Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My impression from like 5 hours

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

By default it's with wasd not exactly sure if you can move with mouse too didn't bother checking sorry.

If I log today I'll let you know.

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

Originally posted by bloodaxes

By default it's with wasd not exactly sure if you can move with mouse too didn't bother checking sorry.

I only ask because I started off in Lineage ][ a few years back. This being kind of the same genre for some reason I almost expect Lineage ][, Aion, and FF type games to be click to move. However, I've become accustomed to WASD. =P

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by Rhevin

I only ask because I started off in Lineage ][ a few years back. This being kind of the same genre for some reason I almost expect Lineage ][, Aion, and FF type games to be click to move. However, I've become accustomed to WASD. =P

It isn't point to click like Lineage.  Really it works best on controller in my opinion.  If not controller then 100% keyboard works quite well.  WASD + arrows to kind of mimic a controller.  The mouse is really uneccessary and more of an afterthought in FFXI and FFXIV.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by ProfRed

Originally posted by Rhevin

It isn't point to click like Lineage.  Really it works best on controller in my opinion.  If not controller then 100% keyboard works quite well.  WASD + arrows to kind of mimic a controller.  The mouse is really uneccessary and more of an afterthought in FFXI and FFXIV.

Im going to try controller, but as far as keyboard alone goes I havent found any way to run comfortably without the mouse.  Im not talking about point click mouse movement, I mean right+left mouse button movement which is what Ive used in every other mmo Ive played.  I tried using the 2468, but then I need to also move the camera using ijkl at the same time.  Its way worse.  There seems to be no keyboard only method to run around using just 1 hand.

• ThachsanhThachsanh Member Posts: 331

A couple things I noticed in this thread.

- Keyboard can be remap. I have no idea why people keep saying you can't remap your keyboard. You can.

- Final Fantasy XIV is obviously a multi-platform game. It will be played on both the console and PC at the same time. If SE make 2 separated control schemes and UI for a PS3 and PC version, they will have a nighmare maintaining the game. They can only have 1 control scheme and UI. However, keyboard+mouse is very different from game controller from the programming aspect to UI design aspect. A system designed to work well for one will not work well for the other. So, it's obvious that SE will have to pick a side and stick with it. With their experience in console developing, it's perfectly understandable that they pick the console style.

I played it yesterday with keyboard and mouse and didn't have major problems.

I'm probably going to play it the same at launch I only use mouse to turn camera, target enemy/npc and to remove the help icons/whatever from the top of the screen.

Btw for people that were more into the game then me is it possible to hide head equipment? I saw some of the guards equipment and I don't really like the masks.

@ previous poster I tried changing some of the little available key options but nothing happened :S what do I do to change keys?

• CelestialnovaCelestialnova Member Posts: 81

it does have steam support (cough cough i'm running it with it lol) but ya otherwise not bad indepth, and i think the mouse ise mine but i find just using hotkeys to get to the menu is still way faster (plus i think that the award for horrible mouse in a pc game goes to dead space imo but that's just me)

• MephistoRMephistoR Member Posts: 55

This game sucks ass. It's the worst MMO i've ever played.

The only good things are : intro cinematics, graphics, musics.

• MysticumMysticum Member UncommonPosts: 53

I'm surprised you stuck with it for five hours. I couldn't even stand an hour of it. The graphics are pretty, and that is the absolute ONLY good thing about it. It is the most amateurish junk I've ever infected my hard drive with.

Ok some screenshots dled frap to check fps and to take some pics :P

Some quick shots I took 5 min ago to show ppl some of the world:

imageimageimageimage

I may take more and post them later on but don't really want to burn myself so don't count much on it.

Originally posted by Mysticum

I'm surprised you stuck with it for five hours. I couldn't even stand an hour of it. The graphics are pretty, and that is the absolute ONLY good thing about it. It is the most amateurish junk I've ever infected my hard drive with.

Well people have different tastes maybe it's not your type of mmo sadly.

My only gribe atm is that loading takes too much and dunno what I can do to speed it up I even lowered the video settings of the world still took a lot =/ during loading fps drops to around 1-15 for some reason.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Ok some screenshots dled frap to check fps and to take some pics :P

Some quick shots I took 5 min ago to show ppl some of the world:

imageimageimageimage

I may take more and post them later on but don't really want to burn myself so don't count much on it.

One reason i love this game. Most of the characters are aestheticaly pleasing. Like i love it, you walk around and everyone is either a model, a big scary guy who is still propotional and appropriate looking, a cute teletubby or a sexy cat girl. Its fantastic. No option for outright ugly like in some games like Aion. But i give props to tera which is almost copying ff11's races altogether, they are doing it similar.

I think Ill choose hume and be a stud too. /sigh if only i worked out in RL

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

Originally posted by mwoodsknight

it does have steam support (cough cough i'm running it with it lol) but ya otherwise not bad indepth, and i think the mouse ise mine but i find just using hotkeys to get to the menu is still way faster (plus i think that the award for horrible mouse in a pc game goes to dead space imo but that's just me)

But do the chat windows come on screen? or only shows your playing final fantasy?

That's what I mean, well I could try it myself meh I'm lazy xD.

Sorry for the triple post but I don't know if it's possible to quote more then 1 person.

I'm running a Q6600, 6gB of G Skill, 64 bit WIndows 7, 9800 GTS SLI, and dual monitors.

I've yet to come across a game where I don't get under 40 FPS at max graphics. I just filled out the open beta and got my key. I'll need to download it though. Not sure how long that's going to take. But, I'm looking forward to playing. Past few weeks I've had the urge to return to Lineage ][ on a fresh account; maybe this will seize that urge. =P

Look in open field with many people around I get 30-50 fps more the latter if you stay still and in towns is another thing though cause there's many npcs since it's a lively environment and so my fps is around 10-35.

You shouldn't have much problems just don't exaggerate with the settings of visuals. 

Look in open field with many people around I get 30-50 fps more the latter if you stay still in towns is another thing tough cause there's many npcs since it's a lively environment my fps is 10-35 fps.

You shouldn't have much problems just don't exaggerate with the settings of visuals. 

Heh, first thing I do to every game I install is move every bar and place the game on highest resolution. If it doesn't allow me, I hop onto newegg and place an order. I swear my computer is worth more than my house. =P

The problem is with some options that I think starts unchecked for performance like ambient occlusion and depth of field from which I heard.

These are 2 that to use them you'll need a decent/good pc. Mine's nothing out of the ordinary apart of the ram but I never bothered trying them kinda scared my gpu's temp already goes to 95 from around 70s when I play ffxiv I don't want it to go higher lol.

I can't afford newer parts atm no money but the game is still very beautiful at low so no one should complain.

Anyone that knows a bit on the game knows were can someone get better gear/weapons apart of the starter ones?

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

lol the emote quest... I was raging a bit on the inside when I did that quest.  It's not the fact that each of the children did the same emote but the delay between the time you hit the "N" key and the actual window pops up for you to choose from it. 

I have been frustrated at times when the quest NPC specifically said something about the location being south but I find 30 minutes later that it was actually west. 

I am having fun for the most part but damn this game is sooo slow and unresponsive.  There are delays littered throughout the game that get on my last nerve.  I get a little annoyed when I have to wait several seconds when I'm fishing just for the window to pop up so I can tell it to wait.   Why must I wait a few seconds after I hit an X to close a merchant window just for another box to ask me if I want to end the transaction?  When you want to change items...delay, when you want to go through a menu...delay, when you want to move in any direction...delay. 

There seems to be better ways to handle some of the stuff they have in the game at the moment that will help make the game feel more responsive.  Why they don't have a tab system set up for buying and selling is beyond me.  It's not a bad layout for a controller UI so why not.  Rather than having to wait on the game to finally spit out a new window each time I want to go from buying to selling or ending the conversation is silly.

Fanboys will spew the controller excuse at anyone who mentions the unresponsiveness of the game but the bottom line is that if they planned on developing the game for the PC they should have planned appropriately for a keyboard and mouse set up.  I don't care what way you want to spin it, it just doesn't make sense.  They will get their box sales and I'm sure the game will be successful but if it was more responsive it would only be better off.  In no way is something that doesn't work well a good thing.

/endrant

Ahhh....anyway, with that being said I will still buy the CE because I think it is worth the 75 to play it for a while.  Whether or not I become acustomed to the slow ass interface I don't know but I'll try it.  I'm actually having fun talking to all the NPCs and figuring things out on my own.  I was glad I haven't come across a single ! or feather over an NPC head so that's a plus. 

Well...I'm off to play a bit more =) 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I dont think using a controller would have any effect on window delay anyhow.

Well, I'm trying to run the installer but I'm getting this:

Iunno. I'll disable AVG and see what happens.

Nope. Still get that error.

Yea, read that like an hour ago. I think that's the first thing that came up on Google. Meh. oh well. I might just go do something else tonight.

Damn need something else to play at this rate I'm going to get burned out from it :S

I'm getting the urge to login again lol but no one speaks ingame >_> 

If anyone from here is on wutai lemme know :P

[Edit]

BTW steam actually works with final fantasy but it also makes it crash if poped up frequently so had to remove it from library >_>