Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder how things would be if Shadowbane was a little different? Possible idea

EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

I've tried Shadowbane before and it was good, but getting into a guild was hard. Never had enough time to really get to know the bigger guilds when I tried the last time. I wish I had stayed in the game when it first came out. I knew a lot of people since everyone was starting up. I doubt I'd be able to get back into the game now, seeing as the population was low and people didn't seem that open about allowing in players to join their guilds so you could level up.

Anyway, I've been wondering what if Shadowbane was a little different. I wonder if it would be more popular and with more players.

Picture this as an idea for a special server. They kept the city building and the city sieges yet limited the PvP. Meaning that there was no open PvP save for guilds that openingly declare war on each other. If you weren't at war with a guild that controlled an area you were hunting in, part of the experience gained from your hunting and gold gained was automaticly given to Tree of the nearest city you were hunting near. That way, those without guilds could hunt and explore the land(though just take in the sites) and not have to worry about being griefed at a low level. This would allow new nations to be built.

Now with that you can still attack the city of another group if you feel they are too close to you or simply just because. You could still have the political situation but it would be a little different. Since there is no open PvP you couldn't just go around starting wars that way. Yet at the same time, if there is a problem with another guild for what ever reason, you could declare war on them. If the other guild doesn't accept, you can still simply start attacking their city which will force the war anyway. The first way of declaring and them agreeing, you could set terms for the war, like come to an agreement that only certain cities are open to attack while main cities aren't or something like that or certain level ranges aren't to be attacked. While going directly for the citty trees declares all out war. Some guilds and nations might want to avoid the all out war and might welcome the civilized version based on agreed upon terms for a certain time. Days, weeks, months.

Just think that it might be interesting if things were setup. Make it more open to the average player. PvP is still the main focus yet things are more toned down. I've love to see a game that does it similar to this. In the end, you would still have guilds allying with each other and it might end up being open war if it ends up being just two nations on the server due to people picking sides or leaving nations to start up a neutral city/nation and then being dragged back into the war either because they are tired of how certain people are acting or they just want to fight other players.

Already the different servers have different rule sets and different maps.

Just an idea. I know a lot of people might like it and feel SB is just fine the way it is. I wish I could maybe present this idea on the official boards. Maybe a dev would see it and think it might be worth a try sometime down the line. Yet I can't post unless I have an active account and I don't. Maybe someone else might be kind enough to do it and give some feedback on what was said.

What do others think? Would you like or dislike if WP/Ubisoft did a server like this at sometime in the future?

Comments

• Levithian_66Levithian_66 Member Posts: 143

Sounds a little care bearish, personally im not a ganker, nor do I want to grief, but I do like to have people TRYING to gank me, I just reactivated my account and I've killed 4 or 5 gankers already because I was walking around Khar etc... IT does sound interesting, don't get me wrong, lessen the gankers is what alot of people want, and I understand that... Anyways if im on the official forums ill see what i can do.

Lev

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    It would be a good idea if people actually played this game anymore lol

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• nOOObienOOObie Member Posts: 28
    might be a decent idea for a special ruleset server, but most people playing this game are happy with the way it is. also, newer players are kind of rare, mostly because there's like no advertising budget, so people join only off word of mouth.

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

"Hey we have a problem with dupers we can't seem to control, what should we do?"

"maybe we could crack down and do something about the dupes?"

"Shut up N00B!  We'll just limit what people can have on them and their banks, and sit and laugh while the servers crash!"

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by Levithian_66
    Sounds a little care bearish, personally im not a ganker, nor do I want to grief, but I do like to have people TRYING to gank me, I just reactivated my account and I've killed 4 or 5 gankers already because I was walking around Khar etc... IT does sound interesting, don't get me wrong, lessen the gankers is what alot of people want, and I understand that... Anyways if im on the official forums ill see what i can do.Lev

Thanks. A long shot I guess but would be interesting if they tried something like this just to see what type of response they got or how many players tried it out for a bit.