Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its not a trial as most seem to think

Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

For all those complaining about the lack of content, the lag and connection problems (which seems to be 99%) of all "issues" as you put them. This is an Open beta to stress test the servers - how else are they going to know how much each can hold. I can't find the post (im sure someone will find it) - but somewhere it was announced that alot of the content is held back as they don't want to give it away for free.

If the UI and game style is not your thing, fine. Don't order it. But those are not issues....

I am undecided myslef about the game style, as it does realy come down to being a console game on a PC - that feels much more comftable with a pad - Much like Last Remnant was. I hate consoles, and I did not spend all my time making my PC to play console games.

But I need to say again - the open beta is not a FREE TRIAL!

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The players who call it a trial are pretty dead set in their view, they won't see it for what it is to developers no matter how many times you try and explain it.

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

People who delude themselves into thinking there will be a miracle patch on release and scream "It's just a beta!" are pretty stuck in their ways as well.

You'd think after all these years and so many MMOs, gamers would understand by now.

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

Lol, one side, "This will be a steaming pile of garbage because of some things I find mildly annoying"

The other side, "This game is the second coming, and everything bad will be made right by divine intervention come release day"

They have endless arguments on these forums.

Most people fall in the middle, and it all comes down to one thing, "is it fun?"

These people don't post here.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by Professor78

For all those complaining about the lack of content, the lag and connection problems (which seems to be 99%) of all "issues" as you put them. This is an Open beta to stress test the servers - how else are they going to know how much each can hold. I can't find the post (im sure someone will find it) - but somewhere it was announced that alot of the content is held back as they don't want to give it away for free.

If the UI and game style is not your thing, fine. Don't order it. But those are not issues....

I am undecided myslef about the game style, as it does realy come down to being a console game on a PC - that feels much more comftable with a pad - Much like Last Remnant was. I hate consoles, and I did not spend all my time making my PC to play console games.

But I need to say again - the open beta is not a FREE TRIAL!

Open Beta is treated like a FREE TRIAL by many people. The fact is that the game is not going to change much in the last few weeks prior to the launch. If you already dislike the game, there will not be a magic patch that suddendly changes the core mechanics of the game.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by TsukieU

Lol, one side, "This will be a steaming pile of garbage because of some things I find mildly annoying"

The other side, "This game is the second coming, and everything bad will be made right by divine intervention come release day"

Most people fall in the middle, and it all comes down to one thing, "is it fun?"

As we both know "fun" is a relative term. But I know what youre trying to say. FF14 seems to be a long term game some grind behind it so its very hard to form an opinion just after playing a few hours. But I have to say the controls and how you CANT customize them the way you want bugs the hell out of me.

I still havent found any button for journal yet. so you have to click 3-4 to read the quest. And that is just one out of 100 that is anoying.

But I am still learning to see through the flawed keymapping and play alittle more to see it from a larger view.

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

You all are correct, as hard as that pill is to get down.  Those who are saying "there is not enough content" must be enjoying themselves playing and want more. The ones who don't like the UI because it plays better with a controller just don't like consoles more than they don't like the game. The "it's only beta stress test" players are doing the wait and see and hope for fixes.  They all end up on forums because it's the second best thing we gamers do.. we rant for and against games.  We are a very passionate group of people and because we love MMO's we are the most social, we like to interact.   So keep on doing what we do best, gaming and talking about it. 

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Originally posted by Dancer

Those who are saying "there is not enough content" must be enjoying themselves playing and want more.

This beta seems specifically made for stress testing, only giving the guildleve quests and restricted areas. Will be great to see what the unresticted/cutback release wil be like.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Ralsar

People who delude themselves into thinking there will be a miracle patch on release and scream "It's just a beta!" are pretty stuck in their ways as well.

You'd think after all these years and so many MMOs, gamers would understand by now.

You would also think that after all these years the naysayers, hate mongers, trolls, and wolfcriers would stop by now....but alas we can't get that lucky either. However, a point that needs to be made, if a game is not realeased yet, and the company says they are doing 'some' kind of testing, then it is testing. SE is currently adding servers as they let more people into the open beta. They are doing load testing and puting out daily patches as they find issues that can easily be fixed. This guy I quoted here would like everyone to believe that SE is doing absolutely nothing right now, which is an outright lie. But its ok if people want to believe him, everyone has a right to be blinded by ignorance if they so desire it.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• bios5300bios5300 Member Posts: 38

I treat this game like a free trial.  The basic mechanics of the game are not going to change.  Yes there may be bug fixes, server tweaks, and content added, but the basics of the game are going to stay the same.

If I am really interested in a game I always try and beta test it, to see if I would like it.  I personally like ffxiv and will be buying it when it's released.  If I never tried the game, I would not drop down $75 at launch.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

The players who call it a trial are pretty dead set in their view, they won't see it for what it is to developers no matter how many times you try and explain it.

^^This.

Also as I have said beforel most of the "issues" are things that are either integral t the game and wont be changed ie. player driven economy and the UI or things that will defnitley be changed like the content and how many mobs are roaming around. But these trolls like to act like they have objective criticisms.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

Firstly what i have seen of the game whie playing its looking nice.

But theres is absulatly no excuse for not having mouse support implemented at this stage its pathetic.

Stateing it should be played with a controller or go get one is a joke.

I have never seen anything like this in my life and i been testing / playing mmos for 11 yrs.

So yes while i appreciate we still in the very final stages of testing , i laugh at all the scorn being giving out to the people that have negative opinions at this poingt cause honestly they have a point and even im worried if they cant even do this weeks before release in 2010 , do we need to be testing mouse / keyboard control when its obviously borked? they should be imbaressed and really so should the people saying its beta your all noobs who think its just a free trial, while your correct on this you still sound like idiots.

If this was a console beta test and we moan about mouse and heyboard implementation then ok, but hey ho we testing on pc.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by patrikd23

Originally posted by TsukieU

As we both know "fun" is a relative term. But I know what youre trying to say. FF14 seems to be a long term game some grind behind it so its very hard to form an opinion just after playing a few hours. But I have to say the controls and how you CANT customize them the way you want bugs the hell out of me.

I still havent found any button for journal yet. so you have to click 3-4 to read the quest. And that is just one out of 100 that is anoying.

But I am still learning to see through the flawed keymapping and play alittle more to see it from a larger view.

I agree,having a simple "J" key tied to Journal is somethign that would/should have been done in Alpha stage or before that.The choices in game config are pretty much null and void,looks like something their tool set guy just started working on a few weeks into development.

This game is in pre release stage,this is not the first Beta stage,this game has already been tested for a few months and was supposedly according to Tanaka near ready last October,that is 11 months ago.

I think Tanaka and Square are following the same trends we see from most devs,they lie to us and are going to try and release an unfinished product.

How many days do you need to stress test a server?Over just one day you are going to have a huge influx of players coming and going,you will get to test several scenarios in just one day.Has Square made any adjustments to servers to see what works best?Who knows,the download patches have been VERY small files,i would say they have been doing VERY little to improve the game in Beta.

Even worse ,where is the feedback button,this was an EASY implementation IF Square really cares about feedback.Where is the error log and auto send log files to developer,so they can decipher them for fixing?This is common place for a good developer,i find Square is going about this Beta test in a half ass manner,not a professional one that actually cares about their product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

This stage is only stresstesting, why should they need to be patching, and need a feedback button. All that is already done. They are just working out the balance of load on servers.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

There was even an article on about this by MMORPG.COM staff a while back about this and they said Open Beta this close to launch IS seen by the devs as a free-trial used to generate word of mouth publicity and hype. That doesn't mean however that they aren't using it to stress test the servers, nor should players take what they see as the final launch product because their can be major changes right before launch. In the AoC (NDA lifted on that yet?) there was a patch a week before launch that changed the whole look and feel of the game.

• KogaDrakeKogaDrake Member Posts: 29

adjustments on the server to deal with the stress would likely have very small effects on our side in terms of files, so you wouldnt expect to have large file downloads for such changes anyways

as many have said this is not really a trial as not all content is available, but mostly a stress test on the servers.  Mot are right that issues we have in OB will most likely not be changed by the release, but as we have always sceen with any MMO release in the first few weeks there will be a patch almost every day, and it might take a game 1-2 months to work out alot of the minor issues that people have.  that being said if you dont like somethign as it, dont get the game at release and expect it to be changed, but be realistic that you will experiment with the game for a month or two and see what happens.  if your still not happy stop playing, and if you are then happy your not a month of playing behind everyone.  or if your not willing to spend the money to wait an see, just wait and watch the forums and patch notes, and decide later and be a little bit behind

Originally posted by dhayes68

There was even an article on about this by MMORPG.COM staff a while back about this and they said Open Beta this close to launch IS seen by the devs as a free-trial used to generate word of mouth publicity and hype. That doesn't mean however that they aren't using it to stress test the servers, nor should players take what they see as the final launch product because their can be major changes right before launch. In the AoC (NDA lifted on that yet?) there was a patch a week before launch that changed the whole look and feel of the game.

OMG MMORPG.com said it! It must be true!. They are the expertz!

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

Originally posted by Belarion

Well... It is true. Whether its a matter of fact or of opinion, who's word do you think carries more weight? The OP or the industry pros who run the site?

Well... It is true. Whether its a matter of fact or of opinion, who's word do you think carries more weight? The OP or the industry pros who run the site?

Lol Industry pros, like the guy who believes F2P is the future.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Professor78

For all those complaining about the lack of content, the lag and connection problems (which seems to be 99%) of all "issues" as you put them. This is an Open beta to stress test the servers - how else are they going to know how much each can hold.

Thats what they said about vanguard during OB.

Nonetheless, its clearly not case of customers arguing amongst themselves. An industry related voice has weighed in and came down on the side of OB being a trial. So the idea that its definitely not a trial and those who think so 'just don't get it' is wrong.

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by Ralsar

You would also think that after all these years the naysayers, hate mongers, trolls, and wolfcriers would stop by now....but alas we can't get that lucky either. However, a point that needs to be made, if a game is not realeased yet, and the company says they are doing 'some' kind of testing, then it is testing. SE is currently adding servers as they let more people into the open beta. They are doing load testing and puting out daily patches as they find issues that can easily be fixed. This guy I quoted here would like everyone to believe that SE is doing absolutely nothing right now, which is an outright lie. But its ok if people want to believe him, everyone has a right to be blinded by ignorance if they so desire it.

You put a lot of words in my mouth.  I never said it wasn't testing.  I never said SE isn't doing anything.  Nor am I a naysayer, hate monger, troll or wolfcrier.  I'm a level 5 Gladitor and I look like a sexy cat woman.  Sorry you read so much rabid hate into my simple addition to the post.

Based on the history of the MMO genre, all the various issues with the game will not be addressed at launch.  I would love to be wrong, but that has never been the case.  It will take SE well into 2011 before this game is what a lot of gamers would think is "ready for release".  Nothing abnormal here, it is just what it is.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

They released an open beta that everyone can participate into with 25 days remaining for the official launch of the game (17 days for the head start). You see, I really hoped it was only the lag of the servers but it's not. Most people are already dissapointed and unless there are huge changes they won't bother to buy it. There are many core things that I'm pretty sure won't be changed in that timeline.

Nonetheless, its clearly not case of customers arguing amongst themselves. An industry related voice has weighed in and came down on the side of OB being a trial. So the idea that its definitely not a trial and those who think so 'just don't get it' is wrong.

Ultimetely I agree that most companies and players see it as a free trial and PR. But I doubt think SE plays into that game.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Obviously it is both a test and a trial.  They do intend for people to try it or they would make it clear to everyone that the game as it is now is not what would be like at release.  Most people playing right now are trying it out.  SE knows this, they allow it, they intend it.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Trial or not the OP has it right that most think it's a free trial. I visit a lot of forums and the feedback so far about this game does not look very good. We shall see how much the small % of forum posters effects game sales.