Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First shot at Over Clocking, Advice Please

mudstuckmudstuck Member Posts: 203

Well here goes nothing. I have a E 5300 2.6, That is pretty new, has the core duo architecture, and I want to overclock it without getting into radical voltage changes. From what Ive read, I can get it into the 3 ghz neighborhood, or a little over, without altering the voltages radically.

I havent yet read or found exactly how to do that, step by step, and was wondering if you folks could walk me through it.

My RAM is DDR2 667 from G skill, the timings are 4-4-4-12 voltage is 1.8 - 1.9.  It's a 2gx2 dual channel kit.

the Mobo is a Gigabyte GA- 945gcmx s2 with fsb of 1066, well it says fsb 1066 on the board I wonder if that is the OC number.

It seems Ive read about just uping the FSB and getting modest gains, but I never remember where I read this stuff, and forget things fast , unless I do them.

So again I come to you all for help, and instruction.

I have already applied some artic silver, and that brought my idle temps from 44 down to 36 so I feel ready to take the plunge and try this.

Thanks Y'all

Comments

• mudstuckmudstuck Member Posts: 203

well never mind I guess, looks like this Proc was a turkey from day 1. It's only running at 1200 MHz, thought it was the halt and stepping, but after finding out how to disable these in BIOS, it still runs at 1200 MHz.

Ha that officially makes every penny Ive spent at New egg, a complete waste, as every single item I bought from them doesnt work.

Have a nice life

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

First of all it is not the retailers fault if a part doesn't work unless they actually repacked it knowing it had an error or sold a processor as a faster one then it actually is (I know a store that actually did this but not someone like Newegg, that is extremly unlikely). It is the fault of the manufacturer of the part.

In this case your problem can be one of 2.

Either the CPU doesn't work as it should. You could try to clock it up to the correct speed and see if it works but I am giving this a low chance of being the problem, I never heard of a CPU with a similar problem.

My bet is that the motherboard is the problem here.

My first advice is to flash the BIOS, that is the most logical problem. I rarely recommend anyone to actually do this since there is a small chance (1-5%) that it stops working when you do this but it seems like it is worth the chance. But you can try to just set the BIOS at default setting first and see if it helps you.

If that doesn't I would mail Newegg about the problem and have them replace the MB.

Broken MBs are very common today and while Gigabyte usually is a good buy since they use the same components as ASUS but costs a lot less they are worse on controlling their boards. Even AAA manufacturers like ASUS and A-BIT have had large problems at times with broken MBs and I think I replaced about 20 MBs for buddies that either didn't work as intended, broke after a short time or never worked at all. It is the thirdly most common problem after crashed hard drives and DDR memories that overheated and partly died.

It does not matter who you buys hardware from, it is impossible to be 100% sure that a computer works as intended, no matter if you buy it as lose parts or as a pre built system.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Deleted User

well never mind I guess, looks like this Proc was a turkey from day 1. It's only running at 1200 MHz, thought it was the halt and stepping, but after finding out how to disable these in BIOS, it still runs at 1200 MHz.

Ha that officially makes every penny Ive spent at New egg, a complete waste, as every single item I bought from them doesnt work.

Have a nice life

It sounds like you're seeing the idle frequency, not the load frequency.   Processors clock down at idle to save on power.  Try running something that will keep the processor busy and see what happens to the clock rate.  If you're going to overclock it, you should probably try Prime95 for a stress test anyway.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Look at the motherboard and tell us what the revision number is, the manual should tell you where it is, probably long the edge of the board.

If you have the LOGO turned on [default from the factory], hit the DEL key repeatedly when you turn the computer on.  Look around the BIOS, find the LOGO and turn it off.  It always helps to read the manual, in this case, where to find the LOGO.  While in the BIOS you can also see what speed the CPU is running at.

After the LOGO is turned off, when most of the black screen is full [first page], hit the Pause key.  Look for the BIOS revision, the location for this information is in the manual too.  Usually located in the top left or bottom left corner of the screen, but not always.

Older motherboards like yours require you to push and hold down the Crtl+F1 key at the same time in order to see all BIOS settings.

Let us know what you find out.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by swing848

Look at the motherboard and tell us what the revision number is, the manual should tell you where it is, probably long the edge of the board.

If you have the LOGO turned on [default from the factory], hit the DEL key repeatedly when you turn the computer on.  Look around the BIOS, find the LOGO and turn it off.  It always helps to read the manual, in this case, where to find the LOGO.  While in the BIOS you can also see what speed the CPU is running at.

After the LOGO is turned off, when most of the black screen is full [first page], hit the Pause key.  Look for the BIOS revision, the location for this information is in the manual too.  Usually located in the top left or bottom left corner of the screen, but not always.

Older motherboards like yours require you to push and hold down the Crtl+F1 key at the same time in order to see all BIOS settings.

Let us know what you find out.

Sorry went through a fit of, I give up, and deleted my account, getting pretty frustrated going through lots of parts just trying to make a beter machine.

It's a revision 4.

Ive been into the BIOS to the area where you overclock, so I know where that is. It does'nt quite have the same things that Im seeing in info about overclocking that processor.

And Im not finding clear instructions on overclocking  on that motherboard.

Yes the manual I have it does not give me an understanding of what to do, probably someone else , yes, but not me.

I did put the original processor back in, and it does show on rightmark and CPUID as running it's correct speed

It's a 3.2 pentiumD

And it runs much beter than the E 5300. Which futher makes me beleive that the E 5300 is really only running at 1,200 mhz.

I have had that,  E 5300, processor in two other mobo's since I bought it, and both boards failed within a week.

From all the information I have found, the E 5300 should out perform the pentium D by a noticable margin.

As for Overclocking on this board. I tried changing the settings a little, with this processor, and they save in BIOS, yet, when I boot up, rightmark and CPUID indicate no change in anything.

So I put all the settings back to original, and here I am.

I am willing to try anything at this point, if I can just get some clear step by step instructions. General instructions, dont do me much good.

I have a genetic desease that make thinking very very hard, and it worsens with stress.

However I can follow step by step just fine. part A in slot A, etc. But part A in the slot to the left of the one next the one that looks like...., I cannot do.

If your willing to give me a hand , Im gratefull, and willing to try.

Thankyou

OK I went to the BIOS and looked for LOGO and found nothing that said that.

However I failed to mention before, that in the PC health status area in BIOS, when the E 5300 was in, the part that says V Core, said Failed.

Now whith this proc it says, OK. seeing that jogged my mind and I remembered the reading there before. And I saw that ,with the other proc, before I attempted to change anything.

Have you gone to the motherboard manufacturer's web page to get the latest BIOS?  If you're using a BIOS from before the Core 2 Duo launched, the motherboard may mishandle it.  A Core 2 Duo should give around double the performance of a Pentium D at a given clock speed.

No I didn't.

I can put the 5300 back in and do that. Should it then BE giving me the correct reading on CPUID and/or Rightmark?

Oh and does the Vore Fail hurt my mobo?

I'd get the latest BIOS first, and then put the Core 2 Duo back in, and see if it works right.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the BIOS update notes to see if they added support for your processor at some point, either.

well I found 945gcmx s2 rev 6.6, and there are different things to download. But my board is rev 4, so Im not too sure what to do.

The other two boards I had this on , I did put the latest bios on, but they both supported this proc, anyway, one was a brand new board, and this proc never showed running more than 1,200 mhz. on either one. And considering that both boards went bad within a week of putting this proc on, I beter not go further with it.

I have no way of replaceing this PC, am lucky to have food and a room at my friends house. It wasnt too bad when I had three PC's but now I am down to one, due to this proc, it would seem. At least it is the common thread.

Just too risky as the gigabyte site is unclear to me. Makes no sense to me. After all this board shows this proc on it's support list, and the rev notes on 6.6 says nothing about added cpu support, just the OC 1333 FSB in bios, which this board already has, but does'nt help me cause this proc only supports an 800 FSB.

I can't risk it.

And I looked every where for info on the vcore fail, no one seems to know what that means, most think it's a mobo prob, but cant be as it doesnt fail with the dual core pentium D.

Im beggining to think all this tech stuff is just an educated guessing game, one that I cannot metabolize, or afford to play.

Thanks anyway.

Have you tried contacting Gigabyte support?

Support Phone Number: 1-626-854-9338

http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

I think I'll pass on the whole thing, no long distance phone, once a long time ago, when I did get hold of them I couldn't make sense of what they were telling me, not their fault, as I said if something isn't real clear I am physically incapable of understanding it, this damn disease. I just lock up and get physically Ill and start shaking, sometimes loose the ability to speak, or just explode, sux but there it is.

This is confusing me enough now that I am having troube with my hands, hard to type.

anyway again thanks, I really cant do any more.

Overclocking is not important.

You are important, not your computer.

I wish the best for you.