Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7 activation

mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

Does anyone know off the top of there head what you are allowed to change in your computer system with a OEM copy of windows 7 and not have to buy a new copy? I have a system that has needed to be reinstalled on several times,now its prompting for me to call microsoft to get a activation. I have only changed the video card.   Thanks

Comments

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Your going to have to call them sadly.  I have had to do the same thing with my copy of Vista since I upgraded my video card as well.  From my understanding, when you first activate your copy, it takes a hash code of all the hardware you have in your computer at that time, so that in the event you need to reinstall as long as the hardware ID's match, it goes through.  Since you upgraded your video card, that hash ID is now changed, thus not allowing you to pass without calling and verifying.  Hopefully you can get it done quickly, and not be on hold for 25 mins like i was.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

An OEM version should be tied to your mobo and really nothing else. I've never heard of it asking for activation after switching out a gpu.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

The GPU is included in the hash ID from what i got told by them.  My video card broke, and xfx upgraded mine since they didn't make mine anymore, and since then I have to call them everytime I format.  It is a pain in the ass if you ask me.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

don't know that Windows 7 is any different, but generally the OS is not tied to a particular set of hardware, the activation is just to make sure that the OS isnt installed on more than one computer - i've had to reactivate XP a few times one of which was over the telephone, its a security measure, not a way of making you buy several copies of the OS........ though don't encourage them to start thinking that!!!

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Try removeWAT.

It's hardware independent.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Phry

don't know that Windows 7 is any different, but generally the OS is not tied to a particular set of hardware, the activation is just to make sure that the OS isnt installed on more than one computer - i've had to reactivate XP a few times one of which was over the telephone, its a security measure, not a way of making you buy several copies of the OS........ though don't encourage them to start thinking that!!!

Yes, the retail OS is tied to the original hardware configuration it was installed on. When you reactivate online the first time, it checks your cd key against your "product key". The product key is from a combination of your cd key and your hardware configuration to make a "product key". If you change the hardware, then go online Windows sees there's been a change and reverifies itself online. Now that the cd key and product key no longer match, you get to call MS to get a code to enter as a bypass ( you know, that code the nice Indian guy gave you to enter for XP). XP, Vista, Windows 7 all have this.

As stated by another poster above however, an OEM installation is tied to the motherboard; specifically, through the BIOS. This is why you see so many OEM disk pirated, because as long as you have a motherboard that was also used by the particular OEM manufacturer ( DELL, HP, etc. ) the OEM install will work without you needing an install key ( unless of course you have the same motherboard but not the same BIOS, which is easily changed ). As long as the motherboard is the same, the OS should reactivate automatically in the case of an OEM.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

You have 3 options.

1) Click the activate over the phone button... follow the directions... done in under 5 minutes.

2) Call microsoft like everyone else has stated and talk to someone who barely speaks english for 20 minutes.

3) RemoveWAT... never deal with this hassle again.

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

Called the toll-free number and used activation operator. But now am afraid I have have used the same code on 2 different systems.I have 2 OEM copys but getting strange dll errors trying to istall games also happening on newphews system. It they dectect code has been used on more than one system do they activate it but features slowly start to quit? Used 2 different disks for the installs.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by mundus01
    Called the toll-free number and used activation operator. But now am afraid I have have used the same code on 2 different systems.I have 2 OEM copys but getting strange dll errors trying to istall games also happening on newphews system. It they dectect code has been used on more than one system do they activate it but features slowly start to quit? Used 2 different disks for the installs.

You should not be getting errors. Microsoft either accepts or rejects access to the OS, they do not put software on your computer to cause problems.

You should list the error codes so that someone can help.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by mundus01

Does anyone know off the top of there head what you are allowed to change in your computer system with a OEM copy of windows 7 and not have to buy a new copy? I have a system that has needed to be reinstalled on several times,now its prompting for me to call microsoft to get a activation. I have only changed the video card.   Thanks

The highlighted portion should tell you why a call is being requested. Just call them, tell them what's up and they will happily do it for you. Hundreds of people do it everyday!