Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So secret that threads vanish (Why would anyone buy another game from Funcom?)

fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

What happened to the thread on Why would anyone buy another game from Funcom? Close/lock a thread or state a reason for removing offending posts - but for a thread to vanish is out of order ( I can't find it on search and the previous links are gone). Especially a thread which has been going on for 20+ pages and a considerable amount of time.

I think the thread should be re-instated or a public comment as to why it was removed.  If you view this as questioning moderation which is against the rules fine I don't really care - feel free to ban me.  Funcom have a an active influence on this site and then a thread painting them in not such a good light gets removed.  Add two and two together and you get four - are you perhaps more concerned about your paymasters than they are about legitimate comment on a company and it's game.

That thread shouldn't have been removed, I didn't catch the last comment by Cyphers but up until that point I saw nothing wrong with it. It was an active discussion, positive, negative and relevant.  If that meets your criteria for post removal you might as well delete the whole board.  Obviously this site has a bias towards Funcom because this is not the first thing that has vanished and related to Funcom. 

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Threads are removed all the time...get over it.

The Admins will never say anything anyway...no point in asking.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Couldn't care less to be honest, just trying to point out a bias towards Funcom.

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by fallenlords

Couldn't care less to be honest, just trying to point out a bias towards Funcom.

If you couldn´t care less why make a thread about that thread then? Maybe it was simply so that that thread was considered exessive trolling, flamebait or whatever. As sgtfrog said: Threads are removed all the time

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

They have no bias towards Funcom..threads are removed from every game.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I think the thread should be re-instated or a public comment as to why it was removed.  If you view this as questioning moderation which is against the rules fine I don't really care - feel free to ban me.  Funcom have a an active influence on this site and then a thread painting them in not such a good light gets removed.  Add two and two together and you get four - are you perhaps more concerned about your paymasters than they are about legitimate comment on a company and it's game.

This actually might be true as Funcom seems to advertise on this website. This is a commercial website and they need to make money. It might also not be true, but who knows or cares. It is there website, there rules and they can do whatever the hell they want with it. However deleting threads for developer makes the userbase angry. No userbase = no advertisers = no money. 

So assuming they take the lesser of two evils I guess they do not remove threads for developers. Anyhow no-one forcing your to be here. You can go to an other source of MMO information or even create your own website. 

Originally posted by Coman

This actually might be true as Funcom seems to advertise on this website. This is a commercial website and they need to make money. It might also not be true, but who knows or cares. It is there website, there rules and they can do whatever the hell they want with it. However deleting threads for developer makes the userbase angry. No userbase = no advertisers = no money. 

So assuming they take the lesser of two evils I guess they do not remove threads for developers. Anyhow no-one forcing your to be here. You can go to an other source of MMO information or even create your own website. 

They also advertise like 100 other mmo as well....

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Just because threads are removed from every game, that doesn't disprove bias towards FC.

Originally posted by dhayes68

Just because threads are removed from every game, that doesn't disprove bias towards FC.

People say the mmorpg.com has a bias towards x developer all the time..

It is all BS in the end.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

It is all BS in the end.

Why? There is clearly a financial relationship between the site and various developers

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It is all BS in the end.

Why? There is clearly a financial relationship between the site and various developers

You must have missed the hundred or so times accusations like this were levelled & responded to before.

The editorial team, forum moderation team are one part of the business & has nothing to do with advertising on the site.

People always feel more comfortable concocting juicy conspiracy theories about everything rather than accept the bland, boring & mundane truth, the thread was probably deleted based on it being inflammatory & serving to only encourage a negative trainwreck instead of opening up a even-handed or balanced debate, just because it was around for a while doesn't mean it was a valid thread, the mods just hadn't got around to it in that time & when they did, BLAM!

But hey, if it makes you feel better to wear a tin-foil hat go ahead, you only harm yourself.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

If this topic disappears too please don't be surprised again. ;) why? first of all you are discussing moderation which is a complete no..no secondly this topic is just pure flame bait.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

Originally posted by Skuz

You must have missed the hundred or so times accusations like this were levelled & responded to before.

The editorial team, forum moderation team are one part of the business & has nothing to do with advertising on the site.

Do people really believe that to be the case?  Some people are more naive than I thought.

OK if there is no bias towards Funcom - reinstate the thread removing any posts they deem to be against 'the rules'.  It is heavy handed to delete an entire thread especially one that has been going on for some time and is 20+ pages long.

Do people really believe that to be the case?  Some people are more naive than I thought.

OK if there is no bias towards Funcom - reinstate the thread removing any posts they deem to be against 'the rules'.  It is heavy handed to delete an entire thread especially one that has been going on for some time and is 20+ pages long.

It is easier to delete and entire thread rather than 20 pages of flames.  

It happens all the time.

• NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40

do u think it could just be as simple as its more time efficient for the moderators to delete a pointless 20 page thread rather than going through it one thread at a time? Plus if you deleted some posts the whole thread wouldnt make any sense either.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

That thread shouldn't have been removed, I didn't catch the last comment by Cyphers but up until that point I saw nothing wrong with it.

I don't recall being obnoxious or aggravating in that last comment. In fact, I don't recall anything at all anymore what I wrote in it. Lol, sure puts perspective in the time I'm wasting in posting when I don't even recall myself anymore what I wrote.

Ah well, it's fun to do when I'm bored and should have to do more important but tedious stuff image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

It happens all the time.

Somebody needs to define what flaming is then, because I saw people posting opinion. I am still convinced if that thread had been more pro Funcom it would still be around.

I always thought moderation was about keeping things on track - not censorship. Deleting an entire thread boils down to censorship which goes against my freedom of speech mentality.  To justify the deletion of thread because it's easier - just means censorship exists and moderation is non-existant.

Originally posted by cyphers

I don't recall being obnoxious or aggravating in that last comment. In fact, I don't recall anything at all anymore what I wrote in it. Lol, sure puts perspective in the time I'm wasting in posting when I don't even recall myself anymore what I wrote.

Ah well, it's fun to do when I'm bored and should have to do more important but tedious stuff image

I can't imagine you saying anything out of hand.  Although we don't agree on things I have always seen your responses as more measured than mine.   

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

It happens all the time.

Somebody needs to define what flaming is then, because I saw people posting opinion. I am still convinced if that thread had been more pro Funcom it would still be around.

I always thought moderation was about keeping things on track - not censorship. Deleting an entire thread boils down to censorship which goes against my freedom of speech mentality.  To justify the deletion of thread because it's easier - just means censorship exists and moderation is non-existant.

This is privately owned and run website. there is no such thing as freedom of speech. If you break TOS your topic gets locked or posts deleted, its that simple.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@OP: Hmm. You're questioning the motives of the moderators and even more, the moderating itself.

That's begging for moderation practically on any site or forum. Will be interesting to see how this'll run its course.

/inbeforelock

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by kaltoum

This is privately owned and run website. there is no such thing as freedom of speech. If you break TOS your topic gets locked or posts deleted, its that simple.

Well the whole point of this thread is that thread didn't break any rules as far as I am aware, while ironically this is probably breaking rules.   But anyway, you can still have freedom of speech within a closed environment all it takes is active moderation and not censorship.  Anything that censors anything, privately run or not, is bad to my mind.  Moderate fair enough but don't censor, two different things.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Originally posted by kaltoum

Well the whole point of this thread is that thread didn't break any rules as far as I am aware, while ironically this is probably breaking rules.   But anyway, you can still have freedom of speech within a closed environment all it takes is active moderation and not censorship.  Anything that censors anything, privately run or not, is bad to my mind.  Moderate fair enough but don't censor, two different things.

kaltoum is correct.

Like it or not, your definition of freedom of speech is a fallacy.  

If you don't like the cencorship and the lack of moderation (in your opinion) that occurs here at MMORPG.COM; you are "FREE" to create your own site, or visit a plethora of other sites instead.  Now THAT is freedom.  image

Originally posted by xzyax

kaltoum is correct.

If you don't like the cencorship and the lack of moderation (in your opinion) that occurs here at MMORPG.COM; you are "FREE" to create your own site, or visit a plethora of other sites instead.  Now THAT is freedom.  image

Freedom of speech is being able to to speak without censorship or limitation.  Now I suppose in terms of rules of conduct/TOS you are right, limitations apply so freedom of speech on this board would be a fallacy.  But then freedom of speech anywhere is also a fallacy, because we have limitations imposed on us in law.

Overall this being a discussion board you should be 'free' to express any relevant opinion without breaking the rules.  You shouldn't expect a thread to be censored.  We agree to moderation I don't remember agreeing to censorship and they are two different things.

Originally posted by xzyax

kaltoum is correct.

Freedom of speech is being able to to speak without censorship or limitation.  Now I suppose in terms of rules of conduct/TOS you are right, limitations apply so freedom of speech on this board would be a fallacy.  But then freedom of speech anywhere is also a fallacy, because we have limitations imposed on us in law.

Overall this being a discussion board you should be 'free' to express any relevant opinion without breaking the rules.  You shouldn't expect a thread to be censored.  We agree to moderation I don't remember agreeing to censorship and they are two different things.

"Forums / Chat / Messaging Rules

Our Goal

We have not set out to limit people's freedom of speech or discussion. These rules simply strive to keep the boards on topic, productive and inclusive for all members. Accidental violation of minor rules will not result in strict penalties. We want our users to enjoy our boards and feel that these rules will ensure that everyone can equally.

Minor Infractions

Committing Minor Infractions at MMORPG.com will result in a first warning, followed by temporary bans. If the issue becomes chronic, a permanent ban will be considered.

* For purposes of our rules, we will work under a 3 strikes policy. A first offense results in a warning. A second offence results in a 1 to 14 day ban and a third offence results in a lengthy and possibly permanent ban. Warnings and bans remain active for these purposes for 6 months. Note that severe offenses may receive stronger action, even on first or second offenses.

• Religion and Politics

• MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics may be locked or deleted if determined out of hand by the MMORPG.com moderator staff.

• Language Policy

• MMORPG.com wishes to create the friendliest atmosphere possible in our forums and on our site. As such, excessive use of strong language will not be tolerated. Ex: The odd "bad word" is fine. A profanity laced rant, on the other hand, is not. Discretion will rest with the moderators.

• Topic Hijacking

• Posting comments within a thread which severely disrupts the original conversation is prohibited at MMORPG.com.

Example: Asking whether a game has PvP in a thread about crafting materials found in a new expansion is Topic Hijacking.

• Flaming and Personal Attacks

• MMORPG.com does not tolerate personal attacks on other posters. Please keep your arguments and posts on topic, and argue the ideas and topics of the thread instead of insulting other users.

Example: Telling someone that you disagree with their argument is tolerated, while calling someone inappropriate names is not.

• Game Attacks

• Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.

Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

• Spamming "Post Report" Tool

• We encourage users to report posts that they feel violate these rules, but if you spam or abuse the report tool, penalties will apply.

Example: Reporting a post we do not take action is not against the rules. Reporting the same post dozens of times, is.

• Using the Post Report Tool as a Method of Contacting the Moderators

• The post report tool is not intended to be used as a way for users to communicate with Moderators. If you have an issue with a warning or ban, please email [email protected].

• Referral Links

• MMORPG.com does not support its members posting links for which they are entitled to reward. This constitutes advertising on the forums. If you wish to purchase advertising with us, please contact [email protected].

• Trolling

• Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.

For example: If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated.

• Copyright and Press Material

• Reposting material in its entirety from other sources is against our rules. Quotations from things such as news articles are fine, provided it is cited and (if possible) linked to. We ask others to respect our content and ask our readers do the same for other people's content.

• NDAs

• MMORPG.com does not permit users to post information on games still under an NDA. For more information about your specific game's NDA, please visit their official website.

• Off-Topic Posting

• Posting in boards that clearly have nothing to do with your topic is not tolerated. Typically, posts of this nature will be moved to the appropriate board.

Example: A post in the EverQuest II boards about how much you love World of WarCraft is off topic.

• Virtual Trading

• MMORPG.com does not allow the purchase, sale, or trade of in-game assets, accounts, or powerleveling services.

• Individual Forum Rules

• Some MMORPG.com forums have individual rule sets – please check the forum description and any stickied topics for more detailed information.

Medium Infractions

At the discretion of the moderator and/or the Community Manager, the following infractions will be classed as either minor or major infractions and appropriate penalties will be applied.

• Inappropriate Signatures

• Signatures may not contain material that breaches MMORPG.com Rules of Conduct.

• Spamming

• Posting the same or similar messages over and over again for the sole purpose of disrupting a board's activity is against the rules.

• Advertisements

• MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].

• Resurrecting Locked or Deleted Threads

• If a thread has previously been deleted or locked by a moderator, it is against our rules to start another thread on the same topic. This rule applies if a participant in a locked or deleted thread re-starts the thread, a warning and 1 day ban will be issued. If this happens twice, the member will be permanently banned, no exceptions.

• Unofficial Servers

• Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.

• 3rd Party Programs

• MMORPG.com does not allow forum discussion concerning programs that go against a game's EULA. This includes, but is not limited to, third party programs to automate gameplay or gain an unfair advantage over other players. Please check with your specific game's EULA for more details on what is or isn't allowed.

Major Infractions

Committing Major Infractions at MMORPG.com will result in an immediate and permanent ban from the site with no pervious warnings or infractions. The is no room for leniency or discussion

• Hateful Content

• Hateful content includes, but is not limited to, discriminating comments about: race, ethnicity (what country someone is from), religion, age, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic status and political beliefs. MMORPG.com holds complete and total discretion to decide what is hateful.

• Pornographic Images

• MMORPG.com has subscribers of all ages and beliefs. Posting any pornographic images, content or links, no matter what the medium, will not be tolerated. At the discretion of the moderators and community manager, this rule will also be extended to include images of an erotic nature.

• Illegal Activities

• Either committing or the discussion of committing illegal activities at MMORPG.com will not be tolerated. Illegal activities include, but are not limited to: illegal drugs, fraud, violence, hacking, software piracy and sexual harassment. As appropriate, illegal activities will be reported to the relevant law enforcement agency.

• Multiple Accounts

• If the staff of MMORPG.com discovers that a user is creating and/or using multiple accounts, that user, and all accounts, both past and present, will be banned from MMORPG.com.

• Posting Other's Personal Information Without Consent

• It is against our rules to post the personal information of other people without their consent. This includes, but is not limited to, email correspondence, contact information, photographs, financial information and social security numbers. It is to the moderator's discretion to decide whether or not the line has been crossed."

Just Read this.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Who would register an account just to post a thread like that and then complain on another forum when it gets deleted?

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

There are hundreds if not thousands of threads on MMORPG.com bashing Funcom and its games.  If there weren't, almost the entire AoC subforum would be empty.  

Don't be so paranoid.  Threads get removed because someone violated the rules, generally someone gets a warning for it and they're the only ones that know why the thread was removed.   Yes, it is entirely possible that there is a bias.  But it's highly unlikely.  Like I said, there are tons of threads bashing Funcom for AoC or even AO launch.  There is usually something very specific that sets off a thread deletion - such as trolling, flaming or NDA violation.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

This discussion has been closed.