Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Half-Life meets Dark Age of Camelot

2»

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Czzarre

Yes, but this is all historical and lore. Which is fine. However why do they fight from a gameplay standpoint. DAOC had tangible benifits to players from taking keeps, gaining access to darkness falls, claiming and reclaiming relics.

the "I hate you, and everyone else like you" approach does not make for good incentive to fight in an MMO

The "I like your shoes......now they gonna be mine" is better (Albeit hardcore)

Well, we're still a year and more away from any launch and there hasn't been lots revealed of the ongoing storylines that players will get immersed in. But there has been some interviews that commented upon the relations between the factions and where they stand:

(Kotaku)

'The three societies are united in their war against evil, make no mistake. Their difference lie in their pursuit of power. They share common goals, but when the dust clears and evil is vanquished, each society wants to come out on top.

The battle for ranking and status finally brings us to the player versus player combat in The Secret World. While above ground the battle against evil is the main focus, deep within the hollow Earth, Cabals and secret societies battle for control of the world's most precious resource: anima. Anima is a key component for crafting items and objects in The Secret World. In short, it's the lifeblood of the economy, and the only way to get it is to either trade for it or take control of an anima node hidden deep under the planet's surface.

The PVP combat in The Secret World is called Battle for Hollow Earth PVP. Both solo players and Cabals do battle underground in order to control the precious anima, with Cabal coffers slowly filling the longer they possess a node. There is an element of strategy to the PVP battles, with players able to construct turrets and defenses to aid in the protection of their valuable property. There's also diplomatic strategy to consider, urging Cabals to form alliances and help defend each other from attacks from rival societies or risk being helpless when the enemy reaches their gates.

While players don't have to participate in PVP, what happens beneath the Earth's surface will have effects topside.'

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Yes, but this is all historical and lore. Which is fine. However why do they fight from a gameplay standpoint. DAOC had tangible benifits to players from taking keeps, gaining access to darkness falls, claiming and reclaiming relics.

Agreed.

The 'tangible benefits' would be competing over resources of some kind, whether these are commodities / items or territories that provide access to such resources.

For my money, PvP is all well and dandy, but unless there is a competitive reason to fight for finite / limited resources and/or territory - other than purely ideological resaons - then I feel that the PvP element will always be a little lacklustre.

As another poster pointed out, we are still (probably) a year away, and such information should hopefully be forthcoming in the fullness of time.

Cheers!

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Riotgirl

Agreed.

The 'tangible benefits' would be competing over resources of some kind, whether these are commodities / items or territories that provide access to such resources.

For my money, PvP is all well and dandy, but unless there is a competitive reason to fight for finite / limited resources and/or territory - other than purely ideological resaons - then I feel that the PvP element will always be a little lacklustre.

As another poster pointed out, we are still (probably) a year away, and such information should hopefully be forthcoming in the fullness of time.

Cheers!

Eh?

See post above, there I described what's known so far about PvP and the fight for resources in TSW. Sure, it's not the level of detail in info that we'll see increase in the upcoming year, but it describes the general picture I think  image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• DietaetherDietaether Member Posts: 36

Yeah, the reason for people to want to PvP is pretty well planned out. There is nowhere else to gather crafting materials aside from Agartha from what it looks like. Excellent. :3