Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: PAX Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware has released the latest trailer from Star Wars: The Old Republic. The video was shown during last weekend's PAX in Seattle, Washington. The video features a boatload of roleplay conversations with NPCs, cinematic interaction and combat with many character archetypes showing off their moxy. Check it out!

Click the image below to check out the trailer at GamerTube.com:

The Jedi Civil War left many unanswered questions. In the difficult days following the showdown between Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the Jedi Order struggled to survive, leaving little time for investigations. Redeemed as a Jedi, Revan traveled into deep space in search of a mysterious evil. We now know that the source of this evil was the reconstituted Sith Empire, but that solves only a portion of the mystery…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Combat still looks very stiff. Maybe a frame-rate issue but i hope the action in the finished game is more fluid and organic.

That Chiss was looking good tho.

This have been a good conversation

• faylon7faylon7 Member UncommonPosts: 12

That was Amazing, reminds me of how the Mass Effect quests seem to go. 

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

I'm glad they've decided to show some of the armor diversity, though most of the outfits made me want to gag. The Tribal look of the Sith Inquisitor was a little over the top for me, so was the other sith's almost steampunk look. On the other hand the Imperial Agent looked a little too bland. But hopefully this just shows that there will be a wide range of options.

Gameplay looks like your standard MMO, which is fine. I really dislike the turn towards arcade style combat in MMOs recently.

• bronzeroninbronzeronin Member Posts: 89

Yeah but they are showing (hopefully) that there is some level of character customization.  Some people will create the most off the wall toons just to be different or get a rise out of the purist.  Saw a thread that had a shopped pic of Vader with some stuff on his helmet and was wondering what they were alluding to until I saw this vid earlier this morning but I still am a fan of customization and if they are using some stuff that jibes with some local or group then great.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

Bleh... The gameplay looks so bad still. "Don't worry gais! I'll just stand here and let them shoot me with blasters." At least put some sense of urgency... Rolling out of the way, diving behind cover... It's turning space warfare back to colonial. Lets line up our troops stand there and shoot at each other. Guildwars 2 has better than this and it's free to play. Just a simple moving around while attacking mechanic would do wonders. Make it actually feel engaging. Instead of a long range point and click and wait till it dies.

• VoltureXVoltureX Member UncommonPosts: 13

WoW starwars with world of warcraft GFX... sad to see. Hope for Bioware someone will love this game just not me.

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

I'll probablly still buy it, but this video didnt do the game any justice.  Made it look flat out boring...

Uhh... what?

• baradhbaradh Member Posts: 2

I believe this is the first trailer of the to-be dungeons of the game. So first glimpse of the widened gameplay features? We were getting nearly no data of the end-game. Just PvP and nothing more. First sign of the PvE structure within the game? Not bad at all...

• BaromegaBaromega Member UncommonPosts: 11

Meh, watching that hasn't made me want this game anymore. If anything, all it did was make this game looks like WoW with more focus on story. 

• LrgShadowLrgShadow Member UncommonPosts: 61

Awwww.  I just got hit by the nostalgia truck <3

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

SMORPG ? Small Multiplayer Online RPG ? It looks like a game which is going to cater to storyline lovers and small circles of friends ( up to 4 ? ), think Left for Dead. It could be fun, but is the story going to be high enough quality to pay for it monthly ? On a side note: right now the game seems to be badly optimised, fps is horrible.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

The armors look awesome.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Blindchance

SMORPG ? Small Multiplayer Online RPG ? It looks like a game which is going to cater to storyline lovers and small circles of friends ( up to 4 ? ), think Left for Dead. It could be fun, but is the story going to be high enough quality to pay for it monthly ? On a side note: right now the game seems to be badly optimised, fps is horrible.

If SW:TOR is a SMORPG, then WoW and LotrO are too. It's really as simple as that.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

The funny thing about all these moaners is that they some how think that just because PAX may havebeen the last show for Bioware to attend and show TOR, somehow all the information and reveals will cease to happen.

I hope they know that all one needs to do is log into the main TOR forum and one can get all the latest information about the game as it is released.

Do some people actually think that Bioware is not gonna release information on crafting, raids, PVP and End game content before release. To think this way is being somewhat dimwitted and naive.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by cyphers

If SW:TOR is a SMORPG, then WoW and LotrO are too. It's really as simple as that.

It's pretty obvious swtor is an mmo in every sense of the word, but I must admit there isn't that much hardcore undisputable facts proving his notion otherwise by that I mean there isn't many gameplay video's of players completing quests together in an open world preferably from mid-level characters. I'm not saying they don't exist just I haven't seen many. 

I think thats what Bioware should focus on next. More gamplay video's of 4 or 5 people completing a quest in a open world to really remove this notion.

Anyway nice video, cool cinematic and armour.

• InvaderGUIInvaderGUI Member Posts: 62

Im still not sure im gonna spend a monthly for KoToR 3. And with no space flight sept for a crappy arcade rail this game will bite hard and only hardcore Star Wars fanbois will ever enjoy it. They still have yet to show us anything other then KoToR 3 with very little multyplayer anything. The only way I would ever buy this game is if they had a Guild Wars style of MMO. Just buy the box and play online for free. Have yet to see anything that would qualify this as an MMO. 

• bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99

That was awesome! Sign me up now!

• RakaraiRakarai Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Warband

Originally posted by cyphers

It's pretty obvious swtor is an mmo in every sense of the word, but I must admit there isn't that much hardcore undisputable facts proving his notion otherwise by that I mean there isn't many gameplay video's of players completing quests together in an open world preferably from mid-level characters. I'm not saying they don't exist just I haven't seen many. 

I think thats what Bioware should focus on next. More gamplay video's of 4 or 5 people completing a quest in a open world to really remove this notion.

Anyway nice video, cool cinematic and armour.

By that logic if not shown in full and explained in grand detail it doesn't exist. So by that logic GW2 hasn't explained in full the crafting system, so obviously the crafting system in GW2 sucks. We don't know all the classes of GW2 the classes we don't know are stupid, obviously if they didn't release all the classes its because they suck. Why haven't we seen full on end game in GW2, tha that means end game is stupid and will also suck. I haven't seen 500 people all in one area in GW2 that means they can't handle it!

Using the logic of what we haven't seen is stupid logic you can make any game sound terrible.  This is a trolling match and I realize logic isn't wanted, but god damn seriously its like you guys act as if you're plugging your ears and going lalala when information is given for swtor.

Darth hater showed a long time ago that the AI in swtor was smart, that it circled around you and even played dead at times, they have shown this MONTHS ago. They have shown what kind of loot drops we will see and the full on gameplay mechanics of the trooper class. This was done a long while ago.

Saying that this game can't be an mmo because you haven't seen that it is, is just illogical and I think you belong with the ICP crowd that thinks everything is magical and science is silly.

Not only that but seriously you guys contradict yourself in the same posts, how the hell do you contradict yourself in the same sentence, really...you need to learn how to make better arguments. You can't say this game is wow with lightsabers and a single player game in the same sentence, because newsflash wow is an MMO I don't know if you realize this, but if swtor is wow...then that means...you guessed it swtor is ...and MMO! my god

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by InvaderGUI

Im still not sure im gonna spend a monthly for KoToR 3. And with no space flight sept for a crappy arcade rail this game will bite hard and only hardcore Star Wars fanbois will ever enjoy it. They still have yet to show us anything other then KoToR 3 with very little multyplayer anything. The only way I would ever buy this game is if they had a Guild Wars style of MMO. Just buy the box and play online for free. Have yet to see anything that would qualify this as an MMO. 

I guess you must not have seen or read a lot about SW:TOR. That can happen.

There's enough demo footage around though that shows all kinds of players running around as in any other MMO newbie  zone, and people having grouped up doing quests and traveling the zones together.

Other MMO's don't have any space combat or even sea or air combat as well and they seem to be doing well, so I don't see how it's as much of a problem. I think SW:TOR will have a sizeable playerbase already with Star Wars fans, KOTOR fans and fans of Bioware games, so as a start that isn't bad at all. Besides the MMO gamers looking for a fresh, new quality themepark MMO rich in content of course.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• sudsboysudsboy Member Posts: 45

Looks fun to me, but I would rather play the MMO that all the posters on this site are going to build.  

With all this insight, clear sense of absolute right and wrong in game design, and vision in such abundance that others work is worth little more than a dismissive sentence or two, I'm sure all the supra-geniuses around here could whip something up in an afternoon or two that would redefine the genre.

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

Originally posted by sudsboy

Looks fun to me, but I would rather play the MMO that all the posters on this site are going to build.  

With all this insight, clear sense of absolute right and wrong in game design, and vision in such abundance that others work is worth little more than a dismissive sentence or two, I'm sure all the supra-geniuses around here could whip something up in an afternoon or two that would redefine the genre.

^ This. Enough said.

• kcypher2000kcypher2000 Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by PiratePete

Bleh... The gameplay looks so bad still. "Don't worry gais! I'll just stand here and let them shoot me with blasters." At least put some sense of urgency... Rolling out of the way, diving behind cover... It's turning space warfare back to colonial. Lets line up our troops stand there and shoot at each other. Guildwars 2 has better than this and it's free to play. Just a simple moving around while attacking mechanic would do wonders. Make it actually feel engaging. Instead of a long range point and click and wait till it dies.

This is the problem with most posters.  they have never played an mmo and have no idea what they are whining about.  Enemies stand still in EVERY MMO genius.   If you have not played an mmo and want a fpser with cover minded ai then go play Halo.

Also why are people whining that it looks boring?  This trailer was to hype the pve end game aspect of the game by showing how instances and the like would work not get you to buy tickets to a summer block buster.   Besides it showed more interaction here than in most games where you will just jump into random dungeon and kill enemy dragon for mad loots.  

Lot of people here need to wait till the game comes out and shut up already.  We won't know if its good or bad until then. 

• bronzeroninbronzeronin Member Posts: 89

I second that kcypher.  By the way I think you spelled something wrong isn't it lootz not loots?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by donjuanamigo

Originally posted by sudsboy

^ This. Enough said.

Or as the HK-47-alike in the trailer said: "Interjection: Silence, meatbags!" : )

I liked the trailer, and I'd really like to know what happened to Revan (total KOTOR geek).

Appreciate that not everyone would feel the same way though.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Nice I enjoyed that, kinda get  chuckle out of the haters, nit picking at evertything, some folks need toget al ife..LOL or stay in wow no room here LOL