Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it really anyones place to say "Stay away from this game?". Shouldn't we be saying "I didn't like

Well the title speaks for itself. I have been sort of put off by the amount of people who say "I hate this game! Don't play it either!"

For some reason these threads then become some of the most popular and most visited because of the drama that ensues, taking away energy, time and focus from positive criticisms and information about the game for others. A discussion and debate is cool but to merely state that you did not like it, your reason why and then flame the game and tell others not to play AND then to continue to flame the forum with your criticisms even after you decided the game isn't for you???

I undertand a persons right to speak.So stating you don't like some features, why and even telling others not to play(because you care ever so much about their time and finances right, how compassionate) is theoretically ok. But why do we as forum users then respond to it? And why then do these people who have said "I'm out, "this different game" is sooo gonna hit the spot for me" continue to troll the forums of games they don't intend to play. And I mean these people seldom get called out for being trolls. They are provided with legitimacy over and over by being responded to, as if the same complaint over and over by a person who said they don't intend to play should matter. Just leave that games forums right? We understand you are bitter about the game not panning out for you, but honestly, our energy shouldn't be wasted responding to your plights more then once, or at all really.

I am apprehensively awaiting FF14 but intend to buy it for sure and I must say every third thread is someone telling us why the open beta has convinced them to cancel their preorder and that others should too. But not only do they do this, they become these incessant "hangers-on" that will repetitively complain about cancelling their preorder, the open beta, SE and the game without end. Don't these people have lives? But not just FF14, Mortal Online and really any game that has enough hype to make it worthwhile for these attention seekers.

Bah, I apologize for my wall of text. But in your opinion do you think there should be more focus on telling people to try games for themselves, instead of saying "Believe me, no really, believe me, no honeslty believe me when I tell you NOT to play this game. Awful, just awful. Honestly? Honestly? Awful...Seriously." How about "Not for me, but maybe for you"

/steps off soapbox

I love snails.
I love every kinda snail.
I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
Cant hug every snail.

Comments

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

That would require some maturity. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, I'd rather have less of both responses, and more objective reviews of games. It's hard enough to weed through the haters, fanboys, marketters, and trolls; only to the heart of very little information. I don't think people should be telling others to play or not play a game, but more people should inform each other of how a game actually functions. If someone told me to try a game out, that they knew is bad, and I ended up wasting my money on it, I wouldn't be very happy.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

As long as there are people asking the question "Should I try this?", people are entitled to answer "no", whether it's games, pies or jumping off a cliff.  Honest word of mouth is needed to reward good games over good marketing.

My line of etiquette is that I never tell a person they should *quit* a game (at least not unless I'm willing to personally add two subscriptions for every one they drop), but warning them that I don't believe they will enjoy a game they haven't tried is fair game. 

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

While your at it spend some time defining like. People use like too often. Instead of saying I like xxx maybe they should said i enjoyed xxx, and then a definate amount....

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by maplestone

As long as there are people asking the question "Should I play this game?", there will people entitled to answer "no".  Honest word of mouth is needed to reward good games over good marketing.

My line of etiquette is that I never tell a person they should *quit* a game (at least not unless I'm willing to personally add two subscriptions for every one they drop), but warning them that I don't believe they will enjoy a game they haven't tried is fair game. 

Maybe a friend in RL. But how can you warn a complete stranger on forums that they won't enjoy a game? To each their own right?

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

Originally posted by Jetrpg

While your at it spend some time defining like. People use like too often. Instead of saying I like xxx maybe they should said i enjoyed xxx, and then a definate amount....

Oh my bad! Because I got confused and thought you posted topics for discussion on forums. Darn it!

I forgot these forums are just for people to tell other strangers what games they should play.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

I think sometimes there are occasions when you try a game, try as hard as you can to give it a fair chance, and the experience is so awful and far from your expectations, you feel compelled to warn others away.

I expect a certain basic level of quality (and I do mean basic) from (most?) games that are being published and marketed. I have given one or two review posts on this site for games that really were truly awful by almost any standard, not just mine (1980s graphics, unstable server side hardware, etc.) In general though, if it's more a case of, I tried this game & it's just not right for me, that's what I say.

So mainly I just mentally filter out the "This game suxxor te bomb" type reviews or posts and look for something with a bit more intelligence. Just the way I do it...

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

I voted no and here's why.

I personally trust those who had something bad to say about the game, or anything, than those who try to be objective. Because the reason why I trust them because it's honest. Sure you may not agree with it but it's honest. Compare to those who try to be objective, they are holding back the truth in an attempt to be objective and balance.

I agree that some are more passionate about their opinion, but you can also view it as someone trying to save your money.

Let's view a different scenario:

Say someone approach you and say, "don't go in to that store, they will pull down your pants and beat your butt with a stick."

Then someone else approach you and say, "I went inside the store, they pulled my pants down and beat me with a stick, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't like it, but you should try and go in there and see if you'd enjoy it."

Seriously, who would you listen to?

Ready for GW2!!!
  • thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Voted NO.

If the game has a free trial, then it is a good idea to suggest that.

I would have to hate a person to suggest them to spend money on subpar product.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Sure it'd be nice if people were saying "I didn't like it but try it and decide for yourself", but most people on here live in a free country.  They can say whatever they want.  Then it comes down to the moderators to decide if it's appropriate.

• TotemthumperTotemthumper Member UncommonPosts: 23

Is it really anyones place to say what someone else can say or not say.though your arguement has reason it is lacking

I feel like I was misunderstood. Like "try it if you want to" should have been the ending apparently. Not "try it and decide" because some of you think I am saying people should tll others to try bad games. Then again im sure some of the people voting are people who really do think their opinion should stop a person from trying a game they want to play.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by lancelot76

I think sometimes there are occasions when you try a game, try as hard as you can to give it a fair chance, and the experience is so awful and far from your expectations, you feel compelled to warn others away.

I expect a certain basic level of quality (and I do mean basic) from (most?) games that are being published and marketed. I have given one or two review posts on this site for games that really were truly awful by almost any standard, not just mine (1980s graphics, unstable server side hardware, etc.) In general though, if it's more a case of, I tried this game & it's just not right for me, that's what I say.

So mainly I just mentally filter out the "This game suxxor te bomb" type reviews or posts and look for something with a bit more intelligence. Just the way I do it...

I voted no and this post pretty much sums up why for me, especially when there is money involved.

If it's a case where there is a free trial then by all means I would've voted yes because a person is trying something without wasting thier hard earned money.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Lets stay on the topic of the thread.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Belarion

Well the title speaks for itself. I have been sort of put off by the amount of people who say "I hate this game! Don't play it either!"

For some reason these threads then become some of the most popular and most visited because of the drama that ensues, taking away energy, time and focus from positive criticisms and information about the game for others. A discussion and debate is cool but to merely state that you did not like it, your reason why and then flame the game and tell others not to play AND then to continue to flame the forum with your criticisms even after you decided the game isn't for you???

the place for honest constructive criticism of a game is on there official forums where the devs from the company can read the posts and try to effect changes that will make the game better for all. this is an mmo site for sharing information about games, there quality and value. should you take every post at face value-no. when there is a large majority of people posting that the games not worth installing should you look for something else- yes.

I undertand a persons right to speak.So stating you don't like some features, why and even telling others not to play(because you care ever so much about their time and finances right, how compassionate) is theoretically ok. But why do we as forum users then respond to it? And why then do these people who have said "I'm out, "this different game" is sooo gonna hit the spot for me" continue to troll the forums of games they don't intend to play. And I mean these people seldom get called out for being trolls. They are provided with legitimacy over and over by being responded to, as if the same complaint over and over by a person who said they don't intend to play should matter. Just leave that games forums right? We understand you are bitter about the game not panning out for you, but honestly, our energy shouldn't be wasted responding to your plights more then once, or at all really.

i care about my wallet, and therefore appreciate people warning me of bad products. its a  two way street, which means you have the choice of warning others about products if you choose to as well. two way street also applies to people promoting games that are not honest about the product. ie "i enjoy the game so others should try it" is just as bad as "i hated the game, so avoid it". you dont get to have one without the other. if your looking for censored positive only posts, you need to be on a games official forums not on an mmo sites forums. 

I am apprehensively awaiting FF14 but intend to buy it for sure and I must say every third thread is someone telling us why the open beta has convinced them to cancel their preorder and that others should too. But not only do they do this, they become these incessant "hangers-on" that will repetitively complain about cancelling their preorder, the open beta, SE and the game without end. Don't these people have lives? But not just FF14, Mortal Online and really any game that has enough hype to make it worthwhile for these attention seekers.

ive read some on both of these games forums. this is because i was considering trying out one or both. ff14.. i still might try as there are some legitimate sounding complaints, but nothing game breaking for me. MO... not going to look at it for at least another year, this is due to the amount of people making the same game breaking complaints about the game. its not due to any one person its the sheer numbers of people making the same complaints.

Bah, I apologize for my wall of text. But in your opinion do you think there should be more focus on telling people to try games for themselves, instead of saying "Believe me, no really, believe me, no honeslty believe me when I tell you NOT to play this game. Awful, just awful. Honestly? Honestly? Awful...Seriously." How about "Not for me, but maybe for you"

NO, not at all. people get to make up there own minds. your asking for people to be dishonest about there opinions of games and imo that is unacceptable for a legitimate exchange of information. its up to the users of this site to look at what the majority of people say, then make up there own minds. i read about various games before trying them, and then make up my mind from a variety of opinions. your asking for people to censor there opinions (beyond just for language)... thats wrong.

/steps off soapbox

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Honestly, so many people seem to love the idea. Weird. well I guess, just like in government, you get what you vote for.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• MordeathMordeath Member Posts: 131

Well, for one, if your not bent out of shape about a game due to your own actions (banned, etc) then say what you want. Frankly, I've had enough of being PC. If you bought a game and dont like it, and choose to voice your opinion then by all means you should. If a company doesnt respond to criticism by looking at the concerns its their problem, and if more feel the same way, the performance will falter. Normally is something is so bad that you tell people to stay away from it, it is, unless its the situation outlined in the first sentance, in which people will dismiss you and being in the wrong and play the game.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I didn't like this thread, but read it and decide for yourself. image

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i really don't care which they say.  i'll try whatever game i want.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I feel like I was misunderstood. Like "try it if you want to" should have been the ending apparently. Not "try it and decide" because some of you think I am saying people should tll others to try bad games. Then again im sure some of the people voting are people who really do think their opinion should stop a person from trying a game they want to play.

If it has a free trial, then I will generally tell someone to try it out.  If it is still full retail, I will give a yes or no.  If it is discounted, I may suggest to try something depending on how deep the discount is.  Otherwise I have no problem with advising people not to waste their money on something.  Also, no, i don't think my opinion should stop a person from trying they game they want to play, and I don't know why my opinion would do that, it is after all only my opinion.  If I really want to play a game, I will play it, unless there is very negative feedback from multiple people about it, but by that point I'll have likely lost interest in it anyway.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Oh my bad! Because I got confused and thought you posted topics for discussion on forums. Darn it!

I forgot these forums are just for people to tell other strangers what games they should play.

So .... your allowed to propose your thoughts of the topic, but i am not? Sounds like your engauged in the very thing you accuse me of.

I drew what i felt was an equalilant comparison dealign with the topic itself. Should people remian objective in stating their dislike of a game? It can't hurt but come on , there is room for emotion and undefined personal opinion. Now if they wanted a better agrument being objective could help them , but as to your question. It is as much as everyones place to say "stay away from thing game" as much as it is their place to say somethign is good or they like something. Becuase at the end of the day its just people stating their opinion (in your example is  a personal subjective manner). I feel if one is wrong so would be the other.

Besides i have seemed to miss this mass of people telling another people they are not allowed to try a game.

Now WHAT WE DO SEE, is people giving their personal accounts and then people saying your wrong (its their opinion how are they wrong unless its a factual thing, of which it rarely is, and with the largest [most informative] ff14 thread with negitive aspects, people attempted to dispute fact becuase they wanted the game to be good. Thus you have the flame war where some one is not attempted to say u can't try the game , but these are the problems and they are real).

If they want to add, "and i'll not be playing the game becuase of that", that seems fair no?

However, if you look at mmos recently, i think a lot of people want to express their experiences becuase many mmos of late sya they have all this stuff and its so great . . . . but it doesn't turn out that way.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

So .... your allowed to propose your thoughts of the topic, but i am not? Sounds like your engauged in the very thing you accuse me of.

I drew what i felt was an equalilant comparison dealign with the topic itself. Should people remian objective in stating their dislike of a game? It can't hurt but come on , there is room for emotion and undefined personal opinion. Now if they wanted a better agrument being objective could help them , but as to your question. It is as much as everyones place to say "stay away from thing game" as much as it is their place to say somethign is good or they like something. Becuase at the end of the day its just people stating their opinion (in your example is  a personal subjective manner). I feel if one is wrong so would be the other.

Besides i have seemed to miss this mass of people telling another people they are not allowed to try a game.

Now WHAT WE DO SEE, is people giving their personal accounts and then people saying your wrong (its their opinion how are they wrong unless its a factual thing, of which it rarely is, and with the largest [most informative] ff14 thread with negitive aspects, people attempted to dispute fact becuase they wanted the game to be good. Thus you have the flame war where some one is not attempted to say u can't try the game , but these are the problems and they are real).

If they want to add, "and i'll not be playing the game becuase of that", that seems fair no?

However, if you look at mmos recently, i think a lot of people want to express their experiences becuase many mmos of late sya they have all this stuff and its so great . . . . but it doesn't turn out that way.

WWWHHHAAATTT???

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91

Its a public service. Unfortunately while you don't need to tell someone "don't stab yourself in the face with a knife" humans are not born with such inate protections to danger from horrible MMOs

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

People are free to say and do whatever they like. If they want to tell others to not play a game then thats up to them. Equally if people choose to listen to them and decide to not play a game then thats also up to them. Likewise is it your place to complain about what other people choose to say? Yes of course it is.

Are you getting the recurring theme here? You can do what the hell you like and so can everyone else. Complaining about the freedom of spech is kind of pointless dont you think? Of course you have the right to complain along with everyone else.

[Mod Edit]

Awww Mr Moderator. It was only a joke image

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

First Amendment to the United States Constitution. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin