Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Positive Features of FFXIV with Justified Views!

Comments

• OmasuOmasu Member Posts: 51

I think its awesome because it very quickly leaves you with a lot of free time to explore. Its not like other games where you have fun advancing in level and progressing .... the developer sure hit this area on the mark. They leave you with so little to do after your initial 4 quests that you're forced into figuring out crafting, harvesting or something equally as grinding I mean, why would people want to have fun killing stuff, progressing your character, and leveling up when you can be lost and restricted on growth ? 

I just wish there was more people wondering what to do after those 4 quests. It's like they expect to just run around and kill stuff in a video game ... and in an mmo ? Ridiculous. 

The other awesome part ? Gear. We don't need mobs to drop equipment. We don't need vendors. Lets all craft stuff and set up shops so that we can fully immerse ourselves in this world that will surely take forever (in real world time) to explore. WOOO ! FFXIV !

• SchaapjeSchaapje Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Why are new and advanced lighting effects good?  Like so many things in this game, it conributes towards greater immersion in the game world.

It also contributes to slow framerates on all but the most up to date machines if badly programmed, which unfortunatly is the case here. Sure it looks great on screenshots, but most players will be in for a nasty surprise, as soon as they want to move around.

The Animations are top notch though, gotta agree with that.

Put a sock in it you whiner. You've been talking smack about this game in other topics too.

You clearly don't like the game, so leave it at, and go somewhere else.

I have a 9800 GTX+, q6600, 2gb of ram and I can play this game on the highest settings without lag from the game or stuttering from graphics. This goes for other people as well. Just a few people have this problem. Which can easily be solved by either shutting down background programs that don't even need to be running or lower your graphic settings.

Also, have you even send a ticket to the support desk about this problem? I bet you haven't.

• TryphodemosTryphodemos Member Posts: 40

What I like most -- or better put -- look forward to the most in FFXIV is the complexity of character building. There are so much factors to keep in mind that it wil give mix/maxers a good run for they're money.

First there are the basic stats and the class skill/spell combinations to fool around with and not much later there are Abilities and Traits added for consideration. On top of this of course come your good old gear combinations.

When you add it all up, I think it is almost impossible in FFXIV to have two (statistically wise) completely identical characters running around, unless people copy builds on purpose.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by Illyssia

It is great to be able to play a new polished non-eeezzzeee mode PvE mmo.

with a non-immersive world and no jumping =)

Just teasing,though it is true. I just cant get past the art style. I respect the game fans but I just cant do it lol

hate the way the characters look. Hate the lack of jumping or swimming. I mean it seems trivial I guess (though it isnt though because it aids immersion) but it is the 21st century. ALL MMO games should have the basics. I think peoples love of the game is great. It is an eastern MMO for Easterners or those who like Eastern art and games. 400 to 500k max subs less than 100k in the west ;)

The characters can sort of leap up or down obstacles if possible. I just think it a bit of a joke by SE as they didn't put it on the emote list...maybe another would do though. Anyway, if playing FF you will be in safe hands as SE will patch and improve...can't wait to see what they put in long-term.
  • Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

I love the fact that its a good PVE game,

Dont get me wrong I grew up with PvP MMORPG's but latley I don't have to mutch time and with PvP games I always feel like I have to play as mutch as poseble to catch up with others players or els you get ganked by higher lvl's this time with FF14 I don't have to worrie for people that lvl faster and I can just take my time to explore the map and do what i feel like doing. Beside that if I want good PvP I just play a FPS for a few hours to get rid of my agresion :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Storyline:

Although FFXIV could do with a bit more voice acting in my opinion, it is still highly unusual for an MMO to put this much thought into storyline and characters.

You do have some very interesting things going on in the world of FFXIV, which is often well presented through some interesting cutscenes.

Crafting & Gathering:

The process for these is pretty interesting, especially the way you have to carefully make your way to a certain resource.

Animations:

The running animations in particular are very well done.

Amour & Clothing:

I really like the style presented here when it comes to gear, something which I like about previous Final Fantasy games as well! Certainly a forte of the series...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Just teasing,though it is true. I just cant get past the art style. I respect the game fans but I just cant do it lol

hate the way the characters look. Hate the lack of jumping or swimming. I mean it seems trivial I guess (though it isnt though because it aids immersion) but it is the 21st century. ALL MMO games should have the basics. I think peoples love of the game is great. It is an eastern MMO for Easterners or those who like Eastern art and games. 400 to 500k max subs less than 100k in the west ;)

i bet it gets amill

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• z8195az8195a Member UncommonPosts: 17

The "Everything you need to know" sticky nails it.  These are the best things about FFXIV:

1. You can not jump in this game.

2. PvP will be an afterthought at best.  PvE is heavily emphasized.

It might sound silly, but it's profoundly true.  I feel an MMO is defined more by its community than by its feature set.  However, the absence of two simple feature like jumping and PvP, makes this game unappealing to a large number of nefarious players.

I played both EQ and WoW for many years.  In all the countless PuGs and a dozen or so guilds I went through, I never met a "jumper" who was a nice person.  Of course the non-stop jumping was annoying, but sooner or later these "jumper" characters always showed other character flaws.  Hardcore PvPr's would also turn out to be undesirable as friends 80% of the time.

Am I "profiling" or "discriminating"?  Yes, probably both.   So be it.   I have high hopes for a great community with the absence of these two features.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Raxeon

i bet it gets amill

11 never got nearly that much no way of thinking this one will do double lol

I'd say it sells a mil easy. I doubt it will keep a million subs though.

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

I'm a 'jumper' in most games and I'd like to think that I'm a nice guy and a skilled player.

Anyway, something that I'd like to add about the community.. the beta community is actually pretty bad.  99.999% (repeating, of course) of individuals don't respond to questions or just normal speech / interactions.  Also I have seen more Japanese and Spanish language text from players than English, which is odd.. not a bad thing, but just shows that the English-speaking community right now in beta (on my server, anyway (Figaro)) isn't so great.  I look forward to a good community at launch but I don't know.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• mobigglymobiggly Member CommonPosts: 11

I like how the general consensus of people who want jumping in their games are just button mashing spazzes.  But the reason I don't like games that don't have jumping or swimming is because it shows me the developers are either lazy or cheap.  If you can't jump, when you get to a cliff or a bridge, you don't have to worry about bringing to life any places someone could land.  It means no climbing or shortcuts or exploration.  Same with water.  No swimming equals not having to design areas under lakes, rivers and oceans.  So it seems funny how everyone can gush over the immersion due to the pretty graphics, but not be bothered at all about no swimming and jumping.

• Lord_ZLord_Z Member UncommonPosts: 157

Story Questlines

I've played a lot of MMORPGs, however I've rarely seen ones which offer quests with detailed storys and nice cutscenes to follow. Usually you only get a cutscene at the beginning, and perhaps at a check point somewhere later on, maybe. The only thing missing is voice acting in some of them.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

lol @ the sad fools unable to help themselves from bringing negative views to a thread that explicitly asks for positive ones.

My favorite aspect of FFXIV is the class system. I love being able to pick and choose from the skills of all the jobs I've leveled and try out different combinations. It rewards having an "alt " mentality.

I also really dig the subtle design nods to FFXI. Not just the obvious like races, but also how things like the landscapes have remixed elements from zones in FFXI. For example the zone outside Limsa Lominsa having elements of La Theine plateau, Gridania looking like Windhurst and so forth. Even the armor have these subtle cues - the old lizard leather armor being hinted at through colour scheme and patterning on a set of low level cloth gear. Little details like that, clearly a lot of love has gone into making the world.

Currently Playing: The Game

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

its not expensive to upgrade your computer to be able to run this game, it would cost 400-500 bucks to build a computer capable of playing this game, why do people think you need a machine capable of running a missle to run this game, just because it doesnt look like a cartoon?

There are very few games i know i would like at first glance, People ay this game is going to die, lets face facts here, the 3 longest running MMOs are Final fantasy 11, City of heroes, and lineage 2, all have been running longer then WoW, all will please their target audience.

I dont care how rocky the launch is for 14, even if it is, it will be a lot better to invest my time in this MMO then anything else coming out now or the near future.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• jojotheduckjojotheduck Member UncommonPosts: 19

I like that you have to actually figure stuff out. No blinking question marks or glowing symbols and arrows pointing you in the exact direction you need to go. My only problem is that the controls for PC players w/o a PS3/Xbox controller can be a little difficult, but at least it's not the same old point and click.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by WSIMike

What century we're in has nothing to do with whether a game has jumping or swimming. There's nothing "21st Century' about either mechanic. Donkey Kong had jumping in 1983.

It's a design decision based on the needs of the game in question.

There is no "rule" that states jumping and swimming are "requirements" of any MMO, in any century. There is no rule that a MMORPG "must" have anything, other than to be online and support thousands of people simultaneously logged in sharing the same world.

It's the same as people saying "A MMORPG must have PvP or it's not a real MMO". Again.. No.. it's personal preference. There is no rule that states a MMORPG must have PvP, and there is no rule stating that a MMO must have jumping or swimming.

And no, there is no "standard" either.

It's all about personal preference, and personal preference is not a mandate.

No rule of course but you must understand there are a large portion of potential players turned off by that right? I mean you can see that right? ;)    I mean which is it? Needs of the game in question? or Personal preference? you even seem confused on which it is. Of course it is a 'design' decision not a personal one. Plus it is a world full of life and graphics that pop so it just seems like a silly thing to leave out thats my 'personal' opinion. In fact, to ALOT of people, it is a deal breaker. GW didnt have jumping either but it was said BY the developers it was a mistake they wouldnt make again lol GW2 has swimming and jumping ;)  Kills the Illusion of controlling an avatar in a virtual world. Not hating on the game really just on a silly design decision. No flame to the eastern fantasy fans is meant.

I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I jumped over something in real life.  When I come up to a fence in real life, I very rarely jump over it- I normally walk the extra 5 feet to go around it, just like in this virtual world of FFXIV.

I certainly never come up to a mailbox in real life and jump on top of it and start dancing like John Travolta (and if I did, it wouldn't hold my weight).  That happens a lot in WoW.  But with WoW it makes sense- everyone's cartoony and goofy.  FFXIV is going for realism.

I'd advise the "jumpers" to give this new feel a chance.  See if you can't enjoy realism over being able to jump (or fly like in some other games).

It's not lazy programming.  If there's one thing you can't say about SE programmers, it's that they're lazy.  Putting in jumping would've been easy compared to all they've done.  It's clearly a design descision.

If anything, it's clear to me at leas that the jumping thing is a matter of opinion rather than fact, one way or the other.  You see it as bad and I see it as good.  I for one am glad that when I come upon a camp or the leve desk, there's not 50 people jumping around like rabbits.  Instead it looks like what I'd expect, people walking and standing around conducting business.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I played FFXI for years, and not adding jumping allowed SE to do some very cool things as far as exploration / maze type terrain.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Jimmydean

I played FFXI for years, and not adding jumping allowed SE to do some very cool things as far as exploration / maze type terrain.

Oops....that was the lamest excuse I ever heard.

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Originally posted by WSIMike

What century we're in has nothing to do with whether a game has jumping or swimming. There's nothing "21st Century' about either mechanic. Donkey Kong had jumping in 1983.

It's a design decision based on the needs of the game in question.

There is no "rule" that states jumping and swimming are "requirements" of any MMO, in any century. There is no rule that a MMORPG "must" have anything, other than to be online and support thousands of people simultaneously logged in sharing the same world.

It's the same as people saying "A MMORPG must have PvP or it's not a real MMO". Again.. No.. it's personal preference. There is no rule that states a MMORPG must have PvP, and there is no rule stating that a MMO must have jumping or swimming.

And no, there is no "standard" either.

It's all about personal preference, and personal preference is not a mandate.

No rule of course but you must understand there are a large portion of potential players turned off by that right? I mean you can see that right? ;)    I mean which is it? Needs of the game in question? or Personal preference? you even seem confused on which it is. Of course it is a 'design' decision not a personal one. Plus it is a world full of life and graphics that pop so it just seems like a silly thing to leave out thats my 'personal' opinion. In fact, to ALOT of people, it is a deal breaker. GW didnt have jumping either but it was said BY the developers it was a mistake they wouldnt make again lol GW2 has swimming and jumping ;)  Kills the Illusion of controlling an avatar in a virtual world. Not hating on the game really just on a silly design decision. No flame to the eastern fantasy fans is meant.

I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I jumped over something in real life.  When I come up to a fence in real life, I very rarely jump over it- I normally walk the extra 5 feet to go around it, just like in this virtual world of FFXIV.

I certainly never come up to a mailbox in real life and jump on top of it and start dancing like John Travolta (and if I did, it wouldn't hold my weight).  That happens a lot in WoW.  But with WoW it makes sense- everyone's cartoony and goofy.  FFXIV is going for realism.

I'd advise the "jumpers" to give this new feel a chance.  See if you can't enjoy realism over being able to jump (or fly like in some other games).

It's not lazy programming.  If there's one thing you can't say about SE programmers, it's that they're lazy.  Putting in jumping would've been easy compared to all they've done.  It's clearly a design descision.

If anything, it's clear to me at leas that the jumping thing is a matter of opinion rather than fact, one way or the other.  You see it as bad and I see it as good.  I for one am glad that when I come upon a camp or the leve desk, there's not 50 people jumping around like rabbits.  Instead it looks like what I'd expect, people walking and standing around conducting business.

Well that is the arguement always used when someone mentions jumping. The Jumpers are WOW people and jump around like idiots. Bunny hopping around the world and making the big serious grownups angry  >=(

Jumping has been in games long before WOW that isnt the issue.  That is just a way for you to put WOW into the conversation for some reason. SE decided to not add the feature that is fine but dont think for a second that jumping is a throw away feature. I played EQ for years I could jump over a ledge instead of being force pathed 20 feet away. It is a fantasy game with little creatures and elves and crap, cant enjoy realism? what reality do you live in?

But I do get that some people dont say they care. Though if it was added tomorrow? you would enjoy the feature being in the game ;)

game world isnt designed for it it will not happen

Originally posted by paterah

lol its actully true

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Raxeon

Originally posted by paterah

lol its actully true

Being a grown man in the real world... and not a pro or pass time athelete...

I cant think of the last time ive actually "Jumped" to do anything? And i bet 90% of you cant think of the last time you jumped either.

Its not a normal action, nobody does it unless they have a reason to do it, so not having jump is not, nor would it ever be a game breaking feature.

Everytiime i think about it, the only time people jump is when they display their ADD between pulls when they jump in place for 10-20 secons while the mob i running at them.

What a stupid issue for people to get hung up over.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson