Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpg are all barnylands now!!!

Is it just me or are all MMORPGS going to be a bunch of barny lands or what?  I so miss the 1st year of UO when it came out.  The risk in that game made it so much fun.  I would really love to see another MMORPG game with more focus on player Vs. player, guild vs. guild.  P Vs. E is just getting so lame !!!!!

Makepeace

Comments

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Year 1 of UO was the absolute pinnacle of online gaming so far.

We poor, young, deluded fools couldnt see it back then. But all old school gamers now hark back to those days with much fondness. Whatever Garriot did back then he needed to bottle it and sell it. Becuase now its been lost and we may not see its like again image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• MagicStarMagicStar Member Posts: 380

I am ashames that Autoassault might have the main focus on PvE in the main game. But I know that PvP exists only in dueling arenas.

----------------------
    Give me lights give me action. With a touch of a button!

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

You miss the "both" option.

too open pvp in "dread days" were scaring the newbies away and making EA lose money, that's what caused the rep patch come out...I liked it, but it didn't appeal to majority...OSI was a business after all...

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

i choose P V E cause your post make me think you actually would like the return to FFA PvP and i can't really support that. I think PvP can add a whole new level of deepness to a game, but only if it is somewhat controlled and/or limited.

"PvP with a purpose" would have been my choice.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• jonsnow13jonsnow13 Member Posts: 67

Yeah UO ended up getting too personal because it was TOO free... for instance, I looted someone's house... they basically stalked me (asked around about me for like an eternity) because I killed him at his house, took the house key and stole everything.  He ends up finding out where "MY" house is at.  Every time I logged in for 3 days straight, he had one of his characters perched outside, no matter WHAT TIME I LOGGED ON.  On top of that, he kept showing up 24/7 for like the next couple of weeks... he didn't even have that much stuff... just about a month or two of play worth :)

Still, I thought he was going to try figuring out who I was in RL and kill me.  Maybe he still is... *looks around suspiciously*

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by jonsnow13

Yeah UO ended up getting too personal because it was TOO free... for instance, I looted someone's house... they basically stalked me (asked around about me for like an eternity) because I killed him at his house, took the house key and stole everything.  He ends up finding out where "MY" house is at.  Every time I logged in for 3 days straight, he had one of his characters perched outside, no matter WHAT TIME I LOGGED ON.  On top of that, he kept showing up 24/7 for like the next couple of weeks... he didn't even have that much stuff... just about a month or two of play worth :)

Nah that doesnt mean it was too free, but that the guy was an idiot. Could happen in PvE game aswell that you get some stalker, because you did something.
  • RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    I loved pvp in the old days we had alot more of a mature player base for most games back then personally i like a roleplay enforced PvP mainly because now you get the lil morons who lvl up too the uber area and simply gank or they camp and thrash newbie players making it nearly impossible to even enjoy the game and the pvp element.I tried playing WoW on a pvp server and found it annoying with the lvl 60s thrashin the noobie areas and the quest givers at the low lvls.And then in matrix online you got morons who wait at the hardline and pound you before you even load up.Most companys relize this problem and make either pve or they simply make games with PvP servers which is now days the situation most these new game comming out have servers for both kinds of gameplay and they arnt gonna force people to pvp if they have to pay for the game.
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

thats what Im talking about Johnsnow13....

You dont get adrenalin like that no more

You try to explain it to the kids of today and........... *trails off into a grandfather like rant*

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Wow jonsnow, that actually sounds extremely fun.

• MutuMutu Member Posts: 4
    Well some developers are still trying to make pvp orientated games but they keep failing, eg. Dragon Empires, Wish, Mourning.  Hopefully DnL will fill the gap later this year and Darkfall might eventually reach release.
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

Barnyland? I wonder how many of you actually played UO "back in the day" , i would put money on it most of you are just teenyboppers repeating what you have read so you can feel "kewl and leet"

There are plenty of PvP games or servers, if you dont like "Barnyland" then you dont have to play in it, but I know its roxor to type in big letters and insult Barneylanders with your mad PvP skillz. image

Godz of War I call Thee

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

I think I've played my last PvP game, it just attracts too many lamers.

• Sparky2004Sparky2004 Member Posts: 75

If you were that enamoured of old UO just play Siege.

• DekothDekoth Member Posts: 474

Originally posted by jonsnow13

Still, I thought he was going to try figuring out who I was in RL and kill me.  Maybe he still is... *looks around suspiciously*

Tch..so he stalked you...killed him once...kill him again. I had entire guilds that hunted me when I played, While they would kill me from time to time...the number of times I killed them individually more then made up for the few times they managed to kill me....Of course you think one person held a grudge? heh Kill a guilds leader whos being a dumbass placing a mage tower without anyone guarding him and has the master key on him....now that is a guild with a grudge.

Personally I miss first year UO, I miss the free open PVP without all the BS restrictions that OSI put in, and later EA. Dont get me wrong they have added some nice things to uo over the years, unfortunatlly not enough to outweigh the bad things they have added. Of course this is Why myself and some friends Started our own UO shard, We are running newer clients..but still mostly pre AOS, however we have removed the majority of the stupid things that were added, and tried to keep the best stuff for both PVP and Pve...with a heavier focus on PVP of course. Thus far our playerbase is loving it and growing pretty rapidly considering we went live Friday.

• makepeacemakepeace Member Posts: 12

What i am saying there are no risks in mmorpgs anymore.  Every good game thats out there being made is for barnylanfers !!!!!  I just wish someone would make a pvp / gvg game out there.  When people with balls have a game to play.

Lifestorm/Makepeace/Hole/Brotha Lov     UO Pacific

Lifeblood   EQ   Tribunal

Warspaz   EQ2  Nektolus  

Dirtnap   SWG    Flurry    "GSF"

and played AC/AC2/AO/DAOC/LINAGE2 and some other mmorpg

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by makepeace

What i am saying there are no risks in mmorpgs anymore.  Every good game thats out there being made is for barnylanfers !!!!!  I just wish someone would make a pvp / gvg game out there.  When people with balls have a game to play.

Lifestorm/Makepeace/Hole/Brotha Lov     UO Pacific
    Lifeblood   EQ   Tribunal
    Warspaz   EQ2  Nektolus  
    Dirtnap   SWG    Flurry    "GSF"
    and played AC/AC2/AO/DAOC/LINAGE2 and some other mmorpg

What I dont understand it... you happily sign that you have EQ, EQ2, SWG and modern UO(all barneyland games according to your vision).

However you merely state L2 or DAoC?  Was that to hardcore and to PvP for you?

I am a carebear lover myself, I will never play a PvP RPG unless it is completely game based turn with no real time component, so let's just say I will not be a PvP player in the near future of the RPGs coming out.  But you seem to trash the genre, yet hold to the most carebears, if you want PvP, shouldnt you be supporting a game with some decent PvP?

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• makepeacemakepeace Member Posts: 12

Well I do not play all of these games anymore !  I am just saying I have played alot of mmorpgs and all I have is barnyland to chose from.   Name 1 good pvp mmorpg thats out there?  You can't because there isn't any

Makepeace

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by Rammur
    I loved pvp in the old days we had alot more of a mature player base for most games back then personally i like a roleplay enforced PvP mainly because now you get the lil morons who lvl up too the uber area and simply gank or they camp and thrash newbie players making it nearly impossible to even enjoy the game and the pvp element.I tried playing WoW on a pvp server and found it annoying with the lvl 60s thrashin the noobie areas and the quest givers at the low lvls.And then in matrix online you got morons who wait at the hardline and pound you before you even load up.Most companys relize this problem and make either pve or they simply make games with PvP servers which is now days the situation most these new game comming out have servers for both kinds of gameplay and they arnt gonna force people to pvp if they have to pay for the game.

Wasn't it this very ganking your are claiming people are doing now, the same exact thing that caused UO to change? Players waiting outside of cities or outside of newbie players. Nothing has changed, in how some people abuse PvP other then developers have put in elements to stop that behaviour. PvP with a purpose like Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot are great. I really enjoyed playing them. Yet with open PvP, its far to easy for a person to say they are "role playing" and then go around stalking low level players or jumping players after a long and dangerous fight. Faction based PvP is really the way to go I feel. While being able to have complete freedom is ideal, you can't cause of all the abusers out there. It's bad that those that don't abuse open PvP get lumped in with those that do but that's not going to change I feel. As people grow up and mature (that' s not to say that there aren't a great deal of adults that abuse and act just as horrible as younger players) there are still those that are younger and less mature.

Though at the time UO came out, I wonder if what happen in UO can really be blamed on younger players. With it being a pay to play game, I'd think more adults, that grew up playing the Ultima games or online games at the time would have been playing more.

• lerwenlerwen Member UncommonPosts: 34

shadowbane is pretty good pvp game. it got pvp and guild vs guild stuff.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Play shadowbane sounds like a perfect game for you.

• XiraXira Member Posts: 437

I think that part of the attaction of origonal UO was that it DIDN'T attract too many lamers. A lot of them yes, but not 'too many'.

In effect when UO came out it was the only game in town. You played it or you played nothing. Thus it attracted care-bears and griefers alike. Back in those days too the internet was more elite...You had the inteligestia online more than the beer swilling anti social jerks. Those people are more likely to be nicer:)

I suppose that ultimatly it boils down to this. Ultimaitaly why 1-year UO can never come again.

If you give the top 15% anyonomity and freedom, you end up with a fun and exciteing experiance.
    If you give the top 80% anyonomity and freedom, you end up in hell.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Xira

I think that part of the attaction of origonal UO was that it DIDN'T attract too many lamers. A lot of them yes, but not 'too many'.
    In effect when UO came out it was the only game in town. You played it or you played nothing. Thus it attracted care-bears and griefers alike. Back in those days too the internet was more elite...You had the inteligestia online more than the beer swilling anti social jerks. Those people are more likely to be nicer:)
    I suppose that ultimatly it boils down to this. Ultimaitaly why 1-year UO can never come again.
    If you give the top 15% anyonomity and freedom, you end up with a fun and exciteing experiance.
    If you give the top 80% anyonomity and freedom, you end up in hell.

a shame that "top 15%" was SO bad that Origin HAD to change the game or lose all its subscribers...

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

You call people that play PVE MMORPGs barnyland. Yet we represent a higher population percentage to you hardcore gamers.

And the reason why companies are making MMORPGs easier to play is because most people don't want to play MMORPGs with permadeath or get their loot stolen.

Best example is World of Warcraft. If you read the forums, you'll see at most 10,000 posts of whinners and complainers out of the 1,500,000 PLAYERS! Even worst, out of those 10,000 complainers, half of them are probably the same person just switching player names to reply to their own threads.

Theoritically, since we PVE players represent a higher majority to hardcore players, it probably means that is the real way a MMORPG should be.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78
    I really can not play non PvP games.  To me it just seems like a single player game.  I want the thrill of attacking and being attacked by real live people.  But to each his own!

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Johnark

Theoritically, since we PVE players represent a higher majority to hardcore players, it probably means that is the real way a MMORPG should be.

No its not the *real* way to go!  Just one way to go.  It is tougher to make a good PvP game so many devs just skip it to satisfy your type who like to only kill NPC.  I think there is a very large population of PvP'ers and devs should make at least some type of PVP in there game but this is just MO.  I am really hoping for D&L! image  but I have to wait a while longer  image

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"