Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm curious...

RedslayerRedslayer Member Posts: 108

I've seen a lot of people say that the game is too complicated, Combat system/stanzas/etc... And that they couldn't figure it out or what ever... I'd like someone who had this problem to explain why...

Ryzom was the first MMO I ever played, And I never had much of a problem, I just learned as I went, Sure some things were harder than others to learn, but I did fine. And that was back when the starter islands were seperated by race, I've wondered many times, Is it just an excuse people use to avoid admitting that they just didn't give the game a fair shot? Or is it people who just wamt WoWish style play (not meant offensivly btw). Or maybe its kids trying it?

I've been looking over these forums and I've seen the complicated excuse a number of times, and it bothers me for some reason :/

Sorry if this doesn't come off the right way, its like 4 am so I'm not sure if I'm making sense lol. I really don't mean to be insulting, It just seems a little over the top for people who claim to play multiple MMOs to say this is too complicated, When I came in fresh straight up noob to all MMOs and did fine. As well as my mom/Brother and a few other peeps in their 40s-50s that started around the same time. (played seperately, so there was little helping going on, infact less than the people playing will give you usually).

I've only tried EVE and WoW after, I couldn't stay hooked in WoW past about lvl 30, And I liked eve, but never subbed because of comp and money issues.

~Redslayer-Saga of Ryzom~ Active again!
~Kinch/Lotu-WoW~ Retired
True RedSlayer - Eve ~ Current Primary game

Comments

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Short answer Red?

- The Masses don´t like to have to think. They like the "silver plate approach". And most games cater to that.

Just my oppinion. *shrug*

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • RedslayerRedslayer Member Posts: 108

That vid was pretty funny lol

~Kinch/Lotu-WoW~ Retired

"My brain huuurts!"

Do you dare to adapt?
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by MaDSaM
    Short answer Red?
    - The Masses don´t like to have to think. They like the "silver plate approach". And most games cater to that.

Just my oppinion. *shrug*

CU
    SaM

Hmm. I LOVED FFXI, and that is considered one of the more "hardcore" MMOs out there, due to having to really "think" and not have things handed to you. Yet I found Ryzom a bit dull and the stanza system overly complicated and annoying. I don't mind a challenge if the reward or effort was worth it. I found this wasn't evident in Ryzom at all. Also, part of the problem with Ryzom is complete lack of music soundtrack. To me that's a big NO NO, but that's just a personal opinion. I'm a sound guy and sound is the fastest way to my heart. (probably why I love FF so much, :D)

Huh?

There is quite some nice music inGame.

Did you maybe shut it off?

Granted, it´s not everywhere, but to me personaly, that´s not a reason to either call a game "not good", or "complicated" image

And did you discover the InGame mp3-player to, so to say, "create your own score"?

I think thats a pretty good idea. Even if it was/will be called a "cheap sollution" by some. So what?

They didn´t have much money! They´re NOT Blizzard/Sony for gods sake!

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?

Huh?
    There is quite some nice music inGame.
    Did you maybe shut it off?
    Granted, it´s not everywhere, but to me personaly, that´s not a reason to either call a game "not good", or "complicated"
    And did you discover the InGame mp3-player to, so to say, "create your own score"?
    I think thats a pretty good idea. Even if it was/will be called a "cheap sollution" by some. So what?
    They didn´t have much money! They´re NOT Blizzard/Sony for gods sake!

CU
    SaM

Wow...music. I searched high and low on their forums and all they said was, use your own music. No thanks. Also, its not the ONLY reason I didn't like the game. The combat bored me to tears. Money or not, there is no excuse these days for lack of quality in sound and combat.

Still, no reason why "it´s complicated" ;) And the stanzas are rather easy in my book. Like Legos on a scale.

Add here, subtract there to even things out, or get a bouns. What´s hard with that?

Anyway, yes. Combat is of course not AoC, or on par with some of the newest ones. How could it be?

Some like it, some don´t. *shrug*

I don´t too, but I still love the game ;)

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I tried to like this game, kinda like I tried with EVE. I've given it several attempts, and though people seem to dismiss any argument related to graphics as it can be highly subjective, the character models in Ryzom really bothered me. Like, bothered me enough to quit playing a few days after each trial. For a game that people say looks so beautiful, I'm continuously unimpressed by the aesthetic choices, and while I understand the game is several years old, there's really no amount of effort that's going to make me feel otherwise. It's fair to mention that the world feels fairly empty in the places I've seen, and I wasn't very impressed with the ability to change or adapt my spells or skills, which at lower levels makes almost no difference in the actual style of play. That probably changes at higher levels, but based on the trial experiences, there's not much this game offers that others don't, and I can find other MMO's that fit my aesthetic desires or have larger populations without much looking. This is an MMO that will always have a niche group of players, but I don't see it expanding beyond that, especially this late in its life.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Al personal and valid points.

Still no reason to say "it´s complicated".

Fascinating, how easily people miss the topic.

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?

Still, no reason why "it´s complicated" ;) And the stanzas are rather easy in my book. Like Legos on a scale.
    Add here, subtract there to even things out, or get a bouns. What´s hard with that?
    Anyway, yes. Combat is of course not AoC, or on par with some of the newest ones. How could it be?
    Some like it, some don´t. *shrug*
    I don´t too, but I still love the game ;)

CU
    SaM

Right there. Having to add or subtract anything, FOR ME, PERSONALLY, makes the stanzas complicated. I hate Math always have. I lean toward literature and vocabulary as my strong suits. Math makes my head hurt, even simple math to be honest. Hence why I find it "complicated".

I'm glad you like the game, suffice it to say, not everyone does.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Al personal and valid points.

Still no reason to say "it´s complicated".

Fascinating, how easily people miss the topic.

CU

SaM

I'm sorry, I just assumed that you'd be able to put it together on your own. My response was basically stating, in line with the thread itself, that I didn't find the game to be complicated, but aesthetically unpleasing. I don't really see why it matters whether or not I'm talking about the games complications, either. It's not like I'm trying to take a shot at the community or the title itself by saying, "graphics not good, didn't like", or by choosing to write about my specific reasons for not playing Ryzom, whatever they may be. I'm just adding another perspective, and one that really isn't as off topic as you might want to believe. Bottom line, we're talking about why people aren't playing Ryzom, right? Complications or otherwise, that's what's being discussed here, but people claiming these complications for the reason they don't like Ryzom makes up just one perspective from a veritable morass of conceptions.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• RedslayerRedslayer Member Posts: 108

Well my primary curiousity lies in how someone can say the game is too complicated. On that note.

I could see how a heavy lack in math skills could make lining up the stanzas more difficult (Or impossible if its an extreme lack of math skills). But at the same time, All you have to do is fiddle a tiny bit until the numbers match.

Not liking the combat/art style w/e else, Are all legitament and fair reasons to dislike a game. I don't like WoW I can never get past level 32(Highest) before I find myself bored to death. But that doesn't mean other cant like it... My #1 problem is the people who say the game is just too complicated, and thats there only reason for disliking it. It irritates me.

In all reality, I don't care who likes the game and who dont lol, This goes for any game. I just hate when people have horrible reasoning for disliking it. like if I said "I don't like WoW because the grass is the wrong shade of green... Game sucks!".

~Kinch/Lotu-WoW~ Retired