Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone try Uncharted Waters Online yet?

bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Would love to hear from someone who has played the old SNES version of the game. I played that game and beaten it many times on the various characters. Loved it and it brings back some good memories KOEI........

So anyone play it, is it like the SNES version and should I try it if it is. I know many mmorpg games that once were a classic game got bad mmo versions. I at least would hope this one would be good.  http://global.netmarble.com/uwo/main.asp

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

This person has: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/akira_sato25/092010/6675_Uncharted-Waters-Online-Review

she has a few blogs about it.

I'm waiting for the ob before I give it a go.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Same here. I signed up for beta, and waiting.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by stayontarget

This person has: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/akira_sato25/092010/6675_Uncharted-Waters-Online-Review

she has a few blogs about it.

I'm waiting for the ob before I give it a go.

Thanks. I will probably try it out, most likely launch as I hate betas.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

yea me too, there gonna wipe it anyways...so I'll wait.   should be a nice change of pace game I hope.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I played it a little.  It was a lot more faithful to the console games than I expected, though they did expand on it in a lot of ways.  The most glaring difference apart from new features is that travel times are really a lot longer.

But yeah, I'm mostly waiting for the official release, too.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

I'm an "Age of Sail" enthuiast & ex Potbs player so here is some quick feedback about Japan's Uncharted Waters Online after playing about a week of closed beta (which is free to join without a key)

Potbs is niche PVP ganking oriented which makes it very niche or not very popular but has one good feature & that is their excellent ship combat, in all other respects UWO beats it hands down.

Not only is UWO F2P it also has a vast amount of content & much larger world map being first released in 2005, CJ internet of Korea has invested in bringing us the English version of the same game which is relatively bug free.

You initially choose to be one of six nations. it has an innovative class system whereby players can change between being a merchant/trader, adventurer/explorer, or naval marine/soldier. You can become a pirate by attacking your own nation & have a bounty put on yourself.

It has a diverse player driven economy & there are many interesting skills to master.

It has a comprehensive school or academy which teaches you how to play while rewarding you with fame at the same time.

When your fame is high enough you get permits to travel to other more distant areas or maps in the world to trade with.

A certain amount of patience & time is required to open up trade & business opportunities within UWO, players wanting instant PVP would be better to wait a month or two until the servers mature a bit, there are plenty of safe areas around Europe for PVE & unsafe areas more towards the east or India.

It has far more content & depth, much larger than Potbs with quite acceptable decent graphics, very good for a free-to-play mmorpg imo.

Currently closed beta after wish there will be a wipe. Open beta starts in a couple of days. No more wipes :)

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by NortonGB

wow thanks for the feedback about the game. Now when does this game launch? Or when will the last character wipe happen.

Some F2P games have open beta where the characters carry over to live.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

Originally posted by Devalon

wow thanks for the feedback about the game. Now when does this game launch? Or when will the last character wipe happen.

Closed beta will end on Sept 6th with a wipe. Open beta atarts soon after, don't quote me but I believe there will be no more wipes.

• yokam888yokam888 Member Posts: 87

been trying it for 2 days now.

- low system requirements

- graphics

- i can choose a fat character/toon ^_^

dislikes:

- not many players atm

- clicking on doors to enter/exit needs double clicks

- controlling/steering your ship is kinda hard

so far thats it after 2 days :)

(\__/) Why Can't You Put
    ( ^.^) The Bunneh
    (")-(") Back In The Box?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Devalon

Closed beta will end on Sept 6th with a wipe. Open beta atarts soon after, don't quote me but I believe there will be no more wipes.

Often F2P betas aren't betas in the same way as we think of them in regards to AAA titles.  They charge for cash shop items, and can stay in "beta" for years, so they don't wipe.  More like how Farmville is a so-called beta.

As for this game specifically, I don't know.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

I think anyone who was a fan of the old SNES series, will absolutely *love* Uncharted Waters Online. It surprised me how absolutely they caught the "soul" of the original game even though a number of elements are different. (For instance, in the online version, you cannot trade at a port if you do not have the language  or earned a "Port Permit" for it; you can be professions like Chef, Archaeologist, Thief, Bounty Hunter, train from about 80+ skills, and choose from over 160 different ships. You can avoid combat completely or be a pirate, your choice.

However the game is also aimed at a narrow "niche" market -- it will have a harder time finding followers among  fans of the newer "action MMOs" as there is more thinking and reading to do, the graphics are very pleasant yet also very dated for those focused on "Aion" style triple-AAA titles. And -- you can't jump!!!

Since you are quite familiar with the SNES game, think of your friends who would like this cult classic console game -- odds are these players will love the online version. It's newer, better, more vibrant -- yet you will immediately feel a wave of nostalgia at how similar it still is.

Now think of your frinds who would not "get" why you still play an 8-bit console game released 16 years ago and furiously scribble away written notes to yourself as you play -- they will probably also not "get" the new updated online version, either. I have seen a lot of new players who logged in for a bit, complained about the game, then logged out to go back to waiting for GW2.

For those who like it however, it is the most addicting game I have played since ... well, since Uncharted Waters: New Horizions ^_^

It's driving me absolutely nuts waiting for the game to come back online, as the more I play the more addicted I become. No one has any idea how long till open beta starts, whether it is hours away or still weeks away.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

What are they going to sell in the cash shop? Will it be pay to win? That's the one thing keeping me away from this game. If it were subscription, I'd be there.

Once upon a time....

No one knows that either, however players who played on the asian servers (It's been out about five years in Japan, Korea & Taiwan) seem to feel the item shop portion is not "broken" or imbalanced like it is in some games. Probably fluff pets, XP potions, maybe temporary port permits or increased storage  -- it's all a guess. It was subscription based also in Japan for many years, but recently went free to play item mall there as well.

However, the asian servers are apparently not trouble free either as they appartently do have gold farmers, exploiters, etc, and the publisher here is blocking certain country IPs from playing the NA version of the game, I guess to prevent them from migrating to "fresh spoils" here. Whether those country IP blocks will work, no one really knows yet.

(I am not even sure "NA" version of the game is accurate as I have met many players from Portugal, Brazil, Germany, Spain, and other countries. I guess they refer to it as the "international english" servers, as thats the official language of the servers.

Originally posted by Amaranthar

What are they going to sell in the cash shop? Will it be pay to win? That's the one thing keeping me away from this game. If it were subscription, I'd be there.

Cash shops will have items like +50% experience gain, +50% fame gain, +50% skill gain, +50% speed.

Mostly only things that will speed up your progression, not ruining the game imo.

• gamer123456gamer123456 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by bezado

Would love to hear from someone who has played the old SNES version of the game. I played that game and beaten it many times on the various characters. Loved it and it brings back some good memories KOEI........

So anyone play it, is it like the SNES version and should I try it if it is. I know many mmorpg games that once were a classic game got bad mmo versions. I at least would hope this one would be good.  http://global.netmarble.com/uwo/main.asp

hello.

I have played this game in approx 5 days in closed beta.

I also have played Pirates of the burning sea since start of closed beta and few years further on. (POTBS).

Nothing beats the sea battles of POTBS, thats for sure. But that doesnt mean seabattles in UWO is bad or not acceptable.

Whats diffrent from potbs is the sail positioning, which can be manual or skilled to auto. Thats a feature not in POTBS.

One have to judge it by trying itself. It felt a bit kinky navigating in seabattles, but that could also have its charm.

Ohterwise the possibilities in UWO is FARE beyond what POTBS can handle. Thats why I will go on play this game and probably sailing away from POTBS.

Another topic is the game might be free with  gamecurrency you can buy for real money. This is whats my biggest consern playing this game cause as European, Im used to pay for tha game and play it to its full joy.

If UWO is playable to its full joy at buying gamecurrency for approx usd 20 a month , I have no doubt playing this game.

I only managed to get two characters to lvl 10 and without the slightest need of grinding.

I would highly recomend this game.

Sea You in game when open beta starts.

regards Virgo

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

I've waited years for this game and after doing the CBT all I'm gonna say is i was not disappointed. I think I found my new home. When is UWO going to get on the Game List here?

Originally posted by dismantled

I've waited years for this game and after doing the CBT all I'm gonna say is i was not disappointed. I think I found my new home. When is UWO going to get on the Game List here?

I agree, I would much like to see UWO added to the game list, and its own subforum.

What can we do to help further this?

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

I can't believe I did not hear about this sooner! I LOVE this game and STILL play it on snes / genesis emulators on my PC. I know this is super geeky, but I have a wall size map of the globe, like you see in school, with all the ports labeled and crap ROFL. I also found this website once that had this nice printable layout with boxes for the barmaids name and port prices and the sextant coords and a few other pieces of info so you could jot them all down on these reference sheets, for all the different ports.

Can't wait for the OB to open, checking the official site but no release date is listed :(

Cash shops will have items like +50% experience gain, +50% fame gain, +50% skill gain, +50% speed.

Mostly only things that will speed up your progression, not ruining the game imo.

That's...not "pay to win"?

Once upon a time....

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Actually, not really, with the possible exception of the speed boost, since it would be the equivalent of an altitude advantage in an aerial dogfight. But all the good firepower in this game comes from port investment and custom ship building, and the big money needed to do that comes from trading, which has a constantly changing success rate, thanks to the game's economy model.

As long as they don't start selling battle-buffs or deluxe ships, their cash shop claims could see this turning into a pretty solid game.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Originally posted by Mehve

Actually, not really, with the possible exception of the speed boost, since it would be the equivalent of an altitude advantage in an aerial dogfight. But all the good firepower in this game comes from port investment and custom ship building, and the big money needed to do that comes from trading, which has a constantly changing success rate, thanks to the game's economy model.

As long as they don't start selling battle-buffs or deluxe ships, their cash shop claims could see this turning into a pretty solid game.

Are you kidding me, or yourself? A +50% skill gain is just like a battle buff, only permanent. I ndon't know how fame applies, but I'm sure there's some meaning to it. +50% skill gain, same thing only yet another layer. +50% speed, sheesh, in a battle or getting somewhere allowing you to advance more quickly? This is "Pay-to-Win" if I ever saw it.

Devs, I know you read this stuff, if not actually being behind these posts in one way or another. Fairness is important. If you're going to go the route of FtP with Cash Shops, cap these purchases to a dollar amount similar to a monthly subscription. And advertise that fact, so that players thinking about your game can see that it's fair. Advertise it as "like a subscription but allows you to skip payments if you want."

Once upon a time....

• gamer123456gamer123456 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Are you kidding me, or yourself? A +50% skill gain is just like a battle buff, only permanent. I ndon't know how fame applies, but I'm sure there's some meaning to it. +50% skill gain, same thing only yet another layer. +50% speed, sheesh, in a battle or getting somewhere allowing you to advance more quickly? This is "Pay-to-Win" if I ever saw it.

Devs, I know you read this stuff, if not actually being behind these posts in one way or another. Fairness is important. If you're going to go the route of FtP with Cash Shops, cap these purchases to a dollar amount similar to a monthly subscription. And advertise that fact, so that players thinking about your game can see that it's fair. Advertise it as "like a subscription but allows you to skip payments if you want."

--------------

This game is great, no doubt, but ....

I agree in one thing: Keep monthly realmoney giftshop costs  to an average monthly subscription to make game fully playable at max joyment, otherwise no Europeans will play.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Your reply suggests that you weren't able to try to the game during the CB period.

"Skill gain" would refer to how fast you learn/level up your skills, not their actual effectiveness when used. "Fame" is similar to overalll experience, in that it builds up with mission completions/regular activites and qualifies you for new areas of the world. It doesn't get you there, or help you survive there, though. Both are roughly equivalent to XP boosts in other F2P's.

As I said easier, the speed buff is the one that's questionable, as open-sea speed either makes it much easier to evade attacks by players, or makes it much easier to chase down targets. If the speed boost extended to in-battle, it would prevent/enable escaping, and make ramming easier (although certainly no safer for the attacker), but the combat engine doesn't give much advantage to actual combat from speed. So if you're looking to fight, having an opponent with a speed boost isn't actually that much of a concern.

Time will tell - the forums have been pretty vocal that they don't want a pay-for-power situation, and this game is already a little niche to begin with. Hopefully, they'll pay heed to that and sell accordingly. Me, I'd certainly be interested in a reasonable subscription option.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

the CB was decent. the game plays very well and graphicly its very nicely layed out and designed. there are a few minor graphic annoyances but that is more do to the age of the game. i was pretty impressed with the actual animated emotions you get from using the emots. as well tying to players near you, can some times cause your mouth to move. which is pretty neat for a game of this age.

its nothing like AoC on graphics. (sorry no big 48ZZ cleavage....) but it stands up for its self pretty well. 

they havent posted any IM items but people have been using the korean server shop (as netmarble are the same people hosting/running the korean server, as well as the NA/international server) most if not all of their buffs are time limited. pop the item and it lasts Xhrs. i dont really see it as a pay to win, as so far i have seen nothing that gives you a "get out of jail free" card

apart from the XP/fame/speed/skill buffs that really only aid you in leveling skills (which level naturally as you use them) to buffing your xp and fame (gained from exploring/battle/trading naturally as well as quests) so its not like you are hog tied and forced to buy it. you just wont get level 2 pillage skill the same time a person who used a skill buff IM item will. but at the end of it, you will still max it out the same.

all skills are learnable. so you are not forced in to 1 skill/class tree. you can start as a trader, and buy/earn battle skills for raiding ships or digging up treasure. which is a bonus. 

all in all its a decently designed game which is pretty rare given its an asian developed game, and is going to be F2P. 

time will tell on the IM tho, right now their staff are not really talkative on their forums so no one really knows what they are doing

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

I did great game nice community too I'll be going back once they finally decide to bring their servers up. heard OCT.1 is the date