that I could actually do by myself.

• trypantstrypants Member Posts: 19

I downloaded it and gave it a shot, I was immediately turned off by it. To be honest I have no idea why, it seems to be happening alot lately with the games i've been trying. Sign up for a trial/F2P game login walk around completely a few quests literally spend maybe 15 minutes in the game, and just quit and uninstall. Alganon, while im sure is good for some, did absolutely nothing for me.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by pupurun

Originally posted by Banquetto

Erhm i was the one that said that...

Well tbh, i have played for quite a long time all of those games(now i also started to play the free Lotro) and i can quarantee you that you CAN'T fully progress/success unless you spend LOTS of money, especially RoM and Allods.Everquets 2 is a great game BUT it's not a wow clone(clone means identical in looks and structure). Main difference that wow has from all of the above games is this :COMPLEXITY....WoW HAS..NONE...It's a simple easy going carebear game for stressless nights...Just like Alganon. Alganon is much closer to WoW than any other game, but for me that's not a bad thing.And you can spend a small amount of money and fully enjoy/progress/success in it. The question remaining is : Do you like playing the game?

Because of the way the payment model on a lot of those titles are. LoTRO F2P works different than say, Runes of Magic F2P. It isn't as item shop dependent, it's content shop dependent in terms of you're spending more money buying quest and content packages than actual beneficial items from the shop typically.

You will spent more on LoTRO to see all the content than you would to pay to see all the content in Alganon. But you can hit the max level in F2P LoTRO cheaper than you can in Alganon F2P.

As a matter of fact, the basic features for F2P LoTRO completely surpass Alganon F2P. You can't even advance to max level without paying in Alganon, you can advance to max level for free in LoTRO.

You're basing your post off nothing but guesses and high hopes. Look up the facts. And then think that the content Alganon offers is nowhere near the quality of DDO, LoTRO, or EQ 2, so why would you even want to think about paying as much for Alganon? It should, but it's not.

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

http://www.qol.com/downloads/newsletter_0810.html

So for free with Alganon, my abilities cap at level 30. I can only get 10 quests at any time, and I can only advance to level 30. I cannot use chat channels or create a guild. You are forced to buy the communication package to even communicate.

For free with LoTRO, I get access to the complete Epic storyline and world access. I can access the 4 default races and 4 default classes, as well as advance to the level cap of 50. I get access to chat, auctions, mail, skirmishes, housing, music system, cosmetic system, and so on and so forth.

Now keep in mind Alganon only offers 1/4 of the content that LoTRO does. LoTRO is still cheaper, I get more bang for my buck, and it's of a higher quality. 

No thanks, QOL.

For free with LoTRO, I get access to the complete Epic storyline and world access. I can access the 4 default races and 4 default classes, as well as advance to the level cap of 50. I get access to chat, auctions, mail, skirmishes, housing, music system, cosmetic system, and so on and so forth.

Now keep in mind Alganon only offers 1/4 of the content that LoTRO does. LoTRO is still cheaper, I get more bang for my buck, and it's of a higher quality. 

No thanks, QOL.

No thanks, QOL.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

You're basing your post off nothing but guesses and high hopes. Look up the facts. And then think that the content Alganon offers is nowhere near the quality of DDO, LoTRO, or EQ 2, so why would you even want to think about paying as much for Alganon? It should, but it's not. 

I tottaly agree.My post was NOT about comparing Alganon with these games.It was about being a WoW clone and proud since it's a cheaper way of enjoying a WOWish type of game.That's all. And of course Lotro is a fantastic game and yes i am playing it now that it's free.Cause LOTRO is NOT a WoW clone imo.

No thanks, QOL.

No thanks, QOL.