Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bright shadows dim (game closes)

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I played this game ages ago when it was in beta, but dropped it when it went out of beta. Just wasn't that interesting apparently my guess wasn't that far off. Well i got home today to find this in my mail box.

Farewell Bright Shadow

Dear Bright Shadow players,

First of all, we would like to show our gratitude for all the players who have played Bright Shadow. Sadly, we regret to tell you that the world of Bright Shadow will be closing in late October. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes, and thank you for playing. 

As a result, no PotCash items will be able to be purchased starting September 1, 2010. During this time, the servers will be set to the highest EXP rate for those who choose to venture further into the world of Bright Shadow. The servers will officially shut down on October 31, 2010.

Once again, we would like to thank all the players who have stuck with us to the very end. At this time, as a token of gratitude we would like to offer some other fine games we have at GamepotUSA. For being a former Bright Shadow player, we are offering free PotCash to those who try out one of our other two games available. For more information click on one of the games below. 

Down goes another game i suppose.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

No surprise to me. Everything in the game was created with the intent that you were to buy something from the cash shop and spend way more than $15 - $20 a month.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • VodineVodine Member Posts: 4

I've been playing Bright Shadow for quite a while.  I understand that the game might not be to everyone's liking, but I don't think it's the game that failed--I think the company failed the game.

A few months back there was an update adding some new features.  Great, right?  Except, when we logged in, we all noticed that our experience bars had decreased.  "What's up with the loss of exp?" we asked.  But we hadn't lost any exp, what happened is that GamepotUSA increased the amount of exp needed to level.  We now needed roughly four times more experience to level once we got to around level 60 as we had before the update.  Needless to say, the community was not pleased.  You can go to the Bright Shadow message board to look at all the threads about that.  (Oh, and that's when they took the mounts out of the game as well.  They were cash shop only after that, and they weren't permanent.)

This one changed caused a pretty good decline in the game's population.

More recently, rather than reverting back to the old exp tables, GamepotUSA announced a 4x exp event, which turned out to be about 2.8x exp.  Still, it helped, and they kept the increased exp for killing mobs in place (though there was no increase in the amount of exp quests gave).

But then the release of Episode II came, which we were all waiting for.  Level cap went up to 99, third job was introduced--and the party system was changed so now, rather than getting an experience bonus for partying, exp was drastically reduced (and the poor healers were left twisting in the wind).  Also, the mobs in Ep2 had their experience reduced, too.

And let's not even get into the things in the game (that are in the Japanese version) that were never implemented in the GamepotUSA  version.

So yeah, Bright Shadow might not have been the most original game in the world.  It didn't break any new ground and the end game was grindy, but it's also the only game that ever really hooked me.  I spent a lot of time playing that game, and I don't want it to close.  Personally, I blame GamepotUSA for this, but I talked about all of that a lot at the game's forum.  Mostly, I'm just really sad that I won't be playing it anymore.

• VodineVodine Member Posts: 4

According the to Japanese Wiki, in that version of the game it takes  1,170,382 exp to go from level 65 to 66.

In the US version of the game, it took  5,276,216 exp points to do the exact same thing. 

That, in a nutshell, is what killed this game. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Mmm, I better try it out before it's gone.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

They let Fantasy Earth Zero go too, and I really liked it =/

Stupid Gamepot.........