Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any DirectX 11 MMOs coming soon?

daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

any DirectX 11 MMOs coming soon?

was thinking to upgrade my videocard but dont know if its worth it to go for Dx11 card since I play only MMOs and havent heard of any having Dx11 anytime soon.

anyone heard anything?

Comments

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I believe Aion will be getting a major expansion that adds DirectX 11 support, but I haven't heard of any others.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

LOTRO is going to upgrade to DX11 in the next year as well. Not sure about games coming down the pike.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I hope so because I'm getting tired of devs catering to the masses all the time. Seems money>quality mmos.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

As far as I know, none have announced official dates for DirectX11 yet, unfortunately.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

does an ati 4870 run most MMOs smoothly on 1920x res?

cause its cheaper then a  5770 around my parts.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I highly doubt we will see mmos in the next 4 years that makes use of the features specific to DX11.  However, DX11 is backwards compatible down to DX8 which means you will see alot of developers switching to it for this feature.  This means you should be able to make full use of the DX11 mmo titles over the next few years with a DX10.1 card.

The HD4870 is the same card in almost all aspects to the HD5770.  The difference in price will be made up with the cost of electricity.  The HD5770 consumes less electricity in all situations and comes with a new substantial generation of power savings.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

LotRO is adding DX11 support in the next major update due later this year along with the new land mass and the  F2P hybrid payment model. The update is already in beta. However, not being in beta myself, I can't say whether DX11 is being tested already or not.

• DittoDitto Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by reaperuk

LotRO is adding DX11 support in the next major update due later this year along with the new land mass and the  F2P hybrid payment model. The update is already in beta. However, not being in beta myself, I can't say whether DX11 is being tested already or not.

Thats not saying much.The DX10 upgrade in LoTRO already showed how much it didnt help.I have seen DX9 effects that looked a lot better then what you see in DX10 mode in lotro.Adding DX10 and really using DX10 to a game engine are 2 different things.So far AoC is the only MMO out there to really use DX10 since they did a full overhaul on the renderer but then aagin AoC already looked great in DX9 (it looks better then Lotro in DX10 btw :  ) and mark my words that when LoTRo's DX11 upgrade surfaces that AoC will still look better,

DX11 "support" is going to be in WoW but you wont see much of it in effect.Devs either have to do a overhaul on the renderer (something Sony wont throw money at) or built a game with DX10/DX11 in mind from the start.Blizard wil keep their game low-end but at the same time they make sure they can taut high-end specs by being able to claim DX11 support.

^we have seen and heard  it all before.  :)

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Originally posted by Ditto

Thats not saying much.The DX10 upgrade in LoTRO already showed how much it didnt help.I have seen DX9 effects that looked a lot better then what you see in DX10 mode in lotro.Adding DX10 and really using DX10 to a game engine are 2 different things.

Seriously.. What!

How can yo not notice the difference, its a massive graphical jump.

The biggest thing for me that stood out was the depth and complexity of the shadows, it added a whole new realism to the game.

Maybe you didnt have the settings cranked up high enough, as I get the feeling DX10 is more of an advanced option to push the game above the max settings of what DX9 can show, rather than an alternative.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

Originally posted by Professor78

Originally posted by Ditto

Thats not saying much.The DX10 upgrade in LoTRO already showed how much it didnt help.I have seen DX9 effects that looked a lot better then what you see in DX10 mode in lotro.Adding DX10 and really using DX10 to a game engine are 2 different things.

Seriously.. What!

How can yo not notice the difference, its a massive graphical jump.

The biggest thing for me that stood out was the depth and complexity of the shadows, it added a whole new realism to the game.

Maybe you didnt have the settings cranked up high enough, as I get the feeling DX10 is more of an advanced option to push the game above the max settings of what DX9 can show, rather than an alternative.

The high ultra shadow setting in AoC already looks better in DX9 then Lotro's DX10.Yes if you have been playing Lotro since before the upgrade it is a improvement and i never denied it.DX10 uses shader 4 so all things will look "better" but the graphical quality beyond that has just never been there in lotro.LoTRo has been DX10 enabled ,beyond that nothing much has been really done with it..

I had and have all settings cranked up but lotro still doesnt look good ,some things look better thanks to shader 4 but i dont see where they actually changed things or really used DX10 features like SSAO , advanced paralax mapping ,advanced transparecy,underwater caustics ,motion blur,godrays (better ones then in crysis even,affecting the whole landscape) etc...all of wich have been implemented in AoC.

Crysis was the first to implement these features (tho even crysis had only regular paralax),followed by AoC and metro with AoC being the only MMO to do it )

None of that has been added to LoTRO and all the texturing and models are  still as bad as it was before it just got better lighting thanks to  shader 4.0.There is no way around it so far AoC is the only MMO to have implemented it to its fullest by overhauling the renderer completley for DX10.Sony flicked the switch for shader 4 in Lotro beyond that they did not change a thing.

in the end Lotro got to look a little bit better here and there AoC looks totaly different in every aspect woth the update.

(i cant help but keep mentioning AoC since there is no other MMO that does it like that)

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

AOC is indeed a very pretty game, but of course having graphics like no other game came at the price of having requirements like no other game. Integrated chips of all forms are 100% out, and the absolute bare minimum for good framerates is pretty much something along the lines of a Geforce 7800. You know though, I'm completely okay with that, because the visuals are amazing (presumably still, I stopped playing a bit after the DX10 client launched).

Originally posted by Catamount

AOC is indeed a very pretty game, but of course having graphics like no other game came at the price of having requirements like no other game. Integrated chips of all forms are 100% out, and the absolute bare minimum for good framerates is pretty much something along the lines of a Geforce 7800. You know though, I'm completely okay with that, because the visuals are amazing (presumably still, I stopped playing a bit after the DX10 client launched).

I have no idea of how AoC runs on a 7800 but its about 5 years old now :). i did play eve when i still had my 7950 but thats not a good comparison ofcourse Then again most onboard GPU's today wont have much trouble running a game like AoC in DX9. but sure,Onboard GPU's are out of the question with this game in DX10 mode but is that a bad thing? personely i was getting tired of seeing these sort of games being held back only in order to be able to attract as much ppl as possible like in WoW.But that is just buissenes talk,i am a end-user  not a shareholder and i think we should be happy a company took a real and brave effort into bringing a 2 year old MMO into the current gen.DX10 has been around for years and DX11 is amongst us now for a while already but we still only have one game in this genre that even really uses DX10.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Microsoft hasn't even released the DirectX 11 SDK yet.

Are companies modifying their code a bit to have the DirectX 11 title on their games, yes.

Are there any MMOs in the next year or so that are going to utilize all of the major features and improvements from DirectX 11? No.

It will be a couple of years for that still.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by daemon

does an ati 4870 run most MMOs smoothly on 1920x res?

cause its cheaper then a  5770 around my parts.

4870 doesnt support dx 11, just to let you know so you wont get disappointed :)

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Microsoft hasn't even released the DirectX 11 SDK yet.

Are companies modifying their code a bit to have the DirectX 11 title on their games, yes.

Are there any MMOs in the next year or so that are going to utilize all of the major features and improvements from DirectX 11? No.

It will be a couple of years for that still.

MS has not officially released the [/b]final[/b] release of the devkit.The devkit in its currents state has been released to many devs,MS would otherwise never allow it to be used or advertised on games that are now already on the market doing so.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

It's not just a question of whether a game uses DirectX 11, but which features of DirectX 11 it uses.

The big one is tessellation, which allows objects to have less detail in the distance where you can't see it anyway, and more detail up close where it matters, without having to pop between different models or bog down the video card drawing a ton of detail on distant objects where you can't see the detail.  Tessellation is the only DirectX 11 feature that Nvidia seems to think was worth giving a big write-up to on its page.  AMD mainly highlights Tessellation as well, but has a more extensive write-up on DirectX 11, likely because AMD beat Nvidia to market with DirectX 11 cards by a huge margin.

AMD also says that DirectX 11 will naturally thread CPU code better, so that a game will more easily scale to use more processor cores.  It's understandable why Nvidia wouldn't care so much about this.  Intel seems to think this is the only DirectX 11 feature that matters.  That won't be visible to players, but will just make it easier for a game to avoid seeming badly coded and giving you awful frame rates because it can't use enough CPU cores.

Order independent transparency might be a nice touch here and there, but it's something that you could just as easily do without.  The various lighting effects seem to mainly be an effort at increasing GPU load so that the people who obsessively have to max settings without caring whether it improves image quality will need to buy more powerful hardware.  Depth of field actually makes a game look markedly worse than not using it, so the most important thing about that is if a game lets you turn it off.

The other reason why DirectX 11 is a big deal, and that should help it catch on quickly, is that it means programmers only need to write one code path.  The reason DirectX 10 never caught on is that a DirectX 9.0c card can't run DirectX 10 code.  Since many people don't have DirectX 10 systems, if a game wants to use DirectX 10, the company has to write one code path for DirectX 10, and a separate one for DirectX 9.0c.  DirectX 11 allows the company to code things just once, and ti will run on a system that uses DirectX 11, 10, 9.0c, or whatever, and simply disable whichever features the hardware or OS can't handle.